This man is now in charge of rebooting your favorite cartoon from your childhood, what happens?

This man is now in charge of rebooting your favorite cartoon from your childhood, what happens?

Attached: manbun.png (1440x900, 1.34M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HAXq0LHNvqo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: hearts.jpg (1920x1080, 131K)

Attached: calarts eend.png (982x770, 226K)

>those dislikes on the trailer
lol, they canned the whole show didn't they

Someone is going to prison, and someone else is going to get burned alive.

I kill him. No, rapidly homogenising industry is touching my favourite IP for a few quick bucks.

Shit, what was my favorite show as a kid... Transformers or G.I.Joe?

Transformers Roll? G.I.Joe Blast? I could see it. Fucking autists are freaking out about Thundercats because it only has two versions, it doesn't have things like TFA or Beast Wars to warm people up to different takes on the characters and setting. If anyone actually gave a fuck, instead of just begging for a reason to be outraged, the 2011 reboot would have gotten a season 2.

Attached: thundercats.jpg (1238x801, 944K)

What has he even done before the thundercats fiasco

I like his ponytail

Attached: pebbles-flinstone-the-flintstones-2.31.jpg (210x239, 20K)

>This man is now in charge of rebooting your favorite cartoon from your childhood, what happens?

Inhumanoids but the monsters are cute looking but still giant and have obnoxious personalities

Movie 43, Pickle and Peanut and OK:KO. He wrote an episode of Magiswords. But, Pickle and Peanut is his main thing. Having storyboarded it for two years.

Meh. There's a high probability that most series I enjoyed, if not all of them, are going to get rebooted eventually. I don't plan on mourning over every botched attempt for the rest of my life.

Attached: the_soydocks.png (1150x871, 101K)

>Johnny Quest
Well then.

Attached: Screenshot_20190507-120355~2.png (1057x1624, 1.1M)

>over a year later and still no release date
I wonder what lasting ramifications for cartoons the backlash to TCR will have. Is their any sign it will be released soon?

What I'm worried about isn't the backlash. It's the defence against the backlash. Yes, some showrunners got put in their place. A good example being Lauren Faust. But, a lot of people still defended the corporate practice of homogenising the product. Nobody should defend a corporation. Cartoon Network doesn't care about people, they care about profits.
I feel like people are missing the big picture for trivial details. Cal-Arts strawmen be damned. Basement dweller strawmen be damned. The actual issue was never addressed during the debacle.

Attached: 1547697487297.jpg (593x601, 44K)

Shut up and post calart renditions of shows!

Attached: 1532582180248.png (1200x1189, 216K)

>the monsters are cute looking but still giant and have obnoxious personalities
So basically the old show.

>The actual issue was never addressed during the debacle.
What actual issue?

Whatever happened to his show?

Attached: 1504725120106.png (1707x1715, 1.7M)

I wonder how many people on here who go on about calarts even actually read John K's orignal thing where he uses the term to shit on Iron Giant, or if it's just a meaningless buzzword for everyone.

It's the latter. The funny part is that the collage itself mostly teaches ghibli type shit

Yeah, fuck all the people defending TFR, it really opened the doors to see how soulless the animation industry has become.

>homogenizing
The original show was hyper homogenous for its era, being yet another attempt to capitalize on the success of he-man, and only looks unique because shows like it aren't as common anymore. Western animation has been insanely corporate since the death of theatrical animation. The only exception was the 90s, and even then there was still a lot of shit designed by marketers and executives rather than artists and writers

See above. The industry's never had soul.

By the way, I'm not defending the new show (it sucks), I'm just saying it how it is

>attacks the original
>”I-I’m not defending the reboot, I swear”
Yeah right

was it canceled or not?

>stutterposting
That aside, you gotta have serious auts to think that anyone who dislikes MotU lite automatically likes TTG lite

No, but CN's intentionally sweeping it under the rug. They've spent too much on it to cancel it, but you can tell they really don't want to air it

Corporatism. The schedule of endless marathons at CN, and multiple clones of TTGO, is a result of rampant corporation. CN wants to make as much money as it can, for as little as possible, and damn any quality control. CN is a media corporation trying to act like a factory and there's the problem. This is what caused the first animation dark age. When Hannah-Barbara tried to do the same.

