Why is the Joker such a popular character?

Why is the Joker such a popular character?

He’s by far the most popular villain in fiction. To the point where he can carry whole films by himself.

Marvel doesnt have a villain of the same caliber, despite having much more success in film, they wouldn’t dare risk making a movie based on one of their villains.

Attached: 7D61F0C5-FB08-46B6-BEFE-B475C9C357EB.jpg (1125x1373, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dm00x9ttBA8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Marvel doesnt have a villain of the same caliber, despite having much more success in film, they wouldn’t dare risk making a movie based on one of their villains.

Attached: venom.jpg (337x500, 47K)

Basically because he's lowest-common denominator. The villain who uses laughter as a weapon.

Psychotic enough to be scary yet jovial enough to be endearing.

>Marvel doesnt have a villain of the same caliber, despite having much more success in film, they wouldn’t dare risk making a movie based on one of their villains.
Infinity War was "Thanos: The Movie"

That was Sony

>Batman: TAS/his DCAU appearances
>The Killing Joke
>The Dark Knight movie
He'd literally be Riddler-tier were it not for these.

Attached: thanking.png (1024x1024, 243K)

>He’s by far the most popular villain in fiction.
>Pete
>Vader
>YHWH

anti hero

Tony has had several movies already.

I only recognise Vader from that list, and he’s barely a villain, he’s more a redeemed tragic hero

>antihero
>murdered several people in cold blood in the past
Irredeemable villain more like it.

>I only recognise Vader from that list
Oh come on. I'd at least expect you to recognize Pete

Attached: Boom_Da_Boom_(House_of_Mouse).jpg (480x360, 15K)

>venom
>villain

Attached: 1459472442201.jpg (736x412, 17K)

he was barely evil in the movie, just had brutal methods. Not different than movie Deadpool

The punisher has done worse, who cares

Everyone loves clowns, even when they are terrified of them.

I meant innocent people.

>iconic visual appearance
>can be both funny and scary
>tragic past
>interesting homoerotic relationship with Batman
>usually played by top-tier talent

Attached: 830D5CB9-EB19-4959-85D1-2D73154F40E7-1458-000000AB6253FF45.jpg (637x960, 247K)

The Joker and Harley are popular because people LOVE to self insert into them, and think of all the unpunished actions/freedoms associated with those characters. They both do whatever the fuck they want, and mostly get away with it.

Attached: Joker and Harley.jpg (1734x2550, 377K)

Venom has always been an anti-hero. He just REALLY hated Spider-Man for a good while. Carnage? Yeah that's a villain

>Venom has always been an anti-hero.
And when he was murdering prison guards, nurses, and Hybrid?

that was kek

that was cringe

Attached: 12-904-9053-90.jpg (2880x1620, 150K)

Technically Peter's fault since he infected the symbiote with his own negative emotions and thus both Eddie and it went wild. What, you never saw polite Venom kindly/politely hand a purse back to a startled victim? Because that's happened

The Joker is interesting because he’s such a versatile character.

He can be lighthearted and funny, with goofy schemes, or he can be dark and gritty psycho who commits terror attacks.

While many characters change over time, the Joker is one that truly reflects whatever period he’s in. Like he’s a mirror to society (which we live in).

Take another villain like Venom, and there’s not as much versatility there. He can be an anti hero or a straight up bad guy, but his basics don’t really change.

It’s not really fair to judge Venom as being a “villain”

He’s literally a parasite that’s just doing what’s in his nature. A lion isn’t evil for killing a gazelle.

The person controlling venom usually reigns it in to a more anti hero style actions, with the only straight up villainous thing being opposing Spider-Man. Other hosts who choose to do evil is on them, not the symbiote

Eddie killed the nurse and Hybrid without the symbiote.

All that was Eddie. I wasn't blaming the symbiote.

>Marvel doesnt have a villain of the same caliber

NO ONE has a villain like the Joker, he's the best bad guy since the creation of Dracula in 1897.

the Joker is basically the devil in the form of man.

