Has Disney ever sold an IP? Or are they forever eternally bound to the mouse?

Has Disney ever sold an IP? Or are they forever eternally bound to the mouse?

Attached: af.png (2000x1650, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=87bEIrhaaSc
youtube.com/watch?v=HCIn3dXAmno
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I know they sold off power rangers years ago. I think iger was the one who really strted hoarding IPs, when he leaves hopefully theyll sell off some of their IPs like star wars.

Disney will never ever ever sell Star Wars. I could see them selling the Muppets or other smaller IPs, but Disney's gonna own Star Wars until they go under.

Then i hope they like bankruptcy, because they will continue to fuck up star wars because and they will have wasted billions unless they ever do sell it off to someone better suited to the franchise and not hindered by a family friendly values mentality.

Does Miramax count?

They've already made back the money they spent on buying Star Wars.

They make zero profit on it. Their expectations were dashed after theyve proven how badly theyve maintained the series.

If they go under someone would buy Disney's IPs and name and I can see it split away then. The only characters I can't see them ever, ever giving up away from the Disney brand are the mainline characters like Mickey

>zero profit
Merchandise sales, you absolute brainlet.

Walt sold Oswald

>Merchandise sales, you absolute brainlet.
Oh, you mean the sequel wars shit no one buys?

Attached: 92435399-36B7-4B2C-9AEA-1762BC36D9AD.jpg (960x720, 153K)

They sold the stuff they had bought from Saban back to them, like Power Rangers.

>They make zero profit on it. Their expectations were dashed after theyve proven how badly theyve maintained the series.

Wishful thinking on your part.

Let go of your anger, user.

Wasn't that more it got taken away from him?
Either way he didn't have much of a choice

>Zero profit
They bought it for cheap.

>wishful thinking
Which is also reality in this case, they expected star wars to do great and not become franchise poison like it has become under their watch

Posting a fully stocked shelf of toys next to 2 other fully stocked shelves proves what, exactly?

I will never not be mad over what happend to star wars, the future was supposed to be better than this
>4 billion
>cheap
Also reminder they only made back that 4 billion late last year, and with franchise interest and merch sales at all time lows the whole fiasco of acquiring the brand was pointless for them

The Last Jedi, which is so-called poison, made 1.3 billion at the box office.

The Force awakens made 2 billion.

That disney wars doesnt sell

Attached: D5D6C8F5-2650-4AA2-AC95-33C42F993E3E.jpg (1763x861, 436K)

Is it becoming poisoness and diluted? Yes, Solo proved that
Is it a financial loss? Given the shit ton they'll make on the new lands and the Disney+ stuff, let alone the og merch line still being massive, it's a steal at 4 billion

Yeah, they sold off the Saban assets to Viacom.

That's cheap for Disney. They'll keep making money since Disney is a machine with monetizing IP.

TLJ underperformed, solo outright bombed, nice try
>disney +
Lol thats a laugh
>OG merch
Yesh because everyones soooo excited for more 5POA darth vaders that look like bootlegs because “its supposed to be like a prototype”

Attached: EAA348A7-93E5-4E59-BF02-C45E608C9C00.jpg (1300x1600, 976K)

Well, just Power Rangers, Beetleborgs, VR Troopers, and Next Mutation. Disney still has the Family Channel (Freeform) and all the other Fox Kids stuff.

(Saban may have also gotten back Masked Rider and Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog, but legal issues prevent modern releases of both.)

Wrong, those assets were sold to Saban's newer company, Saban Brands. Those were in turn sold off to Hasbro Studios once Saban Brands went under last week. Viacom only has broadcast rights to Power Rangers.

Wait, i thought hasbro bought saban

Star Wars has always been boring horseshit, fuck off, Disney's movie's are no better or worse than anything else that has been produced since the first trilogy.

They did, I said that right in that post:
>Those were in turn sold off to Hasbro Studios once Saban Brands went under last year
(I meant to write year, not week.)

