How does Yea Forums feel about Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld?

How does Yea Forums feel about Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld?
I'm talking in a general sense, she seems pretty unpopular for what's pretty much DC's take on a Magical Girl.

Attached: Amethyst.jpg (443x693, 102K)

I fucking love it. If I had to guess why it's unpopular, it's likely just a lack of strong promotion. Hell, a lot of people didn't even know about this series until the DC Nation shorts. Also, the original series hasn't been reprinted--well, it has but that doesn't count cause it's not in color.

In theory, it should be popular as fuck, since it's pretty much, Game of Thrones, but with gemstone motifs. That's not hyperbole either, it is a straight up fantasy political thriller, so you'd think people would eat it up.

I don't think the magical girl thing was what people interested in political intrigue and darkere content wanted, or vice versa.
Reminder that New 52 Amethyst opens with a gangraep

amethyst = ernie colon

So did the original series, you dumb fucking casual retard.

It has two highschool guys trying to coerce a girl into having sex with them in the first issue, you hyperbolic retard.

Most Big 2 readers only want their cape books and nothing else. I think the main problems are it's connection to the DC universe and its monthly format. I think it'd work far better as a series of standalone OGNs. Also the dual world thing isn't really handled as well as it could have been in either series.

The original series also starts with an attempted gang rape. Funny how people like to selectively forget about that.

Also, the magical girl genre has evolved since then. Hell, Sailor Moon itself was way more hardcore than most people realize. And stuff like Nanoha, Madoka, and Pretty Cure prove that you can franchise the shit out of mature and nuanced magical girl storytelling.

Isn't she in Bendis' Young Justice?

I would love to see a Polly Pocket/Mighty Max style toy series featuring Ameythist

Wow, Amethyst fans are defensive. At no point did I not say anything mature-reader oriented didn't happen in the original. In my first sentence, I didn't mention New 52.
Also >So did the original series, you dumb fucking casual retard only proves my point. That's not mature storytelling. It's a desperate attempt to convince people that "no, this ain't like those *other* magical girl things. It's dark and stuff."
>Also, the magical girl genre has evolved since then. Hell, Sailor Moon itself was way more hardcore than most people realize. And stuff like Nanoha, Madoka, and Pretty Cure prove that you can franchise the shit out of mature and nuanced magical girl storytelling.
Yeah, and older style, even counting for the darker parts of SM, is now completely out of fashion. The lasting stuff's all the same now, just a different way. Yay?

those shorts should have become a fulll series

where is all that great concept art?

Golf club of chaos. Never forget.

>be a casual trying to talk shit
>get slapped down like a bitch
>whine about how fans are just so awful
Maybe you oughtn't have tried to talk shit when you don't know shit. Fuck outta here with that.

>Bendis
A fate worse than death.

Just looked it up. Apparently there's a teenage girl Jonah Hex for some reason. And a wee black girl Green Lantern.

Remember when Green Lanterns were supposed to be rare and particularly strong willed individuals? Guess anyone can be a space cop these days.

>Trying to talk shit
Where? I pointed out that the more mature elements probably pushed people away from the title. This happened twice over. Sorry you can't stand reason being applied to repeat failure.
Because you liked those elements? The original comic was good, but that doesn't mean it well-planned.

Meant to type *Do you disagree with my thoughts. If so why? after this part
>Sorry you can't stand reason being applied to repeat failure.

>Guess anyone can be a space cop these days.
It's worse than that. She's Riri 2.0 with even less personality, and hacked a battery she stole from Kyle Rayner.

I think Bendis's daughter needs to take one for the team and just do her math homework already.

Thank you for the warning!

>Pretty Cure
>nuanced and mature

How is Amethyst there?

It was always more dark adventure fantasy than magical girl. Magical girls go from the magical world to Earth. Amy went from earth to the magical world. If it was published now people would call it isekai (ugh).

But it's really dark fantasy adventure.

Amy and Gemworld have been horribly abused. Her Nu series was bland and now she's being written by Bendis. What she needs is an arc in a team book like JSA or JLA where everyone goes to Gemworld.

It's a goddamn shame the cartoon never got made past those shorts. It would have been great.

Magical girl fans are retards. They're either pedos or edgelords, sometimes both.

>What she needs is an arc in a team book like JSA or JLA where everyone goes to Gemworld.
Retard. What she needs is a proper ongoing where Gemworld is fleshed out instead of guest stars upon guest stars taking up page space.