Attached: bulldog.jpg (500x389, 32K)

He’s too sympathetic to be the devil

I mean no one really captures Jokers feel you know? Joker is so unique that other villains that do basically the same thing still can't compare to him.
No one can pull off a Joker better than the Joker. Just my 2 cents.

Example: Arcade tried doing the Joker shtick and it made me absolutely livid. I will never forgive what he did.

>devil
>not sympathetic

Attached: C21677ED-67D4-48A5-A1A1-EA927ADD1E8C-3634-000001541A76C645.jpg (731x900, 296K)

Casual fucking faggots there is a specific story where Venom became an anti hero called Lethal Protector, they gave him his own mini and it sold well so they ran with that direction.

Attached: lethal protector.jpg (794x1182, 215K)

Just enough gimmick and design to make a character, but still empty enough that he could conceivably do or be anything.

>Like he’s a mirror to society (which we live in).

Attached: 83cd48ba492de7a8d6be8850ea8efa53.png (420x420, 288K)

>posting anything but Lucifer Morningstar in this context on Yea Forums

Because he's Batman's arch-nemesis and has been in 2 extremely popular and enjoyable films.

>Joe Everyman beta
>Cant RISE-UP due to actually wanting to be good.
>Burdened with psychological issues.
>Sees the world as unfair, and wishes for balance deep down. Wants everyone to be good.
>Has a bad day and spergs, just like every beta wants to deep down.
>Has the intellect to go full CHAOS mode without too many reprecussions, something real people wish they had, or the ballad to follow through.

Gee I wonder why anyone would ever self insert. Joker is amazing, and really cant be topped by anyone, save maybe Doom, Black Manta, and Red Skull if actually done properly because he's the answer to everyone's desire deep down.

Interestingly. For such an iconic character, the Joker breaks that rule about how you should be able to identify a comic character by their silhouette

The Joker isn’t a character, he’s an idea.

This better describes the Joker. As he can change a lot role to role.

That "rule" has never applied to realistic human characters. It's about cartoons and comics with exaggerated proportions, usually kids' cartoons.

Meanwhile, the entire justice league is identifiable by their silhouettes

>muscular man with cape

You can identify the Joker by his silhouette easily.

Thanos' movie's whole advertising campaign was about how all the heroes were in one movie.

Attached: ow the edge.jpg (600x549, 61K)

disagree, he has had a pretty distinctive headshape and shoulder to waist ratio for a long time

Except Joker still harms innocents. He is no anti-hero, nor is he a vigilante. Even most joe every-man that sees the world unfair, and wants everyone to be good does not see themselves as some psychotic anarchist.

Relate ability,Self-Insertion, and hitting the right chords is super duper important

youtube.com/watch?v=Dm00x9ttBA8

Attached: 1540700300678.png (375x360, 58K)

People love clowns. But people are tired of clowns being just a bringer of fun and entertainment, so put a twist to a clown and suddenly they're interesting. That's why Joker, ICS/Juggalos, and Pagliacci is popular in their time.

and I'm tired of that, so in my homebrewed Mutants and Masterminds game, Clowns are mystical superheroes who gain powers based on the comedic nature of their actions.

And thus the cycle begins anew.

Hell, I recommend you check out suptg for some clown inspiration - there was a thread some years ago detailing a clown-verse that is kinda what you're looking for.

I was in that thread! it actually inspired a lot of the mechanics of the Circus Force and at least one major in-universe feat.

When Boffo the Magnificent saved the western coast of America from a gigantic tsunami by standing on a beach and holding out a tiny umbrella.

who the fuck asked you smart ass? i thought it was absolutely epic personally bitch.

The point those posts where making was that venom is an antihero and not a villain you massive retard.

This, though I expect 2019 Joker not to go Postal until probably something happens to his mother. Even though deep down he's looking like an alternate take of Ledger joker, he seems to be more like the tragic protagonist the trailer paints him to be rather than a psycho killer.

