What does Yea Forums think of Moomin?

Attached: papa.jpg (400x292, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FvOpd5kOgrUcWGlddq1mYgTxu7G45-10
desuarchive.org/co/thread/107134092/#107134950
youtube.com/watch?v=QVGposv-RTs
moomin.com/en/characters/too-ticky/
kepregenydb.hu/kepregenyek/mumin-749/
amazon.com/Moomin-Deluxe-Anniversary-Tove-Jansson/dp/177046171X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=complete moomin&qid=1556309538&s=gateway&sr=8-1
amazon.com/Moomin-Deluxe-Anniversary-Tove-Jansson/dp/177046171X/
youtube.com/watch?v=j0YK1VQ5hFU
youtube.com/watch?v=uNHIf_SbffY
youtube.com/watch?v=2NKrw48XWQk
youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZSB8pfBEA
youtube.com/watch?v=_rqZl9W4sWc
youtube.com/watch?v=2G60qiDDzh0
youtube.com/watch?v=M_SXffbQ0cI
youtube.com/watch?v=I2V1Mgm0gpE
youtube.com/watch?v=3pdX74c3UHo
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-YbytjDVKEFvs5rIOEcdVCCh75wZvbXj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have no opinion.

Attached: Thumbs up.gif (445x250, 868K)

Attached: image.gif (620x212, 87K)

I have very fond childhood memories about it.

One of the best franchises.

The new CGI show is decent. Not horrible, but inoffensive.

Attached: Muumilaakso - 2019-04-15 - Kausi 01 - Jakso 08 - Muumipapan kalajuttu.mkv_snapshot_18.01_[2019.04.15 (1920x1080, 2.07M)

I have huge nostalgia for it, but I can't find the moomin comics I used to read online. Did a look up once, and turns out it was something made specifically for the European market and never had an English release. It was an adaptation of the TV series from the early 90s by SEMIC, and they also printed a story about Moominpapas youth (how a bunch of birds were turned into those white monsters who charge up with electricity in a storm, how they tricked a huge monster to sit in a lake and cause a flood so they can set sail in their ship, etc).

kind thinking of it, I can't even find any moomin comics in English to read, like the one posted by OP, either.

Attached: moominpappa_is_my_spirit_animal.jpg (522x534, 80K)

You didn't hear this from me, but...
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FvOpd5kOgrUcWGlddq1mYgTxu7G45-10

Attached: Pot My.png (1920x1080, 2.15M)

Why are britbongs so obsessed with this show?

Attached: 88465A34-B6E4-408E-A74A-8656ED272959.jpg (283x272, 19K)

Attached: Stinky.jpg (300x249, 29K)

Ebin :D Muumit 5/5 spörä lärä

Attached: nuuska apustus.jpg (319x331, 15K)

I'm Finnish and I'm so sorry you had to see this.

Attached: Nyt vittu muumit.jpg (387x368, 20K)

>Dressing up before drowning yourself

Attached: 1514785885576.png (540x440, 297K)

Attached: Moomin paint.png (1920x1080, 966K)

Attached: 1429054515277.jpg (466x617, 289K)

Moominpapa is the greatest.

Attached: moominpapa 1.jpg (500x342, 63K)

>Not murder this time

Attached: Franky cant read.jpg (374x430, 51K)

Papa moomin is a fucking psycho dude

Context of that picture: everything he says in those panels is complete bullshit and he's just making it up. Why? Because he's got a midlife crisis, he desperately wants to be an adventurer, and he hopes such outrageous lies would fool people into thinking that he's living an exciting life.

Attached: moominpappa cave.jpg (1500x1598, 740K)

breddy güdd 10/10

Attached: spürdo.gif (458x438, 103K)

I prefer the explanation that he's an ex crimelord.

Is it ok to buy Moomin merch if you're a 6'4 240 lb man?
Seems like this stuff is for small teenage girls who like wearing pastels and drinking various tea-infused beverages.

Attached: D3uRQ-QU4AYtdOh.png (697x529, 297K)

European autism
Scandinavian cartoon equivalent to Monty Python

It is fine, as long as you are not bankcrupting yourself like this guy is. desuarchive.org/co/thread/107134092/#107134950

It's very niche actually here but the ones that are in to it are super in to it.

Get on my level, bought all this one go from Amazon last week, 26 year old British Male.

Attached: 57127049_286812812269006_8167018873283936256_n.jpg (2048x1232, 484K)

And no I'm not bankrupting myself, it was a joke. It all cost about £200ish when I earn well over £1k a month. Pocket change to me. Worth it. Getting my money's worth out of these pictures it seems.