>attacking the original to excuse the newer inferior installments
Classic shill behavior, nice try mosue faggot

No one was as adept at ruining Star Wars as George Lucas was. Neither of the Mouse Wars films are as bad as Phantom Menace.

The prequels are far superior to nu wars, mouse cuck

Attached: 17C6BA73-E6AB-4BFB-BF88-37F47429E058.png (532x431, 210K)

>Wanted to talk about just IPs in general
>My thread becomes another Star Wars shitfest
Can't say I'm surprised but it does bring good popcorn

Attached: as.jpg (619x636, 430K)

Toys in general aren't selling. Kids don't want action figures anymore, my five year old hasn't played with any toy not a nerf gun in over a year. It's all minecraft, call of duty and fortnite.

Don't move the goalposts, faggot, shit isn't selling with kids or collectors that would normally eat this shit up, nobody wants nuWars shit

Toys still sell, the problem is that the toys for star wars now are cheap and look bland

This

And when they play they pretend they're in their video games. And once VR really takes off they'll stop doing that too.

Nice samefag

>Don't move the goalposts
That was my first post in this thread you colossal faglord. Just pointing out your point isn't as biting as you think it is.

>Toys still sell

Toy sales in general have been going down as video games have become more and more mainstream. Action figures are literally seen as a punishment toy nowadays. It's the shit they play with when they've fucked up and got kicked off the Xbox for being a little asshole.

Yes. DiC (you remember, after a DiC show the kid's voice would say "DiC!" and everybody in the room would shout "DICK!") back in 2000; the actual Disney Store chain (the current stores are a franchise license of the brand), ABC Radio and 22 other radio stations. All this century.

They also sold the Anaheim Angels and Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

In terms of what you're specifically asking about, other than Power Rangers no I don't think there's an established IP they've sold off while it was still going (but you'd need to look at the late 80s in detail to be sure, because everyone was playing swaps back then). However small IPs like individual scripts or adaptation rights change hands or reach the end of their license window without getting made all the time, which isn't exactly selling but does leave other companies free to produce them.

Vidya has been around for decades along with action figures, the problem is the figures suck not that they're out of fashion

>someone agreed with someone I don't like
>hurr samefag

Unless you want to admit you're a mod, admin or jannie, go eat a dick.

Star Wars wasn't that great to begin with. New Hope was OK, Return was meh, Empire was legitimately great but that's it.
Absolutely groundbreaking at the time and huge influence on everything that came afterwards but objectively not that amazing of a movie series. It's a basic sword and planet pulp book.
The really good shit in Star Wars has always been the design direction, they created an entirely new sci-fi visually. Stripped of the artistic talent that created the visuals it's a pretty bland movie.

>Vidya has been around for decades along with action figures
And? Games now are WAY better than games when I was a kid.

>the problem is the figures suck

No the problem is that you can't compete. Minecraft is 1000 times better and less expensive than legos and CoD is ridiculously better than green army men.

Toys sell a whole lot to very little kids, but kids in that age range just don't care for Star Wars. They like capeshit and transformers.

there's no way Disney will sell cash cows like Star Wars or Marvel
maybe some of the new Fox assets will be sold off if they don't meet expectations instead of them just hoarding them or shutting down the studios
stuff like BlueSky they might sell off if they can't find a use for it
and maybe some of the other Fox cartoons they'll sell but that sweet syndication money might be to good

hopefully Searchlight will be freed from Disney at some point

Ok, but vidya today is so much better than vidya 30 years ago or even 10 years ago. Everything online increases replayability as it effectively creates new content through new player-player interactions. To compare the new battlefield games to contra would be ridiculous. Fortnite is massively more entertaining and has much more replayability with its different game modes and online player interactions than a game from the 2000's like Conkers Bad Fur Day. A game which in its day was praised for its own replayability and different game modes. As much as the oldschoolers (grandpas) and purists might gripe about the good ol' days of Baldurs, Goldeneye and M-m-monster kills, todays vidya offer much more than games ever have.

