Recommend me comics based on my taste in manga

Recommend me comics based on my taste in manga

Hello folks i want to get into comics i ve already read watchman and Sandman and am looking for more comics that i may end up loving

here is my favorite mongas list

Oyasumi Punpun

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Vagabond

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Planetes

Eden: it's an endless world

Gunnm

Ultra heaven

Ashita no joe

Akira

Welcome to the NHK

Lone Wolf & Cub

Nijigahara Holograph

Monster ETC

Attached: 61EhgBmU-RL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (347x499, 63K)

Since you listed some of the most entry-level manga, Don Rosa's Ducktales comics should be right up your alley.

>American

>Don Rosa’s
>Ducktales
I don't see where you get off on calling other people’s casuls when you are this much of one yourself.

>i ve already read watchman and Sandman

Alan Moore, author of Watchmen:
>"Cerebus, as if I need to say so, is still to comic books what Hydrogen is to the Periodic Table, and is one of the only comics that I still read and enjoy regularly every month."

Neil Gaiman, author of Sandman:
>"I'm sometimes a good writer. It irks me that Dave [Sim] is, in my opinion (and when he's firing on all cylinders) as good as, or (okay, I'll say it) better than me, and he's had longer to be good. It also irks me that he's a far, far better artist than I'll ever be, and that he's a better publisher than the majority of us (particularly those of us who really couldn't run a successful lemonade stand)."

Attached: 1446407365373.jpg (1946x1660, 781K)

>entry-level manga
What is this idiotic 'elitist' hipster talk

Stay away from comics. They're trash, sure there are exceptions but you'll still end up reading far far more mediocre drivel, and let's not talk about the garbage ones...

That's true of literally anything you retard.
>don't get into music, most of it is shit

You can listen to the same album over and over again every day for an entire week. Reading the same comic over and over again is dumb.

>You can listen to the same album over and over again every day for an entire week.
Maybe if you're brain damaged,

What a lazy and ignorant post. You only posted this hoping people would praise you for your humour, but this is a dud. Try harder or go back to (r)eddit.

Ironic coming from you.

>no u
Great argument.

To be honest I prefer Nausicaäs anime over the manga. It ends on a high note and is less convoluted.
Also the soundtrack adds even more to it.

Attached: Nausicaä.jpg (1166x850, 143K)

Dave Sim is based.

Attached: 1553885187760.png (1171x1800, 3.16M)

That's not what irony is, user.
How about movies? Can you watch the same movie every day for a week? If not, does that make cinema worthless because most of cinema is shit?
Seriously, your arguments are stupid as fuck.

Imagine a man diagnosed with borderline schizophrenia. Imagine that he refuses treatment. Imagine that his schizophrenia only affects him subtly at first, but decades later he becomes trapped in a hell of his own making, cutting himself off from family and friends, ranting and raving that all women are stupid and evil because they have abandoned G-d in favor of a false deity named YHWH who lives in the center of the Earth.

Now imagine being the red-pilled moron who sees this man as a "based" ally instead of someone who needs help.

The ending of the anime is a bit derpy. The manga might not be upbeat, but it has Nausicaa make a heavy decision about the course of life instead of becoming Ohmu Jesus and saving everyone. (The manga version of God Warrior is also one of my favorite manga characters ever)

Sonic fucking wishes he could move his mouth like that

Not gonna lie, Cerebus user, I like how completely impartial you are about this. It's refreshingly honest.

Manga ending isn't as happy as the anime one but it's more of a bittersweet one than an outright bitter one, and it'd still take the manga's far more complex worldbuilding and characters over the anime's any day.

My comic recommendation is always the same: Transmetropolitan

Attached: 250px-Transmetropolitan_2.jpg (250x387, 42K)

>Stay away from big 2 cape comics. They're trash, sure there are exceptions but you'll still end up reading far far more mediocre drivel
Fixed.

