Thoughts on the MCU incarnation of Doctor Strange?

Thoughts on the MCU incarnation of Doctor Strange?

Attached: doctor-strange1.jpg (1000x563, 297K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mM5qUzi3yio
youtube.com/watch?v=42xdx4MZALQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

/ourguy/

One of my MCU Faves

Would've preferred Joaquin Phoenix, but Cumbersomesnatch is okay. What I do really like is his costume, though.

In regards to his movie, I thought it was so-so. Didn't like the China pandering (The Ancient One, MAGIC IS JUST SCIENCE FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION! as opposed to outright occultism) and the terrible jokes. Supposedly the latter is a result of the original cut having virtually no humour and much more prominent horror elements, but test audiences hated it.

He's alright. I think he has alot of potential if his movie was anything to go by. Watching End Game soon but does he still carry the non killing pledge in it?

>science from another dimension
>occultism
they both could be the same thing

His costume is infinitely better than the comics.

I guess? Does the Hippocratic Oath extend to alien life forms?

It's always been vague but I assume it does. I would be happier if he doesn't kill though. MCU needed one of those.

He blows up some stuff and holds back a tidal wave. He's only in it for about 10 minutes.

Boring, silly, Cumbersnatch is an uggo, visuals are lazy, dialog is dull, entire character and his whole shtick are dumbed down for normies.

But the comics still exist, I just go back and reread my faves.

Non comic reader

His movie was pretty weak in my opinion and I wasn't a fan of Cumbersome but I thought he was fantastic in the Avengers movies and like someone else said, his costume is amazing (looking back it's kinda unreal how bad most of the costumes looked in the past, especially Cap Americas...it honestly just looks really cheaply made)

I would watch another movie with him if it had a decent premise now that he's fleshed out more, the idea of a ultra powerful mage is one of the most interesting to me and one I want to see with great special effects in action the most

>Ancient One realizing she must give up the Stone because she puts her trust in her future pupil
>Strange and Tony sharing one more look of acknowledgment
loved this shit

While his introduction movie was by the books, as a character I like him. He has only been enhanced with every subsequent movie he's been in, especially his cameo in Ragnarok.

Originally I was on the fence for a sequel, but now I cannot wait for his sequel

I want to see Shuma Gorath in his sequel

Attached: Shuma Gorath is Cute.jpg (1400x1050, 286K)

cmon they didnt want to scare the black people

He's the best live action version of Doctor Strange to date.

From his first movie, I thought he was alright.
Then he was quite entertaining in his Thor: Ragnarok scene.
And THEN he was the MVP of the Thanos fight on Titan.
youtube.com/watch?v=mM5qUzi3yio

Same character as MCU Iron Man, but magic.

Doctor Mordrid (a Doctor Strange movie that had to be hurried reworked into its own thing because the studio lost the rights only a few weeks before it was due to begin shooting) is a quality B-movie and absolutely more entertaining than the MCU Doctor Strange.

youtube.com/watch?v=42xdx4MZALQ

Would be perfect if he actually called out his spells' name. Too animu I guess.

Why do the Chinese government get so bent out of shape about supernatural stuff in foreign films anyway? So they really think that people en masse are going to convert to Catholicism and stage a coup against the government because they saw an American movie with magic and ghosts?

They should have saved Crimson bands of Cyttorak for this movie when they needed to disarm Thanos.

I'm surprised the govt. even allows any foreign media given how oppressive they are.

What government isn't oppressive?

China is a bit more oppressive (and degenerate) than others, at least here I can call you a fag

would have been kino

His movie was some mediocre shit (though I think Harmon's to blame for that one). Dude was good in IW and the little bit he got in Endgame.

Supposedly their reasoning is that they don't want people getting curious about the idea of the paranormal and that subsequently leading to people becoming aware of and reading religious texts that contradict what the CCP tells them about how to live and where their priorities should lie.

Harmon's really only to blame for shit like LOL BEYONCE and LOL WI-FI IN THE BOONIES. He was brought in because Rick and Morty was getting very popular at the time of production and Feige figured he could add some humour that'd appeal to the kids, since test audiences respondedly largely negatively to the original cut of the film, which was much darker and had virtually no humor.

Pretty sure Derrickson said publicly that Harmon told him he'd never actually read a Doctor Strange comic before. Says it all, really.

The wi-fi bit was alright, but all the "humorous" shit relating to Wong was dreadful.
It's a shame since Wong was good in Infinity War.
I really hope they don't bring Harmon back when writing the sequel. Imagine if he was there from the start as a co-writer.

>Next wave of movies is Defenders lead by Strange, Hulk, and Namor
One can dream

>Harmon's only to blame for the shittiest parts of the movie
Shocking.

Was not a fan. I feel he lacked the comic gravitas in favor of MCU snark.

Attached: dr_strange_the_oath_1.jpg (468x711, 122K)

i think the yellow gloves that were in thor ragnarok really makes the costume for me

Attached: download.jpg (194x259, 7K)

What the fuck,thats Jeffrey Combs.
Now i gotta watch that.

Other than a few mistimed jokes in the first movie, he's basically perfect

>MAGIC IS JUST SCIENCE FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION

There it is. Every Dr. Strange/Thor thread. Three replies in, and there it is. MCU's been at it for 11 years and you clowns still don't know what a hard magic system is. Just because you can explain how magic works doesn't mean it's not magic.

Also, Dr. Strange's magic isn't explicitly said to be science, it's described as science in a metaphor so a very secular man like Strange can better swallow it. FFS at least watch the movie if you're gonna make this argument.

Attached: 1479963883496.gif (186x200, 1.98M)

Also, teleports the entire extended cast through multiple portals at once

I kinda get why they scrapped them straight afterwards; they look like dishwashing gloves outside of the comics context.

That wasn't solely him. Wong led a battalion through a sling ring portal and there are hundreds of sorcerers in the Avengers Army/

Strange's reading recs?

The OG Lee & Ditko stuff
Roger Stern's entire Sorcerer Supreme run
Triumph and Torment
Into Shamballa
The Oath

Considering how he set everything up to happen how it does we can assume that's out of the window

Its one of the sequal movie I look foward to watching. Hopefully we'll get to see actual magic like in infinity war and not some material art

Jeffery Combs is pretty based

>Using dishwasher gloves in the first place
Why not latex gloves with black spots...

>Supposedly the latter is a result of the original cut having virtually no humour and much more prominent horror elements, but test audiences hated it.
I don't have a good enough meme image to express my rage. Fuck test audiences.

I think ultimately my big problem with him is that his first movie was an origin so it doesn't really feel like he's been at this game for terribly long, time shenanigans aside. I feel like Strange should have been a preestablished character we learn about through secondary exposure. Kind of like a Dr Who thing. I just don't buy him as Sorcerer Supreme when he's still by all accounts a rookie.

Attached: Doctor_Strange_6534.jpg (400x606, 60K)

Combs voice gives me a boner

Attached: 57710541_p0.jpg (975x780, 380K)

WandaVision = Disney pandering to China by not having "Witch" in the title.

He spent a LOT of time training/practicing while stuck in the loop with Dormommy.

I don't like that answer.

I liked him doing magic in Thor 3 and Infinity War.
I didn't like how in his own movie all the guys just did kung fu but with magic.

I though his movie was boring, and he seemed a bit too Tony Stark.02, but it was all good in IW and he had some of the best scenes. Made me believe Cumberbatch was right for the role.

My only complaint. I just like the idea that Strange is a veteran defender of the universe.