Swat Kats

Is this show actually good, or is it only still talked about because of furfags and waifufags?

Attached: wp2030534.jpg (2225x1134, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x4als4t
dailymotion.com/video/x4a2jmw
youtube.com/watch?v=H0IQBWWabuU
youtu.be/CsOrCq811r8
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/スワットカッツ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokuon
behindthevoiceactors.com/tv-shows/SWAT-Kats-The-Radical-Squadron/japanese-cast/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's okay with great music and neat action. Season 2 has a better visual style, overall, but season 1 has better stories, IIRC.

Good action
Great comic book like aesthetic
Exciting plots
Menacing and Varied villains
Wonderful camaraderie between T-bone and Razor
Commander Feral
Decent lore
Cat Waifus

What's not to love?

Planes > cat girls.

Attached: Turbokat.webm (640x480, 1.7M)

26 episodes total, so there isn't a whole lot of content to speak of. The premise is idiotic (heroes fight crime with a jet because that's not overkill at all) yet they get it to work thanks mostly to a weird setting where all crime takes place in 1 and only 1 city in the world, all police officers use helicopters instead of cars, and all crime is fought on an aerial level even bank robberies and purse snatchings.

The show built up a really good rogues gallery in its short time, which I think is what sold it best. Continuity between villain appearances was strict, too; if a bad guy "died" at the end of one episode, their next appearance was obliged to explain how they survived. Animation in season 2 is nice. Ultimately, the show doesn't lead anywhere or do anything, though, but fine for what it was.

It's great.

Glovatrix > planes > cat girls

Attached: glovatrix-mk2-006.jpg (640x480, 35K)

Plane > Truck > Glove > Girls

Attached: Thunder Truck.webm (640x480, 2.63M)

God this show was so fucking aesthetic

Too bad they're strategically only showing clips from the nice-looking episodes. The entire first season was animated by some Korean sweatshop and looks like ass.

One of the episodes is a clip-job so it's 25, really.

I love how un-selfconsciously silly it was; Megakat City has the atmosphere of a big American city but there's an 800-year-old stone tower there like it's a European city, it's on the water but there are huge mountains minutes away, there are Aztex pyramids with Egyptians mummies inside close-by and a tropical island within naked-eye distance of the skyline.

S1 gets really good looking by the last episodes, and the colors and backgrounds are fantastic regardless

Callie is a

It's one funky city.

Attached: Megakat city04.jpg (640x480, 35K)

I wish we could've seen more than just Megakat City; having the entire series take place claustrophobically in a single location, even one with Springfield-style versatility, got monotonous. They showed in one episode that other non-cat animal people existed (a hyena is a villain in one episode) but we never got more of a taste than that.

Attached: Morbulus vs the Swat Kats.webm (640x480, 2.74M)

Correct opinion

Attached: Tomcats.jpg (1485x1050, 418K)

Wasnt that guy some kind of cheetah hybrid

>Ultimately, the show doesn't lead anywhere or do anything, though
If you're talking about having something like an ongoing plot, you need to consider the expectations of the time it came out. In 93-94 there wasn't much of an expectation for cartoons to have on going plots, especially out of creator driven cartoons.

Yeah, though it was weird that even though the show didn't have an ongoing plot, there was continuity to it. Like the Metallikats; you could watch all their episodes isolated and get a serialized plot, since each picks up right where the last one left off (they get decapitated at the end of one episode, the next one their heads take over giant robots but they get deactivated at the end, then the next one has Creeplings stealing their heads from police storage, etc.). The show had good enough story editing that it probably COULD have juggled an ongoing narrative if it wanted to, but chose to be episodic, instead.

Episodic was absolutely the style at the time; there's nothing wrong with it, though.

A lot of modern cartoons try to do ongoing plots and shit the bed because of it.

>A lot of modern cartoons try to do ongoing plots and shit the bed because of it.

Probably because they're all board-driven these days instead of script-driven, and board-driven cartoons are suited for gag shorts, not elaborate serialized plots and Deepest Lore mythology.

