STX Wanted ‘Uglydolls’ To Be A Franchise. Instead They Got A Flop

cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/stx-wanted-uglydolls-to-be-a-franchise-instead-they-got-a-flop-173711.html

Attached: uglydolls_boxoffice-1280x600.jpg (1280x600, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eVGbgBy_yo4
youtube.com/watch?v=n7HtNsJdMDw
youtube.com/watch?v=lUXxCjftz80
youtube.com/watch?v=SqrxtZQG73k
deadline.com/2019/05/uglydolls-bombs-at-box-office-stx-1202607570/
youtube.com/watch?v=jEjUAnPc2VA
youtube.com/watch?v=LSSGHvzMY60
youtube.com/watch?v=tAA_yWX8ycQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Serves them right.

Almost everything STX has made flopped.

The only good thing they released was Edge of Seventeen

The trailers look so fucking generic. Everything is a Lego movie clone

When I saw the trailer I thought "someone's laundering some money"

The movie came out already?

Why are they uglydolls? They honestly look way too cute to be ugly.

Honestly it’s a good thing these animation films are dropping as a whole this year. It’s showing audiences aren’t buying as generic of cgi shit as they were and branded film shit. We really need Disney to have something flop to really shift gears, but hopefully it starts leading companies to get their shit together

Attached: cao cao.gif (320x200, 1.9M)

What moron thought it was a good idea to release this against Avengers? And what moron thought it was a good idea to make an Uglydolls movie in 2019?

yea. two days ago.

I never even saw a commercial for this.

just looking at the trailers gave me the impression that practically nothing from the uglydoll uglyguide books was considered for the movie, and that was what I liked most about uglydolls

Even beyond that though there's no denying that the movie just looked pretty generic

Because they also want them to be marketable and sell toys at the same time. Classic case of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Yeah and WB wanted a Pokemon cinematic universe these things happen all the time

I saw it as a trailer during Into the Spider-Verse and assumed it was a fake.

Attached: IMG_20190502_220643.png (1360x616, 33K)

This entire movie looked like one of those test films you'd see on SFX youtube channels.

>What moron thought it was a good idea to release this against Avengers?
Gonna be saying this a lot, at least until July

What’s bizarre though is that we’re living in a time where even animated films that completely bomb can get sequels and continuation through both direct to dvd/streaming films and tv series. It as high effort but its a continuing trend

It still made more money than that flop Shazam!

As if that's hard to do

>go to see Avengers
>all screenings are sold out
>see "Uglydolls" is playing
>recognize the brand
>decide to see that instead
That's how the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies all made so much money. They were all released against huge blockbusters.

>Company war fag going to unrelated threads and trying to shut up the cartoon side now
End your life

It looked like a toy commercial

>When I saw the trailer I thought "someone's laundering some money"
Alibaba's film studio partially funded the film so that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

>opens movie near endgame

It’s truly pathetic how low the American Animation Industry™ has fallen. Nothing but soulless corporate products meant to sell toys and Happy Meals.

Attached: 65C45A44-2ACC-4F4A-A838-60B194B4A54A.jpg (750x1118, 721K)

wow, this year looks really grim
even lego 2 and missing link were pretty disappointing

If they actually wanted a franchise, why did they release it on the second weekend of fucking Endgame,

God, everything in that looks awful

Nah. I'll keep doing it. You spammed your trash for months and now its my turn to rub your face in the trash.

Yeah that's going to happen for a while

Grow up and have sex incel

>Your spam
If you can tell me which western animation is being spammed and company war’d I’ll be appreciative to understand what the fuck you’re even talking about

What kinda stuff was in the books?

Oh good, I think I'm going to be sick

Same. I’ve always been a massive fan of Uglydolls, and the Uglyguides were my favorite and had so much humor and creativity in them. I’m really sad to see (based on the trailers) that almost none of that made it into the movie.

I remember talk about this movie’s development in the early 2010’s, and it was clear it was stuck in development limbo for several years. I’m disappointed that it ended up being a shameless attempt at a corporate cash-grab. There was a lot of potential for so much more.

Attached: 3E028277-A196-4D36-ADFC-14BE99FA9693.jpg (1024x776, 184K)

>ITS NOT FAIR WE DID EVERYTHING THAT WOULD BE CONSIDERED RIGHT 10 YEARS AGO!
were they also apart of the decisions to make Sonic hyper realistic like those Chipmunks and Smurf movies?

>actual hat from the chef we fired

hey man thats actually really mean, not just internet mean

Buzzwords and insults and no substance because you can’t defend yourself

Christ, Amid, is it really so hard to proofread your articles? It's not even a typo, you're missing an entire half of a sentence.

Attached: 5464564.png (856x750, 101K)

Pffft, keep dreaming. This was gonna be seen as nothing but a Trolls clone.

