New DC SHOWCASE Animated Shorts to Feature SGT. ROCK, ADAM STRANGE, DEATH, More

>Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, and DC are currently in production on five new DC Showcase animated shorts for release in 2019-2020.

The new series of shorts will be included on upcoming DC Universe movies releases, with exception of what they are calling an "innovative Batman: Death in the Family long-form animated short," which will anchor a compilation set for distribution in late 2020.
>Each of the five shorts – Sgt. Rock, Adam Strange, Death, The Phantom Stranger and Batman: Death in the Family – opens with a new, live-action branding sequence that features a "few Easter Eggs specially added for observant fans."

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTUvMjgzL2kwMi9TZ3RSb2NrX1N0aWxsXzAyLmpwZw==.jpg (575x323, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kDqi_8tcxtY&list=PLAZgh3s0AAWRBspyFKfASCpfxCWIQTftO&index=3
youtube.com/watch?v=cVRiADlDEig&list=PLAZgh3s0AAWRBspyFKfASCpfxCWIQTftO&index=4
dailymotion.com/video/x3av5uf
dailymotion.com/video/x5emfka
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Sgt. Rock is executive produced and directed by Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) from a script by veteran comic book writers Louise Simonson & Walter Simonson and Tim Sheridan (Reign of the Supermen).

>"The original tale finds battle-weary Sgt. Rock thinking he has seen everything that World War II can dish out. But he is in for the surprise of his life when he is assigned to lead a company consisting of legendary monsters into battle against an unstoppable platoon of Nazi zombies."

>Karl Urban (Star Trek, Lord of the Rings) voices Sgt. Rock.

Attached: oa125.jpg (1085x1600, 482K)

>Adam Strange is produced and directed by Butch Lukic (Batman Unlimited), who also conceived the original story – which is written by comics vet J.M. DeMatteis (Constantine: City of Demons).

>"On a rugged asteroid mining colony, few of the toiling workers are awarethat their town drunk was ever anything but an interplanetary derelict. But when the miners open afissure into the home of a horde of deadly alien insects, his true identity is exposed. He is spaceadventurer Adam Strange, whose heroic backstory is played out in flashbacks as he struggles to save the very people who have scorned him for so long."

>Charlie Weber (How To Get Away with Murder) voices Adam Strange.

Attached: Adam_Strange_02.jpg (800x1215, 115K)

Oh they’re doing these again? Cool

>Inspired by Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman,” Death is produced & directed by Sam Liu (Justice League vs. The Fatal Five) and written by DeMatteis.

>"In the story, Vincent, an artist with unresolved inner demons, meets a mysterious girl who helps him come to terms with his creative legacy … and eventual death."

>Leonardo Nam (Westworld) voices Vincent, and Jamie Chung (The Gifted, Big Hero 6) voices Death.

Attached: 602976-death_gaiman.jpg (1962x1518, 625K)

>The Phantom Stranger is executive produced and directed by Timm and is written by Ernie Altbacker (Teen Titans: The Judas Contract).

>"Set in the 1970s, the short follows young adult Jess as she joins her friends at a party in a dilapidated mansion hosted by the mysterious Seth. When odd things begin to happen to Jess and her friends, the Phantom Stranger intervenes to save her from a dreary fate."

>Peter Serafinowicz (The Tick) voices The Phantom Stranger and Michael Rosenbaum (Smallville) voices Seth.

Attached: c0729f4c6b2b8d4c545cbe112c4984ae.jpg (1272x1920, 651K)

>More information regarding Batman: Death In The Family will be available in 2020, per the announcement.

>All five new DC Showcase shorts credits include Jim Krieg as co-producer, Amy McKenna as producer, and Sam Register as executive producer.

>Initially launched in 2010, DC Showcase was originally comprised of four animated shorts produced by Timm and directed by Joaquim Dos Santos: The Spectre (released on 2/23/2010), Jonah Hex (7/27/2010), Green Arrow (9/28/2010) and Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam (11/9/2010) and was later followed by Catwoman (10/18/2011), directed by Lauren Montgomery and executive produced by Timm.

>Voice actors featured on the first five shorts included Malcolm McDowell, James Garner (in his final performance), Jerry O’Connell, Linda Hamilton, Gary Cole, Alyssa Milano, Thomas Jane, Michael Rooker, Eliza Dushku, Neal McDonough, Ariel Winter, Danica McKeller, George Newbern, Michelle Trachtenberg and Arnold Vosloo.