Attacking the originals wont make nu wars suck any less
Nah, toys are doing fine, you just want to distract from the fact that sequel wars toys suck and the problems on you

I'm hoping Disney sells the original characters from Kingdom Hearts to Square Enix. They seriously don't serve any purpose for Disney. Why would Disney rely on say Sora to shill their animated films when they got a globally superior MORE popular character to do that? We call that character Stitch:

youtube.com/watch?v=87bEIrhaaSc

youtube.com/watch?v=HCIn3dXAmno

Seriously, Stitch alone is superior at doing what Sora could be doing for the mouse. If Stitch wasn't popular then he wouldn't be getting the Hawaii cartoon, the Japan cartoon, and most recently the China cartoon. Stitch is global appeal incarnate.

But yeah I'd like to see the Original Characters from Kingdom Hearts sold back to Square Enix. That way who knows we may get some better stuff than Disney worlds. Maybe other game developer worlds?

Attached: 1554362478057.jpg (1375x2048, 485K)

Hey samefag, this is for you

Kingdom Hearts gets a lot of sales from casual Disney fans who don't know anything about KH

>you just want to distract from the fact that sequel wars toys suck
Please faggot. You're talking to a guy that hasn't watched a single one of the new movies exclusively because he hated the idea of them ever even existing as a Disney property.

I literally went through a severe depression when I found out Disney bought the franchise.That picture with George posing with Mickey and Goofy? It made me visibly cringe. I have actually seen people post pics of my rants on how badly Disney fucked up the franchise, because goddamn, I fucking nail that shit on the head.

Shitty action figure sales in an era of shitty action figure sales isn't news user. Jfdwi.

Except they've not lost any money to Youtube whiners and Twitter bitches?

Attached: fudgepacker.jpg (659x659, 85K)

>he's not wrong
>I know, I'll say he's the same person!!
>haha!! His argument is thus invalid

Is that how you saw that play out in your mind?

Attached: Thus a faglord was born.jpg (510x1499, 108K)

>Thinking Disney will ever even stop making Star Wars movies once a year for infinity, let alone selling off the property
naive as fuck

I get the feeling "mouse cum" SW shitter might well be one of those things, he's seemingly allowed to shit up whatever thread he pleases.

Yes, we're sick of him in the SW threads too.

>Attacking the originals wont make nu wars suck any less
not arguing with that, the prequels consistently hit the very lowest point of the original trilogy (teddy bears) and TFA was a reformatted New Hope. I admit that I liked it a lot when I watched it first because it was wonderfully done on a technical level, great looking movie. But I watched it another time and I hated it.
I haven't watched the other new movies past that one, I heard that the one after TFA was total shit and I have Mark Hamill milking a dinosaur tit seared in my brain.
Prequel gave birth to fantastic memes and deserves credit.

Grow up, Star wars has been ruined for good while now. Each new movie since Phantom Menace has just been one giant piss stain on coach getting bigger and bigger.

>I literally went through a severe depression when I found out Disney bought the franchise.
I mean fuck man, you see this pic? I fucking made it....I took time out of my life to make this. Just so I could post it in the general and piss off some Nuwars fans because fuck every one of them...Even the Rebels fans, fuck you. Filoni should have quit in protest. #nevermouse

Attached: star wars.jpg (500x363, 73K)

Be realistic. They will never sell anything that might cause potential competition for their business.

Who the fuck would want to buy the Muppets though. They haven't been relevant since before two-thirds of America's population was even born.

Not that guy but you're being a faggot. 30 years ago most games weren't nearly as interactive as they are now.If you think a 10 year old is going to pick up a Darth Vader action figure over fucking Fortnite, you're a moron.

I agree with you though.

>They make zero profit on it
source on that senpai?

Probably his worldsclassbullshitters videos.

>Wasted
All of the nuWars movies have turned substantial profits. I don't like them very much (nor do I like most Star Wars feature films if I'm honest) but they objectively have been a good investment so far.

We could get this back on track with IPs that we want Disney to sell
Tron in different hands will receive justice.
Motorcity too.