I've never even seen a trailer for this shit. I've seen a shit ton of billboards and taxi ads.

>Ugly Dolls
>$8,510,000
>Shazam
>$355,593,790
?

I think I saw maybe three or four different ads for this before I saw one that established that the characters that look like kids are also supposed to be some kind of doll? It’s kind of confusing.

The kids are like "perfect" dolls made for kids to play with while the Uglydolls are considered big weirdo idiots because they aren't "perfect." Cue typical empowerment shit saying you don't have be perfect to still be good.

It's not like canda, mexico, or any country in europe or south america is doing better.

I thought both of those were pretty solid. Lego Movie 2 wasn't as good as the first one but was a good sequel. Missing Link was a good comedy, though I do want Laika to just keep doing darker, more mature stories.

Japan isn’t doing better either with their PowerPoint slideshows

I wasn't even talking about japan. I was talking about western countries only and it's not like they're doing any better.

This country is doing pretty good.

Attached: FB93CA72-B5CB-4EEA-A9AA-647857D65CE4.jpg (2048x1970, 1.24M)

>playmobile
WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?

Your Name, Penguin Highway, DragonBall Super: Broly. Those all had pretty sweet animation.

I think the part I’m not getting is what’s up with the real life children who are apparently purchasing these dolls? Do they know the dolls are sapient? Does it work with Toy Story rules? And are the dolls basically slaves?

I know Promare, Penguin Highway, and Weathering With You. What are the others?

I hope Promare will be a good time.

Ah you’re right in that, just always feel these go into the “anime is bettah” stuff, my bad
PowerPoint slideshows where you can distinguish characters from any other show/film don’t count

Imagine being so fucking dumb that you're a fan of animation and don't understand that Japan BTFO of everywhere else except maybe France. And France is severely lacking in quantity.

>PowerPoint slideshows where you can distinguish characters from any other show/film don’t count

Examples that prove me wrong don't count, user! Stop challenging my shitty opinion!

why does japan loves blue so much?

People are so obsessed with franchises...

No fucking shit it was gonna flop. It came out the same fucking day as Endgame. What were they expecting?

Children of the Sea
youtube.com/watch?v=eVGbgBy_yo4
Ride Your Wave
youtube.com/watch?v=n7HtNsJdMDw
Birthday Wonderland
youtube.com/watch?v=lUXxCjftz80

>Examples that prove me wrong
All of these are PowerPoint slideshows so you’re not proving anything wrong. Anime films are a joke to what the West has produced

I can’t believe the Ugly Dolls Cinematic Universe is fucking dead

So is Penguin Highway a romance?

It's a child's coming of age story overall.

Embarassing in a board about animation. You have less to do there than a leftist on Yea Forums

No, the main character is a kid and the chick that summons penguins is an adult. Yeah, the chick can summon penguins from random objects. Honestly it feels like an oldschool Ghibli movie, I highly recommend.

>mfw I realized I fell for shitty bait

Attached: 1551808171884.png (445x361, 77K)

The fuck is an Uglydoll?

jesus fucking christ what a damned year

A toyline from the early 00's

DAMN! Japan’s gonna beat us at the Annie’s and Oscars next year. Serves us right.

I don't know why they thought this would be successful. It was a vaguely successful IP, but not enough time has passed for the nostalgia cycle nor does was the IP THAT popular either. This is no pokemon. Releasing this a week before Detective Pikachu was such a massive mistake.

>It came out the same fucking day as Endgame.
I saw the trailer for UD and no matter when it released it was going to underperform. Incredibly bland story, forgettable character designs and Pitbull in the cast.

Even Lilly can see why this movie failed

How timely.

But yeah, they're screwed with Pikachu out. That might even make Avengers drop to #2.

>Board about animation
Non-Japanese animation
>Bait
I mean every single damn time someone makes a thread about anime here it’s about DBZ, Naruto or MHA. How am I supposed to think anime is amazing when this is what you guys pick out as the best works to get excited about

I unfortunately saw Uglydolls a few days ago. Granted, I saw it high off my ass, but I still hated it. Though, the weird designs and all the bright colors threw me off.

Check out Serial Experiments Lain. it's rather unique when it comes to anime. The plot is pretty convoluted, though.

just watch ghibli movies. That's as good as it gets. My japanese professor keeps showing us these trailers and they are just generic schlock.

It took nothing i loved from the books some im ok with this
Hardcore Henry was kino

At least keep your Yea Forums trashposting in other Yea Forums trash threads user. Do you really have to be a cancer to the entire board?

Attached: FUCK OFF.gif (500x459, 1.89M)

Hardcore Henry is immaculate, you have good taste user

Attached: 86d.jpg (623x552, 50K)

I love shows like SEL that make daylight hours seem like an oppressive hell.

>No, the main character is a kid and the chick that summons penguins is an adult
So?

