What went wrong with Rachel?

What went wrong with Rachel?

Attached: Uncanny X-Men 199.jpg (1988x3056, 1.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maddy_Prior
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Marvel brought Jean back. Big mistake

literately every single thing

Unlike everything else in his run, Claremont had pretty much no idea what to do with her as a character beyond 'she's the new psychic of the team!' and an excuse to explore his mind domination/bdsm fetish. It's why he wrote her out with basically no fanfare and only reintroduced her in Excalibur once he had a better handle on what he wanted to do with her.

Rachel, Hope, Madelyne and Jean are literally the exact same character. Marvel should just roll them into one by forcing them to combine psychic energies by some event and be done with it. Jean already stole a portion of Madelyne's soul.

When you arc is "damaged person tries to get better" then your story has a natural conclusion. Her character should have been retired after Alan Davis's run.

This is exactly right. Really out of character for Claremont but his ideas for her began and ended with putting a character from the DoFP world on the team. All I remember of her is fetish scenes, a different equally shitty costume in every issue (often including leg warmers) and crying because her alt universe past dad's wife is pregnant and it's... a boy. Claremont pretty much admitted defeat when he wrote her out with a big dramatic hook like she would be back next issue for drama but she was actually written OUT.

The best part is Jean was never interesting to begin with and the worst character on the Second Genesis team

So do we know what the original idea with Madelyne was? I remember hearing that at some point she was going to be revealed as an illusion from Mastermind which kind of appears inn a truncated form in the issue where she and Scott get married. And it's a great a parallel with him tricking Jean the same way.

Attached: Madelyne_Pryor.png (296x337, 181K)

She existed

According to basically everyone who was close to Claremont at the time (including Ann Nocenti and Louise Simonsen), what we got was what was planned from the beginning: Madelyne is exactly who says she is. All the fake-outs were Claremont just invoking classic soap drama to drum up interest.

Jean coming back/X-factor taking Scott out of retirement meant that no one was going to be able to get out of the game for good.

Her name is a reference to Vertigo. A major part of that plot is the protagonist falling in love with a woman nearly identical to another one that he was tasked with following. The woman is named Madeleine.

Literally can't get off her leash.

Pretty sure she's named after the singer from his favorite band. Especially since he already used the name long before for a character that had nothing to do with Vertigo.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maddy_Prior

Attached: Untitled.png (566x295, 338K)

I don't think Chris understood the point of Vertigo if he lifted that plot to give Scott a happy ending.

Can anyone tell me if Excalibur is worth reading as part of my Claremont read through?

>Marvel should just roll them into one by forcing them to combine psychic energies by some event and be done with it
They could be their own team. The JEEEEAAAAN Team. "By our powers combined!" and then they turn into some super saiyan ultra-OP Thanos-tier-only good character they can whip out for Events.

Jean didn't stay dead.

She tried to kill 3 times in a row

Yes and no. The first 12 issues and A Sword is Drawn/Mojo Mayhem is worth reading but everything goes to hell with Crosstime Capers, even though there are two issues (#21-22) that are MASSIVELY important, as far as Shadow King getting his name "Shadow King" and setting up a bunch of plotlines Claremont intended to lead into UXM #300 but never got to happen due to Claremont being forced out (in particular, Shadow King runs the Hellfire Club not Shaw or Emma and the fact that he played a huge role in the rise of the Sentinels in the Days of Future Past timeline and personally oversaw Rachel being turned into a Hound, because Rachel and Kitty were destined to go back in time and mess with Shadow King, causing him to become obsessed with Rachel's hound outfit and breaking/enslaving her once Jean gave birth to her.

She just kinda had her story finish and no one knew what to do with her. happens to the best of us

It's fun and Alan Davis art is very good but it's also extremely Claremonty.

Read only the Alan Davis issues. He was behind a lot of the plots from that run, so the style is Claremont Light. The first run (1-24, more or less) is a lot better than the second one (42-67). Just read the Special Edition, which sets the tone to the whole thing.If you like that, go ahead and read the rest.

Attached: Excalibur_Special_Edition_Vol_1_1.jpg (398x599, 91K)

Did you take this from those Columbia papers? I've recently began re-reading those Uncanny Masterworks and they are far better than I remember. I assume the translation I was reading them in was shit, but I grew up on the reprints of those in my country to the point I only know good comics because I had to acquaint myself with non-cape stuff so the guys at my country's LCS would actually talk to me and save me the reprint paperbacks that were coming out and were super sought off in the 90s.
As far as I care, this, Doom Patrol and Animal Man by Morrison and Daredevil and Batman by Miller are the absolute top big two comics will ever reach (as far as "traditional capes" go at least) and I wanna immerse myself as much as I can in Chris' weird fetishistic shit.

>She just kinda had her story finish and no one knew what to do with her. happens to the best of us

I just wanted to talk about some Claremont X-Men in order to avoid my existential crisis, not to sink further into it.

>Madelyne
>the one Jean clone who, despite being a literal Jean clone, is the only one with a distinct motivation that supports on-going appearances
>exact same character
Maddie deserves better than being shackled to the superhero equivalent of oatmeal.

Wait, so when Shadow King specifically targets Rachel and Kitty in Claremont's mid-00's Excalibur and even mentally gives them leather costumes, it was Chris making a nod to his older works?

Because that is kinda cool