>An ongoing
Because that worked out so well the last two times. Dumbass. You need to generate pop before you go for the ongoing. We had Curse of Shazam as a JLA backup before Johns started an ongoing. You had Hawkman feature in Metal before Venditti wrote his ongoing.

Absolute brainlet.

>You had Hawkman feature in Metal before Venditti wrote his ongoing.
And that worked out so well. Retard.

It sold well before Venditti shat the bed.

No it didn't.

They should focus more on her, in COIE this broad is so powerful she owns Black Adam like nuthin.

>What she needs is an arc in a team book like JSA or JLA where everyone goes to Gemworld.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what's happening in the Young Justice book?

O wait that was Kole.

Attached: 1511757855592.jpg (580x237, 167K)

She hasn't really done anything yet.

Mitigated by Bendis' influence.

>Nanoha, Madoka, Pre Cure
People that admit to having watched this shit should be thrown off buildings.

>Stop liking what I don't like!
You gotta be 18+ to post here, kid.

Attached: 1497147862223.png (500x667, 678K)

>collect book about different colored magical gems
>in b&w
DC hates me, specifically

Has she ever interacted with Billy Batson?

>Mitigated by Bendis' influence.
Understandable.

>Freckles removed
A downgrade

Literally all that needs to be done with an Amethyst series is watch a lot of children's dark fantasy movies from the 80s i.e. Neverending Story and Dark Crystal and the like and do that.

what is gemworld anyways

That's what the original series was and it's already been called such by: Though I disagree with him about the cartoon. It sucked ass. Trying to make Amythest a fucking magical girl is as stupid as making Superman into Kamen Rider.

Fuck you

Fight me dickhead. Why would anyone with a brain try turning Amy into Sailor Moon?

Eat shit bendis

Not him, but why the fuck not? People seemed to like it so it must've done something right.

People can make mistakes. For instance, your mother.

You sure showed me

Attached: 2a0.jpg (493x490, 42K)

The world is a cold and uncaring place since we live in a reality without a full animated series about her

Attached: images - 2019-04-12T193343.484.jpg (739x415, 28K)

Loved the original series. I wish the trade paperbacks got reprinted in color.

I really fucking wish DC would push her more. She's actually one of the original magical girls in fiction, predating She-Ra and Sailor Moon. But aside from that, I just want Amethyst, Gemworld, and the mainstream DCU to interact more. There's so much potential there and that little corner of the universe can add so much to magical DC.

The story could have done without the real world parts, but otherwise I loved how pulpy classic high fantasy it was, without any trace of irony. They don't make stories like this anymore, and I can't recall the last time a comic used pulpy fantasy played straight and not some self-aware parody or DnD derivative.

I know I should just let it go, but I can't. This show had so much charm and the visuals were fucking great. I just wanted a full-length, syndicated cartoon of this shit, dammit.

Here's to hoping Harpy Gee gets picked up by somebody.

Love it

I just like magic.

I loved it, a great mix of fantasy, action, 80s girlyness, and medieval politics.
The quality plummets on the second half of Volume 2, it feels like they changed writers since they drooped all the plotlines and introduced some new OC Mary Sue villains that easily defeated everyone on the original cast. They also rectoned a bunch of character ruining them in the process.
I partially blame Crisis in Infinite earth since all those changes where on editorial command to streamline the continuity between all the books, even though Amethyst was pretty self contain.

Attached: amethyst[1].jpg (510x567, 179K)

I'll argue that while both get rapey the execution is the key point whey one is ok and the other is in bad taste.
In the original is was playing in the trope of rapey savages in fantasy setting so it felt more cartoonish, it also happened to the protagonist so she escaping was important to the plot.
In the newest one it happens in a more realistic setting making it feel more real it also added nothing to the plot since we never see those characters ever again.

I loved the gemworld, such a magical place, the sun is literally a ball of fire.

Attached: latest[1].jpg (850x1138, 217K)

Her comic was before DC fused all the world together, back then Billy only existed in the Fawcett universe where no other DC character exited. But they should re-introduce Amethys I could see both bonding in all the thing they have in common.

>I loved the gemworld, such a magical place,
It really is. I'm so mad that Amethyst as an IP is pretty much completely unheard of by the mainstream when the setting is, just as you said, magical. I think it kinda encapsulates my view of DC magic often times being bright, colorful, and childlike with a sense of wonder, yet dark, creepy, and sinister underneath the surface at the same time.

I REALLY want a movie. Doesn't even have to be connected to the DCEU, just give me a trilogy or some shit. It's kind of a shame that WB didn't capitalize on that fantasy movie boom that LotR started in the early-mid 00's to make one. Would've been cool.