> But simply having all the right ingredients doesn’t guarantee a hit; a film also has to have a reason to exist.

Why? Wanting to make it isn't reason enough?

You’re thinking of /ss/ aren’t you?

Did the robot dog live?

is this better or worse than Wonder Park?

Attached: wir-glitch.gif (500x452, 833K)

I will thoroughly enjoy all of these, but: most nips still can't do CG on very large scale projects.

That doesn't work anymore in a world where everyone buys their tickets in advance since they get to pick their seats.

Loli/Shota shit wouldnt be in a mainstream anime film.

Yes, the robot dog lives.

>Ugly Dolls
>They look very appealing
Dropped

Kinda looking forward the spy one
Though it'll probably be shit, it's worth a try.

>implying that current Oscar voters will give Japan their time ever again

Attached: v5.png (740x278, 47K)

>Want to start a franchise
>Release it in direct competition with potentially the highest grossing movie of all time
Endgame is going to hurt Detective Pikachu in it's third weekend. What the fuck were STX thinking?

>at least until July
Nah it's huge but it's dropping within regular Marvel range

That happens when your shitty generic movie has to deal with FUCKING ENDGAME AND DETECTIVE PIKACHU in the same weekend

Attached: 1556852259657.gif (600x549, 694K)

Alvin and the Chipmunks is a known IP so it cold pull that off. Ugly Dolls is nothing

Hey Carol, Pepper called, she says you should stop molesting Peter

DP is next weekend. But yeah they fucked up. It's going to be a bigger flop than Hellboy

These article use templates and they for got to fill out that part

Not to mention Us is going to premiere next week in my country (tacoland)
What a Ugly Flop

Well, there’s a new Emperor, and it’s also the year of the Tokyo Olympics. I’m pretty sure America will give Japan an Oscar as a sort of gift.

>intended to sell toys
>sequel
>sequel
>"remake"
>intended to sell toys (and also obviously was only made because of Lego Movie)
>another HILARIOUS animal espionage movie
>sequel
>sequel
>sequel
Remember when we used to get movies like Tarzan, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, or - hell - the ORIGINAL Lion King and Aladdin? Holy fuck, Disney owns basically half of the intellectual properties on the planet and yet all they can come up with are CGI versions of shit they made in the 90's.

Attached: 1400200261657.jpg (360x240, 16K)

>Remember when we used to get movies like Tarzan, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, or - hell - the ORIGINAL Lion King and Aladdin?
All adaptations

This entire year so far have been fucking awful for films in general. I've been seeing commercials for new movies and thinking "My god, is January gonna end?"

What Disney movies are actually original ideas?

Adaptations are neither sequels nor remakes.

Ouch!

They're as creatively bankrupt

>>"remake"
Worse, a Live Action Remake

Zootopia?

Attached: G3AOwoP.png (280x272, 3K)

Not true. If you look at the history of something like the original Robin Hood stories, you'll find they originate in folk heroes that predate 'England' entirely. Oral history 'created' the stories over several hundred years, and when someone wrote it down it was finally finalized as 'Robin Hood'. That's what a good adaptation can be, taking something that existed prior and doing it again - but this time differently enough to be something new and unlike what came before.

But what is undeniable cancer is when there's nothing but sequels and shot-for-shot remakes. Disney wants to do another movie LIKE the Lion King? That's fine. But just doing the Lion King again, this time with modern special effects that will never live up to the original's still amazing traditional animation? What's the point? What's being added? What is new or worth the retelling? Hell, if they based it on the Broadway play I'd be much happier about it, because that's in and of itself an example of an interesting adaptation.

Lilo and Stitch, Fantasia, Aristocats (I think), Emperor’s New Groove, a bunch of really forgettable movies from the early 2000s like Home on the Range and Bolt...

There’s been a couple, but most of them weren’t very good.

Attached: B49E24C4-BD9B-4727-BAD9-68780263EDD3.png (1010x912, 1.63M)

>uglydolls
>not ugly at all
what did they mean by this?

>cashgrab flop
>sequel
>sequel to a franchise that should have ended a movie ago
>remake
>lego knockoff
>what
>sequel to mobile game movie
>sequel to shit
>sequel to even bigger shit
Western animation is dead

Attached: 1370344099300.jpg (93x134, 4K)

Emperor's New Groove is based off of Emperor's New Clothes.

Blue is objectively the best color. Can't go wrong with it

in name only

>country notorious for its ruthless whale hunting
>movie about whales + marine life
What did they mean by this

i dont understand this though, who thinks "hey avengers is sold out, lets see this movie i likely have no connection to instead of waiting for another showing"

Attached: infinite questioning .png (613x563, 624K)

Because it's families with small children. You want to wait around for hours with kids?

