Why is Mrs. Brisby so cute?

Why is Mrs. Brisby so cute?

Attached: mrs-brisby-the-secret-of-nimh-4.82.jpg (210x240, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cataroo.com/DBnimh.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IhAAihplm9g
youtube.com/watch?v=S5-iE5h0OZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=Gr7khtV7GAs
youtu.be/uVwl8RjroD0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ja8TsLgOGfI
youtu.be/Qkok0MJwJHc
youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What Yea Forums moms are more realistically written than her?

Russian rats are cuter.

Attached: 1550784648732.jpg (1200x720, 195K)

Big eyes, complementary red shawl, emoting ears, soft and fluffy like a plush doll.

Live
Action
When

Hungarian.

[citation needed]

Most of the animators on NIMH also worked on The Rescuers. Still strange how many mice movies were made during the late 70s-80s.

Attached: brutus.webm (480x360, 3M)

I still don't fucking understand the whole pendant thing, or how Nicodeus was some fucking old wizard motherfucker who made shit levitate and use magic. Maybe it's because I read the book first before the movie but there's a lot of fucking supernatural shit going on in the latter.

cataroo.com/DBnimh.html
See the fourth section, it tells of the writing process for this film in good detail.

Never.

I can't think of any

Afraid of the truth

They should do the original

Do you really think Disney would let some Godless Commies into the RAS?

Attached: miss-bianca-carousel.jpg (590x325, 42K)

Attached: 1361481952706.gif (500x421, 705K)

why is she so goddamn hard to draw
I can draw decent disney stuff but she's so tough to get right

Two of my biggest childhood crushes.

Don Bluth ain't Disney

I meant it like "I can draw similar things all right"

Even don bluth has trouble keeping her on model. Don't beat yourself too hard on it.

It's the narrow snout. Soft lines are part of animation's charm, but if everything is circular and emoji-esque, the feeling of texture is lost and you end up with a Stepford monster.
The fastest way to make something not cute is to demand that the audience think of it as cute. Cuteness must stem from a character's emotions- like the humanity and history indicated by Brisby's well-worn face- or it will be superficial and easily-forgotten.

Really? Where does he say that?

Attached: brisby sketch.jpg (326x588, 47K)

Back when animation had soul.

I mean, the book itself I felt like wasn't perfect really, especially in the middle part is felt like a 50 minute scene of rats fucking around with pretty much nothing happening and doesn't really do anything for the story.

How can mice even compete?

Attached: bris13929041.gif (500x281, 1.67M)

Something like this, (bad design with the circular and emoji-esque thing)

Attached: 1_40J84uCWq3nID_uN4oTRNg.jpg (245x384, 14K)

I'm sure that she's so loved because of Elizabeth Hartman's voice acting as well.

I love Brisby's design, it fits the character so well. It seems like Bluth couldn't really replicate this with other movies like American Tail, and went for a more classic cartoon mouse design. I love the rats too a lot.

This reminds me of a very sterile advertisement / editorial illustration style, trying to be a cartoon.

He use to be.
He actually worked on the first Rescuers movie.

I need to rewatch this movie sometime. I always forget how pretty it is.

Every animation class I'm in now shits on Don Bluth. I don't even know what to say anymore.

Attached: alic.jpg (481x481, 60K)

I'd totally enroll in his school, doing the 2D animation seems like a lot of fun to make imo

Don's biggest weakness is that he never learned how to draw cats.
Besides that, what's the hate on ur class about? In my college people tend to praise him because he has pretty nice work under his belt and is clearly a passionate, talented guy.

Attached: screen480x480.jpg (480x320, 17K)

The opinion of a bunch of plebs doesn't matter.

I bet it's stuff like "his characters are busy" while they draw because it's easy to animate

Dude it says in the movie she's from/represents Hungary

It's exactly what this guy says A lot of people in animation schools and classes diss on Bluth because he uses an 'excess of movement' and the actions are way too busy and buoyant. I know some of his later movies were pretty bad but it just feels wrong that someone who made some of the most memorable animated films ever basically got the shit end of the stick and is now the joke of the industry.

Fun fact: Bluth and Goldman both took a second mortgage on their houses to get NIMH finished. Anyone in their right mind would at least give them credit for caring about their work.