Attached: 71yDogdr+pL.jpg (975x1500, 204K)

Enemy Ace short when?
And no, the cold open from BtBaB doesn't count.

Attached: enemyace.jpg (637x1751, 598K)

Sgt rock had me until the fucking zombies. I just wanted some good ol' Joe kubert-inspired war stories

the only good one was Shade the Changing Man

That wasn't DC Showcase

Probably if Spielberg's Blackhawks movie ever actually happens.

>Sgt. Rock gets a cartoon
Fuck yeah!
>It's a Creature Commandoes crossover where they fight zombies
Boo! Why couldn't it just be a classic Rock story played straight? Hell, he's had his share of weird shit in Kubert comics that would make it more than just generic WW2 story if that was the issue. Why not use the Losers instead on this? Or Unknown soldier.

Why is Adam a drunk bum in space? This sounds like it would work way better set on some remote hick town on Earth where Adam is waiting for a zeta beam.

Kinda generic but I dunno, could be okay.

Sounds spot on in terms of capturing the original comics. All it really still needs is Dr. 13 bitching about the Phantom Stranger the entire story..

This might be intriguing depending on how it works.

then they didn't have any good ones

>Karl Urban Sgt. Rock
Nice.

>Jamie Chung
>Gogo is Death
My Dick

Attached: chadseid is.jpg (318x384, 32K)

Dredd is Sgt. Rock? Cool

>Okay get this, it's Overlord but with Sgt. Rock.
DC: House of Stolen Ideas

Oh God, I bet that's exactly what the pitch was.

>Jamie Chung
Work for DC once and you're set for life

Attached: Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 11.24.10 PM [www.imagesplitter.net].jpg (726x447, 31K)

Oh he jumped ship years ago

>long-form animated short
So a movie then.

>New DC SHOWCASE
I was hoping they would make more.

Attached: Spectre.webm (960x540, 2.78M)

But it was announced last April.

Someday

Attached: 258F51BD-616E-4A07-A287-E0264E7BA822.jpg (727x1099, 229K)

Lots of things got announced last year and none of them went anywhere

You know this is a great cover, I mean look at that burning tank

Hell yeah

Attached: Death.jpg (584x771, 56K)

Genuinely disappointed at it being a Creature Commandoes story but oh well, Urban Sgt. Rock will be worth it.

Adam is one of my favorite comic book characters of all time, so i'm very happy he's getting something. The story still sounds a little off, but oh well

Neat

I imagine the Phantom Stranger one will feel pretty similar to this one.

I suggest an Amethyst DC showcase from the same director as the shorts

Unlikely since these shorts had fairly similar artstyles in the past

I like that, it gives the illusion that DC looks out for them.

This is a good idea in theory but WB will probably leave a shoestring animation budget.

Fuck Yes, I loved these shorts I was so sad when they stopped making them!!!

Any Good Adam Strange recommendation? I’ve only saw him during pop up in Starman and that one issue of Morrisons GL.

Planet Heist, Rann-Thanagar War, 52, Countdown to Adventure, Justice League United, Death of Hawkman, Future Quest/Adam Strange

Attached: EB569589-74CE-4C44-AB30-D042F29AC032.jpg (1076x1200, 531K)

Is Rann-Thanagar war good?
A few years ago an user told me I shouldn’t bother with it.

>more fucking Batman
Christ

Would it kill them to focus on someone else.

It’s not a bad read, and it’s kind of important for 52 and Countdown to Adventure

>Death
>Phantom Stranger
HYPE!

Unfortunately to WB Execs he’s their only Money Maker even though he isn’t

I heard Rann-Thanagar War was significant to Infinite Crisis. I read Infinite Crisis waaay back in 2010 and I remembered that there was a scene taking place in Thanagar or something. What was its significance?

too bad John Carter flopped...means we will never get a Adam Strange live action.
(also John Carter was a good movie: Fuck critics)

>You're gonna die
>Death becomes your IRL waifu in your last days
>Also has GoGo's voice
My n-word...

Attached: want some bread.jpg (192x248, 6K)

>more Batman

Ugh. Other than that these are exciting.

>Karl Urban as Sgt. Rock
Fuuuuuuck yeah.

Attached: Sgt. Rock 03.jpg (473x715, 155K)

Probably

Looking forward to this one the most. Adam Strange close second. Hope they do the characters right and we can get more Sandman stuff in animation because it's mindblowing they haven't done it much before.