Attached: 57154368_2207788726202253_6449476131811753984_n2.jpg (1318x1216, 314K)

I think the 2019 show is reviving interest in the franchise and I think that's a good thing.

its comfy

These 2 are quite an item on skype!!!

Attached: tempSaveToFileName.jpg (3072x3218, 1.05M)

Remember to purchase your official moomin sauna skullcap to boil your brain while you sit in a +120 celsius room, hopefully with your naked loli cousin, who is beating your skin with barbed wire.

Attached: 6417892029066_kuva1.jpg (435x297, 30K)

I can't say I care for Snorkmaiden's voice in the English version of Moominvalley

Nips are the one that are obsessed with the moomins, I don't blame them tho

How is this related?

I really like the art style of the original Moomin comics. I don't have anything against the other versions, but they don't have the same energy.

Attached: tove_jansson_self_portrait.jpg (635x800, 224K)

Attached: SniffMyStinkyGroke.jpg (765x510, 65K)

Snufkin does not want to be tied down by gayness.
youtube.com/watch?v=QVGposv-RTs

Attached: Disappoint Snuf.png (1920x1080, 2.13M)

It’s very cute and enjoyable. I like when it’s storytimed here.

>sniffystinkygroke.jpg
I am a literal child for laughing at this but fuck you it was really funny.

>Papa fucking calling it

I still get a laugh out of that strip just thinking about.

It's canon user. SnufMin is life

Attached: OFFICIALMoominxSnufkin.jpg (1131x396, 180K)

Glad someone liked my efforts. And to those that didn't..

Attached: I'll cut you.png (933x671, 614K)

Some of the comics can be rather dark

Attached: Moominsuicide.jpg (244x378, 27K)

Attached: moomin knife.jpg (225x350, 22K)

Whilst others are hilarious

Attached: moomin_7_1400x.jpg (1400x672, 152K)

The anime might be one of my favorite pieces of Japanese animation ever produced.

Attached: Try me.png (446x294, 105K)

Quite ahead of it's time too

Attached: moomin_10_1400x.jpg (1400x607, 167K)

Attached: D4O8pd2XsAA1afV.jpg (564x564, 71K)

Snufkin has a big rod

Attached: Moom3.jpg (1200x628, 123K)

Will you provide her with warmth?

Attached: Ahegao Groke.png (1920x1080, 1.39M)

Kill it.
I don't understand why there are two characters that are the same in the novels. The Groke and 'Lady of the cold' they both do the same thing, freeze things.

He's a little cat bastard

Attached: c2cec2c7-a37b-4298-a9bf-97e6340cbf66.png (338x647, 179K)

Snufkin's father, Joxter, yes. Snufkin's mother is Mymble the elder making Little My and Mymble the younger Snufkin's half siblings.

Snufkin senpai will never notice me...

Attached: 1509666912389.png (723x897, 149K)

Groke's coldness is a personal kind, basically she comes off as cold because she's bad at socializing, despite only wanting warmth and companionship, and freezing everything she sits on.
Lady of the Cold meanwhile, brings the cold to ALL of Moomin Valley and will kill you if you look her in the eye. Basically, she's frostbite or hypothermia, cold that will actually kill you. Or something like that.

every time i see them it reminds me of this furry album

Attached: file.png (479x479, 72K)

>Car Seat Headrest

Did he ever admit to be furry?

Attached: Muumilaakso.S01E02.Kevätlaulu.1080p.WEBRip.mkv_snapshot_18.31_[2019.03.25_04.15.34].png (1920x1080, 1.96M)

I want to fuck Snufkin

My is better.

Attached: Muumilaakso - 2019-04-15 - Kausi 01 - Jakso 08 - Muumipapan kalajuttu.mkv_snapshot_10.46_[2019.04.15 (1920x1080, 2.54M)

She's too much of a snarky bitch for my tastes.

Attached: 4A1kpVgu_400x400.jpg (400x400, 26K)

How hard?

Attached: Muumilaakso.S01E03.Maailman.viimeinen.lohikäärme.1080p.WEBRip.mkv_snapshot_10.18_[2019.03.11_02.41 (1920x1080, 2.9M)

Why does she live with the Moomins?
What does she do in the Winter when everyone is hibernating?
Does her mother not care that My abandoned her?
Why is she so small when she is older than Snufkin?