Ok, maybe you haven't read the old Amethyst books but I´ll give you a quick rundown of all the thing wrong with the Bendis version.
>The world in completely different both in feel and in the political landscape. Before it was a GOT style fantasy world with many houses doing and breaking alliances for power or control, now is us versus them kind of mentality.
>Carnelian, was the only person in gemworld who couldn't use magic and had to resort to both technology and scheming to survive in gemworld, Now he is a brute with a big maze, nothing more than that.
>And up to the last issue we have Amethyst and lady Turquoise who seem to have their personalities swapped. In the original Turquoise was a rash warrior princess while Amethyst was more level headed one. Now is Amethyst the one who want to start a violent war while Turquoise being a generic noble lady.

TL; DR they seem to have made everything so different it might as well be a completely different world, is not only different is pretty much the opposite of what it was.

I've seen the DC Nation shorts and that's about it

Aw, and here I was going to make a joke about how she was an Oan diversity hire.

You know, it sure seems like nothing Bendis does is ever fine

You need to learn to communicate like a human.

Loved the OG Maxi, but the ongoing took it down a dark ladder. Every attempt DC made to rejuvenate/reintroduce Amethys sucked.

I still miss Granch to this very day.

YJ kids are hastily and for-no-adequately-explored-reason reunited, and they try to fend off an attack on, I dunno, Metropolis? New York? Keystone City? by Black Opal & troops, and wind up n Gemworld. It's fucken awful.

>it's not in color

Holy shit that's asinine.

Sounds about right, yeah

>Also, the original series hasn't been reprinted--well, it has but that doesn't count cause it's not in color.
Its Showcase edition was published at the tail end of the line; it was one of the last put out for the line, if I remember correctly. Many fans criticized it for such a colorful series being devoid of color, but it was rare even in the early 10s to get a full maxiseries printed in color without being event or creator-related.

At least stealing it from Kyle makes sense? His ring was the only one without any screening before he got to unit on. Hacknghis power battery should be about as easy as turning it on.

This looks like those old cartoons based of toy lines

>hacked a battery she stole from Kyle Rayner
based bendis with the subtle racism

Reminder that this is where the all the Magic superheroes came from (I think the Lords of Order and Chaos used to live there too).

I love it but I'm just a little bummed that it's gonna be awhile till I can talk about it on Yea Forums without someone bringing up teen lantern.

The main fear for Amethyst fans is seeing her killed by some hyped-up but eventually forgotten threat for execrable seasonal event

New52 series was great

Was it really?

You need to learn to not infer aggression or insult from neutrally worded text meant as speculation

>How to deal with rejection from a crush in a proper way
>How to deal with failure
>Learn that sometimes life will be unfair and you will get fucked over no matter what
>learn what choosing your path in life means.

and thats just from last season,

YES! it can be too girly, and yes, theres a big number of pedos who watch it just because they like to shlick to younger girls, but there's a reason why it has lived for so long, and why its aired right before Kamen Freaking Rider!

Pretty sure Steven Universe kept this from being a thing. What with all the gem stuff.

She might get a chance with DC Universe app but that depends on how mich Drouhard and fans want it to happen.

I'm hungry I want some waffles so see you Yea Forums

I agree the freckles are important.

Not quite, that was a retcon, Gemworld is actually a place created by a witch called Citrine so all the mages and magical beings could live when it was clear that the human world was loosing its "natural magic".

The stuff with the lords of order and chaos came later after Crisis in Infinite worlds merged all stories of DC comics so they wouldn't contradict each other.

Ok, so checking the wiki one can see how after issue 8 of volume 2 one of the main creators Dan Mishkin left the book and after issue 12 the other creator Gary Cohn also left.

One can clearly notice this reading the book, issue 1 through 11 have a many plothreads slowly developing through the story, then issue 12 feels like a filler story and after that the story does a 180 ignoring pretty much everything build up to that point and introducing a bunch of retcons and characters to tie the world of Amethyst with Dr Fate mythos.

I think is safe to assume there was some behind the scenes troubles with the book, my guess is the editors told the writers that after Infintie Crisis the story would "linked" with the rest of DC canon and they didn't want to compromise so they left the book.

Attached: index.jpg (262x192, 17K)

I enjoyed it

Attached: lsh298_010.png (390x585, 481K)

Do you have the whole thing?

How did it ended? I only saw after Constantine abducted her.

Adventure continues trope