How would it have handled 9/11?

How would it have handled 9/11?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tOiG0qXokvs
youtube.com/watch?v=r2uNzjBCxYc
youtube.com/watch?v=HnaiZALS2nY
youtube.com/watch?v=g_bH_d7fppI
youtube.com/watch?v=rNbe2Nnwf_8
youtube.com/watch?v=bjJJkZOrApY
youtu.be/98XPuWYOD9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=4v5U6ViwwaA
youtube.com/watch?v=sr13Y-wu3nU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Quest
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=tOiG0qXokvs

I honestly find it hard to imagine. The Critic was a very irreverent, cynical show and I can't really imagine them having to address something so serious and fresh in people's minds without it either coming across as depressing or insincere.

The only way I can see them managing it is through a storyline with Jay and his son, their relationship had most of the series' heartfelt moments. Maybe the whole thing would have Marty down and paranoid about terrorists being everywhere, and Jay takes him on a trip around NY to try and calm his fears, but while Marty gets reassured Jay becomes increasingly pissed off at all the increased security and ends up miserable.

But they'd probably have just taken the Twin Towers out of the OP and not mentioned it.

>I give 9/11 a 0/11.
>in other words, it stinks!
>but because Duke makes me say something nice about everything I review, at least there might be less traffic down town.

Kek

Probably just a new title card.

youtube.com/watch?v=r2uNzjBCxYc

youtube.com/watch?v=HnaiZALS2nY

I was just gonna mention the fucking escape from the wits black magic

I think Jay and Marty would have 'randomly' been out of town that day and his boss would have made a killing in 'patriotic' memorabilia.

wait, they're on YouTube? there goes my evening

This. Simpsons as far as I recall never brought up the event at all. Critic probably would have just glossed over it and only maybe indirectly poke fun at the subject by maybe parodying films like Reign over Me by changing the date to something obscure or whatever.
Of course, I could see them having maybe crafted a revised OP that maybe pays tribute to Ground Zero for the first airing, then just uses a different skyline and not mention the original in any fashion thereafter.

>Simpsons as far as I recall never brought up the event at all
Yeah, but The Simpsons isn't set in New York. I think it would have been a bit difficult for a show explicitly set in New York to just totally ignore it.

Yea, but Critic was never one for topical stuff aside from movies and the occasional nod to events from the time it was set in. It wasn't like South Park or Family Guy which have both always been very big on touching on big events in some way.

>And nothing of value was lost!

roland emmerich would make a cameo.
Probably woddy allen too and all the people who take new york as their "place"

I mean the WTC was in the intro. Would they have just removed it?

>The only way I can see them managing it is through a storyline with Jay and his son, their relationship had most of the series' heartfelt moments. Maybe the whole thing would have Marty down and paranoid about terrorists being everywhere, and Jay takes him on a trip around NY to try and calm his fears, but while Marty gets reassured Jay becomes increasingly pissed off at all the increased security and ends up miserable.

This is really good.

>Marty becomes not just more reassured but even a little more patriotic, upbeat at the security people doing their jobs and are being kind to him as they explain what they do
>Jay becomes more unhappy over a lot of the little things he used to do or enjoy being shut off, walled away, or cancelled in the name of security, wondering if Ben Franklin had a point
>he's glad Marty is safer, but can only hope it gets better for Marty's generation as they grow up and things begin to lighten up again for when he becomes an adult
>in the end, at least smiles a bit in pride at his home town New York bouncing back from the disaster

Probably, I'd imagine they'd just focus on another skyline that's recognizably New York to people and leave it at that. While the towers were certainly iconic, it's not like there aren't loads of other landmarks they could use. I'd imagine they probably would have also changed the rest of the opening sequence just to be consistent.

Probably would have a side-character mention that it was just a conspiracy to cause another endless war in the middle-east and control the opium trade in afghanistan to fund otherwise unfundable secret operations.
And because a side-character said it as an aside no one would take it seriously even though that's exactly what the fuck it is.

the side character gets pulled into a black van immediately after saying it, and is never seen in the series again

Would they have been a C-list celeb? The show largely focused on celebrities either through name dropping or visual gags poking fun at something about a certain someone.

I know it would be creatively soiled by modern bullshit but I wish I could somehow have more of the critic. Such an underrated classic of adult animation. Its not the most amazing thing but it certainly isn't bad.

Would be tough though given like 3 members of the cast have died and likely need replacements if they were to remain in the series.

>what's that episode again ?
>quicly browse without sound
>laugh like a retard at the sight of even any single frame
god i love this show

Freeze, dirtbag! You're under ar-

Attached: roboclap.jpg (623x480, 86K)

Zoolander which came out 2 months after 9/11 had TWC digitally removed from the sky line in various shots

Oh Wilson, my wife is happy again!

