Magic user heroes/villains are far OP than aliens and meta-humans

Magic user heroes/villains are far OP than aliens and meta-humans

change my mind

Attached: zatanna.png (640x480, 222K)

I think everyone agrees that Wizards are obscenely powerful

and witches

The magical villains definitely seem more powerful on average.

I’d say yeah, but usually you got other heroes that can get the drop on them before they can cast any spells

not unless they can train to do the spells faster

>ties her up and gags her
Wow, that was incredibly easy.

It depends on the rules. In a lot of fiction magic requires intense practice, skill, and at times comes at a great cost. For example Doctor Fate is a incredibly powerful sorcerer, but he's basically a ghost possessing a living host and bound to an object. John Constantine often performs dangerous spells that have dire repercussions if done incorrectly or require a big debt

Attached: Dr Fate YJ.jpg (707x1131, 70K)

It goes all the way back to the first superhero team in JSA.

>Super Science based heavies
Flash
Atom (after he got buffed)
Starman

>Magic based heavies
Green Lantern
Specter
Dr. Fate
Johnny Thunder

Just one of the magic heavies could solo everyone else on the team without magic powers.

That’s usually the go to strategy. Magic users in comics are often vulnerable to sneak attacks.

>It depends on the rules.

And thus the problem becomes apparent.

The vast majority of the time, there are no rules. The character was built with no concept of what kind of system the magic exists in, it's requirements, or even basic limitations. At best you get vague handwaves of, "Well, they took a lot of effort to master.." or, "It's really risky..!" which are utterly meaningless to a narrative. You've written the character an entire book of blank checks to cash at whim. Characters need defined limitations on what their abilities are so they can apply them cleverly.

Fucks sake. Making the character use a random magic system from a tabletop rpg would be a better idea.

>putting rules on magic
AHAHAHAHAHAH!

It’s not science dickhead. It’s super so power drawn out of the sphere of the gods. Physics extends to the speed force wall. This is beyond it.

The strength of magic is its weakness. It can do anything.

Attached: 1547508038879.gif (379x440, 79K)

Attached: 60BE2222-003C-41B6-88E8-F9897A8D7FF3.jpg (926x335, 124K)

Problem is a lot of magic characters get to do whatever they want because it's an easy crutch for writers. If you put magic users into more specific categories their powers even out a lot more.

You're a pyromancer you get fire based spells and that's all you get. Druid? Plants and animals? Shaman? You can see and mess with ghost. Etc. But being able to cast a thousand different spells at a whim is always going to make someone broken as fuck.

>Getting close enough to a magic user to do so.

doog kcul hctib!

Eat a dick.

Does anyone have that edit of Dr.Strange vs Norn where he talks about how magic isn’t just quantum bullshit?

Didn’t the Books of Magic explained that one day Magic and Technology would become so interchangeable that you couldn’t tell the difference?

>Eat a dick.
You first, dumb nigger. Characters need limitations on their capabilities. Whatever you call it, it needs some defined barriers in place for accomplishing what it does. Even something as simple as having to take time to hand draw sigils or some shit. Do Everything The Character will always be marginalized due to being boring to read.

>Oh I can fix this situation but I have to tense REALLY HARD and might poop myself lel.

This is not compelling or clever writing. I don't know what people like you have for magic that lets you life your pinky to do literally anything, but it's not good writing.

>Characters need limits
Metamorphoses is one of the greatest works of fiction and is all about magic characters with no limitations on their capabilities.

Live stream your suicide autismo. Captain Marvel carried 4 books in the golden age and he literally could not be harmed by any force in the universe.

>Vertigo is considered one of the greatest parts of DC
>Has both Dream and Lucifer who can do fucking anything they want

Retard.

Yes. Because the truest power in DC is Source Magic where "wizards" start drawing on power from beyond the realm of the gods itself through mother boxes.

The New Gods spheres in the sphere of the gods are just as magic and godly as any other spheres but they're all "tech" instead of magic.

Attached: Seven Soldiers Strike.jpg (503x571, 106K)

Espers are objectively better. A psion with as much power and mastery as a master mage is far more dangerous.