I think you'd enjoy the Ballad of Halo Jones OP. Probably Moebius/Jodorowsky stuff too.

>most of cinema is shit
It is not. You probably only watch hollywood trash so I can see why you would think that.

I can understand your opinions. But the anime just suits mine better.
Also Kurotowa is one of my all time favorite characters.

Attached: kurotowa.jpg (426x240, 20K)

Try Grant Morrison's late 80's stuff (I am particularly fond of his stint on Doom Patrol) and most of the series Alan Moore penned before he went bonkers. The recent DC Flintstones and Snagglepuss comics are oddly thoughtful stories.
>Entry level
He didn't list Berserk and a bunch of shonen user.

Based on the sheer amount of movies pumped out every year, yes, most of cinema is shit you stupid brainlet.

Alan Moore never "went bonkers" but alright

He doesn't suck corporate cock like my sell-out hero Morrison, so he's bonkers.

What do people see in Cerebus anyway?
The art was good but the dialogue was boring, and the constant parodies were about as funny as genital torture.

Seconding that list, it's a good one. Also check out Mister X, American Flagg, and the various works of Moebius (which partly inspired Nausicaa) and Will Eisner (A Contract With God is already on there but he has a number of other must-read gems like Dropsey Avenue.)

>Japanese comics that are almost universally praised around the world define "entry level".
Goddamn I wish Yea Forums would stop setting up base camp on this board sometimes.
There's very little more pathetic than comic book snobbery.

Attached: King.png (423x696, 268K)

The manga has based Namulith though.

It changes direction completely once you reach the second volume.

Then explain why he hasn't written a single decent story in nearly two decades.
Morrison's modern sell out stories are pretty boring and lacking in creativity which is why I only really recommended his 80's stuff.

You really think that Hollywood is the main source of bad movies? Have you never been to a film festival?
The vast majority of cinema is shit, you just don't watch enough movies to realize that.
Fuck, I bet you're American and you just assume "foreign movies" are majority good while not watching them, which is hilariously wrong.

>Then explain why he hasn't written a single decent story in nearly two decades.
Why didn't you read Providence?

>Providence wasn't good
Excuse me?

Yea Forums is brimming with people who have more mainstream tastes than they'll ever admit, and who like to recommend "unimpeachably sophisticated" books/movies/comics/ect regardless of whether they partook of them or enjoyed them when they did.
Everything foreignobscure automatically gets bumped up a star, everything broadly popular/mainstream loses one.

Attached: Green Goblin.jpg (236x357, 17K)

I found the dialogue witty and entertaining, the background politics and the complexity of the characters engaging, the mysteries surrounding the setting, the plot and Cerebus intriguing, and Sim's paneling, lettering, layout and command of gesture and emotion in the art to add additional depth to the series that the plot alone would not have reached.
I don't think it's without its faults, some plot threads never really went anywhere (we never really find out the significance of "Something Fell") and some parts were straight-up filler (9 pages of Cerebus taking a piss), but what it did good it did extremely good. In addition, Cerebus has some of the best female characters I have ever read of, despite the notoriety of the author.

I got to the part where he started working at a bank. Then it went from unfunny parody to one of the single most dull stories I have ever read with sprinkling of unfunny parody.

Is that the fish rape book?

>Cerebus has some of the best female characters I have ever read of, despite the notoriety of the author.
Admittedly I haven't reread it in well over a decade, but I don't remember this. You have a lot of cold-hearted bitches that Cerebus needs to kill/rape/defeat, Cerebus' waifu Jaka, and silly shit like the faerie and Red Sofia.

Who were you referring to as the "best" female character(s)? Henrot?

Should be just right up your Alley

Attached: 51bMJ-aL6EL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (330x499, 45K)

I don't remember that, so let me rephrase: It changes direction completely once you reach issue #26.

You're thinking of Neonomicon.

And we're supposed to take you seriously as an expert?

Jaka and Astoria.

