Let's Talk About This

Does a cartoon really need to follow rigid borderline-nazi design constraints?
Steven Universe has had what, six seasons so far? And the Crewniverse has done a fine job producing the show despite abiding by a lax non-strict design modelling philosophy where characters can have inconsistent proportions and stretch/squash limitations depending on who's leading the storyboarding for that particular scene. Sure a lot of internet critics nitpick here and there but not only has it done a lot to help the synergy between crew members but it also ensures that the show airs on time without any real damage to the quality in and of itself.
If Steven Universe can do just fine by this, then it makes one wonder if we can apply their standards to other upcoming cartoons such as Infinity Train, Animaniacs (2020), and Clone Wars season 7. It's not harmful, so why not you know?

Attached: zuZDs0z.png (1569x933, 742K)

>the Crewniverse has done a fine job producing the show
>without any real damage to the quality in and of itself
lmao

>Does a cartoon really need to follow rigid borderline-nazi design constraints?
Do dense faggots like you not understand that character designs need to be consistent from scene to scene if there's no purpose for it to be not on model?

>Ensure that the show airs on time
Wasn't this show on constant hiatus?

theres a limit

Attached: cec8210f0f5fd3690b830c36bde65db0.jpg (800x1129, 102K)

It was a marketing strategy. They aired it when nothing important was on.

Well, how hard is it to conform to the set model? The episodes generally conform to the storyboard artist's style, so doesn't that mean they have separate models for each episode? I don't know jack shit about this, so I'm throwing darts in the darkness.

From a business perspective, if they can get away with it and it truly gives less burden to the workforce with little to no difference in the reception of the product, I guess it's absolutely a fine practice. To compare with another show, Star Vs. has on-model designs for the most part, but holy hell is it noticeable when they change animation studios from episode to episode. I'm not sure what goes on when the animation picks up quality in the middle of an episode, but that's noticeable, too. I don't think Steven Universe suffers from that as much.

Everything is nazis to you idiots.

The artist who did the left picture left the show, while the artist who did the right picture is still on the show for whatever terrible reason.

>Drawing on model consistently makes you Hitler.
The absolute state.

Cringe and bluepilled

I'm with . It's all about finding a balance between family guy flash shit and steven universe randomness

>for whatever terrible reason.
i didnt knew sucking your boss was so terrible

It's an expression turbotard

congratulations, OP, you have a Dobson-tier opinion

Attached: dobson off model.jpg (706x960, 104K)

Why does SU need model sheets if they are not going to use them? Is it just to "patent" the design?
I'd love to see the day when these types of faggots that never use a reference or model sheet when another show steals their character looks and banks on it

Attached: dobson off model1.jpg (706x960, 119K)

remember kids, dobson's opinion is always shit no matter what it is

I don't understand what you're getting at. Are you saying we don't need model sheets or that we don't need to keep things tightly on-model?

how could you parse this if it were dobson saying it?

>Referring to and promoting the quality and consistency such as in art should garner the use of the """expression"""":"you're literally are- and or are worse than Hitler"
ABSOLUTE STATE

There's a limit and the crewniverse pretty much surprased that limit
>Also
Anyone post the Garnet and Steven delivering pizzas webm.

Attached: 154942188168.jpg (259x195, 13K)

Dobson is to Yea Forums as hitler is normies. Just because he said it doesn't mean it's always wrong

the artist on the left was fired for a very good reason.

Indeed, OP, that's not a matter of discussion, is a fact.

Can you even imagine how low IQ you'd have to be to watch this fucking trash?

Attached: award winning american cartoon show.jpg (1920x1080, 94K)

Stop naming your files sarcastically. It makes you look like a ponce

Rebecca only keeps people who draw worse than her, this is to both ensure she stays a superior in the talent pool and to avoid having one of her underlings branch off and make their own show like she did herself on the road to SU.

You have just unwittingly proven you haven't left your house in the past three decades

SLIGHT variances on Wacko Warner's design in the show Animaniacs, a comedy show with Looney Tunes levels of crazy shenanigans, is not something to compare a supposed "Serious Space Opera Drama" where the characters cannot stay consistent in body shape or size to EXTREME levels. Jesus christ. There are people that are okay with this.

Attached: 1549297759565.jpg (720x576, 36K)

This is actually why I defend OK KO's art; the odd-model shit is great when all that matters is being funny. You can change the drawing to fit the joke and it'll still be believable

You can't fucking do that with a drama

Except it's not always just fucked up proportions or glaring style differences. There's also a number of QUALITY shots too.