>Pickle and Peanut
I literally never heard of this show before. Looks pretty bad though

>Movie 43 and OK:KO
Yikes

you cant cancel what was heavily into production and potentially complete, cn has invested too much. at most itll have a truncated initial release more akin to a netflix half-season. they are waiting for the initial reception to have completely died off/forgotten and depending on viewer numbers will decide if they go into full production overdrive leading to endless runs like ttgo

Ponytails don't stick straight up.

The conditions of the original show doesn't defend the conditions of the new show. That's a lazy defence. It was a problem then and it's a problem now.

>attacks the original
There is a reason no on really talks about the original show anymore. Also, no one talks about the 2011 show except to laugh at how stupidly edgy the ideas for season 2 were.

How are the Thundercats in comics? I don't know much about them except that time the kids were Mumm-Ra's rape slaves.

Attached: thundercats action scene.jpg (1920x1080, 184K)

This , you seem to be excusing the new show even though it’s 10x worse than the original

>Your favorite cartoon from childhood
He can't do any more damage than what's been done.
That's not true, he can, I just wont be any more disappointed than I already am.

Attached: teen titans.jpg (1020x574, 90K)

Where did you get that I was excusing the new show from?

Sorry, never mind. You were pointing to my argument as an example.

I find the whole calarts thundercats funny because most car tuning places love to use the thundercats logo on their cars, now the Logo dropped to Dora the explorer levels of manliness.

Attached: ytu.jpg (1152x864, 85K)

I love that no one ever mentions what they LIKED about the old show, so they just throw around buzzwords and hyperbole to cover the fact that they just want to be outraged about a new take on a show they didn't even originally watch.

What makes Thundercats GOOD? Besides this opening, what draws you to it? I grew up with this and all I cared about was the opening and... the Thundertank is pretty cool.
youtube.com/watch?v=HAXq0LHNvqo

Attached: Thundercats-Song-of-the-Petalars-040_1313204251.jpg (1280x720, 95K)

ReBoot The Guardian Code would have been objectively better if he had made it. That's how bad the ReBoot reboot is. Even if it wasn't cgi. Fucking kill me.

I fucking kill myself, that's what happens.

I don't like the old show. You're reaching for a strawman argument there. But I hate the idea of this new show more. Because, it will prolong the stagnation of a dying medium in T.V.

i somewhat enjoyed the original and it was years before cn showed up in my area so i never saw the rest of it. the failure that is nuboot doesnt hurt me in anyway, but goddamn do i feel bad for the hardcore fans being abused to that degree

Bitch shut up it already happened to mine because I'm a ReBoot fan

I make sure it's never made and happily go to jail.

Attached: kid with gun.png (1154x1200, 1.18M)

>you didn’t watch it
Nico shut the fuck up and die already

>I don't like the old show.
Then what do you fucking care? Are kids these days so addicted to being outraged, they'll get outraged about reboots they're not going to watch for shows they didn't watch to begin with? I didn't watch Fuller House, I didn't shit pants over it!

It was my absolute favourite show I adored it man. It happened when I was at all the right ages and I loved rewatching season 3 as an adult because it had legitimately great storytelling.

kek

Attached: nicofaggot.png (624x640, 81K)

>i feel bad for the hardcore fans being abused to that degree
You must have felt real bad for them in 2011, when everyone on the team fucking hated Lion-O, and just didn't give a fuck when they thought he died.

Attached: thundercats kids.jpg (1920x1080, 224K)

Nigga you are outraged and he wasn't

Oh wait you guys are talking about Reboot... yeah, Reboot has had it a LOT harder than Thundercats. I don't know many things that got it as hard as Reboot did.

I didn't watch cartoons as a kid. I was a shut-in Christian boy who wasn't allowed to watch cartoons, play video games and have friends.

Attached: 86ac64cf-9135-4be3-90b7-f29e5d3d28bd_screenshot.jpg (1152x480, 26K)

Again, you're ignoring my argument. Because you can't argue with the basis of my argument. You are someone who only has a hammer and so every problem looks like a nail to you. I care, because I care about the animation industry and the stagnation of CN isn't helping anyone.

