Yeah the movie is a box office hit and got lukewarm reviews on Rotten Tomatoes but at the same time...

Yeah the movie is a box office hit and got lukewarm reviews on Rotten Tomatoes but at the same time, general audiences were pretty "eh" about it. Literally everyone I know IRL had the same opinion on it. I myself only like the latter half of the film.

Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?

Attached: Captain-Marvel-Second-Poster-Crop.jpg (618x412, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6SJ1q2nq8Xw&t=390s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Marvel laziness.

you're not fooling anyone Yea Forums. keep seething.

Attached: 1547802824248.jpg (1052x702, 131K)

Can you at least get a new picture for the same thread you make every day?

Uninspired direction. Clearly they were just directors for hire.

The actors are all fine and the basic story is fine, it just needs the elevation of a good director.

The writing was pretty uninspired, I don’t think a better director would’ve necessarily gotten rid of the problems with the film, at least not all of them. Plus you could definitely get someone better than Brie Larson

>what went wrong?

This did.

Attached: The four horsemen of the Marvel apocalypse.jpg (995x1092, 368K)

Attached: Screenshot_20190407-064035_Chrome.jpg (1080x1380, 505K)

>even IGN thought it was shit

Attached: 1554587500742.gif (190x200, 2.56M)

Given that a huge part of Carol's supposed character arc for the movie is about emotional expression (human) versus emotional suppression (Kree) they managed to drop all of their batons.

- Make Yon-Rogg and Mar-Vell a couple. She grew disenchanted with the Kree and left; and he, having confronted her, allowed her to leave, regretting it instantly. He struggles with love versus duty. The Supreme Intelligence spared him on the condition he hunt her down and execute her.

CAROL (furious): "You killed Wendy!"
YON-ROGG (Icy rage): "Mar-Vell. Her name was Mar-Vell!"

Express the traditional hatred of the Kree for Earth, since, in the comics, it canonically drives them insane. Have Yon-Rogg allege the Earth was what drove Mar over the edge, and make him worry the same is happening to him. "It's this accursed planet. Ronan is right sometimes: it should be blasted from the spaceways!"

Have Yon-Rogg view Carol as a surrogate daughter. He and Mar had no children, but here is her protegé, who defends her legacy and acts exactly how a Kree warrior would have - exactly as he would have. This, combined with her having absorbed the power of the engine, makes her the only thing thats left of Mar-Vell, and he is determined to 'redeem' her memory for the Kree.
To this end, he does anything in his power to make 'Vers' into a Kree warrior in good standing.

Anyway... I could on like this for a while.

But we got what we got, for our sins.

Maybe behind the camera is always where she belonged.

She seems brittle though. If she ever gets into a drug habit she's doomed.

looks like Yon-Rogg didn't really love Mar-Vell if he's ok with killing her to save his own skin.

Attached: 1543296185075.jpg (400x400, 24K)

The geeks my age group that I know consider it pretty bad and highly miscast, even though they're MCU fanboys.

It turns out my students however, 18-22 year old naive college kids, are completely on the MCU train that they love it. One girl even said she cried during it.

Zoomers are so decrepit.

I still don't get how this made a billion dollars. It doesn't make any logistical sense. With black panther it made sense considering the time of its release on a holiday weekend going against no competition and the character being established in civil war. But this? I just don't get it, carol is far less popular character than anyone else in the marvel mythos and she hadn't been established in any film prior except for a credits stinger. This should be making doctor strange money, not avengers money.

I just saw fungus in 21 Jump Street yesterday. Jesus she's aged like mill behind the refidgerator.

It's more than that, though. He is the perfect Kree soldier - the head of Star Force, and that means he is basically the supreme form of life in the universe after the Supreme Intelligence. He has been raised in duty to the Kree, that is his life, that is his world.

Then, the woman he loves one day tells him she thinks that's a lie. His every instinct tells him to execute her... but he lets her go and regrets it immediately. He can't disobey but he has. Instant drama. Mar-Vell has betrayed her people, the Supreme Intelligence... and him.