She spits too

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-04-11-00h44m26s418.png (1280x720, 625K)

>Why does she live with the Moomins?
More peacefull that living with dozens of her little siblings
>What does she do in the Winter when everyone is hibernating?
Also hibernating, although she did seem more active in the anime that one time Moomin woke up.
>Does her mother not care that My abandoned her?
Nope.
>Why is she so small when she is older than Snufkin?
Not enough milk drinking.

Attached: Muumilaakso - 2019-04-15 - Kausi 01 - Jakso 08 - Muumipapan kalajuttu.mkv_snapshot_12.31_[2019.04.15 (1920x1080, 1.5M)

Because she is Little My. If she wasn't so small, she wouldn't be called Little My, but something like Tall My or so.

Is My not short for Mymble? Little Mymble? Which is also the same name as her mother and sister..

Attached: 2e37847237313dc96a8021128e1f71c7.png (273x222, 17K)

Yes, the point is, if she wasn't so little, her name wouldn't be Little.

Attached: MOOM2.jpg (1920x1080, 227K)

I want Moominpapa to give me a spanking too..

Attached: BAD BABY.jpg (320x180, 5K)

Mymble jr is a babe. A BABE.

Attached: Mymble.jpg (236x312, 8K)

Is this a Finish, Swedish or Japanese creation?

Moomin was created in Finland by Finnish writer and artist Tove Jansson who only spoke Swedish. They were successful in Europe from their 1945 creation however their popularity exploded globally in the early 90’s when the new anime aired around the World. There was a previous 60’s anime however Tove hated it so much she asked that it never left Japan, and it never did.

Finnish, made by a swerdsh speaking finnish lesbian.

I was introduced to the Moomins through Jansson's novels. It was only years later that I discovered the comic strips and cartoons.

The thing that struck me most about the Moomin books is how the tone of the series got darker and more melancholy as it went on. The pivot was "Moominland in Midwinter", that introduced a side of Moomin Valley--a very dark and creepy side--that I hadn't seen before. Afterwards, the stories become more and more serious and almost sad in a way. I have to wonder if something happened at that point in Jansson's life to cause such a change.

Moominvalley in November was written after her mom died. The Moomins are still in the island from Moominpappa at Sea, so the whole book is about their absence through their secondary cast.

Dude, you just spent 1/5 of your entire monthly salary on merchandise of a children's book series.

They recently opened a new Moomin theme park in Saitama, near Tokyo.

It's nice.

Attached: 52399.jpg (1280x722, 125K)

Moomin is a way of life.

That actually explains a lot. I never quite understood why that particular novel was written the way it was.

For whatever reason, comic artists from that general geographic region tend to draw like that. Gaia magic, I blame Gaia magic.

>The children were directly influenced by their mother's artistic sensibilities and Tove in particular retained a close connection, only leaving the house at age 28.

>Tove has written that she felt her mother understood her better than anyone else and even toward the end of her life, Tove "always tried to resemble [her] Mother, always tried to draw like [her] Mother." In 1928, at age 14, Tove noted that "Mother has important drawing work. (...) I am waiting for the time when I will be able to help her with her drawings. Mother does so much work by herself."

>Hammarsten-Jansson's death in 1970 profoundly impacted her daughter's writing and it has been suggested that her presence is strongly felt in a number of the books Tove wrote after the death.

>The melancholic Sent i November (1970) deals themes of leaving and loneliness, and is typically considered the most mature of the Moomin series.

>Sommarboken (1972) concerns a young girl whose mother has died and her relationship with her grandmother. Hammarsten-Jansson's death marked the end of the Moomin series of novels and Jansson's literary output became primarily adult-oriented.

this... kind of explains the art style of Stand Still, Stay Silent.

One of them is a lesbian who draws a lot of yuri incest

Attached: Hajime no Muppo.jpg (888x959, 180K)

Don't worry, no one will normalize that anytime soon.

That is really gay.

>inoffensive

Could any version of Moomin be considered "offensive"? It's fucking Moomin

Moomin on the Riviera is about as edgy as the series can get.

Offensive by current manbaby standards, idiot.

Attached: moomin2.png (966x603, 1.1M)

Extremely comfy. I love re-watching the old 90's moomin anime, IMO it has the best cutesy style out of all of the different versions.

Weakness isn't virtue
Strength is not a sin
Just because you fight a giant
Doesn't mean you get to win

What are you quoting? I can sorta see that relate to the part that's from but not really. They let Mr. Brisk win a competition against a walrus but I forget the details

It's a song Donny and Goliath. The point is weakness is not something to be proud of.

cool song

Glad to be of service, promoting obscure shit is my life.

