Comics should be published in big magazines like in Japan. There is literally no reason why this shouldn't be done...

Comics should be published in big magazines like in Japan. There is literally no reason why this shouldn't be done, also comics should stop being about super heros exclusively.

Attached: Ciao-magazine.png (413x599, 599K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shonen_Jump_(magazine)#Circulation_and_audience
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>expecting comic companies to spend more money on larger paper
Sure if you want the price to get jacked up another 5 bucks per floppy

Diamond Publishing. That is why

>There is literally no reason why this shouldn't be done
marketing kinda cultivated a tribal culture with their fans so you are a X fan, or an Y fan, but you shouldn't be and X and Y fan, unless it's corporate approved team ups.

I can garantee you LCS would start to complain if they only had 10 titles to sell per week, even if those were more expensive and profitable.

>comics should stop being about superheroes exclusively
Just because you choose to only read big two capeshit doesn't mean there aren't plenty of comics that aren't about superheroes

Attached: 1362db1129e55192edf38822ae3bf863.png (500x278, 111K)

LCS basically just sell merch, manga volumes, and trades anymore. Floppies more or less just take up space.

This topis is more directed at the big two.
Of course there is other shit to read, thats not the topic.

>comics should stop being about super heros exclusively
Stopped reading there

That would've worked great if cheap print hadn't died in the west years ago

dumb question but where are the manga compilation books sold in japan? convenience stores? ...manga stores?

Convenience stores, manga stores, hobby stores, book stores, etc. They're available in many places since anthologies don't take much room unlike needing shelf space for dozens of titles.

They’re magazines, you subscribe to them and they’re delivered to you.

can anyone tell me how bad/well exactly the american version of shonen jump fared?

Attached: 220px-Shonen_Jump1.jpg (220x314, 26K)

No, they should just be cheaper. I don't want to pay more money to get 4-6 extra issues of bad comics I don't even bother pirating.
Of course, the real problem is the low quality if the comics themselves but that's a harder thing to fix.

$8-$10 for what basically amounts to multiple issues + possible extra's sounds like a pretty nice deal. of course comic companies are lazy and greedy

This is another issue. LCS' are pretty much the only place to physically get back issues and less mainstream titles, switching to anthology magazine format would run the risk of endangering them.

Cape comics are all about BIG EPIC EVENTS that are too huge to share a book with others. It would have to be slice of life stuff which barely exists here

>doesn't mean there aren't plenty of comics that aren't about superheroes
Most of them are pseudo superheroes or superhero comics undercover.

Manga companies can't even do normal size in the west.

The free comic book day chapters are the largest English printing that you can get your hands on.

Besides, we had English jump in the west and it bombed hard. American's don't want to buy bolted books with only one story that they might cared about.

Before this thread gets deleted what’s a cute anime to watch like sailor moon or xxxholic?

The anthology format would help with that. It's much easier to follow a big event when all the relevant titles are in one convenient magazine. That way you wouldn't have to buy a title you otherwise have no interest in.

My father is a loli

Made in Abyss

>it bombed hard
Considering how long it lasted (an entire decade), I find that hard to believe.

>superhero slice of life
mite b cool

Promised Neverland and Happy Sugar Life

It bombed because it came when the only animes people knew were Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon and jump-started in America when Dragon Ball Z was ending in Toonami

Manga magazines are extremely cheaply made, generally the paper quality is less than a local newspaper's.
Comic books on the other hand have much better quality paper and have color inking, making them much more expensive.
If they tried doing this, you should expect a single magazine to cost at least 30 dollars

All of these. Everything's flooded with them since they are meaty, cheap and can be used as toilet paper later on. If you are talking about manga volumes as Naruto Vol01 for example, then it's strictly in special otaku stores or book shops.

Wasn't that the Mary-JJane comic with some japanese artists a decade ago?

You realise that the change in format would result in big changes in the comics as well, right?

>slice of life stuff
people don't like that stuff if you've seen all the complaints on steven universe's townie episodes. that goes double for superheroes.