So, that's struggle. Mar-Vell as his only weakness, which Carol inherits, which is why he trained her, instead of having her dissected, which is what really, logically should have happened. He must have argued her case before the Supreme Intelligence - convinced it that she could be turned into an asset.

It's coasting on the wake of Endgame. Same with how BP coasted on Infinity hype.

Same reason Ants2 flopped - it was in the wake of the downer feelings post-Infinity.

So she used to be actually cute?

>I still don't get how this made a billion dollars.

As my father says in cases like this: "It bears the stench of crime".

...It doesn't translate well.

>It's coasting on the wake of Endgame.

The bow wave, but I get what you mean.

Retards kept giving it free advertising

It really just seemed like a filler movie inbetween Infinity War and Endgame that they knew no one would give a shit about so they tried to hype it up as the best thing ever because Disney has no restraint and just has to have 3 films a year no matter what

Simple fact is Captain Marvel has always sucked(yes Incels, even Mar Vell sucks). This is what happens when you create a character for no reason other than to spite your competition.

Then there's the fact that Brie Larson is either very miscast or given shitty direction. I'm going to lean on the latter until I see her in Endgame. I want to believe she was just very confused when doing CM. She's supposed to be playing a brainwashed soldier but also has to come off as charming to the audience and snark like Tony Stark? Coupled with the fact that the character she's playing historically has had very inconsistent characterization.

Nobody reacted to anything in the film.
Characters discovering aliens exist for the first time? Mild shock, then making quips with them, like how Maria saw the Skrull.
Cat scratched out Fury's eye? It's no big deal. Can't make Fury mad at a cat cause they hype it up as cute!
Carol discovers the Kree are bad? INSTANTLY goes with the skrulls and kills the people she knew for 6 years.

The film is just plagued with unrealistic reactions to things and it brings a lot of it down. Not to mention that there should have been a bigger bond with Carol and the Kree to make it feel like she's been betrayed more.

>Simple fact is Captain Marvel has always sucked

....Sadly, I have to agree.

Two very easy fixes they could have done.
1) Have Minnerva stuck on Earth with Carol, and she always tries to convince Carol to go back to the Kree and stop searching for herself. After a while, it seems like Minnerva is joining Carol's cause. The moment they get to the Skrull ship, she betrays everyone and calls in the Kree. Now you have a villain whose betrayal feels stronger.
2) Have Carol not believe the Kree are bad and join up with them again, while Fury, Maria and Talos go to the Skrull ship. Then when the Kree find the ship, Carol suddenly sees that her teammates are about to kill children, Fury and Maria, which makes her realize her teammates are wrong.

Those two alternative routes could have EASILY fixed a number of problems with the film. Cause as is, Carol's emotionally journey is hallow.

>she used to be actually cute

Kinda ok from Scott Pilgrim days. 21 JS was just generic college chick.

Everyone I know irl loved the fuck out of it and two of them saw it more than once. My opinion on it is that Incels needed to be put in their place and this movie achieved that. Was a better watch than Shazam at least

Nothing, the movie was perfect, incel

Attached: 1554525300704.png (514x674, 298K)

Here's another one:

>Instead of going after the info and the Skrulls in sequence they split up
>Carol gives Fury a device to communicate with so they can exchange information
>When she meets up with the Skrulls he doesn't know what's going on and knowing she has been captured before, assumes she has been brainwashed
>Cycles through her device until he contacts her team
>"Vers? I was getting worried"
"This is Nick Fury of Earth's defense forces. I have reason to believe your agent has become compromised."
>The 'brave warrior heroes' agree to help 'Earth's defense forces'
>When the truth comes out, in the scuffle, Nick gets his eye shot out

And get rid of the fucking cat. The cat being a fucking alien was a DeConnick idea. What is it about Belgians and fucking up Captain Marvel?

Rejoicing in other people's misery. Classy. Very heroic.

Great bait, mate.

>The cat being a fucking alien was a DeConnick idea.
What always bugs me is that there are people that take the cat seriously. Like, when I complain that Fury lost his eye to a cat, they go "It wasn't a cat, it was a flerkin". And they even say "The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye" still works cause a flerkin is sentient.

I just don't understand how people can defend this film.