>Because she is Little My. If she wasn't so small, she wouldn't be called Little My, but something like Tall My or so.
now I'm imagining a Thicc My and part of my soul has died in the process

Finnish, but Japan has had a huge influence on the franchise since it ended up being one of the main markets for it

kinda a shame that Moomin has never really been much of a thing at all in the US in comparison though

Moomin isn't even the only European/Scandinavian cartoon influenced by japan. Maya the Bee and Nils Holgersson also got heavy Japanese influences - particularly since they had cartoons done by japan.

Attached: mayathebitch.jpg (1200x1600, 431K)

Went to the Moomin shop in Covent Garden, pretty nice.

tfw the father of the creator of moomin ran away from her and the family

>kinda a shame that Moomin has never really been much of a thing at all in the US in comparison though
Not every thing has to be popular worldwide. Some crazy thought form me to you.

Almost done watching Moominvalley. I think this show has a good blend of the comic's snark and wittiness and the animated show's magic. They achieved something hard - a good looking cgi show - and I love the english voice cast. Matt Berry is the greatest Moominpapa, Snufkin has that gentle, Finnish-accented tone, and Moomin doesn't sound TOO young. I quite like this less flowery-sounding Snorkmaiden, which suits her occasional digs at Moomin.

Only thing I've not digged so far was the Groke - far less ominous and scarylooking, and I feel her story had a much better conclusion in the other show, making her tragic rather than just led out of the valley. That ep felt like more of a Sniff spotlight ep, as he's not giganticallly regular in this show. The Hattifatteners were less menacing too, but led to a very prettylooking ep.

Best ep thusfar has to be the jungle/storytelling ep, so much going on and the cgi really shone. Is there going to be any more, or is 13 eps our lot?

One is the personification of loneliness, the other is the personification of winter.

Now if we could only get them to make a Lord of the Rings animated trilogy based on Tove's illustrations for the swedish edition of the novels.

Attached: LOTR by Tove Jansson.jpg (303x436, 153K)

The contrast between the first books and the last two is really striking. In The Exploits of Moominpappa, the world is bustling with adventure and fun weird characters to meet, while at the start of November, Snufkin sets out into what's described as thousands of miles of silence, the Moomins are gone, and the remaining cast struggles at basic interaction. And holy shit, that seagull graveyard scene.

OBARI AS FUCK

Attached: D1wuUZ6U4AAkDRb.jpg (1080x1920, 275K)

>My Little
>Toy Box
I see what they did there.

Also what the fuck is wrong with that My doll on top left

Giving Moomins weird sidemouths is one thing in the new CG cartoon I can't get over.

for fucks sake, where can I download these from?

you aren't wrong, but until a franchise achieves large scale success in the US it can never truly reach it's full potential

Astérix I GUESS SOLD OKAY MAYBE in the states, but it is mostly big in Europe. And it is successful.

5 seconds later, I understood what you mean. However, "full potential" simply meant "every person who would love to consume ___ is given ___" If nobody in the US wants a european product, appealing to europeans only IS full potential. Sometimes some things just do not appeal to a country.

bless you

Attached: tumblr_o8ixvqRvJe1u8pg83o2_400.gif (325x511, 1.95M)

Attached: 241_DRycSZWUMAEstr5.jpg (752x648, 33K)

>Why does she live with the Moomins?
The Mymble's Daughter brought her with her. Then the Mymble's Daughter disappeared from the books like many of the other characters, but My stuck.
>What does she do in the Winter when everyone is hibernating?
She hibernates in a cardboard box in a cave.
>Does her mother not care that My abandoned her?
The Mymble canonically can literally not keep track of her kids. She probably doesn't even realize that two of them went missing. "Mymble" is a nonsense word that Tove Jansson's college friends used as a euphemism for fuck, the implication is that she sleeps with anybody and pops out kids at an alarming rate. But it's a kids' book, so it's not very overt.
It's a joke, basically a pun on her being Mymble's "smallest child".

>Is My not short for Mymble?
No, it's a joke about her height. "My" is the Nordic pronunciation of the Greek letter mu, and because of that it's also their word for a micron/micrometer. Which is very short.

Of course it's a takeoff of the name Mymble, but it's not meant to be an abbreviation.

Tove Jansson was a Fennoswede, wrote the books in Swedish, and actually wrote the comic in English, as it was originally published in a bong paper called The Evening News, which is now defunct. However, it's likely that she also wrote the comic in Swedish to begin with and then translated it to English herself.