Attached: Screenshot_2017-11-10-22-11-46.png (1280x800, 1.17M)

Yeah it was the end of the post retard

That's the thing. They should just print black and white first and then make the sagas into volumes, concluding the arc with proper inks, colours etc so that the writter and penciller / artist have proper and ample time to communicate and flesh out the story they want to make.

Then make them black and white or at least first start them from grayscale then color them if people want to buy the colored versions with the better paper quality which people would do

>"I've never been inside a comicshop or ever bothered to see what kind of comics come out each week"

In comparison, monthly manga magazines normally go for about ~800 yen and are as thick as a phone book

Bible Black and Elfen Lied are cute and fun

Spy X family

>Comic books on the other hand have much better quality paper and have color inking, making them much more expensive.

didn't people complain when marvel downgraded the paper stock for the ultimate line (to bring down costs)? most felt they're buying an inferior product and claimed they'll pay more just to keep the old paper stock. pic related.

Attached: 2583.jpg (460x276, 24K)

>extended fart noises
manga magazines might be bigger but they also have newspaper quality paper

But you do realize that most american and european comics that are targeted towards adults (i.e non geek culture oriented comics) are published as actual book with a beginning, a middle and an end nowadays? Only geek shit like superheroes and such is coming out in "floppies".

Unironically this. Chapter 4 just came out and it’s cute as fuck.

JLI

I used to buy 20 to $40 worth of comics all last year. I would love if they did manga magazine think because it will be cheaper. I'm exclusively read mangas now cuz I can afford them I could buy like three volumes of One Piece packaged into 1 Omnibus that has like five hundred pages for like $9 on Amazon when if I want to buy giant-sized X-Men versus Avengers the Scotty young one that's like $24 for what amounts to four issues

Objectively better than glossy shit.

what lcs even sells only comics anymore? every store I've been to lately is a pop culture toy and gaming place

Then make a collector's edition that has the glossy paper in color that's going to be like $30 and then make the affordable Edition that's like $8 and has newspaper quality

>There is literally no reason why this shouldn't be done,
When was the last time you picked up an Archie's Digest from the grocery store? How a 2000AD comic or a Darkhorse Presents from the LCS? The anthologies are out there but it seems like this is about the Big 2 not doing it as usual.

That's a gross exageration considering many manga, like Delicious In Dungeon, got for as much as over $15 per volume.
And you wouldn't consider the idea that there are only superhero comics if you had. You'd have seen all the horror comics or romance comics or scifi/noir/mideval/etc comics out there too.
And wanting a magazine that does a collection of stories just doesn't sell well. Just look at the comic Legends of Tomorrow that got any notice around 2016.

yeah, thats a big issue that comic books have. The people who already buy comic books expect a high quality in the material, and are accustomed to the price that comes with it.
However, for most people not familiar with comics, the price is rather steep. When you compare it to manga, its pretty much a rip off, price:content wise.

that's probably one of the problems. when people talk about manga being more economical than comics, they're talking about collected stuff (manga) vs monthly comic books. a more appropriate comparison would be if the comics were already collected as well.

All the LCS' in my town have sold primarily comics. The one I go to most often is mostly filled with new and back issues along with TPB's along with other comic-related toys and merchandise both current and vintage. Granted I live in a relatively small town, so it's probably different for bigger cities.

Cardcaptor Sakura is cute kino

Most mangas you can pick up are less than $9 if you go to Comixology but if you want to pick up a physical at the most cost you maybe 15. Comics range from 9 (image first graphic novels) but the average is like 15 or 20 for maybe less than 150 pages and then if you want to go above that is going to be like a 20 to $40 range

Saying how American Comics should adopt a practice isn't talking about comic somehow.

First Why?
Second Which companies would invest on comics?

I don't think there's any metric where comic books could be considered as cheap as manga.
Most running comics get anthology volumes that have less than half the content of a volume of manga, but for twice the price.
Of course the pages are bigger, made of better material and have color ink, but content-wise its a rather raw deal

Also, when you consider the success of manga vs comics books you have to look at their respective home-countries. In Japan, a volume of manga, with about 180 pages, goes for about ~600 yen (about 5.50 usd). In the US, a single comic book (about a dozen pages) costs about half of that.