It's sad that even Rotten Tomatoes is bowing to "progressive" pressure to give every movie starring a woman or an actor of color a horseshoe. Affirmative action doesn't pave the path to equality.

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

Attached: 1511003226579.png (621x491, 268K)

Someone made the following argument:

youtube.com/watch?v=6SJ1q2nq8Xw&t=390s

And I thought: that would be so much better.

It would explain a lot.

And Carol would have left not just 'a friend' behind, but her spouse. Initially, she doesn't remember her... she now knows she is human, but her memories haven't returned. Maria is deeply stricken by seeing her again, but Carol still doesn't have the emotional connection.

Then, as she faces off with Yon-Rogg, he says "I don't want to kill you" and this is the key phrase which is he final straw. She flashes back to the moment she first saw him, aiming his gun at her, just having shot down their ship and killing Wendy / Mar-Vell.
The rush of memories is so traumatic she is unable to use her powers. Her body is flashing, flaring, power is arcing off her, but she can't use it.
This infuriates Yon-Rogg, who proceeds to beat her up, going "You STILL can't control your emotions?"
"All that training for nothing"
"I should have known"
"Useless mongrel"
"What good are you?"
Meanwhile, fighting back as well as she can, which is not very well, she's getting memory flashes of her father's disappointment, all the men in her life who ever told her she wasn't good enough, and Wendy, and Monica, and finally: her and Maria kissing.
That's what gets her out of it.

Then, she rises up.... perfectly calm now, tears streaking across her face, and Yon-Rogg - now fully overcome by the toxic influence of Earth, realizes with horror she has become exactly what he wanted her to... except as an enemy.
She is no longer Vers OR Carol Danvers - she is Captain Marvel.
THEN she blasts him, without another word. THEN she looks up at the Kree fleet arriving overhead...and with a tiger-like growl shoots up into the sky like a bullet.
A last shot is of Yon-Rogg, on the ground, his face a mask of horror and despair at his utter failure.

He's not wrong.

>even Mar Vell sucks
ha

Yes you are wrong. Why don’t you look up movie ratings that aren’t capes hit on Rotten Tomatoes?

I don't think that was the point, user.

I asked some of my female normie friends and their opinion was indeed "eh".

I agree. There was never any inner conflict for carol to overcome. This missed out on a huge opportunity to make her likable and relatable. Even the part where she overcomes the supreme intelligence is just like :

>vers, u are kree
>no I am not kree I am human.
>no you are kree
>no I am not kree I am human

Like legit, she wasn't even pissed about being brainwashed, lied to, manipulated, controlled, used as a weapon, and turned into a murderer of innocent refugees?

Sounds a little like a narcissistic sociopath to me, and I have psychological training.

This, holy fuck people. There is a reason she was so publicly retarded without disney pulling on her leash.

It was kind of boring, my gf complained that the actress seemed kind of plain and didn’t look like she could be in the army / wasn’t buff. I found this funny because I heard similar things on this board prior to the movie coming out. My older friend who is a total marvel fag said he thought it was fine but kind of hated it since it dragged so much. I think marvel has a good formula for making money and promoting their brand but has zero soul or charisma at this point.

Exactly I think if your a kid you’ll dig it. I think if you’ve seen all these movies and are saavy you’ll pick up on the week casting and the Frankly boring hour of the movie

It’s too bad that scar jo is older than her yet looks younger lol

My friend who is 22 hates Captain Marvel just as much as the tvcels. It's not a general thing.

best movie ive seen all year. Funny how all the incels came running out like roaches after it came out

I don't watch many live action films (the only non-animated superhero movies I watched were probably the Spiderman trilogy and Doctor Strange), but I know for a fact that my friends who watched it said they only watched it for a cat. I don't know if the main character was bland or something, but the only place where I've seen extremal opinions about this movie (aka "It's the worst thing ever created!" and "Anyone who don't like it should be gassed") was on Yea Forums. My guess is that it's just a meh movie, but because it is also strictly tied to the biggest event in MCU it was considered as a "must watch" for Marvel fans.

That would actually go a long way toward making Yon-Rogg feel actually important to the plot without actually doing much to change the brunt of the movie. I'm impressed user.

