What are times when comics or cartoons actually spoke truth?

What are times when comics or cartoons actually spoke truth?

Attached: 890ea8166aa4b09d0e97628772b8994c.png (2111x1677, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4V4IEV8l-gA
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAntiNihilist
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Perramus

Attached: Perramus1-038.jpg (1200x1550, 298K)

And? What is so bad about emotions simply being chemical reactions? Those chemical reactions are there to emerge into more complex purposes.

Obligatory

Attached: 103.jpg (480x608, 70K)

Love isn't just one chemical reaction, it's an emergent property of many reactions. Not that it's magic or anything but as biological machines go love is a pretty pleasant program to be running.

In Rick's nihilistic worldview, science is just as pointless as any other endeavor. Why would he tell Morty to focus on it?

In all other episodes, Rick treats science as a means though which he can indulge in hedonistic experiences, not as some kind of idealized end unto itself.

This seems to me like one of those moments where Rick doesn't actually believe what he's saying here, but he says it anyway in order to make others feel inferior to him. This is something he does often throughout the series.

I take offense at the apparent suggestion a dog's death is somehow especially undignified compared to our own.

Rick is the smartest person he himself knows, and he knows he is a mess. That's pretty bleak.

>thinking that a concept as complicated as love can be explained in 2 sentences

Attached: 1530557647472.jpg (475x476, 71K)

>All knowledge is based on that which we cannot prove.
How does that invalidate Donald's reaction? If anything, that's even more nihilistic.

Nihilism does not equal pessimism.

Perhaps it's not just the search but the very desire for meaning that makes people unhappy.

>He doesn't understand

Attached: 1555066260529.png (600x1257, 1.06M)

Rick's a pathological crybaby who vents out at everything that hurt him while wearing a thin mask of pretending to be above it. None of his motivations are logical and none of his world-views are thought-out. That's the whole point of the character. He wields his big brain around like a particularly sharp rock. There's no subtlety to him, very little wit, and certainly no philosophy of thought. Just a bunch of shit he says within certain contexts with the hopes that you're too star-struck to ask how they tie together to form a coherent world-view.

>Nihilism is not pessimism
Okay, how is Mickey's answer any less pessimistic than Donald's? In light of unknowability, "Will you fight, or die like a dog?" comes off to me as self-deluded. If the truth is impossible to know, what is Mickey even propose we "fight"?

A better answer, I think, to Donald's existential crisis is something like "Does this debase our conceptions of freedom and love, or does it elevate the "absurd" acts of chemicals which allow us to experience these things in the first place?"

>"Will you fight, or die like a dog?" comes off to me as self-deluded.
You can call it what you want, the will to power is a force of pure creativity. The will to being a whiny bitch is a force of becoming an irrelevant NEET.

>If the truth is impossible to know, what is Mickey even propose we "fight"?

I guess he just means "live".

>NEET

So I looked it up and I finally understand.

I guess it's not 'neat' to be a 'neet', huh? Ha ha ha ha!

>The Virgin Rick Sanchez vs the Chad Carl Brutananadilewski

Attached: C35C4777-C6CD-458A-A953-BB18D49DDB02.jpg (480x360, 97K)

But if one accepts what Mickey is saying as true, both the ubermensch and a NEET are still delusional. I'd rather spend my time trying to explore and accept what is objectively true than worry about how others want to brand me.

I wish metalocalypse had 1/10th the popularity that R&M has. The show was fantastic and the dialogue hilarious, with characters that aren't mopey existential dildos 24/7.

Ya'know looking back, Aqua teen hunger force and maybe even sealab had this underlying tone of bleakness but the characters dont dwell on it, all the archtypes and personalities are in a vacuum but the jokes are never setup to mantra on about depression or existentialism before a fade to black. Much better messege for people, the world keeps turning. Shows like Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman are terrible in that regard. Nihilism is tricky.

Attached: tumblr_npdyexXFK91rl3tlpo2_500.gif (500x281, 1.69M)

I couldn't give a dick if love is just a chemical reaction
nothing feels better than having a companion

>nothing feels better than having a companion

Attached: darkalotti.png (1918x1152, 844K)

I unironically can't see how love being a chemical reaction devalues it.
Should I start using Reddit so I can be enlightened the right way and become an epic free thinker just like the others?