The guy never got the creative freedom he needed. Even with Spielberg his films got neutered, those 10-15 minutes of cut animation from Land Before Time are a great loss.

It's sad because these people never saw the movies as kids so they have no idea of how much impact they had on the audience they were addressed to. NIMH was absolutely magical.

because he's an old white man therefore we can't look up to him and must decry anything he did or still does as evil.

>Fun fact: Bluth and Goldman both took a second mortgage on their houses to get NIMH finished. Anyone in their right mind would at least give them credit for caring about their work.

That was the standard back then. Walt Disney had to do it multiple times.

[spoiler[aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56LyNGITZKTWczWXhhIS1HWVBTVWpDcHpFamtmbWVwcmc0eVE=[/spoiler]

Base64. Best possible version(AFAIK) of this in a 4:3 ratio. (16:9 crops a third of the picture since the film was originally animated in 1.37:1)

Attached: NIMH.png (720x540, 619K)

>panic when I realize my DVD copy is probably widescreen
>check my LD
>it's SD
Thank god for laserdisc.

>I bet it's stuff like "his characters are busy" while they draw because it's easy to animate
It may be easy to animate but, it's hard for me to look at it.

He's a great animator. His films are pretty hit or miss though. I suspect it being a case of Don Bluth needing a good team who can round out some of his weaknesses as a writer/director, but I'm no Don Bluth historian.

>user doesn't seem to know that Hungary was a Warsaw block state in the 1970's.

This is the version i have. Guess you're right

Attached: The.Secret.of.NIMH.1982.1080p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H.264-SA89.mkv_snapshot_00.35.35.166.jpg (1916x1036, 227K)

Here's the same frame in widescreen from the same master, you can see it does gain something on the sides. Widescreen is actually the official aspect ratio, but a lot of studios animated with both cinema and home video in mind at the time. This leads to a lot of heated discussions on which versions new releases should use.

Attached: NIMHws.png (853x480, 800K)

Yeah, I know, but I couldn't let that get in the way of a stupid joke.

I have mixed feelings about Bluth. From a technical point of view he's great, but he really needed to learn that sometimes less is more, and dial it back bit with all the flailing and atmospheric effects.

Look at Titan A.E. That movie is a visual mess.

The mix between 3D and 2D is what made Titan AE look messy. The actual concept for most of the shots in the movie were fine. It really should have been 90% 2D with some 3D sprinkled in. Instead of being 50/50.

It always felt weird when she was naked

She's played by legendary Hungarian actress Zsa Zsa Gabor

That wasn't the only problem. The digital ink and paint allowed him to layer lighting and atmospheric effects to the point where the screen became a muddy mess.

>He's a great animator. His films are pretty hit or miss though. I suspect it being a case of Don Bluth needing a good team who can round out some of his weaknesses as a writer/director, but I'm no Don Bluth historian.

Goldman/Bluth was pretty much the same than Image comics story: Talented guys want to have creative freedom and leave the main house. NIMH was a big flop, but the movie was amazing because it had a great story based on a great book. Later he was lucky to have Spielberg on his side managing the story for An American Tail and The Land Before Time. Again he complained about freedom to work and he dumped Amblim to start his own thing and... well, here is when his work started to become corporative and soulless, movies like All dogs go to heaven, Rock-a-Doodle, Thumbelina, A Troll in Central Park fells derivative and unnispired. Anastasia and Titan A.E. are sort of OK but far from his best days, the Pebble and the Penguinis by far his worst movie.

Attached: cover2.jpg (600x600, 48K)

Last time I saw Don Bluth he was stalking that Nostalgia Critic guy to advertise some Dragon's Lair 3 kickstarter.

rats are cute,also she is a true feminist hero,but i guess since she is not gay or because she has a family no one cares

i hope nerver

damn,what was brutus problem?

fuck off

Bully her

You can put eyelashes on anything to make you want to fuck it.

even new sonic design?

It's true though, it's the reason why Bluth and many other old guard animators are reviled in the current animation school climate.

youtube.com/watch?v=IhAAihplm9g

youtube.com/watch?v=S5-iE5h0OZ8

I hope nobody really lewds Brisby. She's just adorable.