By board rules I am required to drop this, as it is European and made by a lesbian.

i think bisexual

mph

Attached: tove jansson smaug.jpg (711x1031, 458K)

I been raised with the Moomins since the 1970s

The Mymble's Daughter didn't disappear from the books, she appears in the last book, although there she is simply called "Mymble".
Even though I am not sure that's the same Mymble's Daughter as the one from Moominpappa's Memoirs or from the other books, like Moominsummer Madness, desu. It's definitely not the Mother Mymble, cause that one was chunky

Attached: tumblr_oy1egncQZh1u8pg83o1_1280.jpg (680x781, 192K)

It's kino

>The new CGI show is decent
It's look like shit desu

A lot of people outside of burgerland are familiar with Moomins

Noice

No wonder Papa Moomin is such a douchebag

Take off thsoe nostalgia goggles and accept that 3D is viable option for animation.
You're like my mom, who doesn't like the new Mickey shorts because they animate it "weird" and not the old way.

Attached: My in a can.png (1920x1080, 2.03M)

watching the new CGI show right now and gotta say it's soulless

So does he have 2 mouths or 1 massive mouth that covers most of his snout's downside?

Take off your shit taste somewhere else, this 3D it's cheaply done and look like shit.

>my mom doesn't like flash animation
Based mom

This

3D animation is great when you have a big budget.
Gutsy obviously didn't have that.
Also didn't Sophia say that this adaptation they would try to be as closest to Tove's vision and vibe of the books? What I'm watching seems like anything but that

Attached: tumblr_p7g3cx0M2L1u8pg83o1_500.png (496x700, 752K)

1 massive mouth that they can't really convey well in 3d space.

Attached: Muumilaakso.S01E02.Kevätlaulu.1080p.WEBRip.mkv_snapshot_05.44_[2019.03.12_21.45.44].png (1920x1080, 2.4M)

>exciting and awful
"Gee, if there only a soviet nuke space zombie cyborg invasion would happen, i'd use my second amendment to full extent, wouldn't that be cool?"

I'm reading the comics borrowed from the library but it's honestly a...I wanna say, tough read. Maybe it's because older and Euro comic when I'm so used to reading to modern Western/manga sensibilities. You've got here this little snippets of adventures that goes topsy turvy. I often feel I'm just as often bewildered as I am charmed by the individual strips. To be fair, I've only read a book by Tove's brother and a bit of her first comic book. Also, I'm just utterly charmed by Mymble thanks to that storytime an user did a few threads back nd I want to know about her even if I know she won't stick around like her sister My.

Attached: Muumilaakso - 2019-04-08 - Kausi 01 - Jakso 07 - Nuuskamuikkunen ja puistonvartija.mkv_snapshot_15.4 (1920x1080, 2.69M)

Those cups are so cute; you plan to use em?

Thanks, not sure, I guess given how much they cost

I have an Arabia also

Attached: IMG_20190422_011136508.jpg (4160x3120, 3.66M)

Are you talking about these ones? I'm not familiar with them but found the covers by googling. Which story are you looking for, or are you after all of them?

I remember reading some comics on a Moomin magazine as a kid, but I have trouble remembering much about them and I don't think I have them anymore. I also have no idea who drew and wrote those things, but it looked more like the style in the animated series, so it was someone else than Tove.

Attached: Taikatalvi ja Huimapäinen Pikku Myy.jpg (1600x898, 323K)

Attached: 1553554854969.png (1920x1080, 2.37M)

>Tooticky is a girl

Bullshit.

Huutista

Attached: mörkö2.jpg (1440x810, 117K)

moomin.com/en/characters/too-ticky/

She's also modeled after Tove's lover.

She is indeed

Attached: Tove-Jansson-and-Tuulikki-Pietil-tove-jansson-22049709-250-343.jpg (250x343, 37K)

I absolutely love Moomins. Groke is my favourite fictional character.

Attached: groke heart.jpg (400x299, 24K)

>tfw you shipped Snufkin x Alicia as a kid

why does this always happen

Attached: scream.png (800x450, 408K)

One mouth that just gets drawn wherever it needs to be.

How do you guys feel about the edgy first anime?

Quite possibly. The series I had as a kid is this one:
kepregenydb.hu/kepregenyek/mumin-749/

It seems it had many different artists working on it; the story about Moominpapa's childhood was written by Noomi Hebert and drawn by Jukka Murtosaari. It also had a lot of other stuff, I know it adapted a lot from the cartoon at the time (the story about those white wiggly worms, the story where the valley got flooded and they ended up hiking on a floating theatre, the story where Moomin stayed up during winter, from the top of my head). So it's possibly an adaptation of an adaptation of the originals? Either way, I think we are talking about the same thing.