Nothing can be worse than wonder park

>Sponge Out of The Water
>shit
If you just wanted to tell us that youre a fag, just tell us, jeez

>cgi movie based on no established media flops
whoa really

>Wonder Park
Literally what

>Parroting old stereotypes
I thought Yea Forums was the least racist board.

how long are you, personally, going to keep letting this happen Yea Forums?

>visual medium
>ugly

WHY DID IT FLOP?

>implying awards shows won't give it to Toy Story 4 or Frozen 2

>Uglydolls
Isn't that a Korean thing?
I remember specifically how its inception was basically like a romantic drama.

What if TS4 and Frozen 2 underwhelm?

There will always be at least a small guaranteed audience for these because parents need an excuse to get out of the house and entertain their kids for awhile instead of giving them an ipad for the entire day.

Imagine being so incompetent that you take your family to the biggest movie of the decade, can't get in because SURPRISE it's sold out, and then settling for Uglydolls.

Haw haw! Endgame blowing everything out of the water! How can little kids even cope?!

Attached: 1381127128478.png (800x1200, 71K)

I find it insulting that The Lego Movie 2 is being compared here because Lego Movie 2 is much better than UglyDolls could ever hope to be.

I also doubt UglyDolls will come close to Lego Movie 2's box office (despite the fact that it did underperform)

Disney adaptation always used the source material as a jumping off point to create something more heartwarming that the whole family could enjoy. They took an idea from another medium and brought it into film with their own spin on it. There’s no reason to relate that to resting on your laurels, and releasing a sequel or remake to a movie you already made. They’re way lazier now than they ever were during their golden age.

Japan doesn't give a fuck about accolades from foreigners. They just want your money and free Yea Forums publicity.

>Nothing but soulless corporate products meant to sell toys and Happy Meals.
So different from how things used to be, right?

What the hell past are you people even being nostalgic for? Did you even experience it in the first place? The only thing different now is that there are more animated movies coming out than before. Or maybe you just want to go back to the days when all we would be getting this year is Frozen 2.

Attached: 1556859561597.png (400x400, 7K)

The comparison is made only because of their low money potential. These reviewer types judge quality only by how much money a thing makes. Doesn't matter if one is a labor of love and another a quick cash grab.

>Japan doesn't give a fuck about accolades from foreigners.
Do you always pull shit out of your ass or is this just a thing you save for Yea Forums?

its a movie based on a toyline, not the other way around

Of the few westerners who even watch anime, even fewer watch it through entirely legal means. The western market is mostly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

This is cute as fuck. I could totally see this making for a fun movie.

>The western market is mostly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
Even if they've never heard of the "Zenbei ga naita" tagline used for movie promotions, most complete non-weebs have at least heard of the "Cool Japan" strategy.
Japan cares about what the west thinks, and what we think about them. And of course any filmmaker -- regardless of their country of origin -- cares about being acknowledged or making it big in Hollywood, or winning their biggest prize.

The brainless suit drones are one of my favorite things about the books.

Whelp. Toy Story's winning BAF.

That's one of my favorites but after that all anime started to look the same to me.

Is that why their game companies never adjust or design for foreign markets, even if foreigners are loud about something they hate? They only care if the haters are from grorious nipland.

Dude they didnt use icebat and instead used some new cuter oc.
Why the hell wouldnt you use what is arguably the mascot of the franchise?

Nobody wants to make high effort animated movies because the mouse will shit all over them and ruin their franchises before they can even begin. Thus we get shit like Illumination and the Shitagascar movies.

Obviously the best way to go about things is to pitch it to the mouse itself since they are pretty aggressive in marketing shows.

Spiderverse won the Oscar this year though.

>since they are pretty aggressive in marketing shows.
Hahaha you are SO CORRECT user! H-haha...

Attached: keks royally.png (435x435, 183K)

The less racists have swapped with the more racists again

>Muh oscar
Disney fucking owns the place.
It's like having your left hand give a trophy to your right one

God it seems like companies these days want everything to become a franchise or cinematic universe

just end it all

Attached: 1556354862768.png (497x459, 331K)

Everything else is underwhelming, might as well give it to Disney since that's the only studio that the academy voters recognize

pan's unscripted review of this was unironically more entertaining than this dull garbabe.

I work at a theater and say parts of this movie the weirdest part about this movie is the holocaust allegory used by the main villian who is blonde and blue eyed. After meeting the ugly dolls he says he wants to destroy them because they aren't perfect. He was gonna do it by putting there entire race into recycling which is a giant furnace.

But Hitler was a black haired man with who knows what eyes and blonde haired, blue eyed people are just ice people.

>putting it out in Endgame's 2nd weekend

Well, what did they think was going to happen?

>Endgame is going to hurt Detective Pikachu
It will hurt, but it'll be fine in the long run.

Pokemon name is powerful. Endgame reached it's peak sales. DP won't reach Avenger levels but it'll dominate regardless.

Why does Trigger suck now?