I don't have the tweets available but as said there are a lot of people in the modern climate ragging on the nine old men because they were white cis devils.

>Boohoo you want to talk with Nicodemus? You filthy privileged mouse! How many times have you seen a rat as the main character?!

The cutest

Attached: 74942399790998.jpg (517x572, 30K)

It was her sister, Eva Gabor.

He worked on:
>Robin Hood
>Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too
>The Rescuers
>Pete's Dragon
>The Small One
>The Fox and the Hound (uncredited, left during production causing a 1 year delay)
Apparently he also did some minor work on Sleeping Beauty and Sword in the Stone as an assistant, but I can't find much on that.

Attached: RHcredits.png (768x576, 912K)

What are his later movies? As far as I know he didn't do any movies that had a number in the title, or after DBS became Amblin.

>All Dogs Go to Heaven
>Rock-a-Doodle
>Thumbelina
>A Troll in Central Park
>The Pebble and the Penguin (credits removed at his request)
>Anastasia
>Bartok the Magnificent (Anastasia's direct-to-video sequel)
>Titan A.E.
Some redeemable stuff in there but most agree quality took a nosedive in comparison to his earlier work.

They do. 323 entries on Paheal for Mrs._Brisby.

>Titan A.E.

I remember wishing the dull-as-dishwater evil aliens had succeeded in wiping out the human race, so the boring-as-fuck human protagonists wouldn't exist and we could have had a story about the secondary alien characters zooming around space and yelling at each other, since they were actually fun to watch.

Oh fuck off janitor, that post was fine.

You teachers are probably Disney vets that were indoctrinated into thinking Bluth was shit.

Bluth isn't perfect, the mother fucker rotoscoped, but he's certainly a talented individual artistically. Just needs producers to tell him what to do because he can't create an original story to save his life.

>323 entries on Paheal
>not even e621

Attached: 1541944696404.png (700x876, 749K)

Yeah dude nobody is gonna lewd that cute mouse from the extremely popular movie.

>the mother fucker rotoscoped
every single one of the disney animators rotoscoped....

>Bluth isn't perfect, the mother fucker rotoscoped
And?

Pebble and Penguin was great, what's up with that

>excess of movement'
>in a field literally called animation

>>The Fox and the Hound (uncredited, left during production causing a 1 year delay)
He not only left, he also make the whole team of 16 main animators to flee and follow him. Thats why production delayed in 1 year.

>A lot of people in animation schools and classes diss on Bluth because he uses an 'excess of movement' and the actions are way too busy and buoyant.
Animator and teacher on your most hated college: The truth is that most of teachers donĀ“t know how to do animation at that level, thats why they need to shit on Bluth.

>Pebble and Penguin was great

How?

Yeah. Bluth is a great animator, but his storytelling skills needed work. Even Nimh suffers from this with its throwaway villain and magical deus ex machina at the end that goes against the established scientific world.

It's not all his fault. The Disney era he worked in was a terrible transitioning period for the company. Nine Old Men trying to keep Walt Disney's magic alive, while hamstringing the new generation of animators at the company.

Refrain is important. It's really silly when people imply that the objective of animation is just to wobble or do whatever. It's supposed to be about charisma, appeal and interest. The root of the word animation means living not moving. It's like saying that the best musician is the one who plays the most notes the quickest. Not entirely true.

You mean restraint, right?

It seems like the amulet grew out of the intention to have Mrs. Brisby save her children by herself. In an earlier draft the rats move the house but a part was added where she would get the children out of the rosebush while it's being gassed.

I can see that. The recent MLP movie suffered from that a bit. The animation looked good, but the movements were overdone. Looked like they were going for the Don Bluth look.
And the redesigns kinda sucked.

It's FRISBY, ya filthy secondaries.

She is called Brisby in the movie due to a copyright claim by frisbee. They had to redub all instances of "Frisby" as Brisby late in the production.

>frisbee manufacturers confirmed for dumb and evil

I would've been shooting for a licensing deal.

>And the redesigns kinda sucked.

Wait until you see G5.

Nobody's seen them yet, if you've seen anything it's a fan mockup. (Not that I would get my hopes up anyway with Hasbro's track record for rebooting it on their own from G2-G3.5.)