Ugh. Sims' pre divorce waifu and post divorce bitchu-wife surrogate are not great characters.

Jaka before Sim went off the deep end, Astoria and Michelle, for all her few appearances.

meant for

That's true but I think to an extent it's a good thing, obscure shit may not be as good as advertized, but it certainly can use the attention/publicity compared to mainstream shit.

Attached: rec.jpg (1840x2512, 1.2M)

>we're supposed to take you seriously as an expert?
Did I say I was an expert?
I just haven't read a good story by the guy since like 1998

>I got to the part where he started working at a bank.
That's early High Society. It becomes a hilarious satire once Cerebus enters the race for the election.

I've delved into my share of obscure/indy books.
Some of them are fresh and stand apart from what has become the industry standard. Others are pretty low-tier shit.
I just chuckle at people who elevate that stuff against everything mainstream. Sure, there are hacks churning out corporate fill (because it sells), but the big companies also launch the careers of a lot of genuine talent. Even the big 2 aren't blind to high quality art/writing; they just know that in the end they really can't count on them to remain in-house, and they DO have sales quotas to meet to keep to pay their bills.

>What do people see in Cerebus anyway?
Cerebus the Aardvark is THE comic for people who want to create comics. Without that fantasy, it might not appeal to you.

Dave Sim starts off not knowing how to write or how to draw. His output is barely passable, merely copying the ideas that he saw in other, better comics. Worst of all, he has no direction, no idea where he's going or what he wants to do when he gets there.

You think to yourself "I could do better than this."

But then he gets better. He starts putting out good shit like Mind Game, where you have to take out the staples and arrange the issue on your floor to get the full picture. Then he hits you with High Society. Suddenly the storyline has a focus, and the humor is hitting on every front that it needs to. Then you reach Church & State, and Jaka's story, and suddenly it's looking like a masterpiece.

You think to yourself "Look at how far he's come... could I do better than this?"

Then you're in Mothers & Daughters, and you're let down. Then you're in Guys and Rick's Story, and you're bored. Then you're in Going Home and Form & Void, and you're a mad.

You think to yourself "How could he waste his potential like that? Maybe I could do better than this after all."

Then you're in Latter Days. After a promising start, you rapidly plummet into disaster. Chasing YWHW is the absolute worst slog ever. You pity the author, because he is mentally diseased and cannot help himself.

You think to yourself "What a tragedy. I absolutely MUST do better than this."

Finally you reach The Last Day, and it's a masterpiece again. This is exactly the perfect ending that the character deserves. And an epoch in your life is over; you will never again be You Before Cerebus, you will always be You After Cerebus.

And you take all the lessons that you learned, everything he did right and everything he did wrong, and you think to yourself: "I don't know if I can do better than this... but I want to try."

>It becomes a hilarious satire once Cerebus enters the race for the election.
I have a hard to believing anything after the constant "he is (insert fictional character here) but stupid! Isn't that funny?" humor that Dave Sim peppered throughout the series beforehand that it could ever be hilarious.

Last Day, while good, absolutely does not justify the slog that runs on before it.
I say this as someone who bought the individual issues, instead of having the collections be my first introduction like 99.9% of Anons here.

Since you're the one avoiding him, that's more your fault, not his. Don't tell us that he's bonkers when you're the one with the problem.

There's some decent black humor in it, but if you don't already find the Cockroach, Elrod and Lord Julius high-larious there's absolutely no reason to keep going.

Dave Sim is a completely different person starting in High Society. He has overdosed on LSD, been hospitalized and diagnosed with schizophrenia. Please trust me when I say that Dave's writing after that is different than Dave's writing before that.

Anything by Charles Burns.

Motherfucking Cirin.

Astoria is not a bitch. She genuinely believed that she was working in the best interests of all mankind (though especially the women). And when Sunteus Po showed her otherwise, she voluntarily relinquished her claim on Ascension and walked away.

