YOUNG ANIMAL RETURNS

BEST IMPRINT IS BACK, BOYS

>Fans of the wild and strange, rejoice! Today, DC Comics announced the return of Young Animal, a pop up imprint curated by Gerard Way. Originally launched in 2016, Young Animal went on hiatus about a year ago after producing four regular series and three miniseries. Beginning this July, however, the lights are turning back on at the circus as Young Animal births the continuation of Gerard Way’s and Nick Derington’s run on Doom Patrol as well as two new series: Collapser and Far Sector.

Source; comicsbeat.com/dcs-young-animal-returns-with-two-new-series-more-doom-patrol-and-mikey-way/

Attached: young-animal-199068.jpg.png (804x454, 251K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dcs-young-animal-returns-new-doom-patrol-comic-book-series-1200826
pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/04/mikey-way-shaun-simon-expand-on-collapser-young-an.html
ew.com/author-interviews/2019/04/10/nk-jemisin-green-lantern-comic-preview/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_content=link&utm_term=9F92C06C-5BAF-11E9-97C4-D0B94744363C&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_ew&utm_medium=social
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

DOOM PATROL: WEIGHT OF THE WORLDS

>Written by: Gerard Way and Jeremy Lambert

>Art by: James Harvey followed by Doc Shaner, Nick Pitarra, Becky Cloonan and more

>Series debut: July 3, 2019

>Gerard Way and the World’s Strangest Super Heroes return in an all-new series that takes them beyond the borders of time and space! The Doom Patrol will go on an epic road trip around the solar system, facing off against the unusual and bizarre including the fanatical fitness fiends of planet Orbius and the Marathon Eternal. Big changes are coming for these unusual heroes, including Robotman coming to terms with his new life as a human.

Attached: DOOM-PATROL_WOTW-1_CV.jpg (1301x2000, 684K)

Based.

>Leading the new lineup of Young Animal books is Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds. Featuring a new subtitle, this book will be a continuation of the original Doom Patrol story that Gerard Way began in the first incarnation of his pop up imprint. The book will continue to be co-written by Way and Jeremy Lambert. Derington will continue to contribute covers to Weight of the Worlds, but DC confirmed that there were no plans for the artist to return to interiors on this continuation of the series. Instead, Weight of the Worlds will feature an ever-changing stable of artists, beginning with James Harvey and followed by Doc Shaner, Nick Pitarra, and Becky Cloonan. Harvey will illustrate the first two issues of Weight of the Worlds, the first of which comes out on July 3rd, to be followed with the other named collaborators producing one issue each at this time. According to the solicit, below, they will be followed by yet “more” artists:

I kept telling you assholes it wasn't dead, but no one would believe me. I'm extremely happy about this

Oddly fitting that a comic about a black hole gets announced today;

COLLAPSER

>Written by: Mikey Way and Shaun Simon

>Art by: Ilias Kyriazis

>Series debut: July 17, 2019

>Liam James is a wannabe DJ whose life goals are almost completely dashed by his crippling anxiety—until a package arrives in the mail containing a black hole that gives him amazing powers and draws him into a cosmic conflict far beyond anything he’d ever imagined. But Liam will discover that when it comes to life, love, mental health and superhero responsibilities, there’s no such thing as a quick fix, and that power comes with a cost.

Attached: COLLAPSER-1_CV.jpg (1301x2000, 664K)

Wow it's finally back so you fucks can immediately kill it again by never buying it and then throwing another tantrum when it gets shut down again.

Attached: dad yelling.jpg (283x424, 16K)

Nobody cares about more grimdark superheroes.