>now

dude, Pokémon...
>killed the hype for TS4 and Stan Lee with his first trailer
>killed the hype for Frozen 2 with the announce of Pokemon Sword/Shield
The definitive Mouse Killer
Killed the

oh nononono

Attached: capture-20190506-093329.png (802x366, 27K)

this

no Ice Bat was a MAJOR draw for me

Emperor's New Groove was originally a Prince and the Pauper adaptation that ended up in development hell and got turned into Shitpost: The Movie.

Attached: 42119895538c8a4053d8689b849950d3.gif (700x373, 3.77M)

>DUDE BLUE SKIES AND WATER LMAO

>calling anime Chinese things
>All east Asian countries are the same
That's TOTALLY NOT RACIST. AT ALL.*

*that was sarcasm

These people get paid a lot to do this. Where do I sign up?

a Nickelodeon movie with no credited director

You think they will learn their lesson from Shazam being the biggest flop of 2019?

they all look the same

Whats disappointing is that Disney literally has to do nothing to rinse through the awards.

their slate is basically
>animated remake of a beloved classic film with realistic cgi
>sequel to one of their biggest grossing franchise
>sequel to one of their biggest grossing franchise

and that's it.

No original stuff. I thought spiderverse was gonna be a gamechanger but we wont see anything like that for a few years

>Shazam being the biggest flop of 2019?

you mispelled hellboy

>implying that isn’t happening

I really want Aladdin & some WDAS garbage to flop to boot out Jennifer Lee as head.

She's just am irrelevant figurehead. She's only there because FEMALE.

It's not now that it's a confirmed flop

They always sucked

Sony won this year; it won against 2 Disney movies.

it won because black protagonist

Sony won with a property Disney owns

Have Del Taco shill for any of the anime movies this year and Disney’s done for.

Attached: 6719A42F-B663-4385-A81C-265DA517CD92.jpg (750x590, 210K)

This officially confirms that anime will always be superior to western animation. Give it up, cartoons will never beat anime. Anime perfected animation as we know it and without anime, cartoons couldn't be taken seriously.

Hello retard

But Disney has nothing to do with the making of “Into the Spider-Verse.” Incredibles 2 and Ralph 2 made more money, were more popular among movie-goers, and they still lost. How humiliating was that?

>PlayMobil

You could just call the movie "LET'S GET EPIC" and it would still garner the same viewership.

and it has an animated series coming out soon-ish, that is, if there's still an investment for the tv series.

ICE BAT ISNT IN THE FUCKING UGLYDOLLS MOVIE? WHAT THE FUCK??

it's the next 2017.

I thought it was a videogame

yeah

for some reason one of the featured characters is this weird red bat named "Lucky Bat". I could not possibly comprehend why they wouldn't have Ice Bat, an OG Uglydoll

because Spider Verse was made by a popular American animation studio with wide distribution. if Spider Verse was made in Japan or French awards voters wouldn't give two shits about it

Yeah, the creators are an american dude and his south korean wife. They were a huge thing in the 2000s to the point that i'd see see people just straight up bring them to class with no explanation.

I don't understand what they were thinking with this. I get that the studios might have felt the uglyguide and comic book humor was too oddball for mainstream audiences, but then why grab the license at all?

I just watched that movie now

The ending actually got me a bit but the movie overall was still average

Lou is fucking Savage though, holy shit

>Release film next to a twenty-two film Disney capeshit capstone

>Expect it to do well

These idiots only deserve pity, parents aren't going take their kids to see some other movie when a Disney shitstravaganza is also showing.

Aladdin flopping would be too good to be true.

>I thought spiderverse was gonna be a gamechanger
it won't be. All that will happen is other will just try to mimic that specific style and sony will destroy everything the first film did with shitty sequels

I don't know what the actual fuck they were thinking

>playmobil
I should have seen this coming, but I didn't.

Attached: sadcat.gif (333x250, 658K)

It is up to Yea Forums to change the outcome of the Oscars so Disney doesn’t win with their soulless cashgrab sequels. We have about 8 months to do it:

Basically we have to do the same as pic related. We make sure only good animated movies are nominated, leaving Disney out of the race.

Attached: B62A0F17-DA97-47B8-AA86-2E2661E8B0BC.png (775x1000, 1.32M)

>I thought spiderverse was gonna be a gamechanger
That would be nice but it wasn't big enough to do that. I also think if anything was a "gamechanger" we wouldn't see it immediately

This is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. Being an animation fan is suffering.

The only advertisement I seen for it was on a bench by a grocery store. That is the only time I have ever seen an ad on a bench in this small town. It's still there, despite the movie coming out in March and being long out of theaters at this point.

What I'm saying is that I think someone pulled the most obscure prank that I have ever seen by putting an unsolicited ad for a shitty movie on an unattended bench.

pic?

