It's a Wheeler episode

>It's a Wheeler episode

Attached: Captain Planet.jpg (468x351, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tZCg9HsDntY
businessinsider.com/ted-turner-urges-world-leaders-to-adopt-chinas-one-child-policy-on-global-scale-2010-12
youtube.com/watch?v=HZoTfIe6zlk
youtube.com/watch?v=b6LHRF0zh6U
youtube.com/watch?v=f_ehNV2IwjE
youtube.com/watch?v=Q6nKQAQC-fQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Recycling garbage wastes more energy and causes more pollution than just tossing it in a landfill.

Attached: captain truth.gif (640x484, 2.55M)

>American character is always wrong about absolutely everything
>Soviet Union character is always right about absolutely everything

What was Ted Turner trying to tell us with this dynamic, Yea Forums?

i never trucking watched this, can someone actually explain what the "moral" was because i get that pollution is bad and im guessing it has some themes that osmosis jones had.
but i get the feel it was more of a cash grab for toys because of the times

NO SON OF MINE IS GONNA WEAR SOME FAGGY RING

Attached: wheelers-dad-captain-planet-and-the-planeteers-9.48.jpg (210x240, 13K)

>It's a episode about aids

That was pretty much it.

Ted Turner is legitimately insane and thinks the human population should be reduced to five million people under a global government.

That just about covers it. Subtlety I'm the 80s and 90s was for LOSERS.

It wasn't so much about toys (they existed, but had to be made following strict environmental standards to the point where they were too expensive to produce and the line ended abruptly). Ted Turner made the show for 2 reasons:

1) New network regulations made in response to all the toy cartoons of the 80s required networks airing such shows to ALSO air comparable amounts of educational programming. Captain Planet filled the niche (while also stealthily being a merchandisable show).

2) It was a quick and easy way for in-trouble celebrities to burn through community service hours that they owed. The contractual time length of a VA recording session at the time was 6 hours. A celebrity would come in, stay for only 1 or 2 hours, but get marked down for 6. Since this was an educational show, it went toward their community service hours. It's why you'll notice that the show began with a TON of celebrity VAs, but they gradually disappear as the first season wanes on, as each of them wrap up their community service hours and bail.

thats fucked kek, but it makes me even more intrigued

Just like Martha Stewart on PBS.

The moral is that you should become an eco-terrorist and destroy private property.

I'm not even kidding. The episodes almost never have any lessons about trying to find sustainable alternatives, learning to give up comforts to save the environment, petitioning the government to take action - no, it's always just a couple of teenagers blowing up a factory or beating up a rich guy to drive him away.
And a "better alternative" is literally ALWAYS available already - you never have to settle for not having a car, you can just buy a magical sun-powered car.
The villains are rarely doing anything for personal gain - outside of Sly Sludge, the only well written antagonist in the series, SOMETIMES Plunder - the others will always destroy the environment because they are EVIL. Yes, even the guy who's called "Hoggish Greedley". He's not actually greedy. In several episodes, he explicitly GIVES UP potential profit, just so that he could pollute more.

And so those evil villains with no redeeming qualities have to be stopped through unsanctioned violence.

I can only remember ONE episode where the heroes tried to follow legal procedures and properly sue the villain who was illegally destroying a protected forest. And guess what? The villain WINS in that episode. The moral of it was that following the law DOESN'T WORK.

Attached: images.jpg (189x267, 6K)

Lavar Burton didn't bail. He believed in the message. He believed in Captain Planet.

>It was a quick and easy way for in-trouble celebrities to burn through community service hours that they owed. The contractual time length of a VA recording session at the time was 6 hours. A celebrity would come in, stay for only 1 or 2 hours, but get marked down for 6. Since this was an educational show, it went toward their community service hours. It's why you'll notice that the show began with a TON of celebrity VAs, but they gradually disappear as the first season wanes on, as each of them wrap up their community service hours and bail.
holy shit, are you serious? I never knew this, doe you have a citation? Because it sounds absolutely believable, but I don't wanna end up repeating some urban myth, or something.

>Villains pollute just for the sake of it

Literally China.

DO NOT REPRODUCE

t. Captain Planet

youtube.com/watch?v=tZCg9HsDntY

businessinsider.com/ted-turner-urges-world-leaders-to-adopt-chinas-one-child-policy-on-global-scale-2010-12

he's right

Jesus Cap, tell that to the Africans.