Me neither, it’s just proof love exists

>epic free thinker just like the others?
The really funny part is, the people that say shit like that are usually doing so to be part of a group for companionship. Because when you're with a group of people, that feels nice.

>when you're with a group of people, that feels nice

Attached: Tiger_welps.jpg (396x276, 31K)

The point of Rick's character at first was that he was a jaded asshole who, while being undeniably smart, was ultimately a hypocrite when it came to giving advice or life lessons. He acts like love being a chemical reaction devalues it but still shows signs of love throughout the series, he shit talks God then prays to him when he thinks he might actually die, etc. I think the side of the fandom that fellated him went to the writers' heads in season 3.

>Rick doesn't actually believe what he's saying here, but he says it anyway in order to make others feel inferior to him.
That's basically his character. Rick is kind of a shallow fool who just happens to be a particular kind of intelligent.

>thinking that it can't

Attached: 1527883086098.jpg (963x1024, 74K)

user, you're here with us, for all that entails. At least you're interacting with people, that is always a plus in my book.

>interacting with the mentally unstable degenerates of the world
Not him, but; Observe, never participate.

Seeing as how nihilism is the hot new trendy thing when writing characters' beliefs (r&m,bojack horseman,etc.) Are there any characterd who happen to be on the opposite end of the spectrum and are "enlightened" (the only character who comes to mind is danny but i haven't read his stuff so i cant say for sure)

Attached: IMG_20190430_060704.jpg (504x291, 21K)

I don’t know, Steven Universe? He’s peppy

What do you consider the opposite of nihilism?

Attached: z3i8X.jpg (1235x766, 404K)

Not him, but reasonable hope, I guess.

“[Fenneko] like hates me, hates me. You don't gotta lie, 'cause I don't really care either way.”
“If [sucking up to Ton] keeps him from acting like a caveman, maybe all of us are the winners that day.”

Not anyone's first choice but was a breath of fresh air when its revealed that shes hyper aware of the dynamics around the office and tries to help everyone out by pleasing the boss so he doesnt take out his anger on everyone else. Resonates with me, nobody likes downer self-centered faggots.

Attached: tsunoda-aggretsuko-6.26.jpg (210x240, 15K)

Attached: Supes like dogs.png (432x733, 511K)

The buddhist belief that even tho life is suffering doesn't mean we cant find and embrace in the beautiful parts of it and live peacefully its basically a respective contrast to the bleak outlook on life that nihilism offers

Unreasonable Hope.

Ironically the most real show I watched this decade.

Attached: Kamina, the things worth believing in.jpg (1200x983, 385K)

Sounds boring, isn't science supposed to exist in order to make human lives better and such? I mean for what other reason would it even exist?

They could have easily written her to be a smug snake. Ended up being the hero the office doesn't need but deserves.

It can be only explain whit a song.
youtube.com/watch?v=4V4IEV8l-gA

Enlightenment takes effort, is easier to just be a sync and call yourself a nihilist.

>focus on science morty
>be better than me morty
>you are a retard who will never be able to tie his own shoes propperly morty
anyone else tired of this shit?

>Typical edgy shit some teen who read the wiki article on nihilism concludes
>The truth
Is this the power of the Rick and Morty IQ?

Attached: 64545756.png (584x717, 323K)

>In all other episodes
not really, there are episodes in which rick risks his life only to work in some invention
this show is inconsistent as fuck

post characters who could call out rick

Attached: Duckman-and-Honey-Chicken-cartoons-36050506-320-240.jpg (320x240, 16K)

A man's struggle is an end within of itself.

Because Rick's aptitude for science turns him nearly into a God.
If someone was able to love so much that they become a God, I'm sure Rick would at least respect them enough to not disrespect them to their face.

Here you go faggot tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAntiNihilist

Then why can't he fix all of his problems

Attached: 89BA51D9-28A5-4B2C-883B-667341BF6693.png (559x896, 710K)

Easy, that's because...
hmm

>objective true

Attached: D8886D37-641D-4D3D-923C-692A367C2F48.jpg (480x262, 30K)

>...Well, it depends on what you mean by "love", you see...