Citation needed nigga

>uglydolls
Never heard of these things before this movie.
>first released: 2001
What the fuck?

That said, has ANY movie with ugly characters or even just with "ugly" in the title ever not been a flop?

>he didn’t like Madagascar

Ugly Americans

Attached: 956759765.png (506x394, 120K)

Ice bat has a speaking line and is mentioned by name, WTF were you crackheads smoking before you went to see it?

Not a movie but Ugly Betty.

Attached: 605CCBEF-ECFC-4D5C-BE4E-ADE60EFFEB69.jpg (300x450, 58K)

I'm guessing someone in corporate wanted this to bomb and intentionally released it in an unfavorable time slot.

The good the bad the ugly

>Edge of Seventeen
Some real weird narrative parts of that movie and the stuff that Hailee Steinfeld's character makes seems weird, but it's solid, yeah. Hailee Steinfeld is the reason I watched it tho.

It's hard to follow a year that had Spider-Verse in it.

what successful movie are they talking about in their first sentence?

Sonic the Hedgehog will be the biggest movie of 2019. It will be like the Emoji Movie. So many people pay to see it "ironically" that it ends up being successful.

Good thing the rest of the world can pick up the slack

Attached: international animation 2019.jpg (2668x2883, 2.25M)

Couldn't have been THAT successful, since there was no sequel greenlight and it hasn't been talked about in ANY context since.

The LEGO Movie.

I agree with him, but only in the sense that BH6 shouldn't have been nominated.

>Box office: $217.8 million
Made 4 times it's budget

I thought Wage is the mascot. Icebat is just cuter.

I haven't read one of these books in about a decade. Just from the this one page, I see it's just as funny as I remembered. Someone should do a storytime.

Coyote Ugly

I'm going to see STH just because we finally get a zany over the top Jim Carey again.
Why did he have to go crazy irl and start doing so many serious roles?

Gonna need more info on Penguin Highway. Looks cute and penguins are my favorite animal.

>imFUCKINGplying they won't just give it to Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, or worse Lion Kangs
The Academy hates Japanese animation and is paid off by Disney to rig the awards in their favor.

>j'ai perdu mon corps

god i hate the french

>and is paid off by Disney to rig the awards in their favor.
guess it didn't work so well this year.

I'd be happy to do a storytime when I have time! I owned all the books.

Still won since they own Spider-Man and got a cut of the profits.

>implying anyone actually watched it
If they wanted to bother putting any real effort into the movie, they would've made Ice Bat one of the main characters.

It's like making a Mario movie and giving Luigi a small cameo.

anyone able to tell what are these movie's names?

youtube.com/watch?v=SqrxtZQG73k

Attached: 6821477F-AAFF-4439-8613-BEE56B111B23.jpg (750x817, 334K)

>cute onee-chan
>possible /ss/
>penguins
I'm liking this.

Who? Link?

i went to watch endgame with my dad on friday and every showing was sold out except for the shitty front seats we thought about watching something else since we just drive out there but nothing was good so we didn't bother but the point is You're already here ready to watch something so why not.

not if they keep doing the generic "girl and boy and poster is all blue please have sex japan" anime movies

Only Frozen 2 is worth anything

wtf how did america make all these movies during war???

>From the producers of The Lost Thing.

Neat.

Attached: the_lost_thing-807152744-large.jpg (768x976, 187K)

That was awful anyway.

Which war? Because the WWII era Disney movies are mostly crap that were directly sabotaged by the war. Instead of making good quality feature length films like they had been, they started stitching together shorts and releasing them as feature lengths. Also a big chunk of materials for Mickey and the Beanstalk was lost and they pushed it through in Fun and Fancy Free basically half finished. On the plus side, though, making a ton of war propaganda helped keep the studio open.

STX Films started with this shit, thinking the Shrek model of dependence on star power is still relevant in this day and age.

Bankruptcy when? STX is just "it's a blockbuster producer of mostly shitty comedies wanting to make even big" episode.

>Reel FX
Mostly a hit-or-miss studio

>spies in disguise

at least this looks somewhat original

Not him:
deadline.com/2019/05/uglydolls-bombs-at-box-office-stx-1202607570/
Not even the chinks will save this shit from being a big flop.

That implies anyone remembers fucking Uglydolls. It flopped hard, which means most people don’t recognize this shitty toy brand.

I would agree with you, except for Spies in Disguise. 2 hours of lame pigeon jokes? Fuck yeah I will watch that.

Does Shrek count?

>Bankruptcy when?
Hopefully after this. I suspect Reel FX will continue getting work considering they're just a contract studio for the project.

We're talking about pokemon becoming a cinematic universe you dumb fuck.

>Arkie the disabled double amputee
fetish bait are the worst

That's not happening. It's already bombing in Japan.

Attached: 1557087038176.png (750x765, 192K)

box office != benefits.

>underestimating america.