But Adventure Time was a hit so plots for everyone! No exceptions!

>IMPLYING PLANES ARE NOT BEST WAIFU CATGIRLS

Callie is pretty waifu-able. Aside from the somewhat concealed curves she's a spunky, irrepressible character who doesn't veer into grrl powah cliches. More like some versions of Lois Lane she's brave but needs extraordinary help to deal with extraordinary threats.

A shame Revolution never happened.

Supposedly it's still being shopped around.
Abby Sinian and Felina Feral were top tier too.

Which of the Grumman cats is your favourite?

Attached: F4F 2.jpg (1920x1080, 296K)

Did they ever fully decide on what it was called? I saw it captioned as Glove of Tricks and Glovatrix.

Glovatrix of course, it was the 90s and everything needed the letters K, X and Z, which as we all know are the edgiest letters.

Glovatrix and Glove-o'-tricks are homophones.

The heroes for this cartoon gave each other so many death glares and competed with each other so hard you kept wondering if they were Dante and Virgil - tier rivals.

You kidding? I have a friend with whom I have almost nothing but shittalking. It's natural male bonding to be rivals with your friend.

One of the best Hanna Barbara cartoons.

So good it killed Hanna-Barbera as a studio and all their IPs got switched over to Warner Bros Animation. Based Swat Kats!

Sure, one cartoon ruined an entire studio. You're pretending like the show had a Simpsons-grade budget per episode, when it wasn't that more expensive than most shows of the era.

It's pretty damn cool. The first season was pretty good but when the second season was moved to a Japanese studio that also did that great Scooby Doo on Zombie Island movie it got even cooler. Way better action choreography.

I like that episode something something alloys, where there's this orb that assimilates any technology and grows into a giant mech

Unlikely Alloys?

EMBRACE YOUR INNER FURRY

Attached: 018287.jpg (640x480, 51K)

dailymotion.com/video/x4als4t
apparently

What stands out to me is how dark and somewhat nightmarish things could get at times. Morbulus mutation into a blob monster being one thing, said blob monster eating a cow (only shown in shadow) and a whole train car (full with people), the origin of Dr. Viper...

I like how stylized the show was. Most western action shows of the era learned pretty hard on realism and were really visually bland as a result. Swat Kats had a lot more going on visually with a ton of really distinct designs

dailymotion.com/video/x4a2jmw

>it was weird that even though the show didn't have an ongoing plot, there was continuity to it.
I think that just means the writers cared. Though in a way that's still weird by kids' cartoon standards, I'll admit.

Also Hanlon's razor; people see that long serialized plots are good for ratings but don't think for two seconds and realize that it's hard to write those well.

Both. It's a pretty good show, and it is popular among furfags.

Furfags tend to have good taste so if furries like it, it might be good

>all crime takes place in 1 and only 1 city in the world, all police officers use helicopters instead of cars, and all crime is fought on an aerial level even bank robberies and purse snatchings.

Are you high?

So I'm just gonna assume that the reboot is never gonna happen and anyone stupid enough to donate has been swindled?

shame they dont make these shows anymore, animal characters within some kickass vehicles

Attached: vyxx terror.webm (640x360, 2.87M)

I miss it

Why?

Not that user, but it had rock music, it had cool action, and the villains tended to mutate horribly or die. To my child brain this was the most badass cartoon in existence back in the day.

How would modern tech look like in swat kats? Things such as smart phones, internet, surveillance, AI and drones of course

Totally radical. You know those phone cases that look mechanical? Like that. The internet would, ironically, be text-based message boards. I can totally see T-Bone discussing Fraidy Kat in depth on there while Razor uses it to discuss how much Lt. Feral sucks.

They'd be running disinfo on the swat kats 24/7

Better yet, they'd spread disinformation but base it off of actual facts so there's even more confusion as to who they are and how they operate.
By the end of a thready there would be evidence Razor and T-Bone are actually Steele and Felina acting against her uncle.

That second season intro was the tits.