However our local comics in the 90s were notorious for being random compilations of stories and very often they were cut in half before they could finish a storyline. And I cannot find any info on what books they adapted here. Since our local books get cut in half very often, I like to track down the originals to read all the stories they left out, or the endings which are missing.
But for some reason, I can't find any moomin comics to read online, and I've been searching for a while.

Thanks for the information, it helped me find some article that discusses the topic more.
It's easy enough to find copies of the Jansson comics since they've been reprinted a couple of times, but these Semic/Egmont comics are more obscure and nobody seems to keep any kind of database on them. I found one blog discussing which issue of the magazine contains which stories, but its records stop at the point when the blog author quit reading the magazine. Browsed some online stores and library databases out of curiosity too; judging by their catalogs, looks like finding full copies of the stories that were printed only in the magazines would require a lot of effort.

I've seen a couple of Jansson comics scanned, but not full books. As for the Semic comics; I doubt there are a lot of people who'd have both access to them, a scanner, as well as interest to scan them.

Attached: muumilehti1.png (774x447, 606K)

That screenshot is definitely from the story I read. Honestly I'd be fine reading the originals too, but I can't seem to find those either.

has it ever been storytimed??

It's from Muumi -magazine which seems to be our version of the Múmin magazine you got. Apparently a storyline about Moominpappa's youth was printed in late 1993 and early 1994 over here.
I'm not sure what kinds of local websites you've got for online auctions or selling used goods, but those would probably be the best place to find old obscure magazines. Or maybe some store focusing on used books; sometimes they have big collections of magazines too.

Attached: muumi.jpg (1200x1747, 453K)

I have most of my original magazines still, I only sold the capeshit books.

My problem is that the local ongoings were all a smorgasbord of stories, and very often they got cancelled abruptly. So they are missing stories and the last few ones may even be incomplete (TMNT for example got cancelled just before the Black Hole trilogy, Transformers had the first third and last third printed and then proceeded with the middle third but got cancelled before finishing).

So I'd like to read the original version that was localized here, to catch up on the missing stories, or to read them in their original form. However it increasingly sounds like that they were local, European "originals", the same way how our Disney comics were half American, half italian originals published in ongoing magazines. So I can't do the same as with, for example, the Turtles book which sourced mostly Archie TMNT.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to dig up my originals from the wardrobe.

Attached: moomin-is-moomin-snufkin-gay.png (636x475, 285K)

Too much material.

amazon.com/Moomin-Deluxe-Anniversary-Tove-Jansson/dp/177046171X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=complete moomin&qid=1556309538&s=gateway&sr=8-1

>ref=sr_1_1?keywords=complete+moomin&qid=1556309538&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Your search is weak.

Kek Well it works

Ewwwww

Attached: 28158532_128211094672798_5273988641398456320_n.jpg (480x480, 22K)

is there a place where i can read the comics? I've been seeing them a lot lately

Already linked here

Attached: e0c7225e447411fbf750706d76f1e4d4.jpg (500x227, 42K)

Finnish

That link only has like 5 comics, and a shitload of the cartoons.

Then buy this then.
amazon.com/Moomin-Deluxe-Anniversary-Tove-Jansson/dp/177046171X/

>You're like my mom, who doesn't like the new Mickey shorts because they animate it "weird" and not the old way.
Your mom is 100% correct though.

Nigga das kawaii. Treat yoself.
Japanese make the best Moomin merch btw.

>Too-ticky is a bulldagger
Ugh
Why couldn't she have had a cute femme gf to be quite desu

Ninny is cute as fuck when she makes herself visible

Attached: Invisiblechild.gif (500x375, 966K)

I meant Tove.

I mean even in Tove's work she doens't seem like the type to care for convention

Attached: 2132378_1320341416801.91res_500_374.jpg (500x374, 93K)

Any one else have an impressive collection as this?

Deepest lore

Attached: not_where_my_mouth_is.png (398x443, 357K)

I absolutely adore them. I can not recommend pic related enough.

Attached: moom.jpg (1000x586, 505K)

Volume 2, the complete Lars Jansson collection comes out September.

Question from someone who only read the books when just a lad, are comics technically AU?

I guess? Though most of the stories in the novels make their way in to the comics too.

Do you feel lucky?

Attached: Muumipeikko.jpg (655x368, 67K)

anyone got a torrent?

I really need a Moomin mug. Or three.

Attached: 1526505087041.png (960x720, 370K)

The show has always had a special heart in the Swedish people because of the lovely heavily Swedish Finnish accent.
The intro song is even sung by the same guy in Swedish and Finish version.