Does anyone else feel the studio overestimated the importance of Captain Marvel? All the promotion for the movie such as the trailers, pic related, and OP’s pic just feels like they’re advertising Carol as if the center of the Marvel universe rather than selling her on how cool she could potentially be like other capeshit.

Like we nerds know she’s always been a D-list hero but the people at Marvel Studios don’t know that because they don’t read the comics. Combine Marvel Comics trying to force the narrative that nu-Carol is the greatest, her rabid fans, her complicated history(by Mormon standards), and the fact her name is literally the company’s name, I can see why a Hollywood team would be confused on her importance.

The movie had an air of “here she is, the one you’ve been waiting for!” rather than “let’s take this lame character and make her cool” like they did with Cap.

Attached: C865ED7B-2726-47B9-873A-743F9EE0B1DB.jpg (1800x2666, 966K)

because captain marvel is as interesting as superman. not very.

Man and Superman is pretty good.

Honestly the biggest problem she has is that the personage of Captain Marvel is completely artificial. Both in comics and the movie. Like most of the edgy nineties crew she was created to fill a role rather than creating one herself, as with the A listed like Cap, Iron Man, and Spidey. As such all the hype feels artificial and hollow just like she is.

They really need someone better to sell movies post infinity war.

This

>Be Marvel
>See the the trademark for “Captain Marvel” just opened up
>Quickly rush to capitalize on it and make the most generic hero possible
>Nobody likes it
>Reinvent him as an even more generic hero
>Nobody likes it
>Give him cancer and kill him off
>Nobody fares or asks for him back
>Keep publishing “Captain Marvel” with different characters in order to keep the trademark and hope a character will stick
>Nobody likes them
>2011
>Marvel Studios says they need their equivalent to Wonder Woman for a future film
>You only have the rights to Ms.Marvel
>”That’s too girly for general audiences. Change it up”
>Reinvent Carol as the latest Captain Marvel
>Nobody likes it
>Make a movie
>Only some people like it

Attached: C601AF16-8C70-4813-BB0C-136A560E6410.jpg (541x811, 129K)

That was the point. You think any movie with a woman or POC gets good reviews because of “muh libtards” and you only think this because you’re a child who only watches capeshit

Captain Marvel was Men In Black with Samuel L Jackson as K, almost literally, the same film but more foolish and with some scenes from Terminator 2

And it is so weird to me. No matter what, Larson has been an actress since age 8. Fleck and Boden have directed several indie drama films, which, I would think, lean heavily on effective depiction of emotions. Robertson-Dworet I get since she's still wet from the egg - but WTF happened here?

No bad publicity, eh?

>You think any movie with a woman or POC gets good reviews because of “muh libtards” and you only think this because you’re a child who only watches capeshit

I have never thought that, user. But here's the thing: I have seen 'Captain Marvel' and it is simply not very good- not because it features a female lead or some people of color, but because the story is ineffective and the star is phoning it in. And the reviews that praise it ring hollow.

It is not difficult to improve this movie.

But thanks.

the shallow construction of the character

>throwback film to a period Carol was in a coma
>alters the history to pretend she's not based on a male character
>introduce the character in the middle of the franchise's climax
>retconning the team being named after her

She's a lame, transparent mascot. And when you have such an unsatisfying core to the film, and add subplots that do things like reduce iconic elements of other characters to jokes, it is impossible to create a satisfying product.

>but it made money!!!!!
congrats

Attached: CarolAvengerDanvers.jpg (3142x3851, 1.24M)

>t. Yea Forumstard

>“let’s take this lame character and make her cool” like they did with Cap.
Cap was always cool.

>whining on Yea Forums
>publicity

Does Carol even have a proper rogues gallery? The only villains I can think of that are sort of associated with hers are ones that she pretty much had to borrow from other heroes and teams.

Kek

Srsly tho, u would think people in the industry would learn from George Lucas' mistakes and not make big budget movies that are a part of a large continuum and turn them into living memes. This is where my Avengers money went? Into Captain 'One Expression' Marvel?

Personally I’m most annoyed by the blatant female empowerment and lazy feel to it. I took my gf to go see it, she fell asleep.

Shazam was better