It's related to comics but you should go back to Yea Forums for other reasons

Comics generally take longer to read though so it about evens out.

>Just because you choose to only read big two capeshit doesn't mean there aren't plenty of comics that aren't about superheroes

yeah although unfortunately a lot of that stuff is mediocre sci fi

>a lot of that stuff is mediocre sci fi
or YA slice-of-life crap

This is why I feel doing color comics is just a big meme. Sure, it can look nice, but the amount of time and effort you have to put in it just seems unnecessary when it's so much quicker to just do black and white.

to get normies into comics so the business can thrive and survive for more than 20 years I think you should be a group of Indie creators and if it becomes very successful then the big two will adopt

I'm genuinely surprised there is not a lot of fantasy Comics

Guess I'll just have to do it myself then.

Attached: 602.png (600x600, 371K)

I was going to do it but every time I think about a comic idea after like two or three days I come up with another one and start focusing on that one and then another two or three days I come up with another one and then focus on that one then after about a couple of weeks I Circle back to the first one how do I stop this problem

>but content-wise its a rather raw deal
Only if you look at page counts. Manga are usually very decompressed. $10 for a volume is fine but most manga storyarcs will run two or three volumes minimum. If you are reading One Piece or Hunter X Hunter or something it will be many times that for a story that could easily be simplified into just a few chapters. Whereas with a comic trade you will generally get a complete storyarc. When I was a teenager and didn't have much spending cash I loved manga but always went with comics because in the end manga just felt like more of a ripoff despite the low price point.

depends on the series
Most manga have complete arcs that take a chapter, or sometimes 2. Which means about 4-6 full arcs per volume.
Bigger series do have the problem where they stretch out arcs way too long because they know they can get away with it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shonen_Jump_(magazine)#Circulation_and_audience

>The initial issue of Shonen Jump sold over 300,000 copies, far exceeding Viz's expected 100,000 copies and making it one of the top comic titles in 2002. The first printing of 250,000 copies was sold out before the issue was released, and two additional printings were necessary to fully meet the demand.[36] After the initial launch, the magazine had an average monthly circulation of 190,000, but it quickly grew to 305,000 by its first anniversary. The August 2003 issue, which included a demo version of an upcoming Yu-Gi-Oh! PC game, was the top issue with 540,000 copies sold.[37] As of 2008, the magazine had a circulation of 215,000, with subscriptions constituting 54% of the copies distributed.[19]

Manga is integrated into daily life in Japan due to the cheap cost and convenience of acquiring them (sold basically everywhere). Additionally, they have far more people proportionally using mass transit compared to the US, which is where lots of people read manga.

US SJ was an expensive mail-only magazine and was a hit with the core manga audience. Without any effort to push it outside of that audience by making it more convenient, it never grew.

Comics used to be sold like this in the US before Diamond - the last holdover we see today are those Archie digests you see in grocery stores.

To change the comics scene in the U.S., we need to kill Diamond, bury the LCSs, and start putting up racks of cheap comic mags in grocery stores, convenience stores, transit stations, etc. before print dies entirely.

And grocers are considering no longer stocking the Archie books. Comics are a dying medium, time to face facts

No, I think they're going to evolve webcomics will be the norm we just need the one big modern webcomic hit that's has a successful patreon then all the industry people will go sort of Their Own patreons and webcomics

The other big problem facing comics is that its basically impossible for faces and new ideas to get into it.
Japan has a huge pool of indie doujinshi authors and artists and a lot of publishers scout these people out to make new manga, while manga that does poorly gets the axe.
In the comic book industry I pretty sure its just nepotism.

maybe 20 years ago but physical media is dead

probably the closest you'd get in the states is Heavy Metal Magazine
you only get an issue every 2-3 months but its great content
a year subscription (or 6 issues) is only like $25

everyone on Yea Forums should sub to Heavy Metal honestly

this is how it is done in Brazil: take 4 issues, and print in a mix, you wanted to read just one of them? too bad, you are going to pay all of them. And how does the publishers decides what is in and what isn't? take some popular title and put together with other that doesn't spark the same interest.

it is a dumb idea and nobody here likes it

Tsubasa Chronicles. It's related to xxHolic but I'm spoiling how.

