Did this show have a single good episode? Looking back, it seems pretty average. Which is really strange...

Did this show have a single good episode? Looking back, it seems pretty average. Which is really strange, considering a ton of talented people worked on it.

Attached: dextor.jpg (182x268, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2gk0XERX6ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=CTJU2hz9hF0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

STINKIN' HUNK O' MUNSTER

WOAH WOAH WOAH

I get where you’re coming from. Dexter’s Lab was my favorite as a kid, but growing up I kinda think almost every other popular Cartoon Cartoon was better. PPG, Courage, and Ed Edd n Eddy kinda kick Dexter’s ass.

Maybe I’m viewing through nostalgia goggles but the early years of dexters lab had soul, the later newly designed seasons were soulless.

Stinkin hunk o' Grape Ape

>audience flies away

I'll take that a notch further; Courage the Cowardly Dog is about the only Cartoon Cartoon with episodes you could call Great.

Hotter take; humor wise, seasons 2 and 3 of Johnny Bravo beat everything else.

Bump

>considering a ton of talented people worked on it.

They were animators, not writers

'Dexter and Computress Get Mandark' is one of the most meta things I've ever seen by a kid's cartoon.

Attached: computress.jpg (500x375, 46K)

I think the Monkey and Justice Friends episodes were consistently better.

Dexter has some standouts; like the one with Paul Williams and the one with Dynomutt and Blue Falcon.

You are stuuupid.
You are stuuupid.
And don't forget...
You are stuuupid.

The Paul Williams episode may be one of the best episodes, along with computress. I wished they made more episodes for Monkey and Justice Friends, or even make a spin of show for either of them.

Breathe in the Sunshine is a very magical song

It was great for the 90v's

ᵈᵒ ᵐᵃnᵈᵃʳᵏ'ˢ ᵛᵒᶦᶜᵉ

People seem to forget that this cartoon itself inspired that ""CalArts"" trend before adventure time did

I love when people have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

youtube.com/watch?v=2gk0XERX6ZI

Jokes aside, the show was forgettable and overshadowed by better cartoons. Also DeeDee was a downie cunt (who had no right to lecture Dexter on SHIT) and the father was a psycho.

I generally agree that without nostalgia goggles, the show is rather average.

However, the best episodes to rewatch are the ones that stray away from the premise and focus on absurdity for absurdity’s sake: the episode with the bully who hates foreign kids, when dexter goes to the back of the bus, the child-written episode. The show had some funny “random” humor

The D&D one was god tier
youtube.com/watch?v=CTJU2hz9hF0

Oh I loved that one. Together with the secret agent episode and a few others.

I actually thought Dexter's Lab had better writing than PPG. I wish I could express myself why.
It's weird how Craig directed a pure action show then switched to slice of life.(Foster's Home) Genndy directed a non-action show then switched to an action show.(Samurai Jack) But that's probably because other writers and directors helped them make the first shows more nuanced. It seems like the characters in PPG and Dexter were not written by Craig and Genndy themselves.

Well user I never considered it a good cartoon together with the rest of the dreck at Cartoonnetwork. It was just low-brow shock humour created from the Ren and Stimpy/What A Cartoon era. The designs and backgrounds are trash. The voices are annoying. The humour is always visual instead of dialogue-driven. The music while Cinema-tier good is just there to make the visual funniers and more outrageous. The storyboarding and reactions again, up to par with movies, but it's just meant for shock outrageous humour. "Lol it's funny because they're adding horror tragedy drama over stuff like DeeDee stole Dexter's knife he wanted to cut bread with"
Still Dexter's Lab was far better than Cow and Chicken and I Am Weasel. Courage the Cowardly dog was also a show which took itself more seriously by making it adventure-driven, the comedy was secondary.

You know what shows I did appreciate much more than most "It's ridiculous and dramatic and that makes it funny" CN shows?
Kids Next Door and Disney's Fillmore! because they didn't do it for the humour. They went past the "just for laughs" and actually embedded that ridiculousness into the world design and treated it straight as a normal thing in their world design. It was secondary to the main objective of the shows to tell a good serious story. Just like PPG was primarily an action show over a comedy show. Same for Samurai Jack.

These are all very good points. I think 90s CN seems a lot better than it is due to all the Hanna-Barbera and serialized toy commercials pumped out of the 70s and 80s

This episode just outright didn’t work in other language dubs. At least it didn’t in my country’s.

I can't believe I share this board with such a shit taste fags

Attached: Disgusting.jpg (210x240, 9K)

can you even prove them wrong?

>"Let me tell you about good Cartoon Cartoons" -born in the mid to late 90s
>EEnE the sacred cow of boredom

BIG yikes, buddy boy

...yis.

This already prove it wrong

>>EEnE the sacred cow of boredom
Absolutely based, not to mention it's ugly af

I rewatched ego trip last month and it still perfectly holds up

The ice cream guy episode was pure gold, hey Arnold outright stole that character

WORMS AND PLASTIC MINNOWS

Oh god I remember when Scooby Doo would always air with 2 episodes in a row. Pure boredom.
I remember when Cartoonnetwork aired nothing but Scooby Doo for 3 days to celebrate it, that kept me off CN for 3 straight days.

I never had 86s toy commercial shows, instead I did have 50-70s Hannah Barbera shows including Top Cat. The Flinstones and Jetsons were terribly boring compared to PPG and Dexter's Lab. But back then we had variety.
I remember The Mask used to air on CN.

Maybe if your only channels were Nickledeon and CN which were nothing but this style of humour and you were comparing it to Hannah Barbera.

I had a children's channel for 5-12 year olds called Minimax and another channel called Foxkids which had all the good content, before it turned into Jetix.
On Foxkids I had Saban's cartoons and Marvel's animated cartoons, among others like Life with Louie and Spy Dogs, Heathcliff, Jim Button, Walter Melon.

Unfortunately I never grew up with Warner Brother's DC cartoons and Disney's cartoons which had some really good stuff in them, especially the animation. The animation was amazing compared to Fox Marvel's cartoons. Same for a bunch of others shows I missed on like Men In Black and Roswell Conspiracies, TMNT 2003.
Still, Foxkids was full of good shows, a lot of variety of shows compared to CN's lineup.

For me stuff like Jack the Pirate, Eek the Cat, The Tick(from the same creator) were light years ahead of Nickledeon and Cartoonnetwork's comedy cartoons.