Reminder that the best Marvel character designs weren't even drawn by Marvel

Reminder that the best Marvel character designs weren't even drawn by Marvel.

Attached: d8zbr0y-e4f25e35-f3a3-4de8-96ee-5976e7bc14a0.png (385x768, 266K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N4LviG0H_OU
youtube.com/watch?v=qZgGy0o6Zrc
youtube.com/watch?v=MCxjuXre3Dw
youtube.com/watch?v=F5WN7g5D25s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You are right

That is based off from the comics.

I mean, I don't see how an entire publisher can draw something, I don't think abstract concepts have hands...

Bengus didn't really do any redesigns, he just copped what they looked like in the mid-90s. That said, his art for the MvC games was godly.

Attached: IMG_0834.jpg (462x664, 55K)

mvc art is so fucking good, but it's basically just the designs they had in the comics of the time.

But that's just Jim Lee's design with different colours.

Attached: d2ae0388d0f717fa702a58d5989b3abe[1].jpg (400x619, 43K)

90s era was peak X-Men and Capcom had some of the best artists backing those designs. Cyclops and Psylocke had amazing sprites too. Truly a wonderful time.

Attached: De8szTsVQAAuJxw.jpg (766x900, 170K)

Anyone else remember when Squirrel Girl was entertaining and enjoyable?

Attached: rs_634x917-170405075014-634.squirrel-girl.cm.4517.jpg (634x917, 69K)

Also worth noting that Bengus drew Venom better than McFarlane or Bagley ever did.

Attached: IMG_0835.png (578x752, 615K)

He also wasn't involved with the in-game spritework either, that was Akiman and a bunch of spriters you've never heard of.

Wow yeah, fat Venom with a retard jaw, amazing

What people don't realize is that the characters in Children of the Atom had way more frames of animation than in Marvel vs Capcom 2 or even X-Men vs Street Fighter.

The most extreme example is Sentinel, who is almost a completely different character in COTA.

Attached: sent-jumpattacks.gif (325x224, 417K)

No. She was always a shitty joke that they never stopped hammering.

Retard jaw Venom is best Venom.

Was Magneto all that different originally when he was the super overpowered boss of CotM?

Attached: DkcgfxMU0AEU9nK.jpg (710x1200, 135K)

I figured as much. COTA almost feels like it was made by the Darkstalkers team with all of the animation frames and the combo system. While it might be limited compared to later games, I still love it dearly for the amount of effort and care that went into it.

Attached: cyclops.gif (200x200, 60K)

That's what happens when they have to cut down on frames to free up more space for characters.

They pretty much blew their entire load on CotA, using the CPS2 board's entire storage capacity (first game to do so, I think?). That meant that in subsequent games they'd have to make cuts somewhere in order to fit new stuff in.

That's just 90s Rogue in kawaii uguu desu ne style. I don't think you know what design is.

I think this vid will explain boss Magneto better than I can but to summarize:
-auto meter fill
-homing projectile
-force field gives him ridiculous amounts of invincibility for almost 30 seconds if undamaged and can tank a full super
-hyper grav is much stronger

youtube.com/watch?v=N4LviG0H_OU

Attached: tumblr_msd17c37HE1scncwdo1_500.gif (500x516, 305K)

90s Capcom is hardly "kawaii uguu desu ne." The characters actually have noses, lips, chins and eyelids.

>30 seconds of invincibility
Sorry, I over stated it. It's about 10 seconds. It only feels like 30 when Mag's kicking my ass.

Attached: X-Men-Children-of-the-Atom.png (320x239, 139K)

I hope Udon get the greenlight to re-release the MvC artbook someday. That shit goes for silly money on eBay now.

Attached: dgv7jnlhp0z01.jpg (1618x2048, 371K)

I thought that it was already established that the Japanese are better than Americans at literally anything art-related.

Attached: guilty_gear_039.jpg (2192x2884, 750K)

Whens my boy gonna get in?

Attached: max.jpg (1372x1500, 1.32M)

The best thing about COTA is that it has the mechanics of a VS game, but the damage and stun values of Street Fighter 2. So you get wacky shit like throws doing 30% damage by themselves and characters getting dizzy after 3 hits.

I AM THE APOCALYPSE!