Astoria is great.

And Jaka was a wonderful and fully fleshed-out character in Jaka's Story, but I shouldn't need to spell out the details for that.

The manga is such a wild ride when it comes to the Sea of Corruption. It starts by framing it as a malicious force of nature, then subverts the "malicious" part by revealing that the Sea is actually purifying the land, then subverts the "force of nature" part by revealing that the Sea is man-made, then subverts the "purifying" part by revealing that altered humans cannot handle the clean environment, and finally subverts the "man-made" part with Nausicaa essentially making the existing order, however artificial it is, into the new nature. The anime, being made so early and featuring only the first subversion, is a letdown.

i started reading manga and ive liked it so far ive read battle angel alita volume 1and dragonball z vol1

im going to get akira and vagabond next, are these good choices

Attached: wallace vs goku.jpg (700x477, 165K)

Yes, if you like gritty stuff. Akira has its head a bit far up its ass for my liking, but your mileage may vary.

Vinland Saga > Vagabond
You can always get into Vagabond later, assuming the writer EVER finishes (which seems uncertain).

>Akira has its head a bit far up its ass
By this he means it tries to have a story deeper than "psychic kids make people explode and demolish buildings". Sounds like someone on the level of your average Mob Psycho 100 reader.

Both of those are solid choices
You seem to be fond of shonenshit (no shame in that, shonen is rad) so I say you may want to consider popular shonen like Hokuto No Ken, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, JoJo, Fullmetal Alchemist, shit like that.
Also if you like Alita you should read Trigun.

Attached: 1526858511860.png (224x351, 74K)

projecting

Sort of. It tries to tackle complex issues but somewhat stumbles because it's still a story about psychic kids with bullshit superpowers. I get the same feeling of incompleteness from it that I get from, say, Kingdom Come.

Kingdom Come is just bad. You sound dumb.

I really don't know why you're so upset. It's just a manga.

I'm not upset. Do you think I have to be upset to notice that you are dumb?

Great argument. I guess novels are shit because you don't read them over and over five times in a row and paintings are shit because you don't go back to the museum and look at the same one day after day.

>hurr someone criticized thing I like
>ur dumb

Attached: 1930s anime girl.png (400x346, 56K)

>the point

>your head

So what was your point, then? That you can't reread a comic? That comics don't have value on repeated consumption? Because those are no less moronic.

Why do you need it explained? Are you autistic? Music wasn't a good comparison because you get more millage out of a small quantity.

>assuming the writer EVER finishes
That's my problem with a lot of ongoing manga.

>Hey, this thing looks awesome
>but then hiatus
>extreme decompression
>shitty time-wasting arc
>ran out of ideas
>abruptly canceled
>Why did I waste time on this

At least comic plots don't take 5+ years, so you can wait until the story is done before even starting it.

Attached: why_naitou.png (183x225, 33K)

How do you compare quantity of music to quantity of comic

Attached: Nk7WJhQ.jpg (270x320, 18K)

>Are you autistic?
I guess that answers it. You are so retarded.

There is honestly no reason for you to be this hostile. It's a rec thread on a Sunday afternoon. Relax.

>makes dumb statement
>can't back it up so I'll just call everyone autistic

American comics are garbage. Capeshit is heavily character driven, not story-driven. And the characters never ever die. NEVER EVER.They always end up coming back and winning. Sadly American comics are a fucking joke. Cant compete with those

Try reading non-capeshit American comics.

You do realize not all American comics are capeshit, right?

Attached: 51273ghTS1L._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (365x499, 43K)

Nah, you're just dumb. Legit sub 70 iq.

This is trash though.

Theres no actual good "Indie" shit. They are all short and half-assed like hipster indie games on Steam. Some may be good as a short story but still weak. Tell me what indie comics are worth reading and have a dedicated decent long story.

it''s not Yea Forums it's Yea Forums.
Entry level manga are those that you can enjoy even if you've never ead manga because they are good by themselves.
It's elitism in the sense that they hate those who still have hope and have not given up on actual life choosing to live vicariously ttough manga instead.