>Oddly fitting that a comic about a black hole gets announced today
oh shit, I forgot about that! Better check my /sci/ sources

>Secondly, we’ve got the Way brothers reunion that My Chemical Romance fans have been dreaming about for years. Gerard’s brother Mikey Way will be making his comics series debut on Collapser. Co-written by Mikey and Shaun Simon, who previously co-wrote The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys comic with Gerard, Collapser follows a “wannabe DJ” named Liam James. James suffers from “crippling anxiety,” but one day finds himself blessed with incredible powers after a black hole arrives in his mail. However, with these great powers comes a great conflict as well. Collapser will feature regular series art by Ilias Kyriazis (Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, Secret Identities) and will begin publication on July 17th, 2019, per the solicit below:

Don't look at me, I pulled every single issue of DP, CCHACE and Shade (even double-dipped on DP's trade)

And lastly, a new GL book;

FAR SECTOR

>Written by: N.K. Jemisin

>Art by: Jamal Campbell

>Series debut: 2019

>Newly chosen Green Lantern Sojourner “Jo” Mullein has been protecting the City Enduring, a massive metropolis of 20 billion people, for the past six months. The City has maintained peace for over 500 years by stripping its citizens of their ability to feel. As a result, violent crime is virtually unheard of, and murder is nonexistent.

>But that’s all about to change.

>This new series introduces a dizzying game of politics and philosophies as Jo discovers a brewing revolution in the City, aided and abetted by some of its most powerful citizens.

Attached: FAR-SECTOR-1_CV.jpg (1301x2000, 767K)

>Finally, later this year, multiple Hugo-award-winning writer N.K. Jemisin (Inheritance Trilogy, Broken Earth) will make her comics debut with Far Sector. Jemisin is currently one of the most prominent names in all of sci-fi/fantasy writing, pulling off the unprecedented feat of winning the Hugo Award for Best Novel three consecutive years, from 2016 to 2018. Working alongside Jamal Campbell, who is currently the artist on Wonder Comics’ Naomi, Jemisin introduces us to a new Green Lantern: Sojourner “Jo” Mullein. Jo’s been assigned to protect the City Enduring, “a massive metropolis of 20 billion people” where peace has been maintained for centuries because the people have been stripped of all their feelings. However, as the full description below indicates, these long years of calm are about to end:

This seems like it could be interesting, even if that design worries me a bit

I remember not liking the first 2 issues of this, is the run as a whole better? Because i absolutely loved shade the changing girl and cave carson in comparison but i haven't given this another chance

I guess that Netflix money came through for Gerard finally

It definitely comes into its own a after the first arc. It's far from perfect (I think the story has suffered from constant delays and having to work around being late for its own event) but if you've dug DP previously you'll find a lot to like. Nowhere near as layered as Morrison's, mind you

that art line up though

Fuck yeah, I really liked Way's last run, excited as hell for this

I'm sad Derington isn't returning, but if this change in format (and addition of Lambert writing) helps keep the book afloat then I'm all for it. I already know Shaner was born to draw em, so pretty hyped

>This seems like it could be interesting, even if that design worries me a bit
Her name is Sojourner. It's gonna be SJW trash.

this sounds fucking great

Doc shaner and becky cloonan are artists i always wanted on DP, so i am excited

>Gerard Way returns for more bad recycled Doom Patrol fanfiction but this time he brings in his brother too
Nepotism at it's finest.

This is Young Animals, of course it's SJW but it's done well

>but it's done well
Who are you trying to kid?

Coincidence or Hypercrisis?

ANOTHER HUMAN LANTERN? And she's black

Comics have always been SJW

look into it's soul and tell me which it is

we don't know if she's human or not

Attached: black hole picture.jpg (4000x2330, 166K)

>Green Lantern Janelle Monae
I'm down.

>look into it's soul and tell me which it is
It's Intellectron! RUN!

>Comics have always been SJW

Attached: Kong Kenan.jpg (750x745, 101K)

She looks human, that's the fucking problem.

fuck it does look like an eye

I'm just gonna wait for this Tom's Bat/Cat shit to be over so we can get a real writer who writes Batman with dignity

So Superman is a problem?

Attached: Screenshot_20190408-075514.png (1276x2048, 2.24M)

This isn't the pleb thread mate, take your Batwank elsewhere

wrong thread dipshit

Yes.

>batwank
What the fuck are you talking about you dumbfuck, he was talking about Tom
Stop phoneposting you moron

Heck yeah. Rita looks cute as hell in that cover and Jane looks just tired of it all.

Any talk of Batman is Batwank in my eyes, and more importantly isn't pertinent to this thread to begin with

So do you think Casey's gonna fuck the cat again?