Attached: ded7eabe7a8e.jpg (400x300, 64K)

>*UUURP* let go of me!
If you love something, you should let it go, but no homo, bro, you should love yourself
>what the fuck are you talking about you *UUUURP* inbred bird person looking motherfucker?
My mommy's coitus is none of your concern, but what is your concern is the inbred... of the mind bread, and broomstick, you're a psyche sandwich
>oh god you're one of those spiritual dimension hoppers, huh? M*UUUURRP*orty this jackass is eating our ticket home
>a-a-aw jeez rick I I I dunno this, this is kinda karma for, for all the shit you've done, you know? Maybe we should hear him out
>morty don't humor him that's how they get their
Karma, and your friend here has his just desserts coming to him in the form of sweet karmalkzed philosophical debate to cleanse his chocolate factory. And the olfactory is smelly on this one. Tell me, drunken hedhehog, what doth life?
>life is meaningless and god isn't real, next
>and what's next is a lifetime of sufferitude for that attitude, bucko, cause I'm about to drop some solzhenitsin on your aspergeritsen grandson here. Little shakashawa, tell me... have you cleaned your room?
>I I don't see what, see what that has to do with anything
>it has to do with how you do, and you do you, homie, just as long as you keep yourself sorted out, because when you sort yourself out, then you can dish it out
>... huh. Far out.

Attached: taste the pain.png (500x568, 111K)

>I think the side of the fandom that fellated him went to the writers' heads in season 3.

Really? S3 honestly felt like the most anti-Rick seeing as how a lot of the key episodes all have the main character more overtly realize that though Rick is smart his philosophy is ultimately not the path to happiness.

Optimism

Carl was right.

Are those suppose to be wojack eyes?

fuck outta here, taco

Dog.
Rat.
It's funny how the poverty we imbue unto animals shames us to our own demise. kys if you prefer not to live.

incompatible crossover, but I recognize the attempt made

Rick haters genuinely think Pickle Rick was glorifying the things they hate about Rick rather than lampooning him harder than Ahab with a railgun

This is because the logical continuation of Donald's text would be something along the lines of what Rick says in OPs post. The problem is that consciousness is a fickle thing; in contemplating ontology, we find that it is impossible to PROVE with objectivity that anything exists or doesn't exist. One could say that existence is not a predicate but even the simply act of this presupposes that truth lies in reason and right reason.

The fundamental misconception that most science centric "reductio ad lucem" adherents have is that they apply their reductio ad absurdum - in terms of chemical and biological process - only to the maximum of their preconceived notion of reality. In that sense, Donald's mistake and hypocrisy is that he is proliferating information, with haughtiness, that he presumes to be the be all, end all of scientific argument when, in fact, he is barely scratching the surface. Reduced to proper absurdity, we can barely conceptualize our consciousness and ergo perceive reality. All we can be certain of is that our consciousness exists; we cannot even be certain the degree.

Attached: 1555309875467.jpg (2000x788, 335K)

>implying anything is objective

Ur mam objectively succed muh digg lul

The point is that people romanticize emotions too much and consider them more important than logic and rationality. Feelings resulted in the Salem witch killings, for one.

They usually are more important

how could she observe something that doesn't exist?

Ya das wut she said bout her respec fr u LEL

if you don't challenge everything you accept as true you'll never reach the truth, thats what Mickey means by fighting, to constantly struggle against the human epistemological limitations rather than resign to what you assume to be their hard limits

:(

>Be me
>go to one of the best schools in the country
>stumble upon R&M
>watch
>"man, this sure is some bullshit science but fucking hell! That part, when he shoved those seeds up his ass sure was entertaining"
>same day looking at the fanbase for the first time see that comment
>"By the jove! Finally a show that challenges my intelligence, it's extraordinary how it also manages to put so much philosophy into the plot."
>think how this might ironically be one of the most accidentally truthful opinions by anyone ever

Everything you do is a result of emotions, reason can only help you decide how. You will not find any meaning to anything purely rationally

The bush wizard was your dad Mordi!