ITT: Impractical or stupid weapons

A sword with 2 parallel blades? What the fuck was Liefeld thinking?

Attached: Shatterstar.jpg (960x960, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I used to like him. It's a shame he got diagnosed with the gay.

Well theoretically parallel bladed swords would leave would that would be harder to stitch closed leaving for an increased chance of blood loss and infection

Also if you were attack a limb it would make severing it much easier because you'd put greater strain on the bone by hitting it in two spots at once

But we all know Leifeld wasn't thiking any of that, it was just meant to look edgy in the 90's....so yeah

Wouldn’t the balance be all messed up though, making it weird and unwieldy?

Theoretically parallel bladed swords would fucking break because the tang doesn`t even exist
This is a dumb idea

I think that he's actually a polyamourous bisexual.

>Liefeld thinking

well there's your problem

All of Cable's guns. They're just way too big.

Attached: Cable 90s incarnate.png (480x680, 167K)

ehhhh I mean

kind of? swords aren't really like kitchen knives in terms of balance, you're obviously going to have a lot more weight on the sharp end than on the end you can put up your butt, only with a sword it's less of a problem because you want there to be a lot of weight on the swing, so the more mass you have at the pointy bit the better - Archimedes and all that - because it helps create more pressure on the cutting edge and that means a better penetration

but the problems with that are the same problems swords always have - firstly that they have to be of a certain size to be usable in any meaningful sense (so no ceremonial giant-ass blades or hentai swords or whatever) because of the weight problem (which is magnified on the swing, and which is what we talk about when we talk about balancing a sword), and also as says the tang (the bit of the blade that extends inside the grip) has to be able to take that strain (so remember every action has an equal and opposite reaction - you're basically putting the same force on that point of the sword as you are on the guy you're hitting, and while it's spread out over a larger area it's still going to stress the metal)

secondly swords just aren't that useful because even the sharpest cutting edge is relatively simple to stop - never were any good for chopping up stone or anything of a comparable density, which is why platemail was so useful; modern ablative armors (like stab vests) are specifically designed to make blade penetrations difficult (though no armor is 100%), but aren't too useful against, you know, guns and shit (or lava); that's why nobody carries swords when there are people with anti-sword capabilities around (polearms ftw)

a double-bladed rapier wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, if it were structurally sound - it's just two stabby thin bits of naturally whippy metal and you could probably do some nice trapping of your opponent's blade in a duel

and he ripped them off shitty 80s movies

Attached: Cable.jpg (1920x1080, 569K)

user, just look at him.
He was always gay.

As cool as they look, batarangs. Those shapes are not aerodynamic.

Shatterstar's sword is kinda stupid in that regard which is apparently two blades welded on to a spiked D guard. If you're gonna make a double parallel bladed weapon it should be two proper blades made to fit the handle.

Attached: 076.jpg (1039x1072, 276K)

That's so 90s

The first point makes a lot of sense. The second, though
>Also if you were attack a limb it would make severing it much easier because you'd put greater strain on the bone by hitting it in two spots at once
Eh, i don't think so. You're still applying the same amount of force with the sword, but now you are spreading it over a wider area. This is the nail bed principle - your cut will actually be much shallower and feel "weaker". The more parallel blades you have, the closer to a blunt weapon you get. And while a blunt stick is pretty good at breaking bones, I think a parallel blade sword is the worst of both worlds.

>Liefeld
>thinking
His design process was always the mindset of what a hormonal teenaged boy would think is cool.

At one point he replaced the double bladed swords with double bladed extra-long Wolverine claws.

Idea:

Two parallel swords with an electrical current running between them.

Considering Shatterstar's home, weird-ass weapon that looks cool but is questionable in usefulness is perfect.

Got nothing on a tri-edge dagger.

Its made from an alien super metal. Shouldn't have those type of problems.

Wasn't Shatterstar (and to a lesser extent Gambit) created because Marvel agreed to a crazy ass royalty deal with Art Adams and Anne Nocenti, ala the current situation that keeps people from using Patriot from Young Justice they no longer wanted to abide by?

IIRC Nocenti and Adams got paid extra every time Longshot was used, a deal Nocenti swung because she was an editor at Marvel and got Claremont to use Longshot so that the two would get extra cash while waiting for Nocenti to finish a sequel to Longshot.

And that when Bob Harras took over as editor of the X-Books, one of the first things he did was force Claremont to get rid of Longshot, because he didn't like how Adams and Nocenti gamed the system like they did? But that he had Claremont and Louis Simonson game the system and create copies of Longshot to keep fans somewhat pacified?

>Wolverine cuts weird i want to draw things like that
that was probably what he said out loud

The royalty thing is an urban legend spread by CBR in the late 90s.

