What are your thoughts on religious heroes and/or the no kill rule?

What are your thoughts on religious heroes and/or the no kill rule?

Attached: Marvels-SpiderMan-AR0011C.jpg (1098x1280, 303K)

I don’t have a problem with religious heroes, always interesting to see spirituality in a world of superheroes. As for no killing, I’m not for overthrowing governments like in Injustice or the Authority, or even killing human dictators, just locking them away somewhere. But guys like the Joker and Carnage have got to die or sent to another dimension they can never break out of.

Depends on the character, the situation, and how hard the plot bends to cater to it.
Modern Spider-Man does it poorly.

I unironically think Spider-Man doesn't work as a character if you take out his Christian element. No character can suffer as much as he does without some kind of religious backbone.

I'm OK with religious heroes. Religion has its place in fiction. Since it is fiction.

>No character can suffer as much as he does without some kind of religious backbone.
How weak are you user?

Attached: JJJ.jpg (225x225, 5K)

I'm fine with Spider-Man not being religous, Daredevil is the real suffering Christian

>worshipping the Christian God when you're on the same superhero team as fucking Thor and Hercules

Do you just not understand the concept of faith?

His creators were Jewish, fuck off.

I'm not a religious man but if I had to pick a god (AND PRAY) I'd pick the god who actually shows up and gets shit done. Your God works in mysterious ways? Mine works with a hammer to the fucking face.

>His creators were Jewish
Yeah good point
>fuck off
Rude

Why not worship Hercules? Or any other hero based off mythology?

And when Thanos shows up and breaks your god's spine over his knee, who are you gonna pray to then?

I'd imagine it's hard to believe in their divinity when you've seen them get their asses handed to them.

>But guys like the Joker and Carnage have got to die or sent to another dimension they can never break out of.
And then they come back to life or come back from the dimension, because it always happens.

This is a theoretical world where death and dimensional prisoning means something

So meaningless then. Might aswell just wish them away.
You have to deal with the fan/editorial imperative of keeping popular villains reoccuring somehow.

Hey, they keep getting back up, don't they? They keep going, they keep fighting for what's right, no matter how many times they get stomped into the dirt. Now that I can respect. I certainly respect that kind of god more than a god who just sits on his hands when shit hits the fan and expects his followers to deal with it.

And shit if you're going to have that theorical world, how about a world where the justice system and regular prisons do their job? There's no reason it should be this easy to break out of prison for someone like Joker.

I despise how it's presented as a binary. Heroes either don't kill anyone, or kill everyone, and there's never any thought given to context. It's usually given a very shallow treatment

More like breaking out of a mental facility, albeit Arkham

Isn't he supposed to be smart though?

I'm okay with religious heroes. The no kill rule is okay too, what bugs me more is that most cape characters never stay dead.

Why do religious people seem to believe that it's impossible to have strong morals or resilience being a believer?

This. I never felt Spidey to be really a spiritual guy. The christian martyr symbolism fits better with Daredevil.

I don't believe that you need religion (Christ) to be a good person. It helps a lot though.

Semi-relevant

Attached: JJJ religion.png (1339x615, 63K)

>what bugs me more is that most cape characters never stay dead.

The Joker in particular is like the bastard lovechild of Old Yeller and the Goose that Laid Golden Eggs. You know the right thing to do is to put him down, but... solid gold goose eggs!

DC comics implies that the Christian God is real. The Phantom Stranger, and Spector being two characters who are implied to be angels. They also have shown for both Heaven and Hell to exist with characters like Swamp-Thing.

So long as they respect other cultures and beliefs.

>DC comics implies that the Christian God is real.

As does Marvel with the One Above All. Who personally showed up to talk Spider-Man out of making a deal with the fucking Devil. And how often does that fucking happen?

Is this official? I want to see JJ's shrine dedicated to Spidey.

Daredevil is Catholic not Christian

Wait spidey is a christian?

>What are your thoughts on religious heroes
Fun, though everything's bad in excess. I want characters like the Christian Vampire in Astro City, not "Being Catholic Man."
>the no kill rule?
Essential for being a hero and not just a comic book character.

That's like saying a steak is beef, not meat.

>no kill rule?
wrong hero.

>Why do religious people seem to believe that it's impossible to have strong morals or resilience being a believer?
find me one society that works well without religion.

>Muh religion is for unenlightened morons.
Go be euphoric elsewhere, you Godless heathen, atheists are the fucking worst.
History's greatest minds were devout Christians, and it is only thanks to religion we have even come this far, because it sure as hell wasn't religion that was keeping people illiterate and dumb.
Also Atheism is responsible for more deaths and atrocities than Christianity.

Attached: Galileo_Galilei_1.jpg (1024x768, 157K)

>History's greatest minds were devout
Fixed.

Separation of church and state. What modern government still operates on their faith?

America
Britain
Russia (formerly)

>Also Atheism is responsible for more deaths and atrocities than Christianity.
Bad Bait.

Attached: E06AF209-E631-44DD-9EC3-CA082296AB69.jpg (2048x1948, 757K)

He’s also irish instead of white.

Attached: 4D2DBAD8-3F9B-4CB3-BA13-BCB1BD22B4C5.jpg (638x965, 92K)

>Also Atheism is responsible for more deaths and atrocities than Christianity.

Two words: "deus vult".

Gotta commend him for at least adding bait of his own, after taking such obvious bait himself.

>America
>implying
>Britain
there are two major religions (with Christianity in a bad shape, I'll give you that, but that's not important for my argument) right now. it's hardly a nation without religion.
>Russia (formerly)
yeah, formerly. Because it went horribly
we're talking about morality, not about politics. please don't move the goalpost.

You can fuck women all you want it's still gay

I don't know who's baiting who anymore. This is 4D baiting, people.