We are fucked.

Mice are cute

Hey. he may not know how to draw cats accurately, but them DSL on Zazoo, as well as Merlina's Edith Bunker-esque eyes are downright nice.

The fact that 3d back then was shit hurt pretty badly.

NIMH, Rescuers, American Tale, Mouse Detective. Am missing any? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the most iconic cartoon character of all time is a mouse. There's just something about cartoon mouses. Even pikachu is supposed to be a mouse.

What is it about the light effects in Bluth movies that's so distinctive? It looks completely different than anything I remember seeing in Disney movies.

I thought it was nice. The new designs weren't bad. Pinky's facial expressions were crazy as fuck...especially when she was flinging cupcakes at that bad guy.
Just like how Marvel the leopard in Bloody Roar 2 had to be re-named Shina when it came to america, making her story sound stupid.

"Her name was Janne Gado, named by her mentor,and nicknamed "Marvel" for her prowess on the battlefield".

Replace "Marvel" with "Shina" in that sentence. Wtf?

Just because mice are cute and cool. What more could you want?

For NIMH they used some sort of color gel and a backlight for effects like the owl's eyes. I can't recall the Disney studio doing this effect with their cel animation, although I could be wrong.

Attached: owl.png (720x540, 659K)

I've only played BR4 but was the fox good?

In what way is All Dogs go to Heaven corporate? It definitely pales in comparison to the earlier films, but it's a movie about lowlife criminals taking advantage of the kindness of a little girl and it has a nightmare-fuel literal hell sequence in the middle of it. It features the most un-cute cartoon dogs in animation history. I don't think that movie was made to appeal to anyone. Except for maybe me, since that was my favorite fucking movie when I was a kid.

When Marina was sat on an ice cube and it squished a little, I got a boner

If you liked the hell sequence here is a little treat for you:
youtube.com/watch?v=Gr7khtV7GAs
I have no idea where this was found, it was thought to be lost for many years.

I've always wondered how the did lighting in really old animation. I figured it was either multiple backgrounds or overlays that were extremely subtle.

steven universe has some realistically selfish moms

but really moms do not get a lot of airplay. does anyone know of any good mom stories?

that's clearly not supposed to be cute though. something like pic is more intended to be cute

Attached: 12 forever.jpg (587x643, 75K)

The eyes and the amulet are what stand out in my mind. It was a really good effect. I don't think I've seen that movie in a decade, but I still have a strong impression of those scenes.

That owl scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. The whole movie did, yet I still remember it being one of my favorites. It's bullshit that children's movies are made to be so safe these days. Kids love scary things. It's why Halloween is so popular and they like to share ghost stories.

>Now you are MINE
Jesus Christ

Attached: 1432433510108.jpg (914x749, 161K)

From what I've read, Mrs. Brisby alone had ~17 different color palettes depending on the scene. You can see quite a few in the webm posted.

It's true. The asshole professor, was the one who did Direct to DVD shit tier TV animation work in the 90s.

The good ones had a lineage to trace and an imdb listing of feature film work to follow.

The Best encouraged traditional animation and and art fundamentals to work into 3D as a new tool.

The bad ones speculate where the market is heading in 5 years. Jump on everything is 3D forever.

The good ones understand story is key, why do you NEED this to be told?

If I had the $10000 spare I'd take his class. Try and learn from a master before he passes on and we lose it. I mean I live in Phoenix, Scottsdale's not that far away.

Or hell, maybe even $1000 to meet with the guy show him some of my work and pick his brain for advice for a day. Could be beneficial.

>and and

Don't get too excited.

Top Tier along with Alice (died in BR1, sadly). And 4 was shit. My condolences.

She's got a smile you just can't help but want to protect

Attached: d1qq5vq-31b766a4-f067-4a8f-b948-ede9988497e2.jpg (746x542, 64K)

Not him, but isn't Alice the rabbit in Bloody Roar 2?

There are some good expressions, but those weird ears and the square faces didn't sit well with me. Too much detail in general, too.

I've seen the leaked designs. Some were kinda pretty, I guess, but I don't recall any as great as the G4 ones. Maybe it was the styles.
(Also, aren't they from the same studio as the movie? AllSpark or Boulder Media?)