>""""our source""""
>expected
you got yourself a good case of smear campaign bait there.

nothing about japan in that clickbait, the fuck are you on?

The Japs actually love whales, and in olden times their names were recorded on funerary poles like they were people. They just don’t see anything wrong with hunting them like burgers hunt deer.

They’ll give it to Miyazaki’s last movie if he drops dead before the ceremony happens, otherwise I’ll agree with you

God you're fucking dumb

Attached: 20190507_103630.jpg (2896x2896, 635K)

>underestimating Endgame
Genuinely have no idea how you people have gotten this retarded

It’s based on a short film.
youtube.com/watch?v=jEjUAnPc2VA

Maybe they could have saved cost and quality by NOT hiring singers to as the voice cast. . . most of whom can't really act.

Also it’s a Blue Sky film which Disney now owns as part of the Fox deal, so it’ll probably be ignored in marketing and dumped in favor of Frozen 2 and even if it’s good and manages to scoop up awards Disney will still be the ones winning. There’s really no good outcome

Why do sushis love Detective Conan so much? They release a movie literally every year and those always make tons of money, beating Hollywood blockbusters.

The subplot with the Asian dude who was played by a 30 year old man didn’t add much imo, but I guess it was there to give Hailee Steinfeld’s character a reason to change her behavior. the movie should’ve ended with Hailee Steinfeld having a threeway with her brother and best friend. That would’ve solved their problems

The anime is also still ongoing. How fucking many mysteries can they really come up to still be going?

Attached: 1444253675653.jpg (374x347, 39K)

>be 2007 emo/goth teen
>develop a love for things that are edgy/creepy yet cute (Skelanimals, Uglydolls, Tim Burton works, Jhonen Vasquez stuff, Lenore comics, etc.)
>loved the descriptions on all the little Uglydoll tags that were blatantly written by cool stoners
>hear that they're making an Uglydolls movie
>"oh cool, my teenhood revived"
>it's a shitty "burself" kids film
>they made all the characters cutesy instead of ugly
>"look at all these celebrities we hired, you will watch our show to support these hollywood boomers because you recognize their names"

People like me are in the minority of the audience but goddamn, they did not try to appeal to me at all. A lot of complaints aren't just from how generic it is, but what a waste it was failing to hit the nostalgia part of it. They erased what made Uglydolls interesting (all the personalities and lore made up by the original toy artists) and decided to just sell it by making it as safe and soulless as possible.

Would've been a much better movie if they changed up the plot and more dark humor. Kids love things that are kind of edgy, that's why they latch onto stuff like Invader Zim and the genocide part of Undertale.

Attached: ugly-dolls-mvoie.jpg (3300x2550, 572K)

You sound like a youtube reviewer drone.

I'm sorry to say user but the chances of Frozen 2 flopping are low. Frozen has been ingrained in the minds of little girls for 6 years now. Even if it's bad people will go see it anyway because OMG ELSA!!1!

are you ready for /frz/ generals?

>Never heard of these things before this movie.
>What the fuck?
That was your birth year wasn't it, zoomer?

its times like this where im glad im turning 21, this takes me back to those whitty cgi movies like Disney's the wild back in the 2000s, god some of those movies looked corny.

i pity todays kids

This movie clearly triggered the shit out of critics.

Attached: last names.png (1080x1575, 312K)

t.weeb

Captain Underpants??

>The numbers aren’t pretty considering how widely it was released and how extensively it was marketed

Great marketing campaign when this is the first time I even hear of the movie.

All of Yea Forums is racist sweety

I'm hoping jannies exile /frz/ to /trash/ or give it the homestuck treatment and just deny all discussion of it entirely without a written explanation as to why.

yellow people refer to dolphins as "sea pigs" (海豚) is it really a surprise that they don't value them with a name like that?

What was the P&A budget? probably at least doubled the budget since it was everywhere. Also studios get about half of the domestic gross and less than half of international.

I mean the mere fact that Sony hasn't announced a sequel for either it or that Smurfs movie strongly implies that they weren't all that thrilled with the grosses of either.

I don't want another Chuck Tingle

obviously it looked like toybait from the start, even my 12 year old sister saw through it and gave it a pass

>toybait
>literally based on a toyline from the early 2000s
retard

Right now we got over 900. The story will probably never end unless people want it. And the actual ongoing story line about the series villains doesn't even seem to be relevant outside of movies, and even that's rare.

>>be 2007 emo/goth teen
>>develop a love for things that are edgy/creepy yet cute (Skelanimals, Uglydolls, Tim Burton works, Jhonen Vasquez stuff, Lenore comics, etc.)
I've wanted to date a girl like this since I was a kid, and every year my chance of doing so gets slimmer.

Attached: frollosweat.png (620x700, 309K)

And that's a good thing

How much you wanna bet that someone was an Uglydoll fan?