It's really not a this way or that way approach. It's an all-of-the-above model that will keep comics going. I know if I were in charge if a publisher I'd publish in multiple formats:

100-200 page "phone books" on the cheapest newsprint available. Weekly or twice a month anthologies. Anything that's popular gets a premium collection on nicer paper. These would be offered on the direct market, but primarily sold via traditional newsstand distribution. Those outlets really don't value anything below a certain price point, that why even trashy tabloids and TV Guide are a few bucks a pop. So offer them the top tier characters in the magazine every issue, with shorter stories for less popular or new characters so they can develop a following. One part of the Japanese model I'd definitely follow is the fan votes. Readers vote which series they like the best. The series with the lowest votes gets replaced. Great system.

I'd keep the the existing glossy floppy format, but stop using tissue paper like Marvel does. Cardboard covers, thick matte or glossy stock. But ONLY for titles that won't sell on newsstands because of the content and key classic titles that have lasted decades. These would only be sold to LCS, as premium collectibles the way vinyl is still sold as a collectible to music buffs. That's why I stressed the quality format.

The same big comics that have lasted decades and key issues tying into movies or toys (Spidey, Batman, Action, MCU, Transformers etc) would also be offered on cheap newsprint in 99 cent editions for Dollar Stores. Have them available the first of every month when the poorfags go shopping. Publishers won't make as much per copy, but the increased circulation means they can charge more for advertisements, offsetting any other costs. And most importantly: it gets them in more hands!!!!

It's not rocket science, you just have to have a bit of sense and desperately love comics.

Same in the UK, it's annoying.

That's already the case now. What I'm referring to is the corporate industry of comics. Marvelnis already making the transition to media, DC will follow suit. Comics as an industry is dying

why would they?

>Censored
>American style rewrites and localized names.
>The same titles over and over

I actually like name rewrites it's easier to remember the names Detective Conan or case closed is the best example of this I know all their main characters names while in my hero Academia I don't even know any of them

So? Nothing in like 20 years has necessitated glossy paper. It's jacked the price up, made older coloring impossible and computer coloring has always looked worse.

>watching anime
Read manga. If you want cute fluff then read Saotome Senshuu and Sono Bisque Doll. Asebi and Adventurers of Sky World is great Y2K era adventure stuff. RYOKO is the best shonen series around and is basically post-apocalyptic Toriko.

>>Millions of comics sold, wildly popular!
>>Kid comics eliminated.
>>Romance comics eliminated.
>>Horror comics eliminated.
>>Double down on superheroes!
>>Sales crash, comics market dwindles.
>>HOW CAN THIS BE????
>>Japanese comics spread because they have kid, romance, and horror offerings.
>>WAHHHHHHH WHY U READ ANIMU MANGOES WAHHHHH WAHHHHH

>color means more expressive
I hate you.

He said expensive not expressive. Learn to read dumbass

too little too late, most of america doesn't even have japan's transportation culture so it wouldn't work

The only manga that sells in the west is the Jap equivalent of capeshit. That means western capeshit has largely stopped appealing to newer generations.

>also comics should stop being about super heros exclusively.
>implying they currently are

Attached: F505ADD2-B4D4-4B3F-945A-317B054DCE37.jpg (676x777, 211K)

My mistake but I've seen people on here argue just that plenty of times too desu

Webcomic sites like line webtoon are the closest thing the west has to manga in terms of diversity of genres. Not much hope for it in print

Set yourself a time limit.
Get as much story working done and down in a week.

>100-200 page "phone books" on the cheapest newsprint available
That shit would be cheap af

Attached: 20190506_133131.jpg (720x272, 57K)

>US SJ was an expensive mail-only magazine
This isn't really true, I was seeing it in gas stations as late as the early 10s

Working!!

who's the big qt on the page?

You could just buy the 'not capeshit' magazine then

Flip Flappers