Did kids actually enjoy the garbage Jimmy Olsen comic? Not even Jack Kirby could make it remotely decent

Did kids actually enjoy the garbage Jimmy Olsen comic? Not even Jack Kirby could make it remotely decent.

Attached: 9781401288853.jpg (400x582, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata/1966.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because Jack Kirby couldn't write. It was pretty good before Kirby took over.

Yeah it had its moments. The Dom Rickles issue was weird

Attached: Jimmy_Olsen_138.jpg (400x596, 67K)

I never read an issue, but the covers make it look entertaining as hell!

Some issues were better than others.

you shut the fuck up fourth world was GOAT

Attached: 1541318772633.gif (536x440, 156K)

It got really weird and not in the good way

Attached: supercloning.jpg (500x517, 136K)

Whar did he meant?

Project Cadmus was making clones of Superman, and Jimmy Olsen too for some reason but they make them in miniature. All the clones were aware of their condition. Also Superman colaborated with the project

Attached: Rei_Ayanami_line.gif (500x385, 1011K)

Well, yeah..Kids didn't have the unrealistic expectations that comic readers today have. "Oh, cool, Jimmy's in a dress! Hahahahaha!" "Hey, check it out, Jimmy's marrying a ape!" "Holy crap. Jimmy's getting pegged by Lucy Lane!!!"

Both the Jimmy Olsen and the Louis Lane comics used a colossal amount bait for their covers. A lot more than the mainline series. They must have not been selling that well before they became the 50’s version of clickbait.

weird = not funny

Jack couldn't be funny unless he was doing a parady with Stan

Attached: jack-kirby-stan-lee-not-brand-echh-fantastic-four-3.jpg (983x1475, 723K)

The Mountain of Judgment was the tightest shit, but overall the Newsboy Legion/Guardian stuff is the weakest part of the Fourth World Saga

Lois Lane and Jimmy's book sold in the hundreds of thousands. The Superman Family books alone outsold everything else (since World's Finest was considered a Superman Book and Adventure Comics was a Superboy/Legion book and also considered Superman)

>1966

>average sales of Superhero comics (the year before Marvel broke into the top ten)

comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata/1966.html

Batman DC 898,470
Superman DC 719,976
Superboy DC 608,386
Lois Lane DC 530,808
Jimmy Olsen DC 523,455
World's Finest DC 513,201
Action Comics DC 491,135
Adventure Comics DC 481,234
Justice League DC 408,219
Detective Comics DC 404,339
Metal Men DC 396,506
Spider-Man Marvel 340,155

Attached: 1000 Jimmys.jpg (934x1406, 350K)

Some of the early issues were entertaining as hell. Either way, it's very readable

Attached: Alien Alterations!.jpg (1883x2817, 516K)

good to see someone with taste around here

Is this monthly? Either way, whoa

What are these ads from?

Yep, those are EVERY MONTH, averaged

A library book I tried to scan but it was taking too long and difficult to get the quality to looked good, I figured I might as well buy the book and do it properly if I was going to do it all, only to find it't totally out of print. It's a collection of the non-Kirby (early part of the run) of the Olsen stories.

Attached: KIC Image 0001.jpg (2572x2050, 616K)

man I miss old-school covers, New Super-Man did variants around that theme and they were fantastic, shame they don't make that a month's variant theme once in a while

Attached: New_Super-Man_Vol_1_5_Variant.jpg (1988x3056, 1.27M)

>Metal Men used to sell nearly 400K
>Just barely less than Detective Comics

Oh how the times have changed.

It was more than... every current Batman book together, I think?

>Kids didn't have the unrealistic expectations that comic readers today have.
The industry should move on away from the current readership if it wants to survive, honestly

Based. FUCK OP

Eat shit, op

This. I do feel that the second half of Kirby's run on Jimmy Olsen faltered, but it was still a solid run.

He obviously mainly cared about introducing the New Gods in the run and when that had reached its conclusion he wasn't interested as much. Same thing when Mr. Miracle became a regular superhero comic.

That Asbestos glove looks like early Infinity Gauntlet

Olsen and Barry Allen had loads of transformations Morrison said this was the weed era of the silver age.

What would be consider the second half?

If you think about it, transformations are just an easy way to come up with a story, specially for a speedster.

Even back in the 90s and 2000s, we used to have 40-80 issue long runs on D to Z listers. People today don't appreciate quality of writing. It's all about muh canon and characterfaggotry.

>only the power of Ditko could catch up to DC
And they say Jack was the King, pff

How much weed do you think old Stan was smoking in his hayday?

Attached: stan and sasha 1544866584087.jpg (501x501, 48K)

Hey I own this issue. Neat

None, Stan seems like a coke man. The drug of the workaholic

Weed and hallucinogenics were the drug of 70's Marvel like Gerber and Starlin

>Metal Men DC 396,506
Jesus christ, it wouldn't even sell 30k nowadays

Attached: 1534886677936.png (497x732, 483K)

It's like looking at how well Legion of Super Heroes did in the 80's

Or in the 90's were the only way DC could enter the top 10 was to kill Superman or break Batman