>In what way is All Dogs go to Heaven corporate
Corporate in the way of production: Bluth had the option to direct An American Tail 2 after The Land Before time because he had the option by contract, but he wanted more control because spielberg was involved even on the storyboard and had the final word about story and scenes. Bluth found a new investor who asked for a movie with the same themes than An American Tail, so thatĀ“s why All Dogs go to Heaven is again about orphans, lowlife criminals, etc. He also started to cut production values here and the movie is less detailed and polished than NIMH, AAT or TBT, the same reason of why he leave Disney.

I like All Dogs, but his best films are An American Tail and The Land Before Time just because are the only ones with a strong storytelling.

"An American Tail is a vehicle for promoting thinly veiled Jewish Marxist ideals and throwing open our great nation's gates to trespassers. Irish harps, who do a job for a nickel what a nigger does for a dime and a white man used to get a quarter for.

What have they done? Name one thing they've contributed.

Votes? Votes, you say? They vote how the archbishop tells them, and who tells the archbishop? Their king in the pointy hat what sits on his throne in Rome."

t. /pol/tards on /his/ the last time I started a thread about Don Bluth there

Attached: mother whoring irish nigger.jpg (464x309, 87K)

That's so sad. I bet they talk shit about his exaggerated stretching and squashing, don't they?

But... but why a Don Bluth thread over there?

Attached: 1502248195593.jpg (1026x1003, 136K)

>dat subtle hand movement in the last segment
Great focus on detail, theres barely animated movies where you can see that. Zootopia did that pretty good aswell

If I remember correctl, frisbee did not make a claim, Don Bluth was just concerned they would because frisbees were extremely popular at the time.

mouse history is history too

>"An American Tail is a vehicle for promoting thinly veiled Jewish Marxist ideals and throwing open our great nation's gates to trespassers.
>Irish harps, who do a job for a nickel what a nigger does for a dime and a white man used to get a quarter for.

Funny thing: Spielberg wanted to move the production to Ireland / UK, but Don Bluth Refused because he didnĀ“t want to have non american animators in a movie called "An American Tail"

Attached: nimh brisby before_you_go_by_jonasdrawsstuff-d75wqk3.jpg (1200x750, 445K)

Itchy was cute tho

>Mrs Brisby will never love you the way she loved Jonathan...

Attached: 1496410455.mana-tree_1493707998.furseiseki_brasb.png (989x1280, 423K)

>Mouse scaled teddy

That is really adorable.

Attached: re_animated__the_secret_of_nimh_by_bkcrazies0_dc2onlu-fullview.jpg (1024x634, 91K)

From what I've read some of Aurora's lawyers contacted Wham-o which told them they would object to the name. Aurora probably would've won if they got sued for it but they didn't have the money/time for anything like that.

When I was a kid I thought the owl was fine but that was mostly because he killed the spider which did scare the hell out of me!

Attached: 7A94F012-8C86-42D1-A8BF-FAFBF5ED6637.jpg (640x347, 27K)

Okay, as much as I love the version we got a part of me will now be sad that we never got Badass Brisbee

Attached: 1519024850946.png (400x659, 150K)

agree

Attached: 1518925153079.png (500x574, 184K)

Just rewatched NIMH, An American Tail and The Land Before Time some weeks ago and is stil fucking impresive. I hope someday they release the complete version of The Land Before time, since is the shortest movie because it got several cuts and lost around 10 to 15 minutes. An American Tail already lost several scenes, but none of them was into production.

NIMH's animation quality is amazing considering the budget and deadline they had.(for 80s cel animation standards) Gary Goldman mentioned he worked 110 hours a week during the latter part of production.

As for The Land Before Time, according to animators that worked on it the scenes are lost. The situation is similar to The Black Cauldron, although that film at least had the luxury of getting some new animation to make the cuts less obvious.
However, the same thing was said about the Hell scene in All Dogs, and that somehow turned up in a low quality video which was posted in this thread.

Attached: 1519021317950.jpg (705x530, 71K)

Discussions about how "accurate" Anastasia is. Occasionally ones about An American Tail as well.

