Token diversity character is discarded as a bigoted stereotype/caricature years later

>token diversity character is discarded as a bigoted stereotype/caricature years later

Will it happen again? in 30 years, will all these lesbians in cartoons be seen as gross stereotypes?

Attached: 250px-Apachechief.jpg (250x191, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dZafCmEC5AQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I’m 30 years we’ll all be dead.

Speak for yourself, tubby.

god I hope so

what stereotype? wearing pastels?

yea

They already are by people who themselves aren't gross stereotypes

god I wish that were me

>Apache Chief
I miss western DC characters.
Scalphunter was definitely up there as the best western DC hero, awesome character. Too bad he won't be coming back thanks to Amerifats issue with the name.

Fuck this whiny shit topic, watch this shit!
youtube.com/watch?v=dZafCmEC5AQ

Better than her Gorilla origin.

she cute

they brought him back for justice league/young justice as Longshadow, he's been heavily changed from his original design and origin, though.

and he doesnt yell made up injun words to grow in size.

No, because the lesbians in cartoons nowadays are already portrayed as fully developed characters like any other, except they're attracted to the same sex instead of the opposite sex.

We already have people today who claim that characters becoming gay "takes over their entire characterization" and "drowns out all their other traits", but that bit of perspective bias is likely to become less common and accepted in the future.

The philosophy of "progressivism" survives on manufactured conflict. It needs a battle to justify itself. You bet there is something we're doing now that they will deem unacceptable in the future. That's how it works. Notice how the appropriate word for black people changes every 5 years or so?

>It needs a battle to justify itself.
This is true for all humanity.

Damn, Daphne

>Watch a trashy, shit-tier capeshit from the 60's.
no thanks

>"I have to learn no words to describe people I'm already going to just call 'niggers' online, which is why nothing is wrong with society and we should do nothing to improve it."

Who are you quoting?

Theres plenty of tolkienism in the media. Lots of it badly written enough to not age well.

You know you could easily tweak Apache Chief and make him an awesome marketable hero.

Indians are fucking cool. Sucks we can't really have them anymore.

>Tolkienism
Yeah I’m sick of seeing Hobbits forced into plots for the sake of diversity

they did a pretty good job in young justice
too bad the shows dead in the water

and who's fault is that, white man?

You can, it’s just that they’re such a small demographic most companies don’t see the profit in catering to them. Apache Chief is cool because he’s a size changer/bruiser instead of a dime a dozen shaman. Just rename him Long Shadow and give him a new costume

White people who complained about their depiction in media on their behalf.

That's because equality isn't the purpose behind these movements anymore. Instead, they reinforce the intolerance and constantly move the goalposts so that they get to keep their job forever.

Some will definitely do, the same way we now see 90s diversity as a commercial ploy. But not all of them only the ones that wheren't characters but instead only where there to fill out a quota.

Attached: 1_p-LmGsXIjoBKGHR8B0DAgQ[1].jpg (751x517, 175K)

Yep. They've overstayed their genuine usefulness and now have to manufacture division with one hand and offer the solution with the other.

Isn't it doing well?

You know I thought the Token Minority Team in Rogue One was stupid but I really digged the Shazam family in the movie. It's so 90's I love it, top with a crippled kid and they all being orphans and it's even better

Attached: the-shazam-family-in-justice-league-21-illustrated-by-gary-frank.jpg (3975x3056, 3.26M)

This. Lesbians were already "gross strereotypes" a few years ago when they were sexy supermodel ninja warriors who like to take showers in front of straight guys.

Attached: Clara_and_Foxxy_in_Hot_Tub.png (1270x952, 1.03M)

and now they are surprises without any setup seasons in so as not to rock the boat too hard.

Could Bravestarr be remade today? His mystical Native American spirit animal superpowers wouldn't raise a fuss, would it?

Attached: bravestarr_main.jpg (825x464, 342K)

not stereotypes, but those episodes where they derail the plot/theme to insert gratitous gay will be viewed as dated. like the amount of gay weddings will drop when it becomes less of a middle finger to the man to get gay married. most of the gay people i know irl get married really fast.

i didn't even notice the miroities in rogue one, those were fine. i did notice almost none of them were nonhuman, or indeed, bothans, which was dumb

I would like a shaman character like how mk Nightwolf is

When lesbian characters are used as a way to prove "see, the authors are the right people because we're using the right language," and the wrong people use the same technique, the goalposts will be moved and then those well-meaning authors will be on the other side and lumped in with the wrong people. Same as how the correct name for blacks in America keeps changing every time the "bad people" have adapted and complied with requests to use the correct language.