I don't think you understand what character driven and story driven mean.

Cerebus the Aardvark. Although it might be a bit too much for you. I don't know if you're ready yet to handle 300 issues.

The TechnoPriests
L'Incal

Ignore . You're not allowed to read it because it's Canadian, and you seem like the type of person to get upset and make an unnecessary fuss over little details like that. Read Love & Rockets by Los Bros Hernandez, which is solidly American and over 100 issues in total when you add it all up.

>Oyasumi Punpun
Check out Blast by Manu Larcenet. It's also pretty fucked up and there's even a bird motif.
>Ultra heaven
The comics of Moebius (Keiichi Koike's main inspiration). 40 Days in the Desert B is his druggiest work, but there is absolutely no narrative.
>Nijigahara Holograph
Black Hole by Charles Burns.

These aren't extremely similar suggestions, but they're more or less in the same ballpark.

Attached: Blast-t.4-Extrait1-e1411977453833.jpg (1953x1280, 458K)

>Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
>entry level
My guy, that's so far up the ass of obscure-bullshit fandom that it's practically hipster stamp collecting.

>Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

take a picture of a panorama, one a pretty girl and one of a group of people sitting in a peaceful setting and stare at them for hours.

I wouldn't call YKK entry level but it's definitely not obscure, it's one of the go-to recs for good manga.

It's a well written coming-of-age story. But it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

Habibi by the same guy is fascinating in its utter insanity.

Attached: 51-4iw-Yl6L._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (385x499, 42K)

>YKK is obscure
You can go to Yea Forums and ask for something beautiful and relaxing, and YKK will be like top 3 recommendation (even though it didn't even have a quality scanlation for the last third until very recently)

Relaxing until the last volume hits you like a freight train

I'll just leave this here

Attached: 448626809_1280x720.jpg (1280x720, 248K)

nice work, unironically kudos

>It's a well written
it is not

The Eisner award disagrees.

>unironically thinks eisner awards mean shit
l
m
a
o

I'm going to get Beautiful Darkness this month, what should I expect

Beauty or Beautiful Darkness?

I trust them more than I trust you. You don't seem to actually like anything, you only criticize. And you criticize out of ignorance, since you apparently thought that superheroes are the entirety of the American scene.

That's not what that word means, faggot. You showed you're ignorant on the topic, I'm calling you ignorant.

An impressive juxtaposition of cute and horrifying

Beautiful Darkness

A respectable contrast between adorable and monstrous.

So you have shit taste.

Okay cool. I'm going to get this and Through the Woods and probably something else. I have been slacking off on reading OGNs the past few years.

I have a lot of these as my favorites, I like Usagi Yojimbo, Nikopol, Arzach, Incal, Judge Dredd off the top of my head

>To be honest I prefer Nausicaäs anime over the manga. It ends on a high note and is less convoluted.
When Teto died I was sobbing. Kai's death was soul crushing too. I read it once and it's my favorite comic but I don't think I'll read it again in full 'cause it's just too depressing.

just stick with mango, it's better

If you like GUNNM you should check out Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed
Vagabond is great but it gets a bit tiring after a while
Akira is great
You should start Dragonball from the beginning though, not Z. Early DB is the best part.

>And an epoch in your life is over; you will never again be You Before Cerebus, you will always be You After Cerebus.
tfw Cerebus is the Subahibi of comics

Attached: 158.png (447x378, 11K)

lmao Eisner is tossing in his grave because of the shit getting Eisner awards these days

I'm in the mood for magic samurai and ninja stuff. Please recommend anime, comics, manga etc. beyond the obvious ones that everyone knows like Dororo and Ninja Scroll

All the shit that was influential on Onimusha, Genji, Nioh, Otogi, Sekiro etc. is what I'm after.