Unfortunately /his/ overlaps with WWII and the American Civil War so a significant portion of its userbase are also full-blown /pol/tards

pic related, /k/ has the same problem

Attached: Waffen SS 2020.jpg (1206x1228, 259K)

>Do not copy or distribute

Oops.

Mouse Guard crossover when?

Golly, ya think?

Attached: ec033dd8cf1f.gif (175x175, 742K)

>RESULTS FOR GRASS

Fuck.

Necrobumper

>Implying they weren't forced unwillingly to be one after the 1956 Revolution failed.
It's bad when America does it, but when Vodkas do it they're just "liberating".

Greatest thing ever!

Is that some Redwall

We can only hope.

probably because the movie was too sad
I was never able to finish it as a kid

Here you go, friend
youtu.be/uVwl8RjroD0

Attached: 1492483618118.png (600x600, 410K)

Does she look better with glasses?

Thank you.

>Necrobump
>Yea Forums

What's this edgy shit?

Given that she wears them in the sequel...

No. Nothing about the sequel is good.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 10K)

>that entryway
oh my.

>the mother fucker rotoscoped
if you want to get an animated film done on time and budget, you rotoscope.

Well yes, flowers certainly are lovely!

is call dark fantasy grampa!

Attached: 1518925290877.jpg (457x724, 63K)

mrs. brisby is top-tier
my brother decided to watch it after hearing how bad it was.
he's still mad

Attached: 1492479556523.jpg (776x795, 41K)

Attached: 1438682629047.png (300x300, 18K)

Hehhehheh... that's a nice one.

>no anthro outide of Yea Forums and /trash/
Hey how come this thread is still alive yet the Zootopia one was just killed 30 mins ago? :^/

Cause she's a cute, soft spoken older woman in a role you don't usually see characters like her in. It's charming and you want her to succeed.

Aren't Zootopia /trash/ threads just Sanic-tier OC shit at this point?

Not my proudest fap desu.

Probably. I dip in there once a month or so to see if streamanon is doing another group showing.

Attached: 492019225437.jpg (486x800, 86K)

The old russian/USSR animation has this dinstinct style

Attached: m'eowlady.gif (488x360, 2.88M)

Yeah, it's mostly Pack Street wanking and "look at this comically mismatched couple I came up with!"

Nice but the helmet wont fit

Well yeah, she's asking to have it modified.

I miss the 80s when there was quite a lot of dark fantasy in all sorts of popular media. Today is quite tame in comparison.

There's something about 90s/early 2000s internet furry comics that has a certain charm to it. Reminds me too well of Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers

>Brisby AND Gadget
Now that's cute.

Here's the whole thing for free.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ja8TsLgOGfI

>not available in your country
Why do people do this?

Distribution rights.

>All Dogs Go to Heaven
>Soulless

Sure it wasn't great compared to NIMH but I thought it told a good story about how even if you do bad things, you can still turn things around to ultimately be good in your own way.

Now if you're talking about the sequel and that weird Christmas special they did....then I'm with you, user.

>Sabrina Online

Dude I love rotoscoping.
Expecially for backgrounds.

Attached: https___static.tvtropes.org_pmwiki_pub_images_mcog.jpg (308x415, 39K)

When I was a kid liked the cartoon adaption that exists now except for that fucking mary sue mouse not in the book, and the fact that villians would tickle their enemies in place of torture had me rolling my eyes.
Man. Those books were actually brutal. So many other kids books felt condescending to me because I was a kid, but people would die in every Redwall book, and the villians could actually be terrifyingly savage.
Brain Jacques probably couldn't have gotten away with it if they weren't woodland creatures.
Can't say I remember much about the cartoons, just the books.

Attached: http___prodimage.images-bn.com_pimages_9780441005482_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg (387x630, 71K)

back when it has a sense of humor, some self awareness, and wasn't cancerous and cringey

Internet ruin everything

>and the fact that villians would tickle their enemies in place of torture had me rolling my eyes.

Some user got off that.

Pray for never.

OwO What is this?

Necrobumper

youtu.be/Qkok0MJwJHc
Commendable vigilance, Turbo-Satan.
Keep up the good work.

Thank you. Are you from Russia or just know Soviet shorts?

From one of it's formerly ajoined republics.
I've kinda made it my duty to bring them up around here whenever appropriate, mostly in theme dumps.
I know, there are better pastimes.