We are going through post-modernist hell, and when you're going through hell, "keep going."

Attached: be_true_to_yourself.png (638x301, 84K)

Sure. You could probably get away with being specific as to exactly what tribe Bravestarr and Shaman belong do, then grounding the mysticism specifically in that tribe's cultural heritage. Alternately you could just drop the mystic abilities, for Bravestarr specifically, since it's not hugely important to the character.

Indian shamans are overplayed as fuck. Let us have size changing goodness

Like who? I barely see any shaman characters in comics

how about legion's dawnstar? she could fly and shit

It’s not exclusively a comics thing, it’s a common trope/cliche in fiction. Whenever there’s a Native American character, 9/10 there’s spiritual insight shit involved

size changing is pretty wack its always the same

does anyone know what song was playing when billy stole the cop car? i don't want to make a thread just for that question.

Attached: 9F0D023B-D2D9-4F27-9E4E-C237789BE534.jpg (1450x1933, 1010K)

do they fuck?

I misread that as 'Indian Shadman"

get off Yea Forums lad, you're becoming poisoned

>because the lesbians in cartoons nowadays are already portrayed as fully developed characters like any other
Holy shit you should be a comedian

Attached: d157iwc-ac01d0a2-3f8c-4f52-a92a-d54abaf5cd1b.jpg (595x842, 464K)

I loved it in Shazam. It felt forced, but tongue in cheek, like they knew they were making a late 90s, early 2000s capeflick

>i didn't even notice the miroities in rogue one, those were fine
It was stupid, in a galaxy far, far away with countless alien species somehow this particurlar group has at least one person of each human ethinicity, not a single alien? Sure, I like this type of shit on something like Power Rangers and Star Wars is still a silly franchise for kids, but Rogue One was trying to be this darker perspective of the Star Wars universe. It doesn't ruin the film, which still sucked, I'm just using it to compare it with something where it works

Exactly, just like Aquaman both these movies felt different from the typical MCU movie while not sucking like the other DC ones. I also find it ironic that Shazam had what is probably the edgiest scene in any cape movie I've watched

>Will it happen again? in 30 years, will all these lesbians in cartoons be seen as gross stereotypes?
They already are stereortypes.
It used to be that token characters would be rather bland characters that had exaggerated traits associated with their minority group (Apache chief literally wearing buckskins and El Dorado wearing a sombrero) nowadays you have token characters that are bland and are painfully generic with the writers taking extra care to make sure they have no stereotypical traits at all but they are still lacking in a personality beyond being a boring character that happens to be X minority, often completely lacking in any sort of character flaws or personality. in both the old and new cases these characters are defined by their race/gender/sexual orientation and that's not how you make an interesting character.

Some day we might get minority characters that are more than just lazy tokens but I don't think it's ever going to come from the people that see it as meeting some kind of quota.

Attached: 1548904768592.jpg (704x554, 92K)

Whiny college students?

Based and anthropogenic climate change pilled.

Crossover when?

>AC is a kid
>old man still calls him Chief

Attached: Jonah Hex 036.jpg (800x1200, 351K)

We can, it’s just that the White people writing them never bother to do literally any research on the people they’re depicting and what they’re like, either now or 200 years ago.

The appropriate words for Black people in America haven’t changed since 1968.

Yeah, pretty much. To avoid this you gotta write them as a character first and a token second, but a lot of people just throw in a minority or gay person for the sake of them being there.

Yes.

This.

50 FT OF FUCK!

You would never be satisfied until the character is so mary sue it's uninteresting.

They used the term "person of color" in 1968?

Progressivism has the same end goal it's always had: people not suffering or being discriminated against because of the kind of person they are. The reason it's been going on for so long is because we've had to apply this core concept individually to every group, issue, and situation that comes up, and the "solutions" keep being half-measures that only partially alleviate some of a specific group's problems, leaving more room for further progress.

That's not it. It's not a dichotomy. The key to representation isn't "character traits first, minority traits second", it's "character traits first, minority traits as character traits". A character should be a certain way because of who they are, not because of what "their kind" are like.

For example, a lesbian character can be written well by treating her attraction to girls the same way that another character's attraction to boys would be treated. You still get people claiming that her romance-related character traits are just instances of her "being gay" which overshadows all her "real" character traits, but like I said, it's not a dichotomy.