Disney Parks thread

What the fuck were they thinking with this recent Tomorrowland overhaul? It looks awful. Anyway, Disney parks thread.

Attached: tomorrowland-repainting-04302019-5-1024x682.jpg (1024x682, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/OutsidEarsDLP/status/1125076149560803329
wdwnt.com/2019/05/3-hour-daily-extra-extra-magic-hours-coming-to-star-wars-galaxys-edge-at-walt-disney-world/
youtube.com/watch?v=ApSzmzhflMA
duplexide.tumblr.com/post/184646530663/duplexide-genuine-raw-3d-binaural-audio-from
slashfilm.com/new-hollywood-studios-logo/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All that chrome and silver just painted white. Why live?

Attached: tomorrowland-repainting-04302019-6-1024x682.jpg (1024x682, 80K)

Attached: tomorrowland-repainting-04302019-21-1024x682.jpg (1024x682, 134K)

What the fuck is this trash
Honestly have they ever known what the fuck to do with Tomorrowland? It feels like the one land that gets outdated after awhile and starts to feel tacky

90s Tomorrowland was great. You had the timekeeper and alien encounter along with the older attractions. It felt coherent. Now it's a mishmash of unrelated IPs and this new tacky facelift.

this thread will get no replies because the OP image is so bland

Hmm
my guess is they're going for a Jetsons look

Has anyone seen the leaked plan for the Spider-Man ride for Walt Disney Studios Paris and Disney's California Adventure? It looks terrible. It's just Toy Story Midway Mania redone.

twitter.com/OutsidEarsDLP/status/1125076149560803329

Attached: spidey.jpg (1024x504, 95K)

These are the leaked blueprints. This thing is going to pale in comparison to the Islands of Adventure Spider-mMan ride that opened 20 years ago.

Attached: spidey1.jpg (1200x857, 163K)

Which tomorrowland is this? Is this at Land so they can try to justify having Tomorrowland and Star Wars in the same park?

This is in Disney World, where they're starting to move away from that silver, gold, and neon 90's Tomorrowland to make Tron fit in more when it opens in 2021.

didn't they announce a pokemon attachment to Universal? Did anything come out of that?

Nothing announced yet. There's plenty of rumors, where it replaces either Men in Black or the Kidzone in Orlando.

Does not compute. Tron is black and neon. Mostly.

>chance to get HP land
>pitch Midway Mania
>developing Spidey ride
>pitch Midway Mania
Please, WDI, I’m begging you, it’s not even the best shooting ride in Orlando. Why do you keep copying it but even worse?

The outside of the ride they're bulding is white and light blue though, and changes colors at night.

Huh. Well, those buildings are ugly regardless.

Seriously this looks like the painting job you'd find in Miami slums

How would you fix Tomorrowland post-Galaxy's Edge? I'm mostly asking about DLand, but responses for DW are welcome as well.

Some additional guiding questions:
>Would you keep the Tomorrowland theme or scrap it entirely for something new?
>Is there still a need for a space themed Tomorrowland when Galaxy's Edge exists?
>What would you do with Launch Bay?
>Keep Star Tours, Buzz Light Year's Astro Blaster's, and the Toy Story themeing of Pizza Port or move them to their respective lands? If so, would you reskin or renovate the spaces left behind?

Attached: you are now entering the land of tomorrow.jpg (500x375, 198K)

And yet they still have the fucking speedway when Tron was a great excuse to get rid of it. Loud gas powered go karts never fit the theme.

Nintendo World is coming to Japan in 2020. So it won't be before that, I guess.
You know what would be cool? Pokemon Snap, the Ride. It would have to be in VR though, probably.

The rumours heavily suggested midway mania, it's disappointing to see though. Such a half-assed ride.

Here's hoping the Pym Labs or Doctor Strange attraction is better(one's a show, ones a ride)

ITT shilling and shilling accessories

Attached: Disney.jpg (1600x1065, 859K)

Pokemon and Zelda are phase 2, waiting to gauge the success of Mario Kart and Donkey Kong.

>queue section after the pre-show so they can bullshit about the queue times

Too many Disney rides do this I'ts a pain when queue times are out by half an hour.

I love watching WDW just self destruct

Pastel paints last longer and are cheaper

you guys looking forward to going to WDW in septembre and queuing up at Galaxy's edge at 5 AM bercause the park opens at 6?
wdwnt.com/2019/05/3-hour-daily-extra-extra-magic-hours-coming-to-star-wars-galaxys-edge-at-walt-disney-world/

because I am

Gonna be In Orlando come June spending someone else's money. Only gonna be 5 days though. How's the night life around the parks?