Attached: 1418320507720.png (1149x910, 1.66M)

NONONONO REEEE THE PREQUELS ARE GOOD LALALALALALA NO NO NO I DIDN'T HATE THEM UNTIL NUWARS LALALALA REEE NO I DIDNT QUITE PLINKETT INCESSANTLY THEYRE DEEP REEEEE

Outside of TFA Disney Wars has been doing way shittier in China than expected and to my memory Solo was a bomb all-around.

Saying that as someone who never had a strong attachment to Star Wars in the first place and only reads box office reports.

Sell them back to the Henson Family so they don't have to rely on PBS mocap shows to survive anymore.

It's fine, now they've stopped quoting Plinkett just to do Nerd Crew instead. They think their clinical cynicism and detachment makes them look clever, while trying to pretend they loved the prequels all along.

Motorcity would be the shit to see sold elsewhere, same with Wander over Yonder
Some of those tv properties that will literally never see the light of day might be better in other hands

Who needs proof when you can post a picture of a toy?

like who? you think nick or CN is going to to get off their lazy ass to revive those shows.

TLJ was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I hated the prequels. Like, objectively it's a complete fucking mess from every angle.

Never forget

Attached: starwarsholidayspecial .jpg (630x1200, 129K)

It should have ended at three fucking movies.

>implying the Hensons have the money to buy them back

Reminder that the Holiday Special explains what happens between Episode 4 and 5.

It had good effects and cinematography, and I mean if people can like plotless arthouse films they could forgive TLJ. That said it was a mess in pretty much every aspect other than the above two, so it was meh.

>I know they sold off power rangers years ago

Saban bought it back in 2012 since Disney had cancelled the show in 2009. Power Rangers was only a piece of the buy of Saban’s Production. Eisner accepted buying Saban since they were friends and thought Fox Family would be a money making channel. It wasn’t

So to recap this whole thread, they've sold:
-Oswald the Rabbit
-Mighty Ducks/Anaheim Ducks
-All the Saban Brands stuff (Power Rangers etc)
Aaand that's it aside from a couple anons autistically shitflinging about Star Wars. Just glad Marvel vs DC retards haven't shown up yet. Interesting that the list is so small of notable sales

Does Oswald really count? It was back when Disney's studio was doing more like a work-for-hire thing rather than owning stuff.

>TLJ underperformed
>1 billion
>Solo bombed
>those are the same people that say Flopzam is a huge it

Power Rangers

Disney also lost digimon when Saban got their rights back. Must be their biggest loss to date.

Attached: 1521425412066.png (600x600, 254K)

That's because Shazam's budget was $80-100 million and Solo had a budget of $275-300 million.

Motherfucker; you know I can't do math.

you do realize that the number the movie makes isn't the same number the company who made it gets right?

They will never sell Star Wars purely for the reason that they don't want anybody else making a better version of it than they did. Like their version or fuck off.

Eh, Princess of Mars was a bigger bomb, and Disney is still around. Just because Solo was shit (which everyone knew it would always be) doesn't mean that Star Wars is suddenly an albatross around the neck of the Disney conglomerate.

>Next Mutation
Hasbro now owns that show despite being a TMNT one

It's also an investment in the long term that will keep churning out money steadily through licenses, toys, movies, comics, novels, TV series, streaming content, airing rights, spin-offs, copyright material and so on.

Disney let go of Ghibli movies in USA

>"Hopefully if we cover the faces with stickers, we can dupe people into thinking these might be the good characters!"

Marvel toys sell well and most toys in general don't hit the bargain bin this hard.

They sold off DiC didn’t they?

Power Rangers and anything from Miramax.

Samefagging won't save your sould from lies.

then Flopzam flopped even more kek.

Because Andy Heyward wanted to get his DiC back

That's losses for the toy manufacturer, Disney gets the licensing money either way

Don't try to lie.

Tell me, what are the chances?

Attached: logo.png (259x194, 7K)