Attached: d18gngpge6jx.png (2048x1536, 1.48M)

she made a lateral transfer to a different show in the same studio. She wasn't fired.

>When you can't win so you derail into an ad hominem without evidence.
Lesser yike; greater laffo.

Attached: 1553141338337.jpg (640x480, 205K)

Ian JQ, Matt Burnett, and Ben Levin left SU to make their own.

You can really tell ian was the one ACTUALLY running the show since everything immediately went to shit when he left

No, of course not. Cartoons can be anything. Steven Universe had a lot of power by being board driven, episodes were hugely personal expressions by their boarders, and it really benefited from having Ian J at the helm. Ian is simply an animator's animator, a master of squashing and stretching and visual humor. OK KO is pure animation bliss, a love letter to all things cartoony, and its characters can shrink or grow to any dimension to pull off a gag or emphasize an expression.

Adventure Time was really board driven too, with lots of freedom for the boarders to express themselves. Pen Ward was given a lot of freedom when boarding Flapjack episodes, and when running AT he kept this model, although unlike Steven Universe or OK KO Finn and Jake are almost always rigidly on-model. There are relatively few times where Finn does anything particularly cartoony, and only a handful of times when highly exaggerated facial expressions are used as sight gags.

I'm looking forward to Infinity Train, but at least in the Pilot nothing particularly cartoony happens. It's about as rigid and realistic as King of the Hill, and that's not a bad thing. Craig of the Creek, made by prominent SU staff is very on-model too, I don't recall the characters ever looking different.

Attached: Demonicritual.png (500x282, 186K)

>Dobson

Attached: IMG_20190415_170549.png (424x526, 109K)

Yes that's what he said

kek

Attached: steven shrinking.webm (1600x900, 2.84M)

>Dobson

Attached: dobs1.gif (476x429, 1.38M)

>Dobson

Attached: mfw.png (623x636, 494K)

Im not reading that crap

I commend their philosophy of not having a rigid set list of faces the character can make, and doing a new ones base on the scene, there’s benefit to that as it allows different moods and emotions to be expressed, but why oh why didn’t they have a consistent height chart? There’s no benefit to that, it’s distracting if anything. Somebody please post that webm from that later future vision episode where Steven is walking with Garnet, and he’s shorter in comparison after every cut. It always cracks me up.

Unironically everything I don't like is Nazi. You are a mental case.

Attached: 1503230145648.jpg (288x325, 32K)

Attached: steven manlet1.jpg (953x416, 176K)

>OK KO is pure animation bliss, a love letter to all things cartoony
Whose farts are you huffing that allows you to think like this?
I bet you'd profess rap as a love letter to fucking symphonic opera if it justified your abysmal taste.

Just say you don't know any better and move on, you'll feel less stupid when you review your replies later.

>being consistent with designs now makes you a nazi
Lemme guess, that means it's okay to kill me, right? Punch me in the street too?

And notice who they were, the men who actually tried to keep up the quality in SU but were too powerful for Rebecca to bump off the industry.

I like seeing detailed design references.

Attached: 1538786326098.jpg (1024x622, 173K)

>Is this a good thing?
>Also the people who say it is not a good thing are wrong.
Great post OP.

Only if they're down-to-earth slice-of-lifes

This. Going off model and having personality in each shot is a good thing, especially for a comedy show. But SU is not a comedy, and the off model ness serves almost no real purpose.

Welcome to arguing on the internet. At least there is discussion.

>Dobson
Don't remind me. The Universe proved it was merciful when CN skipped over his internship application.

Attached: Dobson contemplates what this means for his expansion.jpg (400x533, 54K)

how bad you need to be to not be accepted by a company that hires people like this?

Attached: 5 hours.png (750x504, 229K)

This can't be right, maybe she meant redesigning the shoes and not actually drawing the final design.

Man, there was a moment when I noticed the show was shit, but It was too late, I have to finished it.

Attached: 11d2dd7cee93794ad43f3a309b5d04269c46d13e6413736615d5afe3ce214338.png (645x777, 122K)

I've just realized the girl form the first pizza realy looks like sugar.

Attached: tumblr_p67qecPwsR1tqkq9to1_400.png (281x289, 67K)

that's because it's a guy

>he doesn't know the truth about Roberto Azúcar

They should just embrace it and make mentions to how Steven is unconsciously shapeshifting.
Have a townie comment how didn't he used to be taller or something.