CyberpunkLand. Decorate the place like Blade Runner, come up with some sort of "Pirates of The Kwolon Walled City" slow ride, and make a movie out of the property somewhere down the line.

This is probably like the 8th time you posted this so why does people talking about theme parks including independent ones piss you off so bad when there’s literal DC/Marvel company war shitting up this board

I want them to just commit and stick with the retro futurism theme. Maybe it doesn't work for a "Tomorrow" land anymore, but I love that aesthetic.

Soul vs soulless

Attached: C5F207F1-2025-4E75-99F7-9AED9603BE39.jpg (2000x832, 169K)

And it's not like the first one even had a bucket of soul to begin with

It gets people to reply with off-topic stuff, giving him grounds to purge the thread on the grounds of off-topic discussion. (Not the theme park stuff; the replies telling him to stfu and everyone else taking the bait)

MAXIMUM SOUL

Attached: untitled.png (500x375, 372K)

You know, did Disney ever really do a whole lot with the MGM theming? I don't remember any James Bond shows or anything

This. Only true patricians still call it MGM.

Bond was probably never a consideration since even though MGM owned the rights to the movies, anything involving Bond has to be approved through the Fleming Estate and they're notoriously strict.

And MGM had weird constraints that they put on their licensing for the Disney park, too. Like Disney was allowed to use their Wizard of Oz for the Great Movie Ride, but only 3 minutes of music; Disney would have to pay an extra licensing fee for every additional 3 minutes of music from the movie that they'd want to use. So the Wizard of Oz section of the ride got cut down by 2/3 to save on licensing fees. And MGM was pissed at Disney and threatened to sue them at one point because they felt Disney was using their trademarks to promote their own company and not just the park or some such bullshit. Hence why the partnership, at least in branding, didn't last very long, and Disney's currently evicting any outside licenses from Hollywood Studios so the park can be 100% Disney IPs.

Paramount Great America had a bond ride (with the former Q in it). It was a simulator where you were in these weird body seat things.

So... what are the chances of them making the reservation system permanent or more widespread after Star Wars opens? They already trialed it at Midway Mania

Seems to me it would just highlight that the park is terrible value for money at peak times with each ride having an effective price of ~$20.

They need to build more capacity soaking attractions instead of fucking over people.

>It looks awful
Well, now it looks more like the future.

>Like Disney was allowed to use their Wizard of Oz for the Great Movie Ride, but only 3 minutes of music; Disney would have to pay an extra licensing fee for every additional 3 minutes of music from the movie that they'd want to use.

>Disney got out-Jewed by MGM

I admit it, I'm impressed.

jesus christ what are they doing

what the fuck? why? this shit looks so fucking dull

The Fantasia scene in GMR was a last minute thing because they wanted to put you in the tornado to take you to Oz. That's why it was a screen on a weird non-Fantasia texture.

Then the original plan for the ending was gonna have the Great and Powerful Oz show up, only to be revealed to be the hijacker behind the curtain, after which you'd get all the animatronics from earlier in the ride and more showing up to take a bow.

Other fun trivia: They wanted Ghostbusters and Young Frankenstein in the ride, but in the case of Ghostbusters, Bill Murray ended up shutting the deal down because he didn't want an animatronic. Don't know what happened to Young Frankenstein, but Disney did still try to work with Mel Brooks on another attraction, which eventually gave us Tower of Terror.

Fuck Bill Murray.
Anyway, a RIP to GMR. Honestly my favorite ride at WDW.

Ah, more friendly to the tastes of conventioneers I see...

Did you all get your Galaxy's Edge reservations?
>mfw I got two reservations for opening day, and one is at 8am

Attached: 1316839860781.jpg (195x195, 23K)

Going to be going start of December which is one of the quietest times of the year.

Hoping for

Really? You think the weeks between Thanksgiving & Christmas are quiet? Those weeks have gone from a pleasant secret to being the hottest time to catch all the Holiday celebrations.

It's still one of the best times to go, everyone goes back to work after Thanksgiving and most other "there's a big event, Disney is quiet" periods only last a few days.

A week after New Years is probably still ultra quiet but that's an awards time to book holiday off due to most workplaces operating Jan to Jan holiday years.

Word on the campfire is that it'll switch over to a 'first-come, first-served' thing after the first month. Maybe shit will change once it opens in WDW.

WDW is first come, first serve, but the first three days will have the park open at 6 AM and after that they'll offer Extra Magic Hours daily for hotel guests with that same opening time for the rest of the year.

>Disney did still try to work with Mel Brooks on another attraction, which eventually gave us Tower of Terror.
Im super curious, how did this come about?

Tower of Terror started as "Hotel Mel", a dark ride where you get involved in trying to solve a murder mystery on the set of a new Mel Brooks horror comedy, with the ride being narrated by Brooks. However, the idea ran into story problems and Disney ended up wanting to go more in the horror direction, so they ended up going with Twilight Zone as a framing device.