Attached: Bacteria monster eats a subway train.webm (640x480, 2.77M)

Attached: Callie_and_Felina.webm (640x480, 2.3M)

don't you love how an underground train just has a massive fucking locomotive anyway

It truly is a strange world in which they live.

Attached: MASA02.jpg (640x480, 32K)

>Furfags tend to have good taste
lol

well they have a lot to choose from so they can be pickier

If they can't find a channel to pick up the reboot they should just do DTV movies like Scooby-Doo.

Also the exterior of the train bears no resemblance to the interior, with the driver sitting at the front of a car with windows and passengers.

That still requires a production studio to make it, or for them to make something extremely on the cheap after another round of fundraising.

youtube.com/watch?v=H0IQBWWabuU

Didn't they just take the fans money and RAN?

Attached: 1462662047.kanogetz_sk_art_challenge___felina_feral_redesign_by_kanogetz-d9wonyp.png (1024x1280, 886K)

Source?

I thought he was a hyena.

I think Avatar also pushed that trend so the shit spreads far on that one.

>the origin of Dr. Viper...
>He got pushed down the stars and fucking died.

Better than Johnny Quest where a guy gets an ax in the face.

Did they ever reveal the secret racer?

Probably about the same but everthing is smaller.

Are you saying you don't want a 100 mph subway ride?

it's a lot like the early DCAU shows in that regard, during that time in the 90's pretty much the only shows that did actual ongoing plots and didn't get canned after a season or two were the Fox Marvel shows and Power Rangers

>So good it killed Hanna-Barbera as a studio and all their IPs got switched over to Warner Bros Animation.
Hanna-Barbera didn't die as a studio till like 2001 though

It had loads of toyetic marketing opportunities, braindead easy plots, a recognizable rogues gallery, strong, independent whammen, fur for the fags, and an opportunity for more Lockheed Martin dick sucking in the form of them now flying a tricked out F35 which would also give it international appeal.

It's not a matter of if. It's when.

Only one of the whammen was strong and independent. The rest were damsels in distress.

It's not so much how he died as the fact that we saw his corpse arrive at the morgue with a DOA tag on his toe, as in "Dead On Arrival".
Or another episode, where we're explicitly shown the skulls of lost miners. The main characters may have plot armor, but this show didn't shy away from death. And given that it came out of Hanna Barbera, that was quite an accomplishment at that time.

She was such a dyke.

And if the fanart is anything to go by, everyone loves the dyke.

Download the Netflix version and compare it to old rips from Nick India site.
Then claim your prize.

I always thought Felina was a guy. That voice did not trick me.

God when I was a kid, I made paper jet airplanes with my cousins. It was definitely the cartoon that made us want to be fighter pilots.

it was background kino

Attached: megakat_city.png (1213x1950, 2.91M)

Usually, no.

In the 60s and 70s, Hanna Barbara dominated the cartoon market by focusing on limited animation and reusing concepts. There were about 20 different variations on the Scooby Doo concept, for example.

They only got dethroned in the 1980s when other companies started focusing on pouring more money into shows that marketed toys. The toys were the star. There was no real substance to the shows after a while.

Swat Kats was one of those 1980s styled shows about toys that had very little substance. Except it was made in the mid-90s, well after that type of show had fallen way, way out of vogue. It was the most popular cable-only cartoon when it aired, but mainly due to having no competition and being so action oriented.

The Tremblays are kids stuck in the 70s and 80s, who don't really understand modern entertainment. It's probably why their pitch animation they were shipping around fell through. It was probably some edgy toy trash with no substance or character to it, judging by the concept art. Swat Kats was the most popular thing they ever did. Butt Ugly Martians and Mega Babies doesn't look good on a resume.

I totally respect the show for being something so far-out and cool, but in a genuinely good sort of way. This potentially looks like it could've been something that was adapted from an obscure comic from the late 70s-early 90s because of how heavy and weird it is, quite like how TMNT originally was. It's extremely noir and crazy in that old fashioned way. I don't think an animated cartoon like this would ever, ever be created today. Also, I get the idea that this show may have possibly taken a few ideas from some other shows and series that I like, but I won't say.