I remember being hype for flex mentalo, missing the issues when they came out, and at one point, seeing it go full dobson with the inflation? Was this shit any good? And who the hell are these guys?

>i didnt fuck my cat. i didnt cum on my cat

Wait, is Frank Miller, and Simms, a SJW, a nazi, or both now? I'm having problems keeping up.

No.

>inflation
are you talking about pic related? it's just spontaneous impregnation.
>Was this shit any good?
Yes, read it

Attached: Doom Patrol v02 - Nada-096.jpg (1988x3056, 1.1M)

The cat came inside.

The inflation was Milk Wars.

No, they're talking about Milk Wars

Attached: Doom Patrol-JLA Special (2018-) 001-027.jpg (3840x2160, 3.32M)

oh. I should probably read milk wars.

NOW that's the news I was waiting for to buy the second trade of DP and Milk Wars! I didn't want three sad volumes sitting there on the shelf by themselves. Long live Young Animal, mamajammas!

Attached: tumblr_p4vu6n5iG11qdy3ado1_1280.jpg (900x1366, 629K)

Hopefully for the inflation fetish because it's bad.

Fucking incredible artist line-up!
It really makes up for losing Derrington, but I still hope they'll eventually settle on a regular penciler again.

God that JLA book was worthless.

Here's something they don't talk about in the release, but bugs the hell out of me:

Is it the imprint still has the 'suggested for mature readers' label or has the batdick won and we're pg13 now?

Attached: LWC0hp3.jpg (1041x1600, 429K)

So, it's Mother Panic just with GL instead of Batman? Well, at least they don't have to dump her into a different dimension by the end of it I guess.

This is great news

Oh shit, good catch. I don't think those covers are the final trade dress but here's hoping. We'll probably find out when the official DC solicits drop on Friday

All mortality ever=/=SJW. SJW is a term exclusive to a particular type of person that started in about 2012, you can't retroactively attribute modern politics to history.

Definitely sounds the coolest

They were always for annoyingly progressive people, you're just saying the progress got too much for you personally around 2012.

>dizzying game of politics and philosophies
Hmmmmm. I'd check it out. I mean the GL is obviously gonna be from the far future so could be neat, I just hope she doesn't get thrown into the main universe

Comics have always reference what was going on at the time thought, do you think writers making fun of the current president and making him look like a bad guy is a new thing?

Remember when Nixon was actually a supervillain that caused Captain America to become nomad? Or when the punisher broke into the White House to threaten Bush? This shit isn't new to the medium

> another human green lantern

sounds good

remember when hugo actually used to award people for good writing instead of skin color and pushing sjw propaganda?

if comics where always sjw why did sjw have to change all the white male characters and revealing female costumes in the first place?
surely if comics had always been sjw they would have never had white male heroes or sexy costumes in the first place

The Majority of capeshit still has white male leads that are heroes, the only thing I can give you is the costume changes

Because now there's a bigger push for it than it was previously.

>Frank Miller
literally claimed TDKR is an attempt to steal vigilante narratives from the right wing (Masters of the Comic Book Art)
>Simms
You probably mean Dave Sim, and he's not an SJW but it was those gosh darn SJWs from TCJ hyping up his shit which made Cerebus commercially viable.

>NuVertigo failed hard and Gerard Way finally got off his ass so here's Young Animal (again)!

Andy Khourie destroyed NuVertigo so fast, why did they put that loser in charge and why does he still have a job with DC? All of the comics he edits fail miserably. Whose dick is he sucking to maintain his editor position?

You being a easily triggered dumbass is a problem.

So when a minority wins it’s because of their skin colour and if a white male wins it’s because of pure talent
Right

Triggered? I'm just sick and tired of humanoid looking aliens, and to top it all off she's a GL and there are already 7 human lanterns anyway.

You both agree (despite being shills) that progressivism has ramped up in recent years. That's the difference between comics then and now. Progressivism has superceded writing credible stories.

It's just a fad

This could either be great or atrocious depending on whether or not the author actually fucking understands the gl mythos and how the ring functions, and whether or not this falls into the same pitfalls as so much modern, politically motivated scifi. Countless scifi stories have been written about the concept of societies that abandon emotion, so hopefully this makes up for a lack of originality with its execution.