Ukraine?

Looks like the Alva armor from dark souls 2

>all those eye lashes animated
It's actually quite impressive.

I love pretty much all of those movies though. And the animation movement in them was fantastic, I still remember Pebble and the Penguin and I have a soft spot for Titan A.E.

But I really like CGI fuzz

Attached: 3a7586079c39e0f883a8d7285f3ea3e4.jpg (874x1040, 84K)

Uhhh, meow?

Attached: IMG_2233.png (1024x886, 952K)

Okay, it checks out.

If you say so man. He was a good dog, I'll give him that. Definitely deserves heaven.

Attached: Itchy_4[1].png (821x461, 540K)

Her long, thin snout and small ears make her look elegant and refined, which creates a contrast with the childlike cuteness of her large eyes fluffy fur. The juxtaposition of these contrasting traits creates what is known as "gap moe".

I do think she is the best-looking cartoon mouse in animation history, and she has a lot to compete with. It really is the nose that makes all the difference.

Same shot in the finished film.
It's interesting to see what they crop out, if you look closely also shows the 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratio which is that drawn box on some frames.

Attached: NIMH.webm (640x480, 1.73M)

It also fits well with her looks that she is an innocent mother who is trying to help her children. That core of her character just adds a lot to why she looks and acts the way she does.

I didnĀ“t calles soulless, I called it corporative and uninspired, because he started to repeat the same productions mistakes that forced him to leave Disney. All Dogs Is a good premise, but too convulted, Bluth is a great animation director, but he needs to work on the adaptations of good stories or be couched by a real director in order deliver good storytelling.

>Bluth isn't perfect, the mother fucker rotoscoped
Rotoscopy was a sugestion of Spielberg in order to diferenciate "human world" from the "animal world" in an american tail, he liked the idea of the tractor in NIMH (wich was done in this way to save budget) and it works really good. In Anastasia rotoscopy is everywhere and looks shitty.

What I hate is that I love this sort of stuff and have a great passion towards animation. But I can't do artwork for my life. I tried 3D and while I understand all the concepts and skills behind it I have no motivation to do any of it. Guess I'll always just be a fanboy.

>4 kids
Boy did she enjoy the sex

Attached: 123873269426984.png (472x356, 206K)

The movie was made longer ago than the statute of limitations for murder. Think you're off the hook, bad boy.

Considering the average rat litter is about 6 i'm surprised there isn't more. Perhaps the benefit of increased intelligence is fewer offspring.

>frisbee claimed copyright on a name that dates back to the 13th century
That's some next-level bullshit

The whole idea of the book is motherhood. She is like your mom. You dont think in sex when you think in your mom, uh?

It really does break my heart that they don't make em like this anymore and they probably never will again. What for the past 20 or so years now every kids movie is filled with pop culture references, lame jokes, and soul-less animation. There's no mystique or sense of true wonder at all.

Compare the sort of magic they had in the 80s, to the sort of magic used now. Now: Narwhal blast. Sparkle vampire. Raven's teleport and punch. Then: Eldritch sorcery thirsts for your soul, but can be defeated by The Power Of Love.
It's clear they pared it down too far, then added in the current trends of "competence means paintball armor" and "we only love the hero because he's strong."

That or she ate the others.

>she didn't end up growing old with Justin

Still mad.

Attached: Nimh002.jpg (640x360, 146K)

2D animation is crazy beautiful, why the fuck don't they make it anymore?

The kind of training that produced that kind of 2D doesn't really exist any more. There are still some old guard that can do it, of course. It's also seen as less profitable than 3D animation.

It's not a 2D animation problem, they could achieve this with 3D. I believe 3D at this point is superior to 2D, you can even use 3D to achieve a 2D look if you want.
The problem is that the way of choosing shots, making stories and designing environments has changed so much for the worse.
In a modern movie you'd have Brisby walk into a massive overdesigned environment (because more scale = more wonder, that's the correct formula) and she says "whoa" so the audience relates, then Brutus lands into the shot and is framed to look menacing, also he's 3 times bigger, he speaks some menacing line, the chase would be overdesigned as well with all sorts of crazy physics happening, it wouldn't be as dark and scary, and Brisby would probably defeat him in some way because girl power, and directors wouldn't trust their audience with the concept of a guardian just preventing people from entering a place. You can easily picture this all because you've seen it so many times.
Understatement and nuance have been completely discarded because movie directors do not trust or respect their audience anymore, and I'm afraid they're right. Kids literally can't watch old Disney movies anymore, they're not frantic and clear enough.