Why not both?

Attached: 1441010204190.png (1280x952, 478K)

I watched this purely for the visuals, although like most shows from that era, the quality fluctuated greatly depending on which animation studio actually worked on it. Gorgeous when it's the good one, terrible when it's any of the lesser studios.

Some shows are all style and no substance. But in Swat Kats, the style is the substance.

>"just good 'ol plain missile"

How the heck to mechanics can afford having a super f-15 and it's maintenance?

The show establishes all their gadgets and vehicles come from salvaged parts. The Enforcers throw away a lot of neat and useful scraps that they repurpose.

Furry Transformers. Beast Wars needed more plane animals.

pretty sure they delivered on all of the rewards they promised, but they never found anyone to pick up the show.

They should just ask Netflix.

i think they said they had talked to netflix

How coud they fuck that up?

Necrobumper

Oh yeah?

>not even Netflix wants it

Well, a least a IDW comic, no?

Attached: SallyCry.jpg (850x776, 325K)

Is that based off Samurai Pizza Cats? looks great

People have been offering the Tremblays comics but for some reason they haven't taken it seriously, they really want it animated. I think it's foolish, a comic, at least a limited run would be at least a start and help build interest in their animated pitch.

Attached: 1548549337855.webm (720x480, 868K)

Today user was not a fag.

Attached: Metallikat's car.webm (640x480, 1.02M)

All cartoons of that era hold up well compared to the trash being made today.

that's a pretty nice animation of a covered explosion and smoke

Do you have any recommendations? I absolutely loved Spider-Man (1994).

>canopy is ejected from craft
>canopy is suddenly back on craft

I hated this studio. Wish they hadn't done 90% of season 1.

All of them is going a bit far.

Attached: captainplanet.jpg (720x696, 308K)

What? The turbocat was clearly suppose to be a homage to the f-14 TOMCAT!

Literally better than any cartoon made in the past 10 years outside of Voltron and Castlevania (both Netflix series).

>outside of Voltron

>Muh gay wedding! So progressive! So much diversity!

Fag.

user sounds like some vatnik that uses shitty blogs as a source for aeronautic facts and thinks the F-35 totally sucks because of [conjecture about price/doctrine/performance/whinning about Lockheed Martin] and America is totally doomed, should have bought Russian cyka blyat.

Youre right. Captain Planet is better. Just Castlevania, then.

Attached: Bacteria.webm (640x480, 1.33M)

>everyone just fucking dies

brutal

Turbokat is best girl.

When you can tell this is the Japanese part of the show

You can tell it's Japanese in the intro of the second season in the shot when Razor puts on his helmet.

youtu.be/CsOrCq811r8

Wasn't there a Japanese dub? I can't find any info on that other than that it supposedly exists.

ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/スワットカッツ

Look under 音声キャスト for voice actors.

>three smug kanji faces

now i'm interested

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokuon

Attached: Metallikats vs Enforcers.webm (640x480, 1.58M)

those faces aren't kanji, user

behindthevoiceactors.com/tv-shows/SWAT-Kats-The-Radical-Squadron/japanese-cast/

Where can I watch this dub? Seems interesting.

Not here.

>the Enforcer tank actually withstands the cannonfire

impressive

That's a given.

>Putting on a helmet never looked so badass

Attached: 233ea51368ea1f50d7182ed1d73494ffb2196f7b.png (1242x1899, 558K)

Where'd you learn ta drive Yea Forums?

At least this cartoon used bullets.

I liked S1 more from a visual perspective.

You know, i'm a little bit disappointed there wasn't a bigger Japanese fandom for this show, it would have been amazing to see them create content to the same level western fans did.

You might have a point there. I haven't watched it yet and although people mention this show a lot I still know next to nothing about the heroes, villains or plot. All they ever seem to talk about is the waifu.

>All they ever seem to talk about is the waifu.

Just like every other show