My favorite cartoon is Roger Rabbit. Aint nobody rebooting that shit because Disney would have to share the money with Spielberg and Gary k wolf. Greed pays off, sometimes.

Babies need their outrage. Watch Silverhawks come back, then everyone will pretend they watched that, too.

>and multiple clones of TTGO
Name two

PPG already got a shitty reboot though.

Nuboot is literally just an execs self inserting his toddler into the show because narcissism. They hire bots to like their facebook page and they had a whole episode shitting on fans calling them neckbeards. It's maximum baby boomer out of touch executive horse shit.

Meanwhile the creator of the OG ReBoot just tweets angrily about Trump all day. It's so sad.

I feel like the main reason why action cartoons are dead now is because now they have to compete with anime, and since western studios don't want to compete in the same niche they just focus on kiddy stuff now

Attached: 8AA5DB1E-8877-4694-BDAD-F48E3B8EB96A.png (304x933, 90K)

Powerpuff girls 2017 and Ben Ten.

watched the original, had my panthro figure and roleplay sword of omens. did i dislike how they treated lion-o? yes but i was willing to give it a chance, sadly cn didnt ever really give it one when the toys failed

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE A HOTDOG IS A SANDWICH! HOW DARE WORDS CHANGE THEIR MEANINGS OVER TIME!
based retard

Action cartoons are dead because they cost more and tv budgets are in the toilet.

Attached: nupopeye.jpg (1280x720, 168K)

None of these are TTG clones.

>Because you can't argue with the basis of my argument.
Your argument of what? Cartoons are ruined because kids want stuff that looks different than kids did in the 80s? That's all this is. You admit you didn't even watch the show, so you just like how it looked? So what?

Kids don't like that look now, or shows would look like that. When was the last time old Thundercats was on a streaming service? What kinda numbers did it pull in? You're whining that people don't like what you like, but that's just life.

If it's as generic as you feel, won't it just naturally disappear?

Anime is on its deathbed. They can't appeal outside of their growing audience and most action anime look like dogshit. The ones that don't, have cases where employees are going to hospital for overworking.
This is a rod that CN built for its own back and it has nothing to do with action cartoons. We're sorely missing early seasons of gumball and Scooby Doo mystery incorporated and have too many cheap reboots of cheap IPs.

>HURRRRR FOOD ANALOGY
Based retard.

sadly not even an exaggeration, i forget where i saw it but there was a few youtubers who werent even obssessive fans of the old show but followed and posted the behind the scenes drama. it was pretty sad and blatant how little the guy who ran it cared about the source. the guy just wanted the name and ran it into the ground. so many of the production crew tried to course correct but kept getting countermanded or kicked off the project

pretty sure it was paused do to the roar fiasco, but honestly i dont think there was much of an audience whod care anyway

You keep on pivoting this argument to a standpoint that you can argue from. This is quickly becoming a bad faith argument on your part. You can't argue against the homogeneity of cartoons and have too instead make up a strawman argument that you can attack. I feel now that you're trying to drag this argument away from CN, so that you can defend TCR. To me, TCR is a symptom of the problem. To you, actually addressing the problem would mean that you get less of what you like.

I wish the toys weren't so shitty, cause I was honestly hyped to buy them after the first episodes. The writing change I hear happened after the pilot ruined the show, Lion-O's characterization was all but scrapped. If CN had kept the original writer, I would have loved to see the show continue.

The old toys were pretty awesome though, and a few got re-issued. The sad thing is if people upset were actually fans, they'd be using any new show as a reason to push for old merch, even the reboot Ghostbusters movie moved a lot of classic Ghostbusters branded products. At their core the Roar designs are the originals, so putting out classic toys should be a no-brainer.

>You can't argue against the homogeneity of cartoons
Aren't you one of the posters who admitted the original was just as unoriginal for it's time? So it's just a different homogeny than the one from the 80s. You just like that homogeny, and dislike this one. Do you disagree at all with that statement?

Attached: jem-rio hates lies and deception.gif (240x174, 494K)

I remembered liking the old show when it re-aired on toonami. I liked the art, even though at times it was crap, and others it was great. When it was great, I really enjoyed those episodes and parts of episodes. Is that unreasonable, user?
Likewise, I actually liked the story in the 2011 reboot.