I mean we did get a live action Strange in Krypton just not a direct adaption

Is it ever explained why The Spectre doesn't kill all the world's mass murders like Joker?

Because there's no true justice in this world.

Vincent? As in Van Gogh?

>long form short

So a regular movie?

>Adam Strange
>Death
>Phantom Stranger
Fucking nice.

>Would it kill them to focus on someone else.
4 out of 5 shorts are focusing on literal whos.

I think he's trying to say, why not a Wonder Woman short?

Because Batman is guaranteed to sell. They need Batman just for profitability's sake, to cover the expense of other animations.

>mad about a creature commando short

absolute faggots each of you

Don't cross the streams because you're only gonna half ass both Sgt.Rock and the creature commandos.

Nice. The last collection were all a lot of fun. I hope they capture various genre vibes like the 70s horror movie/noir feel to Spectre and the grindhouse western vibe of Jonah Hex.

There's very little merit in putting Sgt. Rock, a very realistic and down to Earth character, in a team up with Creature Commandos, just to do a generic zombie army story. If you can play Phantom Stranger straight and accurately to his original comics, why can't you do the same with Rock? All this shows is that they think Rock alone is kinda lame and boring and just threw monsters in to make it "more exciting" which does disservice to CC as well.

His Silver Age Mystery in Space material is the best, imho. I'd actually argue that it's some of the best silver age material in general. They're just very good sci-fi pulp action romps with a great concept and lots of creativity.

Are Zeta beams used as common a common mode of transportation in the DC universe? What even are Zeta beams?

I hope they look better again since they are going to be shorts.

>Karl Urban as Sgt. Rock

Legi God-tier casting.

Think it depends on the story, they were common in Young Justice.

NICE
These were always the best.

Hold up. I've seen this episode before.

Attached: D4E5181F-1B2B-4CE7-AD96-4AF9A4BB9CBA.png (1600x720, 1.29M)

But will there be a giant invisible blind space chicken.

One of the best Smith episodes.

DC isn't exactly known for being original

This x1000

I dunno why Jonah Hex got a straight-up story but Rock can't, it's the same shit.

Also, we ALREADY had a Creature Commandos crossover with GI Robot in that BATB opener

Not a movie, more like a tv episode. Return of Black Adam was 25 minutes long.

WB hates her work

AWW SHIT MY BOY PHANTOM STRANGER GETTING SOME RECOGNITION.

Cry more

Cool news

Not Corrigan's case

esto

also this

eh, it's kinda predictable.

>New DC SHOWCASE
Fucking nice! Here's four previous ones for those who haven't seen them:
youtube.com/watch?v=kDqi_8tcxtY&list=PLAZgh3s0AAWRBspyFKfASCpfxCWIQTftO&index=3
youtube.com/watch?v=cVRiADlDEig&list=PLAZgh3s0AAWRBspyFKfASCpfxCWIQTftO&index=4
dailymotion.com/video/x3av5uf
dailymotion.com/video/x5emfka

Attached: Superman Approves.gif (500x207, 951K)

Because a straight up animated war story with no supernatural elements would be out of place in a superhero anthology collection

>all these Y*nkoid action heroes
>literally not one of them is competent enough to save Anne Frank

Does Johnny Reb literally have to do all the work himself?

Attached: Civil War Fort Battle.jpg (1000x915, 294K)

Jesus Christ, that Spectre short was so fucking good. The Hex one was close in terms of quality, and the Green Arrow was just silly fun. But, man, that 70s grindhouse Spectre was fucking amazing. I would watch a dozen more of those.

>Peter Serafinowicz (The Tick) voices The Phantom Stranger
That is not the voice I expect when I think Phantom Stranger. All I can think now is Phantom Stranger acting like The Tick. It's a weird feel.

Then explain how the Jonah Hex one exists and is completely devoid of supernatural elements?

you lost, get rekt

He'll probably sound more like Darth Maul

The whole world lost.

Everything from the Holodomor/Holocaust to the countless children in the Middle East butchered by flying robots is unironically the result of your beloved Union's victory

Attached: death to the union.gif (316x180, 3.97M)

>implying you wouldn't have done the same shit but worse

The Confederacy was founded on the ideals of limited government as opposed to the cancer upon the Earth that is Federalism so no.

Attached: Lincoln Troll.jpg (640x580, 44K)

Bullshit. It was founded on slavery and suffering.