Hey lads, Zoomer here

Hey lads, Zoomer here.
I've heard quite a few good things about Cerebus from Youtube talking heads, failed normies, and people on here.
How good is it?
I've heard that it was basically Berserk meets "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" meets "In the Realms of the Unreal".
Is that true, or was the guy I was talking to at my local GeeDubs bullshitting?
Should I read it?
Is it furryshit?

Attached: 5002958-cere.jpg (483x640, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo_Anthropomorphics
discord.gg/crrySQS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The author is a sexist so you shouldn't bother.

The author is more mentally unstable than Moore and it shows as the series goes on. I'd leave it alone.

The author is our guy bc he says offensive stuff. Never really read the comic or whatever but I support him I guess in theory. So yeah definitely worth reading.

I mean I'm Jewish but I still like Wagner.
Is it a case where the guy is batty but his stuff is still awesome, or does it all seep into the material?

>In the Realms of the Unreal
It's not really anything like that, but ignore the butthurt Sim-shitters who've either never read it or just hate it because they don't like Dave Sim's politics. It's an excellent comic, and Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore still say as much despite not agreeing with Sim's beliefs.

It starts off as just a fantasy parody (albeit a pretty good one) then gets progressively better until it's pretty much the best comic ever written, then it goes a bit batshit. IMO it's all worth reading though. And Dave doesn't give a shit if you pirate it, but you can buy digital copies from his website. Some of them have been cleaned up and look really good.

Attached: cerebus_no_more_talk.jpg (650x524, 138K)

Well, I can tell you're a zoomer because it's 15 years older than Berserk and the earliest from Cerebus material is parodying sword and sorcery like Conan the Barbarian. Yes, it's very good, and you should absolutely read it. It's fascinating and a rollercoaster of all types of entertainment done in many different styles. It absolutely holds up to day. Of course you'll get people (like in this thread already) who are claiming it's le epic racist sexist xd who obviously haven't read it for themselves. And no it's not furry either.

The first ~200 issues are pretty good and intermittent issues from there on. The Last Day is also good. My god is most of 200+ a chore to read, though.

Imagine a story that starts in mediocrity, rises to excellence, and then ascends into complete madness. But it has a throughline and it organically escalates from stage to stage. That’s Cerebus.

It’s good, it really is and it’s worth a curious read. But it won’t be fantastic the whole time. Treat it as an educational experience and enjoy the good.

Also they made little plush Cerebus toys in the 80’s and I am going to find one.

>Imagine a story that starts in mediocrity, rises to excellence, and then ascends into complete madness. But it has a throughline and it organically escalates from stage to stage. That’s Cerebus.
> So every single Kazuo Umezu manga ever? I love that guy's work.

It doesn't start mediocre. It's still quite good right away. Don't fall for the start at High Society thing.

People get way too excited about a cartoon pig playing DnD.

He was great in Spder-verse

>Aardvark
>Pig

*Earth-pig

Attached: cerebus-bi-weekly-08-21.jpg (762x599, 106K)

Peak points:
>High Society
>Church and State

Excellent:
>Cerebus Vol 1
>Jaka's Story
>Melmoth

Good:
>Going Home
>Form and Void

Okay:
>Flight
>Minds
>Guys
>Rick's Story

Bad/Meh
>Women
>Latter Days
>The Last Day

Schizophrenia:
>Reads

Stop, his hand is already ded:
>Cerebus in Hell

>How good is it?
It's a rollar coaster of quality. Storywise the highs are the first half of the story and a gradual descent. Art is high quality for details and expressive, especially the lettering.

>Berserk meets "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" meets "In the Realms of the Unreal". Is that true, or was the guy I was talking to at my local GeeDubs bullshitting?
Its in the ballpark, very general summary.

>Should I read it?
You already seem curious so yes. Start at the beginning, certainly get to Church and State, and see how long you last when Dave's literal madness sets in somewhere after Jaka's Story.