What's your stance on hobo clowns in your setting?
Also share some more stories of your setting and the Clown Force, I am interested.

As I recall; the director has stated that he's basically going for Taxi Driver, but if Travis decided to become a super villain instead of a spree-shooter.

Clowns aren't the only superheroes in the setting, just a major force. Think kind of like a lantern corp, where they all draw from the same power source. Hobo clowns draw from a slightly corrupted version of the Circus force and "Dark Clowns" (like pennywise) draw from the dark side of the circus force. None of my players chose to be a clown, but they did choose Boffo as a super mentor, so I have a few stories.

The director hasn't really said anything about the movie other than that most of the chatter about the movie online hasn't been very accurate.

Hmm. Suggestion for naming the 'light side' of Circus Force the Limelight or Big Top, the slightly corrupted side the Sideshows, and the 'dark side' be Backstage? Or something in that vein.

Only thing set in stone is that the film's been inspired by several scorcese films with the King of Comedy at the front, according to the director.

His popularity stems from his difference to other villains. Most villains want power, money, influence, or all. Joker is one of the few villains that knows that his victory is fleeting, so he instead wants to prove that deep down everyone wants to be evil and crazy like him, and only thing holding them back is society.

That or the weaker "I hope Batman senpai notices me"

con't
Think of the circus force as if you are performing in front of an audience and their reactions fuel your abilities. In mechanical terms, I give a small bonus if I personally think the action would be funny, or a larger bonus if it makes someone at the table laugh. I had a player playing a magic librarian (The Pageturner: his power is the ability to pull things out of books) learn a few basic clown tricks, like being able to throw a bananna peel and make anything slip on it. The best moment was during the alien invasion however.
My totally original alien race that definately wasn't just a mashup of the Ultron and the Zerg swarm FUCK YOU TRAVIS is invading earth in force and all of humanities superheroes and supervillians are making a final stand against the mothership.
With the help of the party leader's off-again on-again girlfriend/arch-nemesis Doctor Destruction, they blow a hole in the ship and Captain Obvious hurls a smartcar through.
Before any turncoats can warn them about the obvious setup, the alien guards open the doors, and every single clown on earth spills out into the mothership and begins to prank like there is no tomorrow. Eventually the shear volume of seltzer sprayed shorts out the force field and the rest of the Heroes and Villians swarm the ship. Of course the alien queen escapes, but just as she prepares to escape, HoHo III hurls a massive Pie into the teleporter after her. She wasn't heard from for the rest of the game.

You are a fucking genius and I am writing this down.

Motherfucker gives humanity free will and is sent to spend an eternity watching us get tortured for using that free will to do bad.

>every single clown on earth spills out into the mothership and begins to prank like there is no tomorrow
>the alien queen escapes, but just as she prepares to escape, HoHo III hurls a massive Pie into the teleporter after her
Holy shit this is something like Space Station 13 fun adminbus shenanigans, where have you sent my sides?!?

Venom isn't a villian in that film

>Pete
I like Shaun of the Dead as much as the next guy but let's not go nuts

That's an Anti-Hero. Venom hasn't been a straight up villain in decades

Oh, you learned your biblical knowledge from watching Supernatural reruns?

But clowns have been psycho killers for years now. At this point, it's more refreshing to make a heroic or good clown.

Yeah, point taken, I was explaining how the previous 'fad' of evil clowns happened. As it is with modes and fashion, evil clowns will outlive its fad, and another clown fashion will rise to take its place. So sayeth the prophecy of clowning around.

>hey wouldn’t dare risk making a movie based on one of their villains.

There are plans for a Doctor Doom movie.

Thanks is close.

Likely wherever the alien queen is.
And equally covered in banana cream

Marvel movies were advertising him since Avengers.

>Like he’s a mirror to society (which we live in).

Attached: this says a lot about society.png (632x767, 353K)

Were. It's in limbo now after the merger.