Attached: Apoc_Stance_N64Mario.gif (320x240, 16K)

By manga standards, sure.

by any standard

Retarded opinions can be established, sure.

Attached: Mvc2-silver-samurai.jpg (550x800, 155K)

No.

most of these could be published in an american comic and not seem out of place or especially anime-y

It sucks that fighting games are obsessed with bloating their rosters because it's way cooler to have something like COTA, Marvel Superheroes or Darkstalkers where you have a small amount of hyperdetailed characters that are all massively different from each other. The closest you got to that from a modern fighting game was Skullgirls.

Disagree. Japanese artists are usually better at drawing motion and it's why the action mangas are so popular globally and the fight scenes are so universally praised. Even the best American comic book artists kinda fall flat on that. American comic books are more well known for their individual characters and the chemistry/writing of those characters. Great comic books are remembered for their art, but for their writing while great manga is known for their action panels.

Of course, there are ALWAYS some outliers, so don't take it as universal constant.

Attached: 12761.gif (344x501, 40K)

Attached: crop.jpg (444x794, 57K)

PORT RED EARTH TO CONSOLES ALREADY CAPCOM YOU FUCKS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: red-earth-capcom-poster-by-dai-chan.png (725x1000, 1.44M)

I wish they would make a Darkstalkers 4 and put the Warzard characters, Ruby Heart and Amingo all into it. They all fit.

Attached: DKFc1AiW0AIatKK.jpg (1024x513, 75K)

We have gotten a few first time arcade ports in the past few years (Battle Circuit, Armored Warriors, Alien VS Predator), so I'd say Red Earth has a chance.

I want her to straddle me.

one of the most boring characters ever designed, even cartoon force at least has an appeal.
so glad Gwenpool stole her main gimmick.

>weeaboos

Bengus is god

I agree. Xmen v Street Fighter has the best design.s God I with there was a whole series in that style

I would love for Marvel to hire Bengus ( or Kinu Nishimura) for a mini series

>Alien VS Predator
>It's stuck on that stupid arcade thing and won't be added to the Beat 'em Up Bundle via a free update

Attached: yeano.gif (370x269, 475K)

>Bengus will never work on X-men or Spider-man.

Would be something else though.

Attached: mvc.jpg (453x700, 78K)

Reminder that one of the best Marvel games is gone forever

Attached: Marvel Heroes.jpg (1280x720, 1015K)

You're missing out if you don't appreciate both the East and West, senpai.

Attached: 02.jpg (400x285, 31K)

>Disagree. Japanese artists are usually better at drawing motion and it's why the action mangas are so popular globally and the fight scenes are so universally praised.
Read RYOKO if you haven't. Some of the most dynamic looking action I've seen in any comic.

Attached: A11.png (836x1200, 324K)

disprove it then

Eh, it had potential but I think there was a lot that really kept it from reaching it. For one they kept dumbing down the game play and skill trees and there was way too much focus on MCU pandering. I mean I get it you got to sell the brand but it's still a bummer. I mean we got Loki before a shit load of heroes. Also Bendis.

Attached: PaTHIng.jpg (2100x1052, 712K)

It was still fun for what it was. Especially playing as big boys like Hulk and Juggs.

Hey I ain't saying it was bad. I had some fun with it too. Even dropped some money to get the Mayday suit.

Attached: Mayday 2.jpg (988x299, 73K)

Man X-men COTA was such a wild thing. It's easy to look at MvC as a franchise but to just take a moment to remember where it started.

Attached: psylocke-stand-alt.gif (84x96, 31K)

God the Rule 63 outfits were top notch, especially that one and female Hawkeye

Attached: Kate Bishop.jpg (2394x3636, 694K)

When Mayday was wearing Pete's version it looked kind of crappy to be honest. Maybe the black and red variant would have looked better but it was a piss time all around.

True. I just wish I could go back and play. I had a toaster that could barely handle the game at the time and never really got to play it on settings above low-medium.

Weekly manga can afford to do lengthy fight scenes while a monthly comic will feel like a rip-off if it's just that.

HA HA HA

Attached: dewqeqw.jpg (899x666, 430K)

The edited version is nicer.