We're going in circles, because you have nothing left with which you can argue. See this and feel free to repeat yourself. It's obvious that you've got nothing left.

>Likewise, I actually liked the story in the 2011 reboot.
All of it, or just like the pilot, the Petlaars and the Drifter episode.
Cause those were about all I'd say were "really damn good". The rest drifted from decent to actually really bad.

The old show obviously did have it's moments, but since it took over 20 years to get a reboot, I think overall most people on Yea Forums have never sat down and watched it. I honestly admit that as a kid, there were many times I'd watch the intro and be pretty much done, because I knew the real show didn't look half that good.

Yeah, I don't come into your argument with that user until here and all I get is "I didn't watch the old show". So you never addressed the question of "why do you like the old show?" because if you don't, why should you care that it gets rebooted?

You're trying to spin a narrative of circles because you don't actually have an answer for me. It would be less embarrassing for you to just leave, you're anonymous afterall.

>All of it, or just like the pilot, the Petlaars and the Drifter episode.
I didn't see all of it. What I saw I liked, but both those episodes you listed were great, sure.
There were other episodes I saw that I liked as well, but damned if I can remember their names. There was the one where panthro was talking about his time in the millitary with that one guy. The one where he laments losing his arms. I think I remember him saying something about how he was going to miss the scars the most because they had a lot of memories with those.
That kinda resonated with me a bit.

Panthros pretty good early on, but they sadly sorta stop doing much with him after the halfway point of the season. It wasn't all bad, and I might be too harsh on it, but I think that's because it's SOOO CLOSE to being great.

Yeah, you're done. When you're ignoring posts and trying to get the other guy to leave. You're done.

I think that's what maybe people are upset about.
That the reboot could have been something great. There is definitely potential in the source material. And it absolutely did produce some quality comics as well. The thing is, people think 2011 was a failure for a variety of misunderstood reasons that they just assume that what we got wasn't profitable or good so we should therefore go another direction with it.

Again, this gets repeated on Yea Forums a lot but legends of chima replaced thundercats because it was cheaper to produce. Literally, it was all cost. 2011 didn't have poor toy sales or few toys. It didn't do terribly in ratings. Something cheaper was pitched and CN replaced the timeslot with something cheaper. I remember at the time kinda not liking chima to be honest.
And again, the original did some stuff good too. well at least during the points when it wasn't over budget. Of course that budget got eaten up pretty damn quick.

I kind of liked Chima

It wasn't my favorite, but I'd love to see how bad this show would be if made today.

Attached: COPS.jpg (480x360, 52K)

I disagree with your opinion but respect your right to it and appreciate your forthright honesty.

This is neither comics nor cartoons.

I think the fact that the plot just meanders into nothing near the end hurt it as well. Compare it to Young Justice, which came out around the same time, which had a rocky start but got much better by the end of the season. Thundercats started strong and didn't have any real payoffs down the line (Hell, I think a lot of people hated Cheetara and Tigra by the end). So when both were Thundercats and Young Justice were eventually cancelled, the show with the stronger finish got the stronger fanbase asking for its return, and Thundercats got a bit over a 10th of the response.

I do think they'll go something closer to action next series (will probably look like Avatar or Voltron, assuming that style is still in fashion by then), but Roar is probably just to distance the brand from how serious 2011 was shooting for.

BEANMOUTHS AREN'T FUNNY
THIN LINES AREN'T FUNNY

Attached: jimmy.png (432x323, 182K)

Dude it's just a cartoon, put the gun down!

Who can say really?
Though I can't help but feel that the reason they're going the direction they are with thundercats roar is simply because the network felt that the previous reboot and other action shows have done poorly.
Though, I have to admit, based on the reasons the 2011 reboot got replaced, it seems much more likely to me that it got greenlit because they probably said they could make it for much cheaper. Action cartoons tend to have bigger budgets and to be honest, most cable networks simply can't afford that anymore. We're in a very unique place right now where for the first time since cable was launched, they're LOSING cable subscribers and ratings across all networks is suffering as a direct result. That may be because of competition from netflicks and the rise in popularity of streaming services. Services which ARE greenlighting and airing new action cartoons.