As an UglyDoll fan, this thread is extremely cathartic. Thank you.

You, on the other hand, can take your bait and shove it up your ass.

I have some of the comics, I could storytime those.

It won't. It'll just lead them to kill theatrical releases of animated films and focus almost entirely on live-action or live action/CGI combo features.

>Penguin Highway
>Ride Your Wave
>Birthday Wonderland
>Weathering With You
>Children of the Sea
>Promare

Suck my cock boco

how is this a bomb

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-16-06-05-28-1.png (720x639, 314K)

So from what I've gathered, the general consensus is that STX thought that they could pare down animated filmmaking to a formula for success and tried to do so with what was, in their eyes, a random franchise with cheap-as-free film rights. They did everything in line with their formula, yet they appear to have miscalculated actual consumer interest.

They thought being Illumination is easy, but learned otherwise.

That's a thing a lot of people who try to do this don't realize: cheap knockoffs are cheap for a reason. They're trying to cash in on the success of other films, not compete with them. They feed from the overall consumer interest that trickles down from big blockbusters. You can't invest too heavily on these kinds of enterprises, because your returns won't be that big.

Oh, user... It’s not gonna be the cool animated spy movie you think it’s gonna be: youtube.com/watch?v=LSSGHvzMY60

Attached: 384899AD-31C4-413F-B857-BE9ECC63D629.jpg (1000x563, 127K)

Seething
Just let the computer do all the animating for you

Attached: animation whitepill (2015-2019).jpg (3111x4800, 3.08M)

t. mickey

Sponge Out of Water was a fucking mess, bro. All it really had going for it were the visuals.

Attached: 3C968A25-628E-4CBE-B3B5-551109153B17.gif (400x224, 1.25M)

You know the world is fucked up when "Will Smith turns into a pigeon" is the most interesting of the bunch

We’ll wait, bench-user

Moviegoers seem to be falling out of love with CG animated films in general.

Marry me, user

Attached: 3451E8EE-A6A3-4B78-BF30-629BBE125BBF.png (1600x900, 1.05M)

shrek

I’m noticing a distinct lack of mention from The Mitchells vs. The Machines.

You guys need to realize that Sony is finally starting to pick up the pace and be more innovative, with Spider-Verse as the first sign of that. There’s a reason why Rich Moore left Disney for them.

Attached: 576960B3-F81F-49B1-BE79-E58772337C7F.jpg (1600x1055, 223K)

Go to bed, Pan.

And Endgame’s success will only keep that train rolling, brah!

Attached: D8824FA5-E5BB-466B-83D8-2E3F384079D0.jpg (1536x2048, 392K)

They're more of a necessity to dump kids at a theater with. Granted it doesn't help if they look generic as shit.

CG fucking sucks so who cares

youtube.com/watch?v=tAA_yWX8ycQ
>WB realized it was DoA so leaked it online
WTF?

Pan has a girlfriend. I'm a kissless virgin.

Should have been a 2d animated film

They're surrounded by water

It doesn't have to be Frozen 2

Nerdland sucked

>He thinks anime doesn't use computers to animate
>He think anime doesn't use computer programs to make backgrounds for, with the actual characters not being animated ever
Oh honey I have bad news for you

Its always been this way. The top grossers have always been Disney, Dreamworks and Pixars stables. How many movies do you think have out grosse those three? Maybe Ice Age but the majority of its revenue came from the international market and it officially dried up with the fifth installment.

I still remember when I met original creators at CCSD. It was either 2000 or 1999. They were pretty nice, selling only four or five of the characters, kinda shabbily stitched together, held a bunch of tin garbage cans for a couple of bucks. I bought the apron guy because I liked that he had a funky denim apron and he was super soft and the most pillow shaped.He lived in my shaggin’ wagon among the pillows for a decade and is now in my daughter bedroom collection. Little homie has seen some shit.. That’s all I have to contribute.

Attached: ABBF98CA-CCEA-43C0-81D5-A1D9FF66F394.jpg (1194x1686, 859K)

/thread

Attached: 1521773994184.jpg (260x326, 33K)

I was thinking about this, your animation boards are separated by continent for what purpose? Because of sheer volume?

>TV series that might've been closer to the books will probably be canned
Rats.

>When Blackbirds Fly
Is that one actually good?

They're not, Yea Forums is only for anime, a.k.a. Japanese-produced animation, this board talks about Animation from Russia, Canada, France, Australia, etc.
It's just that anime is such a prominent medium that it kinda warranted it's own board, otherwise 2/3s of Yea Forums would be anime.

And how do you know the TV show wouldn't just be a continuation of the movie?

I mean, I don't. I just figured they might consider that route.

Thanks to Sony accidentally posting the entirety of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on Youtube years back, I actually fell for this.

>all those fucking bright ass colors

Attached: squint.jpg (1024x727, 81K)