We spend billions is aid trying to get Africans to stop reproducing and it doesn't work. The only solution is to stop giving them foreign aid and let nature take it's course, but then some humanitarian faggots start complaining.

Didn't nearly all of the funds collected by Live Aid end up going to African warlords who used the money to kill the people all those musicians thought they were going to feed?

africans are not the ones responsible for producing excess pollution, though. They don't buy a new iphone every 2 years. The most CO2 africans produce is in mining operations run by eurpeans and americans for europeans and americans

>The most CO2 africans produce is in mining operations run by eurpeans and americans for europeans and americans
That's a funny way of saying "Chinese". If the country with actual population control policies has the biggest pollution problem, then maybe population isn't the problem.

As long as you can make certain that you're one of the five million, that's not such a bad deal.

The issue is how to get rid of everyone else safely.

The only Eco-Villain with a legit reason for polluting was Doctor Blight. And her reason was "it turns me on."

So India and China?

Ten years ago, India said they'd be a world superpower by 2020. 6 months to go, how close are they?

Still, if one of the hundreds of CO2 lakes in africa pops, we all die, because you morons waited until the atmosphere was on its breaking point before reconsidering your rape of the planet.

>If the country with actual population control policies has the biggest pollution problem, then maybe population isn't the problem.
It certainly isn't, consumerism is a problem, as well as greedy capitalist practices, like planned obsolescence, with a dash of general population's unwillingness to recycle because it's too inconvenient.

But also, going "muh china" and "muh india" isn't much of a rebuttal, because those countries aren't really producing plastic tat for themselves, are they?
They provide cheap manpower to produce garbage that westerners buy and hoard.

There was one episode where Slz Sludge invented trash minimalizing machine but somehow this was still evil

I remember that, and yeah, I have no fucking idea how it was evil.
Wasn't it that shrunk stuff would un-shrink eventually, and it was all just a ploy?
Most of Sludge's episodes had this premise. He was a con artist who would pretend that he found a way to dispose of trash, but it was all just illegal dumping with a cover-up story.

>Ten years ago, India said they'd be a world superpower by 2020.

Venezuela said that, too.

>The only solution is to stop giving them foreign aid

How about we stop giving them food and start giving them condoms instead?

youtube.com/watch?v=HZoTfIe6zlk

youtube.com/watch?v=b6LHRF0zh6U

Second clip really comes off as condescending, as it invokes white people's unfounded fears of gang violence in the 90s. Subtlety being racists towards blacks, while trying to claim otherwise. "What would MLK Jr., MLK Jr., and MLK Jr. have to say about this?"

youtube.com/watch?v=f_ehNV2IwjE

The trash was compressed but it's ecological footprint was not reduced greatly, and it was being sold to the public as a reason to not give a hoot about polluting further anymore

over 80% of the plastic in the ocean still comes from india and china.
They are not producing that plastic for the west then dumping it in their own rivers.

Are you saying China isn't consumerist? It's a human ant colony of dead-eyed insectoid people who do nothing but consume. They started buying up Hollywood studios so they can make crappy blockbusters appeal to them more directly.

Nigger, the fuck you think UNESCO and the WHO have been doing tof the last three decades? It's not taking.

Here's an idea: give them computers with Dwarf Fortress. Nobody who plays that game has sex.

Plastic isn't really an issue as of yet though. It's not like the waters were ever clean.

Is this the Empire of Dust thread?

Attached: Da-11YXU0AAFjw0.jpg (807x659, 46K)

They are APPROXIMATELY AS MUCH AT FAULT AS THE WEST.
The exact ratio is not of much importance.
All you are doing is shifting the blame to say "It's all their fault, so I can keep doing the bad thing, because it's not REALLY bad! It's their thing that's bad!"
This way, both sides keep pointing at each other and calling each other names, and neither does anything about the problem.
It's like the most retarded prisoner dilemma, where neither side wants to give away their transformers toys "because why do I have to give away mine, if they get to keep theirs!", but if neither side does, both get killed.

You can't force the chinese to stop without starting a war, and I think we can both agree that a war would be even more destructive to the environment. You can, however, work towards making your own community less wastefully consumerist.

Also, while you are correct there, the Hollywood argument isn't that great in our current context, because producing movies isn't a very environmentally destructive process.

and that time when Dr Blight travelled back in time just to sell nuclear bomb to Gitler

youtube.com/watch?v=Q6nKQAQC-fQ

Attached: 1118full-captain-planet-and-the-planeteers----------------------------------(1990--1996)-screenshot. (1118x699, 46K)