Attached: groke6.png (435x359, 130K)

Never read/watched anything Moomin, found Moomins on the Riveria online so I'm giving that a shot. So far they're hopping from plot to plot, I'm assuming it's just adapting some of the comics? Also holy crap Little My has an annoying voice in the English dub.

Moomins on the Riviera is a comic book which is what the movie is fully based on. The sexually confused dog is my favourite.

Attached: Moomins-on-the-Riviera.jpg (500x500, 185K)

Attached: snork.jpg (700x225, 57K)

Moominpapa would never do such a thing

Yes, yes you do. You're not a Moomin fan without one.
Three companies make them:
Arabia make ceramic, rhe most famous kind.
Muurla make enamel/metal ones.
Huskup make biodegradable plastic-free travel mugs.

In fact examples of all three are pictured here:

Which is why Tove hated the original 60s anime so much. The characters get drunk, beat each other, have guns and god knows what else.

And yet the opening song is SHIT outside of Japan.

Heavily armed Moomins does make for an interesting side plot.

Attached: get out.jpg (680x474, 43K)

T H I R S T Y

How can you hate the PAAPAAAPAPAAPPAPAPA MAAMAMAAMAMAMAMA?

You just answered your own question.

youtube.com/watch?v=j0YK1VQ5hFU
>just fucking smashes his guitar
What is it with Japan and feeling the need to put in so much crying/fighting/violence?

Attached: moom.png (704x1098, 150K)

Attached: 1419175044358.gif (280x300, 292K)

youtube.com/watch?v=uNHIf_SbffY

She's prettier in the new CG series

>The characters get drunk, have guns
This just sounds like it's based on the comic then.

Of course I agree that domestic violence in the Moomin family is way the fuck off base though.

They're super, super repressed. They desperately need catharsis in things they can watch in private where they don't have to lose face by admitting to having emotions in front of someone else.

Didn't you ever wonder why getting-drunk-as-fuck culture is so prevalent there?

goodnight Yea Forums

Attached: 1490841472192.jpg (1024x1024, 92K)

This is my first time ever watching anything Moomin related.

And might I say... OOF SNUFKIN HAS SUCH A GREAT VOICE.

That's cause they get drunk really easy, due to a genetic defect. I mean like 1 drink and they are in la la land, while us Europeans need 2-3 bottles at least.

I thought it was an Irish accent, it's actually Swedish.

Snufkin generally always has a nice voice, hell, in the 90's anime he was voiced by fucking DIO.

I kinda prefer the old, original Finnish.
youtube.com/watch?v=2NKrw48XWQk

Moomin sounds a lot different in Swedish, the english dub makes him seem like a little kid when he's a teenager

>>Tooticky is a girl
>Bullshit.

I remember watching the 90s cartoon and being exactly this surprised.

She sounds pretty feminine in Finnish.
youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZSB8pfBEA

Is that so??

Cause I've been really into Swedish and Irish accents lately so that must be why I immediately loved it.

I like her Scottish accent in the new CG English version. Suits her.

Attached: tumblr_inline_pq8dyb86RZ1r19n9a_1280.jpg (1280x720, 96K)

Attached: 57488000_185567772427491_551970562818012418_n.jpg (480x480, 27K)

Attached: Untitled.png (455x704, 311K)

youtube.com/watch?v=_rqZl9W4sWc

Why are Moomins parents chocolate flavoured?
Who's the fucker with the surfer hair?

Attached: 1410965392854.jpg (498x588, 46K)

Snufkin always has a pipe in his mouth but I just noticed in this new series it is replaced with a stick of wheat(?)

Attached: 31046EE4-C5D4-49B7-B4E2-985375E8276D.jpg (800x800, 146K)

I’d give him something long and hard to suck on..

Smoking is a no no

Guess it's more children oriented now so they can't show Snufkin smoking 24/7

Actually a good thing as more and more people are not smoking these days now that the boomers are dying off.

Makes sense in terms of the target audience now, but Snufkin is basically the personification of not giving a shit about what people think of him, so him smoking even now or in the future doesn't seem out of character.

Go watch Haibane Renmei.

Attached: a haibane renmei watercolor rakka.jpg (1114x1007, 153K)

And Moominpappa has these midlife crisis moments every single day.

user, no! Moomins are not for lewding!

I believe the surfer hair guy is Snorkmaiden's brother. He appeared very little in Janssons' writings or drawings, and they don't have much of an established appearance for him. The character design seen in the 1990s anime was created and established by that cartoon, because the original works make him look kinda nondescript.
In that clip you replied to, the character design with long yellow hair is based on a scene where Snork's wearing the wig of a judge.