Attached: 20ijl90.gif (190x207, 51K)

>dat detail on the upper inner thighs

God I want a slim thicc Asian gf so bad

Attached: poil.png (1712x472, 202K)

Attached: 488561c1406a0cbb4806fb7eb0ab850a.gif (500x521, 133K)

This one, this one understands what the good shit really, truly is.

Bengus is so good bros

Attached: ZombieTiddies.jpg (530x684, 137K)

>Bengus is so good
He was good. Now his art seems pretty bad, what the hell happened during all those years between SFV?

Best Thanos for sure.

Attached: thanos-mvc2-vs.jpg (537x530, 55K)

BUBBLES

Attached: TvCMuHo.gif (640x480, 2.58M)

THANOS REIGNS

Attached: Thanos-withwife-noanim.gif (173x185, 12K)

A really massive badass. Would kill to see how classic Capcom would do Darkseid.

Attached: thanos-mv2.jpg (540x750, 103K)

I want blame Capcom more than him for that. They probably gave him fuck all time and money and just used drafts.

>TFW you forget to make your girlfriend be able to breath in space

Attached: single.jpg (960x720, 99K)

No this isn't true I'd say, however seeing characters that one can describe with the clarity of a relative through the lenses of an artist that comes from a different culture or even origin. It just really allows you to appreciate in an almost strangely nostalgic way.

Terraxia's the real MVP considering she beat Spider-Man to death with a rock and ripped Iron Man's head off.

why didnt thanos make himself a waifu in endgame?

Attached: thanos waifu .jpg (221x175, 21K)

I kinda want this specific Sentinel to be a canon character with all that cool shit

Well he does kind of look like Juston's (F) and there was also O*N*E Bro. (maybe F?)

Attached: ONE.jpg (1280x2001, 472K)

Wait isn't there one of this but with Spidey and Sakura?

no , she had a lot of groundswell during the bedis-vengers then sjws 'claimed' that character before anything good came out of the character

Yep. The ending is slightly different depending on the version: youtube.com/watch?v=qZgGy0o6Zrc

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 43K)

looks like a typical manga action scene that dragon ball defined three decades ago

Don't forget my monkey Sonson

Attached: sonson_umvc3_movelist_by_hakuxtemari-d7wesjf.jpg (300x369, 26K)

Cute monkey

Attached: sonson 4.jpg (300x400, 119K)

I wanna spank that monkey!

Attached: UFDlMoj.gif (342x216, 13K)

How come there never was a Marvel vs Capcom comic?
youtube.com/watch?v=MCxjuXre3Dw

MvC3 included a short one but other than that yeah I can't think of one. Even a promo one-off would have been cool during the 90s.

Attached: xmen vs sf.png (1482x1010, 2.94M)

Attached: 373B9938-1549-42AF-B633-28354766FCE7.jpg (256x498, 31K)

Bengus is great. He manages to make anime, comic book and even cartoonish characters blend together nicely without changing a lot of their original designs.

I hope we get a MvC game with Skullgirls or Cuphead animation(as in "playable cartoons") with his art. Sadly MCU shilling is here to stay and the roster won't be as cool as it could be

Attached: d16fb308c9f78ad67a09ddc7753361ac.jpg (800x1027, 200K)

>I hope we get a MvC game with Skullgirls or Cuphead animation
i really hope we don't

I'd even be happy if they pulled an Xrd with models based on his style.

can't remember something that never happened

To be honest I wish it was all spritework but that is never happening

Ive actually been playing mvc2 a bit the last few days

I’m fucking terrible

But one day I’ll get Thanos’s bubble infinite in a real game

Might pick up Juggernaut as a second character

Not sure who my third should be

I'd recommened Sentinel or Captain Commando. Both are great at both low and top levels of play.

Attached: street-fighter_00415052.png (1440x900, 2.07M)

>Sadly MCU shilling is here to stay and the roster won't be as cool as it could be
>tfw we'll never get obscure Marvel waifus in these games ever again

Attached: giphy.gif (498x498, 196K)

>comic games are no longer for fans of the comics
This is just sad.

I remember reading about how the owner of the company was a rapist and openly talked about it on his personal blog./

I also remember how that game was like when it was about to go; everything that came out was just re-use of assets, getting to the point where the final support character they made was "S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier". it had no model, and all it did was make explosions.

oh and also they fucked up shutting it down; they literally just left it running in the building, past their shutdown date, because they couldn't be bothered. It only went out at all because nobody was paying for electricity.

