Why was old Simpsons so much more appealing to look at visually?

Why was old Simpsons so much more appealing to look at visually?

Attached: episode2.png (1129x728, 1.06M)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Inkwell1931/status/974081941287862273?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^974081941287862273&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/2/twitter.min.html#974081941287862273
twitter.com/AnonBabble

SOUL

Characters went off model and weren't soulless robots

I'm watching new episode RIGHT NOW and there was a sexy Maggie?

The directors and animators actually cared about what they were doing? That and the HD seasons are stiff as cardboard because of Fox cutting budgets.

It wasn't always super strictly on model.

The New Simpsons episodes have much tighter quality control, to the point where there's exact measurements for the size of the character's pupils and how far they're allowed to open their jaws

Rather than making it look better, it robbed the show of all of its life and energy

Say what you will about the likes of Steven Universe and OK KO having basically no quality control and letting the artists sneeze on the paper and it being put to air, but it's WAY better than the other extreme, where artists aren't allowed to make a character's toe even half a centimeter larger than it is on the model sheet

Because you need something else to complain about.

We crave imperfection.

One of my biggest complaints is how much unnecessary detail things have. Random shit in the background is just as detailed as stuff in the foreground, or even moreso, and it's really distracting especially when the Simpsons themselves have simple designs.

>The New Simpsons episodes have much tighter quality control, to the point where there's exact measurements for the size of the character's pupils and how far they're allowed to open their jaws
Yeah Fox did that to cut costs because the voice actors' salaries eat approximately 60% of the show's total budget.

>letting the artists sneeze on the paper and it being put to air
That's a fucking hilarious way to put it. And I'm one of the fans of SU and OK K.O.!'s off-model approach, mind you

Attached: OKEK K.O.!.jpg (720x912, 177K)

its all about the colors.

Why would higher quality control be cheaper?

I mean if you think about it, keeping all the character models to a very strict guideline to save on animation frames is cheaper than having many frames of fluid, 'off-model' stuff that would take up more time and resources to animate.

>went off model
I thought Yea Forums hated OK KO?

What said. Also, as a script-driven series, less money would have to be "wasted" for writers and directors to spend the extra time to perfect the way a character should emote or gesticulate in a specific scene. The whole production process is much easier when everything remains consistent and generally stiff. Less corrections for the Korean artists to reanimate, too.

Attached: Marge becomes a robot.gif (256x368, 1.94M)

Why did they change the intro anyway? Seems stupid to put money towards redoing something that didn't need to be redone.

They did it when they switched to HD

Attached: 1540780674993.png (373x245, 46K)

You need to be on model to be effective

It's creepy how quickly she changes her expression

I still don't get it

Attached: 1552500428027.png (725x598, 1.67M)

Any love for season 11 episode 5?

Personally my favorite

Attached: 1551852948529.gif (1100x450, 326K)

yeah ok ian fuck off

formerly kilroy

Attached: IMG_20190113_114706.jpg (500x369, 37K)

sneed

>Yeah Fox did that to cut costs because the voice actors' salaries eat approximately 60% of the show's total budget.
Fabergé eggs ain't cheap!

The switch from K-C to Film Roman in Season 4 was mainly due to Klasky's highly fluid animation and lots of different character models which ran up the bill. Fox complained about it, but they refused to stop.

They also cut the show's run time to 20 minutes. It's a combination of huge VA bill and the show not making very much money from merch or ad revenue anymore.

twitter.com/Inkwell1931/status/974081941287862273?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^974081941287862273&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/2/twitter.min.html#974081941287862273
People will occasionally look at a clip of modern Simpsons and say "Wow, the animation got really good!" But in reality, they just added a bunch more frames. Without any squash or stretch or exaggeration, you don't feel any soul. It's just hollow, uncanny overanimation.

And do they just strip out the music for online clips or is the show actually this quiet these days?

Attached: tumblr_oxdkqa6WSn1qh59n0o5_500.png (500x281, 147K)

It was way better around season 3-4 when the animation stayed on model, up until they started doing the lines on the computer. Even the digital color era still looked pretty good, but once it went HD it became super sterile and soulless

>And do they just strip out the music for online clips or is the show actually this quiet these days?
Also dropped to save money.

YVAN EHT NIOJ

Attached: giphy.gif (384x272, 681K)

That's right. Lieutenant L.T. Smash!

Attached: LT.jpg (750x498, 38K)

It stayed on-model, but they weren't afraid to make subtle deviations if the scene called for it.

Sticking to model sheets like they're the visual equivalent of the bible is a great way to get the animation equivalent of arthritis, as seen in Nu-Simpsons. On the other hand, shit like Steven Universe is nausiating to watch because the characters are completely inconsistent and have no "default" state.

It's all about finding a balance. Pic related by the way

Attached: ?u=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-06dSPU3kXVU%2FTfvbqbuNbCI%2FAAAAAAAABr0%2FocexBxNCdeY%2Fs1600%2 (400x299, 497K)

Bold primary colors instead of flushed out shit tones.

Yeah that's what I mean and I agree about balance. I prefer that to the early episodes where it was still kind of wonky and Ullman Show esque (Though I do see the appeal in that style of animation). By season 3 it was cleaner than the earlier ones, but still had some fluidity.

But once it went HD, maybe even a few years before that, it became so robotic. They feel like puppets instead of drawings, similar to Family Guy. They rarely do any crazy expressions like that anymore.

OLD GOOD
NEW BAD

Reminder that Matt groening actually hated the animation of the early Simpson episodes.

The man is a total hack and never has had any business calling himself an artist or cartoonist.

I watched an episode last night that had a musical number about "grown up Halloween" and Miss Hoover was dressed up as this sexy steampunk ho, I'd have hit her with the fury of a million exploding suns.
As for Maggie, she was already hot during Lisa's Wedding.

It was the opening art style or something

But his cartoon rabbits were funny.

What is your favorite zany Simpsons moment?

Attached: Handsome Pete.gif (480x360, 2.04M)

Zoomers

Wasn't it James L. Brooks who hated the bouncy, cartoony animation?

Attached: Fuck you, Brooks.gif (430x145, 2.92M)

That stuff on the left looks pretty damn cool.

not sure about brooks but groening's dislike for cartoony/off-model animation is well known

pic related is one of his most hated gags

Attached: can't stands no more.jpg (640x480, 44K)

This shit still baffles me.
Is the animation just as bad in the actual show now. Like, I know you can't expect too much with Flash and time constraints, but this is still extremely amateurish.

It has looked wrong for most of its existence at this point, user.

You can mess with the model for exaggeration but not this drawing off hand all the time. It's off putting when a character can go from 2 ft to 11 ft

Attached: Nanisato.jpg (430x462, 17K)

>original intro already made
>reusing it requires no money
>looks good
>decide to remake intro to look worse
>costs money

What’s everyone talking about with Steven Universe being all weird looking and no default state? I’ve only seen one episode so I don’t have a reference point

“My old pal Mr. McGregg, with an leg for an arm and an arm for a leg” has made me bust up laughing consistently for decades, and it’s the only reason to rewatch that episode

Homer's sugar.

Attached: Brit.gif (480x360, 3.9M)

It makes my teeth hurt

Imagine what it would look like having the original intro stuck to the digital animated episodes

It would put emphasis how bad everything else is?

The pothole explosion in Marge vs the Monorail

Leonard Nimoy beaming out also caught me off guard.

I mean, yeah. But it'd also look like it came from a different show it would look so out of place.

The people watching The Simpsons in 2019 don't give a shit about how good it looks (or quality in general) so keeping around a technically better looking opening that looks *old* benefits no-one.