Also, during both the Mel Brooks and Twilight Zone development phases, Eisner kept wanting to try making the ride double as a functional hotel even though it made no operational or practical sense.

I still find it amazing that the Tower of Terror uses a fairly standard Elevator mechanism from a regular elevator manufacturer (Otis Elevator Company), it just has a much higher powered motor for the cable.

How the hell do you approach one to ask them to make an elevator designed to plummet.

Guessing it doesn't actually fall at the speed of gravity otherwise the safety mechanisms wouldn't work.

>guessing it doesn't actually fall at the speed of gravity
It actually falls faster than that. Think of it like you have something in-between your hands as you shake your arms up and down, and that's pretty much how the ride works.

I'm sure they'll keep doing it for a few weeks/a month for brand new lands (or if they do huge renovations to a land), but there's no way they'll keep reservations permanently for anything.

Opening day with 8am time slot and one a few weeks later with an 8pm time slot.

This is super cool, thanks for the run down user.

Got in too late to get opening day, but was still able to get one for opening Saturday. So at least I get to see how bad things get run down after the first day.

>Could have made one of those swing coasters to simulate the feeling of being Spider-Man
>Screens and shooting galleries once again
>Meanwhile Universal is making themed rollercoasters and dark rides with animatronics
Have the tables turned?

Secret life of Pets looks to be mostly screens sadly.

One of those powered inverted coasters like the How to Train your Dragon ride would be amazing for Spider-man

Retro futuristic with a modern edge. Something like Tomorrowland 2055. Lots of neon and a cohesive art direction for the outside. The rides are whatever but it shouldn't look like the land of misfit IP when you're walking around it.
Big emphasis on aliens and technology, as opposed to Star Wars' more science-fantasy approach.

Cringe and Banksypilled

This is like the most dismal logo I think I've ever seen for something like this.

Just clip art posted inside the letters. No balance, no composition, just "things you know".

>Also, during both the Mel Brooks and Twilight Zone development phases, Eisner kept wanting to try making the ride double as a functional hotel even though it made no operational or practical sense.

it makes some sense, the tower of terror is supposed to be in a hotel,
so why not make it an actual hotel and not just a facsimile (with a normal "non horror" elevator in it as well.

similarly why not make things "full scale" and not "hollywood scale", make a full-size castle, put more restaraunts and shit in it

youtube.com/watch?v=ApSzmzhflMA

Attached: 7D_MineTrain_riders3.jpg (3000x1997, 2.15M)

And with your description the artist perfectly captured the modern state of Disney in the logo

Posting from kidani village atm

God I hope that’s fake

Give us a room tour

Going to Disneyworld for the first time tomorrow. Any advice? Been to Disneyland a lot so I kinda know what to expect.

Does anyone have that post about the Contemporary resort's jerkoff bathroom? I think it's been posted on Yea Forums a few times.
What park are you heading to, user?

Gonna try to do Magic Kingdom, then Epcot. I kinda want to do everything but I only have 1 day (thus 12 hours), so that’s highly unrealistic.

Got any FastPasses already?

Not yet. Any advice on how to go about that?

>Does anyone have that post about the Contemporary resort's jerkoff bathroom?
What is this about?

SOUL vs. SOULLESS

Disney FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

>Nice weather is here
>College is letting out
>Amusement parks are open up here
Feels good man

Attached: asdfsad.png (1920x1080, 2.58M)

Some Yea Forums poster typed up paragraphs about this bathroom stall in the Contemporary where he jerks off to creepshots he took at the park. He apparently lives in the Florida area, so he sleeps in his car and then showers in the Contemporary sink.

Wow thats something alright, surprised he hasn't been caught yet.

Isn't disney not allowed to do certain rides for the marvel brands? I think this may just be them doing their best with what rights they have to use marvel characters in America.

They can't do anything marvel east of the mississippi, this is at Land where they can do whatever.

Possibly old news but possibly interesting to someone here. I uploaded some high quality binaural audio I found from the preliminary version of "Alien Encounter". Listening to it with head phones really gives you a sense of what the ride was like.

duplexide.tumblr.com/post/184646530663/duplexide-genuine-raw-3d-binaural-audio-from

And here's an updated pic of my myriad of AE junk. 5 shirts, 2 shot glasses and a pin. Hoping to get more soon.

Attached: AE HORDE.png (1416x801, 2.44M)

With Iger leaving will the parks stop pushing so many IP-based attractions and focus more on original shit again?