No, they're "dead" because of a lack of interest. There's tons of action cartoons now. Maybe not as many as there were in the 2000s but there's still plenty, and they all look and feel just like shows from the 2000s.

Guess what? Nobody gives two fucks about them. The only traditional action cartoons that get any buzz are reviles of other shows like young justice.

Most of those action shows are airing on netflix. Possibly because like that user said, cost. big cable networks are losing ratings and money left and right for the first time and they're struggling to deal with something that's unprecedented for them.

Half of them are "airing" on disney. People honest to god care so little that they forget they even exist

I honestly think people like the idea of action cartoons more than the shows themselves, if that makes sense

Attached: file.jpg (660x395, 321K)

The networks don't care or want action cartoons for several reasons
>Toy companies stopped supporting and investing in cartoons and now they rely on big movies and live action shows. e.g. Hasbro barely giving a shit about its cartoons because the Transformers movies are huge hits
>Disney/Marvel and WB/DC prefer to invest in live action superhero movies that earn billions every year
>in TV, live action capeshit shows like Flash or Arrow are far more popular than any cape cartoon plus they are cheaper to produce
And more. The big companies don't care about action cartoons because they "aren't" profitable compared to live action. Live action capeshit killed the action cartoons.

Attached: CW-SUPER-HEROES.jpg (640x360, 83K)

>Most of those action shows are airing on netflix.
Something like Thundercats 2011 would do much better on Netflix or such. The whole release of a full season at a time would push for more connected storytelling, and hopefully a better direction for the whole show. And no scheduling absurdity.

Those are fucking awful though. I assume Assemble got better, but the first episodes were barely animated, just jpegs being pulled across the screen.

It never gets released.

>The whole release of a full season at a time would push for more connected storytelling, and hopefully a better direction for the whole show
Tell that to Voltron

Did AutismCats ever come out? It feels like it was announced years ago already.

Are we sure it wasn't paused for being unbelievably terrible in every way?

>Mummies Alive!
Homicide

Attached: image.png (1200x1000, 449K)

Nope. There's been no news on it for 11 months. Shit's deader than Close Enough.

Bojack hasn't had a problem with it. Voltron's problem was execs getting involved and how quickly new batches were released.

>Those are fucking awful though
And? Doesn't mean they don't exist. There's plenty of action shows, and Yea Forums's claims that there aren't are total bullshit

One of the main reasons I'm avoiding She-ra like a plague is because I'm afraid of it becoming Voltron 2 electric boogaloo.
I ain't ready to get hurt like that again.

Attached: image.png (1280x800, 687K)

I got over hating on this guy pretty quickly. My impression is this is a decision from WB that's just a job to him, and most of the online stupidity came from hanger-ons like this one It's not fair for this one guy to become the symbol of an entire era of artistic decadence and regression, no matter how bad his hair is.

>artistic decadence and regression
You mean switching from Japan to Korea?

Attached: 1548805428165.jpg (799x768, 84K)

Bojack is a comedy, not an action cartoon.

Bojack is a drama. Cartoons exist in more than three genres and artstyles

The point was connected storytelling. Bojack is championed on how well the showrunner keeps track of continuity.

How the fuck would you even do CalArts Transformers when half of them have very inhuman heads?

MONDROOLOOH PINGAS OOGA BOONGA

Pic related was already in the dreaded calarts style (even though sugar went to SVA) so visually not much would change, but story wise it'd do a complete 180
>inb4
I was born in 1999 and am 20 years old

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 592K)

It helps that, unlike television, they don't have to deal with timeslots. This means they can experiment without having to either cancel something else or fuck around with the schedule, they can have more shows in general meaning more choice for the consumer, and every show has an equal chance at the spotlight because people can watch whatever they feel

Well at least those shows weren't cancelled because of legends of chima

from what I saw in the trailer I had the impression he was the one who had the idea of a comedy-oriented reboot and the execs just gave him a greenlight

>Something like Thundercats 2011 would do much better on Netflix or such.
Absolutely. Doesn't hurt that it's typically cheaper to watch what you want when you want on netflix then the ridiculous amount cable asks.

Np they didn't, they did can Yabba Dabba Dinosuars though.

Why the fuck would they keep thundercats over the goddamn flintstones?

Attached: calarts aquateen.png (1363x1074, 484K)