>Is it furryshit?
Is there sex? Yes. Is it the focus? No. Cerebus is literally one of three non-humans you will encounter. Any sex that happens has consequences to relations that are just as good/shitty to him as they would in the real world.

The way that mouth works is nightmare fueling me.

You have Latter Days and Reads switched. "All women are dumb" is just being a jerk. "All women are dumb and evil because they were misled by the false deity YHWH" is schizophrenia.

Also, The Last Day was perfection. It's exactly the ending that he deserves.

>YHWH
Yes, you called?

Attached: 4BrLROlb.jpg (934x934, 80K)

Read whatever interests you. I can't recommend it because I don't read fantasy but there's no harm in trying anything. It's better than reading 4channel all day.

Is this the namesake for "Cerebus Syndrome?"

>Cerebus Syndrome
>A Tone Shift towards Dramedy over the course of a comedy series' run, named for the process undergone by the print comic Cerebus the Aardvark.
>note
>It should not be confused with the slide from drama to Author Tract which happened much later in the same comic's run, due to Creator Breakdown.

>And no it's not furry either.

How?

I think user means it's not furry in that it doesn't sexualise anthro characters. That's the most common meaning of the term, at least on Yea Forums.

>And no it's not furry either.
I don't think the idea of furry as it's commonly thought of today existed when these comics were made. Even stuff like pic related.

Attached: img18.jpg (692x1000, 410K)

Mediocre doesn’t mean bad, it just means average.

Kill yourselves.

“Dave Sim is mentally unstable” isn’t an opinion m8, the dude is perhaps one of the best living examples of an individual mania effecting their art.

Yo wait what's that about Wagner?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo_Anthropomorphics

>t. didn't learn in middle school to separate artist from the art

I don't even care about this series but you're a fucking moron

look up Jewishness in music

literally the best Comic Book series ever written
if you're a pleb just stop at Rick's Story and just assume Cerebus gets a happy ending

Oh I thought you meant Matt Wagner, my bad

How does one separate art from artist when the art showcases what's wrong with the artist?

Why didn't you read the entry about it before asking

discord.gg/crrySQS

The original poster isn't saying that. They're saying that Dave Sim being sexist in general is what would turn someone away from the product, even though this doesn't inherently mean anything in regards to the quality. If they had said something like I wouldn't have said anything.

I mean the ending of Rick's story ain't happy regardless, since it basically proves that Cerberus is just gonna keep making the same mistakes.

The first half of the run is amazing, and most of the latter half is good too. It's just insanely frustrating that Sim finally went completely off the rails during the very last book, and it's like the story has been filtered through a schizophrenic who can't shut up about his crackpot theories about god and the feminist-homosexualist super soldiers who are going to defeat and destroy the world.

And yet, the majority of female characters in Cerebus are also the most developed and complex (at least before his full descent into schizophrenia).

>Berserk
Cerebus isn't much like Berserk at all outside of the fact that both were influenced by Conan at the start of their runs. Berserk more or less stayed close to its sword-and-sorcery roots while Cerebus diverged wildly and became its own thing.

Attached: 2FA94C0A-BA04-438D-8E13-A228B157ADE6.jpg (650x972, 267K)

It's worth a look, since it's experimental and creative. It's a mixed bag in many ways, so you should form your own opinion on it.

You'll hear about it a lot because people like will praise it for entry-level hipster cred. It's honestly most significant for the author's hard stance on independent self-publishing, which was a very niche field at the time.

It starts out comedic and then goes serious. The serious part is ambitious and it has rare excellent moments, but for the most part is the kind of writing you'd expect from a whitebread middle-class stoner who thinks he's an intellectual.

It's definitely interesting but not that good.

Maybe the first 5 issues or so were mediocre, but the general first phase was definitely better than average, in that it was very creative and legitimately funny.

I thought the early comedic parts were the best, not just for the humor but because Dave Sim focused more on just making something he could sincerely enjoy, instead of self-consciously trying to impress people.

Attached: 5B7C2B81-5F56-4A6A-9DCC-622BB083DD01.jpg (630x922, 276K)