Yeah well at least you can say "I've tried to kill him and it just doesn't work"

>"Muh Crusades!"
Ah yes, the 1.5 million soldiers on both sides vs the the 150 million under the Godless regime of communism

Personally, I once stuck a hairbrush handle up my vadge and gave myself a huge cut.

>blaming communism in atheism
The funny thing is, some people actually believe in this.

>Thor and Hercules
They could technically be seen as aliens.

>(citation needed)

All religions are legit in 616.
The real question comes in the form of “why don’t Kahn and Murdock ever question the fact that their gods never show up to help them?”

Like, that would piss me off if a god I don’t worship was doing more for me than my own patron diety.

Unless God came from Earth (which we know he didn't by virtue of creating it in the first place) he too would be considered as alien.

>religious heroes
I don't really care much either way, i'm not super religious myself (though I do believe) so it doesn't bother me when they do or don't. It can and does lead to some great stories though which is always a treat. At the very least it's dumb for a character who has literally seen gods to not at least believe that they're a thing, though like pic related it's fine if they just don't deem them worthy of worship
>no kill rule
Once again, I don't really mind it either way. Some heroes kill and some don't, getting hung up about it is autistic desu.

Attached: 1550471357735.png (800x494, 829K)

Can't have fascism and totalitarianism without it bub, one must first be an atheist to pleasantly conceive it.

Attached: Not even the father of liberalism and tolerance wanted to tolerate atheists.jpg (984x1138, 471K)

you're the one moving the goalpost. you asked what societies work well without religion.

the answer is that most societies have removed religious laws a long time ago.

To go even further, the happiest countries in the world, denmark, sweden, and others all have majority non-religious populations. these are wealthy, first world countries with low amounts of crime, low amounts of poverty, high happiness ratings. they succeed in every possible metric for success and do so largely without religion.

case closed. no one needs god unless already addicted.

Tell that to Italy

stop being retarded. hitler was deeply religious and used religion extensively to support his authority.

>Comparing a group that killed cause of religion vs a group that happened to be a religion but killed for other reasons
Stop making Christians look so retarded

Mussolini and his leading Fascists were anti-clericals and atheists.
>Hitler was deeply religious and used religion extensively
No he wasn't, he was like you in that he was "enlightened by his own intelligence", he despised Christianity and religion and worked to undermine it in his Country.
Listen chucklefuck, just by itself the Soviet Union through 1922 and 1991 under Marxist-Lenin communism had Atheism be the official state doctrine and used this ideology to advocated the suppression and purging of other religious beliefs with the death count being between 12 to 20 million, it was a religions reason.

Attached: 1555963252152.jpg (642x792, 36K)

the state religion at the time wasn't atheism, it was stalinism. they killed other religions for the exact same reason that the crusades happened. other religions were a threat to the state religion's power.

as for hitler, he used endless religious phrases in his speeches and "mein kamph" on top of coaxing the catholic church into being one of his biggest supporters. you may respond with "hitler didn't believe exactly what I believe so he's an atheist!" but that's retarded and you know it.

I don’t despise religion, I legitimately came into this thread to defend religious capeshit characters. I just happened to find a retard along the way.

>Mussolini and his leading Fascists were anti-clericals and atheists.
>we're talking about morality, not about politics. please don't move the goalpost.
>Implying Italy was ever not religious as fuuuck.

Christianity is a large umbrella group, under which a number of factions are definitely retarded. Defending the umbrella while ignoring the wastes of space inhabiting underneath is pathetic.

Be careful not to cut yourself on that cast iron katana Fedora Warrior

For me, I feel you shouldn’t kill, or at the very least, kill outside the law. You should just complain to the justice system instead. And to heroes not willing to hire decent prosciutors.

>the state religion at the time wasn't atheism, it was stalinism.
>"But it isn't real Atheism!"
Kek. No. The Stalinism state policy targeted the bourgeoisie. Saying that Marxist-Leninist atheism isn't Atheism is like saying Catholics and Baptists don't stem from Christianity and in the book "Soviet Union: Policy toward nationalities and religions in practice" it claims Marxist-Leninist atheism as their religious doctrine and not "Stalinism", basically you were either an atheist or a Jew or you were gulagged.
Believe what you will but Hitler was very vocal about his criticism and rejection of religion, he used the guise of a Christian as a tool to win the election, afterwards once he was in power things went about quite differently.

I didn't say you despised religion, I said Hitler did to dispel your idea that he was religious to push your argument that Atheism is in any way superior to Christianity rather than just as fallible.
>he was like you in that he was "enlightened by his own intelligence".
That was the only similarity I drew, though I should have used a period rather than a comma before continuing with the rest of my post. I'm just assuming a smug superiority here, not that you are Hitler in every regard. Being euphoric like him doesn't mean you're also a vegetarian, etc.

I'm not that poster, user, and I'm just going by "The Vatican and Italian Fascism, 1929-32: A Study in Conflict". Mussolini and his entourage, much like Hitler and his, all shared irreligious, anti-clerical and atheist opinions and views and applied them to the ways they ran their office.

My entire argument stems from and that the idea that Atheism is inherently the superior choice for intellectuals and those that don't subscribe are clearly feeble-minded is wrong. I'm not here to talk morality and politics inadvertently come up because of religion's inherent ties with it.

>Yeah well at least you can say "I've tried to kill him and it just doesn't work"
Then other heroes would say "You TRIED to kill him!? You've gone off the deep end, I'm sorry but we have to stop you" and you'd get some hero civil war thing between people who think the would-be killer is right and others who didn't, or it would be a short arc of some heroes helping him escape penalty which causes friction in the teams they're a part of. It would either end in Injustice or that one Super Sons with future Tim Drake Batman.

MCU does it well since the heroes only kill when there's almost no other choice.