Attached: 1552344274837.jpg (720x960, 156K)

Well moot is tossing in his grave because of the shit posted on Yea Forums, too.

naruto

Who?

>HIM T-shirt
what the fuck, only women listen to HIM

Have you ever, while reading Gunnm said to yourself "Gally's a cool character, but I'd read the shit out of a manga like Zazie?" If so, you might like Martha Washington, by Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons.

Attached: Martha-Washington-comic-Explosion.jpg (927x505, 131K)

The Metabarons

Why do weebs call these things by their Jap names? Like Gunnm, instead of Alita. or Boku No Hero Academia, instead of My hero academia. Or Oyasumi Punpun instead of Goodnight Punpun.

Have you watched 7 Samurai?
>All the shit that was influential on Onimusha, Genji, Nioh, Otogi, Sekiro etc. is what I'm after.
If you want to get to the roots and you don't mind bad drawings, Sanpei Shirato. He's one of the guys who started manga along with Tezuka, and he made manga about ninja and samurai, like Kamui Gaiden and Sasuke. Sasuke got an anime that was popular here.

Attached: sasuke.jpg (495x750, 86K)

>getting into arguments with "nuh-uh" tards on Yea Forums
Why would you spend time like that?

Attached: 443.jpg (720x716, 120K)

since youve read watchmen and sandman, i highly recommend you read:
Punisher MAX #1-60
don't read the rest, the series shifts to a dfiferent writer for the last 12 issues and ruins the ending given by the writer that took on the first 60 issues.
however, there is a re-numbering of that run taken by Jason Aaron which is great, however a lot of people here disagree, but i personally love it.

From what I'm seeing it looks like you're into science fantasy kind of stuff with lush, detailed artwork and mid-to-strong focus on character. I'd say if you want to tread in waters visually similar to the manga you've listed I'd look into Euro-comics - They've traditionally focused more on use of subtle colours and a more painterly style in their visual design compared to American comics heavier use of bold colours and heavy inks. Though that's not to say American comics aren't also worth a look.

My major recommendations:

Anything by Moebius - One of the grand daddies of super detailed sci fi comics.

Tintin - A very entry-level recommendation for Euro-comics but it's also one of the most well-known and iconic representations of the bandes dessinées school of Franco-Belgian comics, noted for their simplistic but expertly crafted character designs. This is thus less a recommendation for only Tintin, but a recommendation as it as a gateway to exploring bandes dessinées.

Bone - A merger of Walt Kelly and Disney comics' brand of simple but expressive characters with lushly drawn and inked backgrounds.

Blacksad - A series of hard-boiled noir stories following protagonist John Blacksad as he dives into the seedy underbelly of post-War America. The fact that the characters are all anthropomorphic animals might be an initial turn-off for some, but the artwork is absolutely gorgeous and the storytelling solid.

Skydoll - A sexed-up tale of religious corruption in a far-future, pseudo-space opera setting. The artwork and character designs in this are gorgeous, akin to the sort of pin-up girls a lot of Disney animators have historically drawn in their spare time.

And one more I cut off by the character limit:

Orc Stain - If you think you know a comics artist who loves adding detail to their artwork, you have obviously not met James Stokoe. The sheer level of work he puts into every panel of his comics is astounding. Orc Stain is probably his best known stand-alone: A strange and at times crude tale of an uncharacteristically crafty and subtle orc being hunted by the "Orc Czar" who is currently seeking to unite the disorganized tribes of raider orcs to conquer the land.

>you liked watchmen and sandman, masterpieces of the medium?
>go ahead and read this shlocky adolescent gore porn from Ennis!

i love punisher max but what the fuck does it have to do with watchmen or sandman
>however, there is a re-numbering of that run taken by Jason Aaron which is great
oh nevermind you have brain damage

I can tell by the way you formatted this post that you're from Reddit.