I just wish that this weren't a gl book, because that choice feels more like an attempt to shoehorn this scenario and character into the dc universe than an organic fit for the story. I guess I'm just kind of cynical when it comes to scifi nowadays, I used to love the genre as a kid but in the past years nearly everything I have read or watched that calls itself scifi has been mindless, disappointing, derivative bullshit, and I'm afraid that this comic is going to be the same.

>This could either be great or atrocious depending on whether or not the author actually fucking understands the gl mythos and how the ring functions
neither of this really applied to Geoff Johns when he started his GL and yet here we are in a world where it became the "standard" for GL stories.

We never got closure on KF's connection to the Endless as an aspect of Death

Casey's not a real girl.

Attached: Casey.png (365x345, 192K)

Hell yeah, man. Now all Way needs to do is keep DP coming out consistently. Hopefully the newer titles will be strong and find an audience quickly. I was hoping for more esoteric characters like Brother Power or Inferior Five to get a starring role, but I loved the original Young Animal enough to trust their newer stuff. I'm just happy the brand is alive again! Even more happy Johns isn't going to get his hands on Doom Patrol.

>the author actually fucking understands the gl mythos and how the ring functions
Considering the premise is Sinestro except this GL patrols a city instead of a sector...

Most perfect girls aren't.

I hate Geoff with a passion for that.

Whats wrong with Johns? Is the tv adaptation that bad? I know it has our guy Brendan Fraser in it.

Just read this interview with Gerard on the DP and Wave 3, briefly sums up the new direction they're going in (more self-contained stories);

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dcs-young-animal-returns-new-doom-patrol-comic-book-series-1200826

While I'm at it, here's interviews on the two other books;

pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/04/mikey-way-shaun-simon-expand-on-collapser-young-an.html

ew.com/author-interviews/2019/04/10/nk-jemisin-green-lantern-comic-preview/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_content=link&utm_term=9F92C06C-5BAF-11E9-97C4-D0B94744363C&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_ew&utm_medium=social

Collapser is apparently not connected to any other stories and is completely its own thing. Deals with anxiety in young people, so sounds pretty decent

Johns ruins every single DC franchise he's ever gotten his grubby hands on

No, the TV show is kino and Brendan Fraser is one of the best parts about it. Some anons floated the idea of Johns writing the DP after they showed up in the last issue of Doomsday Clock and I hated that idea almost immediately. The DP work best on the fringe of the DCU and Johns doesn't seem capable of writing the kind of weirdness they thrive in. Also the last time he wrote the Patrol in his Justice League run was horrid.

Who else is excited for the return of best girl?

Attached: spacecase.png (552x677, 241K)

>author actually fucking understands the gl mythos and how the ring functions,
This is why modern capeshit is so bad. Quality of writing is the last priority. Enjoy your Cates, Ewing and Tomasi.

The three best writers around? Sure.

A lot of alien races in DC look human though

>Umbrella Academy volume 3 ends
>Doom Patrol is instantly back on track

Why can't Way handle two books at the same time? I mean it's not like I'd rather don't have them, I'm still glad he managed to finish the new UA mini after 10+ years...

Attached: 81aTnHb0ZZL.jpg (1665x2560, 391K)

>being positive about anything DC

kek.

Best news I've heard all day

This sounds like the most exciting pitch out of every YA book so far, both old and new, and the most Vertigo-esque. YA so far has been an artist's imprint with a bunch of journeymen writers attached.

>Amazing TV show coming out
>More comics around the corner
never been a better time to be a DP fan

What happened to NuVertigo?

Half the line was cancelled.

>Border Town pulled after two issues when the writer was found to be a sexual harasser
>Second Coming axed because it drew too much attention from Christian retards that were never gonna read it anyway
>Safe Sex hasn't been mentioned once the initial announcement and likely axed too

Blame the last two largely on changing editorial mandate as a result of the Batdick fiasco

Hype.

Attached: DwE6bqdWwAYzE5c.jpg (631x658, 43K)

Reminder those leaks about DC cutting basically every book outside of Bendis stuff and batman?