Attached: Franklin Sherman 2.jpg (1123x940, 180K)

youtube.com/watch?v=g_bH_d7fppI

Friends managed to ignore it.

youtube.com/watch?v=rNbe2Nnwf_8

Isn't that the movie you called a mixture of "fantasy and crap"?

youtube.com/watch?v=bjJJkZOrApY

>Hey, who are you guys?
>We are... caterers.
>You're pretty heavily-armed for caterers
>We took the subway!
>You're pretty lightly-armed for the subway!

Attached: Louis laugh.gif (170x200, 176K)

>nothing of value was lost

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 20K)

>9/11 happens. Jay manages to keep it together even while his family is still a bit shaken up.
>Back to work, he is placed to review a sappy awful and badly directly 9/11 "based on a true story" schlock.
>Giving it his full honesty and saying it stinks puts him on hot water with the public because they think he is "direspecting the people who are grieving" rather than the movie just being very bad.

>The episode is about how Jay tries to stick to his guns and explain that giving a bad movie a bad review doesn't mean he is disrespecting america and the people ad the victims, while also having to sooth his family's worries about security.

Can't imagine anyone but Margo and Jay being shaken by the events. Eleanor and Franklin probably would be somewhat oblivious, at least the latter since Frank was insane.

I don't know if they'd have the balls to do that, but that is the kind of thing they would have done if they did it. Great work user. The Critic is something I know would never be as good as it was if it came back but I still vaguely wish it would have.

Clone High and Mission Hill are both much better and more deserving of a continuation, but The Critic was pretty good

Hoo

My wife Eleanor.

This thread reminded me this video existed
youtu.be/98XPuWYOD9Y

Hoo

My wife, Eleanor!

Attached: Franklin Sherman 3.jpg (1120x850, 103K)

My wife Eleanor.

Where is the first part?

Probably not reloaded or got axed again.

Fucking YouTube.

Jay and Marty dancing for 20 minutes, with Jay wearing that stylish suit from that one episode.

Frank probably did it in the first place

Isn't that the guy from the simpsons? The one with the film festival?

By staying at home the day the towers hit.

>I thought I'd be happier.
>Usually I'm the reason a building collapses.
>[creaking noises beneath Jay's bed]
>[pan down to reveal massive supporting struts attached to concrete barriers. One of the barriers cracks audibly.]

Jay Sherman.

Lel

>Not Downtown

This is pretty much what I was going to post. Seems like a believable storyline.

Downtown was also neat and gets a lot of credit for experimenting with its animation (I’d say it’s a much more original show than The Critic easily) but I’m not sure you could make it work today. It’s about as late 90s as possible. Also IIRC the characters were mostly representations of real people and stories voiced by their non-professional actor inspirations so either you’d have to pick up 20 years later at a very different point in their lives, update the setting while keeping their ages the same and take on a more fictionalized tone, or use totally different people/characters in the same setting and framework

youtube.com/watch?v=4v5U6ViwwaA

youtube.com/watch?v=sr13Y-wu3nU

>it gets a seque

Why was Alice so Perfect Yea Forums?

In a humourous, black comedy kinda way by using some of it's more immoral characters.

>Jay's Father: Didn't there used to be 2 big towers over there?
>Jay's Mother: Who cares darling? New York's skyline changes everyday

>some of it's more immoral characters.

*some of its more immoral characters.

Attached: AFF00408-2B3D-406E-9030-8FF6DA79A100.jpg (1600x899, 133K)

Not
>Franklin imagines himself crashing into the WTC in the style of some old cartoon, perhaps aping the style of Johnny Quest

Attached: Alice movie time.png (750x1200, 384K)

What did they watch, Satantango?

Jay probably suggested one of his artsy films, but Alice probably won him over with a classic Hollywood film that he either doesn't completely hate or does enjoy. She probably also silences his need to critique while watching by brushing against his side so his elbows get some boob action and he clams up.

absolutely based gene shallot

Literally, who?

>Casablanca

A bit predictable, but hard to imagine much else Jay would tolerate that isn't Indie shit.

He liked several foreign movies.

Yea, and hardly anything else. Can only wonder how much happier he'd have been if he were given free reign to review the movies he actually liked.

Jay you're so damn mopey about that two towers thing that you're losing your viewers. I'd like to imagine that they're killing themselves but more realistically they're changing the channel in hopes to find commercials about starving African children to lift their spirits. From now on whenever you talk about 9/11 you have to put on a clown wig and nose. Understand?

Attached: duke.jpg (480x360, 20K)

Americans really hate foreign movies. They often remake the setting to take place with Americans. Jay would have had no money outside film festivals.

>Johnny Quest

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Quest

>coming across as depressing
then that's how they should've done it

>season three would have had an episode where Alice gets homesick and go back to the South
>Duke would have tagged along

The greatest tragedy.

Real question: How would The Critic deal with the death of Doris (Doris Grau)?

Same difference.