You're misremembering the last bit

They said it would shut down at the end of November that year. It shut down the first week of November instead without warning.

How do they do it?

Attached: 1555486017861.png (163x178, 56K)

Fuck all those other guys. I remember.

I remember when Yea Forums was entertaining and enjoyable.

But being fat and ugly makes her relatable!

Attached: professionally published comic in current year.jpg (540x230, 31K)

What the fuck is that art?

Attached: 1546474374645.png (719x719, 471K)

That aint Evolution

This is the Marvel Universe now.

That was the one with the vegetables, right? I remember that being pretty good.

I love how they had the balls to include obscure characters because they would be interesting from a gameplay standpoint. Characters like Spiral, Shuma Gorath or Blackheart are way cooler than whatever boring street level character or Spider-man villain that fans kept begging for.

Agreed. Anything is better than "generic guy who shoots and punches".

Well I'd rather take a random dark horse than a MCU character at this point

Agreed. Shame they slept on my boy Ghost Rider for so long though. Sucks even more he never shared a Capcom fighter with Blackheart.

Attached: Ghost Rider.jpg (1024x768, 508K)

It's why Injustice was so boring because you had Batman, but then you had all of Batman's sidekicks and then all of Batman's villains and then all of Batman's friends.

If 90's Capcom made a DC fighting game you'd haven seen shit like OMAC or the haunted tank.

Starro lives!

Injustice is honestly just pure batwank at its finest.

in artwork, sure, but the sprite was kind of a disgrace

>sjws 'claimed' that character
What happened?

He lost a ton of animation frames going from Marvel Superheroes to Marvel vs Capcom 2. Also for some reason his head doesn't actually move during his walk animation in MvC2 it looks awful.

Attached: than-stomp.gif (351x188, 44K)

I wouldn't even MIND all the Batwank if they at least included more interesting Bat characters. I'd rather have Clayface, a fleshed out Mr. Freeze, and Killer Moth over Catwoman, Batgirl, and Red Hood. Scarecrow and Poison Ivy were good choices though.

Attached: 2c52ae443dfed8c2088ce8e583007c2a2c7ed829r1-960-600v2_uhq.jpg (960x600, 123K)

>Juggernaut lost his grab move
>Colossus lost his OTG grapples
>Ryu lost his transformations
>Wolverine was nerfed to oblivion
>Thanos lost ALL but 2 moves
A lot of characters got screwed over in the transition to MvC2.

Attached: than.gif (406x249, 288K)

But perfected by the Japanese.

It was that or Psylocke's jiggle. I think they made the right choices.

>>Wolverine was nerfed to oblivion
This one was a positive though. It was nice to finally have a VS game where it wasn't 'learn how to deal with Wolverine's bullshit, THEN you can have fun'

Unfortunately Wolverine was replaced by characters that were even more bullshit.

Batgirl would be fine if they picked the right one.

Attached: Batgirl_Cassandra_Cain_0006.jpg (836x1829, 205K)

I remember when Yea Forums loved and cherished her, reminds me that I’ve been here too long. We got everything we could have wanted from her during Great Lake Avengers so I’m not too mad, I just wish that part wouldn’t be forgotten.

>90s
>peak X-Men
The actual comics were shit tho

It’s hard to enjoy other dc characters when you know they will always have to orbit Batman. Super girl and Harley ended up working for him after Injustice 2, if it had been made in Japan then it would be rebranded as a harem series.

They got a random tumblr user to make a squirrel girl comic and paired her up with every female and minority character while retreading on all her old material without any clever twists.

At least the Injustice universe was destroyed.

Yeah probably. Like, I loved the 90s Spider-Man cartoon but I think we all know Spider-Man has been on the decline for the past 3 or so decades.

Attached: tumblr_ll45h7u5BN1qd9g7oo1_1280.png (922x684, 489K)

Early 90's stuff wasn't bad. There was the Liefeld stuff yeah, but that got salvaged by subsequent writers like Niceiza. Claremont era they were not (aside from the odd issues he did ofc) but they were still fun reads.

youtube.com/watch?v=F5WN7g5D25s
Fuck man, the music in these Capcom fighters were so fucking good. How can the film scores even compete?

Run a rom.