Attached: taikurinhattu-niisku2.png (521x286, 320K)

Based

Is there like some kind of OST for the new CG show? I'm digging some of the background songs.

No, that just makes it cheaper. The *reason* they do it is because it's socially agreed that "drunk people say and do crazy shit", so when they're plastered (or pretending to be) is the only time they can be honest.

A bit off-topic.
When I was a kid the local library had an edition of The Hobbit illustrated by Jansson. I thought at the time that the illustrations were a bit weird, but in retrospect they're really cool and original, especially as anything after the movies are way too derivative off of those designs.

Attached: file.png (726x1052, 1.73M)

There is a soundtrack cd out but it’s just the pop songs with no background music, not even the opening music is on there.

>the original 60s anime
anyone got any links to this?

>Snufkin vs the Groke
I need this

That's Bilbo meeting Gollum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of it has been lost since Tove hated it and VCRs weren't a thing yet. I think nyaa.si has some episodes.

This

>Seems like this stuff is for small teenage girls
I'm afraid I fail to see it.

Attached: pappa-aarre_orig.jpg (586x650, 151K)

youtube.com/watch?v=2G60qiDDzh0

post superior version

I had a Moomin pajamas when I was a kid. My grandma made it for me.

I know, but it looks like Moomin characters

>Misabel's English voice

Attached: 1488061954275.jpg (382x405, 16K)

Their mouths are under their noses. The large nub on the front of a moomin’s face is a nose.

If I hadn't been previously familiar with the character, that voice would've made me assume she was a guy.
...and after googling it now, I just realized her English VA is a male-to-female trans. I suppose that explains the voice.

>hiring men who pretend to be women to pretend to be pretend women
Okay I realize that there's some kind of logic there but Jesus Christ, things have gone way too far.

It just does not add up!

I've heard of duck face but this is ridiculous

Attached: duckin.png (942x674, 299K)

If she wants to be identified as a woman, why the deep voice?

Moomins are fucking real?? I thought I hallucinated when I had the flu as a kid.

The character or the VA?
Comics don't have voices so I don't know what kind of voice the character was supposed to sound like in her original story. This cartoon made her sound masculine, but that's just the cartoon adaptation.
As for the VA: playing Misabel was only a voice-acting gig, and that person doesn't use such a deep voice in normal situations.

I suppose they might've made chosen a trans VA and played up the voice because that particular character had some issues with her self-image. The story where she appeared also had a dog who liked only cats, and some see that as a LGBT allegory (although IMO it doesn't really work well as one, since the dog realizes at the end that he likes dogs after all).

Attached: IMG_0039.jpg (1200x1664, 411K)

Attached: 1541353001754.gif (193x159, 1M)

They are virtual boy real.

He likes a boy dog in the Riviera movie, he gay

Should also point out however Pimple was in love with a female cat who rejected him for being a dog, so Moominmama looks for cats but none are interested in dogs so she finds a dog on the street and bribes him with bones so she can paint him to look like a cat and play with Pimple which he accepts, he can’t speak however because it would give away that he was a dog. All is well until Little My gets him wet and his paint rubs off so he apologises and explains the situation to Pimple who doesn’t care and he loves the boy dog anyway and the two snuggle. I think it’s to illustrate Moominmama’s line:
>It’s better to love something rather than nothing at all.

Could be bi.
Wasn't Tove bi?

Lesbian as far as I know. She did have a very close male friend who she based Snufkin on. He too would disappear for months on end in the Winter months.

>She did have a very close male friend who she based Snufkin on
She was engaged to that dude. Possibly only until she realized that she was a lesbian, but still.

or he was a reverse beard till she stopped caring

youtube.com/watch?v=M_SXffbQ0cI

Attached: My.jpg (500x375, 36K)

>Not posting the best adaptation
youtube.com/watch?v=I2V1Mgm0gpE

Only Russians use hats in sauna

Doubt.

thanks alot!
I see though that the swedish dubs of the Moominvalley seasons aren't there. Anyone know where to get them? There are only a handful of eps i've managed to find online

Can highly recommend Who Will Comfort Toffle?
youtube.com/watch?v=3pdX74c3UHo
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-YbytjDVKEFvs5rIOEcdVCCh75wZvbXj

It has great animation and the music is fantastic, though only in swedish and no subs

Fortfarande fantastiskt.

Thank you.

Not here.

Post them!

>now I'm imagining a Thicc My and part of my soul has died in the process

Time to ruin some childhoods