I love that shirt in center bottom, nice collection dude.

lolno

Considering Chapek is one of the top contendors for his successor, no. The only reason we got original things like Splash Mountain or Expedition Everest was that Eisner was a creative CEO. Iger is a businessman, not a creative. He is picking his successor, and either Chapek will remain in charge of the parks or become the new CEO.

How successful have the parks been with the current direction, though? I have to imagine that Avatar land, at the very least, was a flop.

Parks aren't like movies. Even baffling nonsense attractions get tons of foot traffic

I'm so fucking glad I was a kid in the 90s.

>(one's a show, ones a ride)
fuck, my deep undying love for Hank Pym really makes me hope it's the ride but truth be told a Dr. Strange ride has the chance to be fucking sick and it's the one thing I was hoping for since they announced the plans for a Marvel Area

Attached: 22a177fe4c3132f8edfd07cba9849a53.png (170x282, 22K)

slashfilm.com/new-hollywood-studios-logo/

jesus I was hoping it was fake too

Great answers, thank you for responding. I don't have a certain lean other than something needs to be done to prevent the over saturation of space-centric exploration in the park. A cyberpunk or even steampunk themed land would be interesting to see.

Alternatively, I think it'd be a great idea for tomorrowland to race ahead of the times with something like 's idea of 2055. Tommorwland will always have a place so long as it actually represents the world of tomorrow. With the way society is leaning, I think it'd be cool to focus on technology, the way it has integrated into our world, and how it will continue to allow us to reach new heights. I'd imagine Tron would be a good fit in that department. And I definitely agree, it's heinous how many IPs are slapped around in TL

Don't be deceived, DW is a whole different beast. The weather and expansive land will get you. We've been spoiled in California to be able to walk 5 minutes from park to park.

Focus on Magic Kingdom for your thrills and go to eat and relax in Epcot. Definitely utilize fast passes by going from kiosk to kiosk every two hours or shill out for a max pass on the app.

If you want more tips, check out DFB guide on youtube. They've got a video for everything you could possibly want to know about

>days where the park is going to open at 6 AM
can't wait

Attached: 1555088523526.jpg (286x240, 53K)

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it. If I'm on fucking vacation, I ain't getting up at 6am for jack shit; I wish the parks just stayed open later.

Attached: 1436026889398.jpg (476x260, 45K)

The fuck? I thought they were patenting a new ride system for this shit

Still pissed we never got 2055, that nightly alien parade would have been awesome

I think the Doctor Strange show is just gonna be a copy/paste of the one on the Cruise Line.

>post yfw the "patented new technology" is a wrist-mounted web shooter rather than the standard laser gun design and that's it

>Imagineers come up with amazing concepts like Tomorrowland 2055 and Beastly Kingdome
>Get to the point that they're ready to pull the trigger and start construction
>Like, they've announced them to the public already, that's how far along they are
>Euro Disney tanks, concepts get put on hold indefinitely
>Years pass
>Disney is literally more profitable than it's ever been, keeps cranking out hits, theme parks are reaching capacity to the point that it's actually a problem
>They need new attractions and spaces
>Use exactly zero of these concepts they've had mapped out and ready for the past 30 years
>Tomorrowland gets painted Talahassee motor lodge pastel and that's literally it until the Tron Coaster is finished
It don't add up

they are in the week I'm going, I'm getting hyped for 18 hour park days, if I'm going to kill myself, this is the best way to do it

Attached: 1b9.jpg (200x224, 7K)

>Talahassee motor lodge pastel
Accurate.
I will never get why they don't revisit old concepts, I get that some of them haven't aged well but I want that fucking unicorn maze/alien show/Westcot

Best of luck to you then dude, it does sound like a hell of a way to go.
>user dies quietly of a heart attack from not sleeping on one of the dark rides
>cast members don't realize he's dead at first and his body goes around the ride again a few times
>user becomes a ghost in that ride

>I get to haunt my favorite place in the world for eternity
sounds pretty sweet

I hear the haunted mansion's looking for another happy haunt...

Is it really shilling when people basically mostly shit on the decisions and occasionally share horror stories? not like we ever gonna get "/ap/ - Amusement Parks and Thrill Rides"

I mean, i think the last one of these threads i saw was filled with mockery about the Skyliner gondola design.

I thought this was them still painting the damn hing. Damn damn.

I'm leaving for a trip with just my gf during the week of the 19th. First time going without family and we're so excited, but we have to finish the semester first of course. Give me strength to make it through finals this week.

>tfw leaving for Disney World tomorrow
I'm so excited bros, I am a jaded fuck who doesn't get excited for almost anything but everytime I think about it I giggle like a little girl.
I havent been since I was like 6, what food is absolutely must-try besides dole whip?

Attached: thatsmyfetish.gif (222x245, 1.16M)