Art shouldn't be about profit, dammit.

Attached: This money, this shit.png (1278x1014, 1.3M)

The "whoa" part is painful to me.

It's always been about profit, it's just that marketing > ideas and the art market is so saturated that it's become a race to the bottom.

Bluth and many other well known animators of his generation were personally trained by Disney's Nine Old Men. I don't think it will truly be a lost art(there are still a lot of books on the subject, plus production footage) but the Nine Old Men's successors have not been able to pass the baton as far as 2D goes.

2D animation is more time consuming than 3D. In an interview, Don Bluth explained that spielberg didnt like an 20 second scene from An American Tail and he wanted to shoot it AGAIN but this time from another perspective. Bluth had to explain him that they could do it but they would need at least 3 months to add that 20 seconds of animation because everything should be done from the scratch. In 3D you save assets for characters and BG, so you just move the camera and render again, that 20 secons could be ready in 1 week or so.

2D is dead because production system changed, movies now are not only more detailed and complex, but also, more easy to change/edit in 3D.

He has a few bad habits. His most obvious are his waddle walks where characters kinda bend over every step. This could kinda be excused adopted that as a signature style though.

You can see a prime example in He was very much of the older school of animation where you needed to keep everything moving all the time.

He compares very unfavourably to Glen Keane who dialed down movement but produced animation that felt natural whilst still being expressive. But then, I'm not sure we'll ever see another animator as gifted as him. Modern animation definitely tends towards 'less is more' and studios love it as it's usually cheaper.

Attached: kTfS015.gif (500x250, 659K)

Personally, I feel the issues people tend to point out about Bluth's animation aren't as apparent yet in NIMH. The way Mr. Ages walks doesn't feel out of place since he has a broken leg.

>Glen Keane
He is part of the problem that brought us to this point in animation. His animation paradigm was also cheaper and make inbetweeners obsolete.

I rewatched Anastasia and boy did the rotoscoping bother me. It was super jarring seeing Anastasia and her love interest move around weirdly alongside all the more typical bluth style people.

Yeah, it works on NIMH and AAT because is just a few times when humans appear, but in Anastasia is the oposite, humans had more screentime so is dificult to avoid.

She's a mouse dumbass. Also Bianca > Duchess. Duchess is boring and worthless.

Managed to miss this thread. How is it still up though?

>All Dogs
>corporate

Attached: storyboard.png (720x540, 536K)

Rats are ok, cats aren't

she's a cat, no need to state the obvious.

pikachu is actually based off a little alaskan animal called the pika, which is a relative of rabbits!

Attached: bapy.jpg (1900x2375, 429K)

So not a mouse. Honestly, I always did not like how Pikachu is called the "electric mouse" there's nothing mouse like about it.

Excuse me?

Attached: ss officer kitten.jpg (680x987, 137K)

necrobumper

I don't think you're helping the case for "cats are ok" with that hat.

youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Attached: mrs__brisby_by_joaoppereiraus-dckzwxa.png.jpg (843x948, 153K)

Nice!

Profit means to make more than you should right? I believe in fairness instead, get enough for food

necrobumper

>should

Who decides that?

>inb4 planned economy

Fairness would be throwing all communists in a pit and leaving them to starve.

"Divide, and divide again!"
That only works for Communism and rats.

Attached: mrs_brisby___figure_concept_by_bbmbbf-dcneo14.png.jpg (1243x642, 70K)

I always remember that funny feeling when Brisby would take off her cloak when she was trying to poison Dragon. It was like you never pictured her as a regular mouse or naked until that cloak was off. It was very effective.

I 100% agree.

Attached: bV0xXW2 - Imgur.png (1472x800, 625K)

source?

This video:
They're prototype designs.

Yes. She couldn't get more non-Gadget, yet she did.

Thanks, user.