Bob Harras just didn't like Longshot. He ordered Claremont to get rid of him, while stringing Nocenti along with finally greenlighting a Longshot sequel which never happened.

Rumor has it, Longshot and Dazzler were supposed to rejoin the X-Men under Jim Lee. But Lee's departure led to Harras embargoing Longshot for the bulk of the 90s.

Another idea: The blades are silver and the electricity comes from a solar cell.

>2 blades
>not 3 that shoot and hide more

Weak test

Attached: 4L_CePBb3ho.jpg (337x185, 8K)

>you'd put greater strain on the bone by hitting it in two spots at once
I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of how it works.

same here.

It's not a weapon for a first level fighter, that's for sure. Yo'd probably have to get 3-4 feats to make it work,

I unironically love this shit -- it's like he has 20 utility-belts. And the guns-! not a one is smaller than a stand mixer, and most are bigger than a VCR.

And bless him for that

Triple-Bladed Sword.

Attached: 0 tEATXeF05XZBBajs.jpg (1280x696, 67K)

>Bob Harras just didn't like Longshot
How could anyone not like Longshot?

His design is so fucking impractical.

>>ITT No one who ever read his original appearances.

He used the swords to channel his bioelectric blast power, they had to be that way.

Souce

>What the fuck was Liefeld thinking?
It looks cool

Until it runs into similar or better materials that said super metal can't deal with. OP against street level thugs, would run into the same problems vs a cosmic threat that could think for 5 seconds.

and he never ever once used them for slashing?

no it doesn't

It could be made like a tuning fork of the smith was an autistic retard. But then how would you get it properly forged and tempered?

He's Muslim?

Attached: COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Katoenen_banier_met_Arabische_kalligrafie_TMnr_5663-1.jpg (800x429, 80K)

I'm glad you posted this so I didn't have to.

Rurouni Kenshin. One of the villain Makoto's main henchmen.

user, no straight person would wield double double swords
we gays are just wacky like that

You are overencumbered and cannot run!

>Not a duodecuple sword

You are all small time.

Attached: EEDCA9D1-513D-46B1-8EFE-723228A6785B.jpg (1024x724, 179K)

>Man to man...and quite literally...face to face!!
I'm guessing he's off to fight Stryfe

>Character is primarily a prisoner of a gameshow dimension
>Is forced to master impractical retarded weapons to survive

Clearly 4d chess comic book writing is not your strong-suit

Attached: 1549583233934.png (535x400, 236K)

How does having 2 blades let him channel his blast power better than one blade?

He did use them for slashing, a lot.

unexpected 40krpg

> Well theoretically parallel bladed swords would leave would that would be harder to stitch closed leaving for an increased chance of blood loss and infection
I think I read a reasoning like that in Rurouni Kenshin; the dude who had the double sword (he collected novelty swords) got it shattered like 2 pages later though since getting another sword between the blades and twisting would break it very easily.

He's Dazzler's son so the double blades act like a tuning fork, channeling the energy between them

>Razor Fist

Attached: Razor-Fist-1-Marvel-Comics.jpg (500x1010, 91K)

It's only practical because of the madlad behind it, but still

Attached: kisspng-captain-america-carol-danvers-comic-book-marvel-co-captain-america-5ab754408e0a79.3800870815 (900x860, 194K)

Why does all his guns have rectangular gun barrels but his ammunition is obviously still cylindrical in shape?

I hate to agree, but yeah. Anyone with half a brain would aim lower and shoot his legs. And as a projectile weapon, it's kind of overrated, especially since throwing it now leaves you wide open to attack.

M-most weapons work like that, user.

What if shaped like a tuning fork?

No, he's totally heterosexual, like the Roman gladiators.

Man, that guy must suck at opening doors

not once did anybody stop this guy and say, "hey, that picture looks pretty dumb"
lol

Reminds me of my grandpa's electric turkey-carving knife with two blades that when plugged in and activated rapidly shift back an forth to make turkey carving easier. Liefeld probably saw one of those electric turkey-carving knives and thought it would be fun to draw a dude beating bad guys with them.

Attached: electric knife.jpg (1500x1200, 80K)

Shatterstar and the idea of fighting with swords, is only one percent less retarded than Green Arrow and Hawkeye and all the rip offs of the world fighting with trick arrows.

Explosive arrows are OK. Boxing glove arrows are just stupid.

>His design is so fucking impractical.
Yes.

He's a superhero

that's just going to arc and short a lot, unless it's a sane current, in which case it's just going to get warm until you accidentally touch it
wildly impractical

Can you shoot the blades at your enemies?

Boxing-glove arrows are cool, and give you a non-lethal option.

youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Why are you so wrong?

>akctually
>retorts to common ground
hate to call you out but.....
You're new here.

>they had to be that way
They probably came up with that reasoning to justify the double blades after the fact in the design process, don't act like there's anything scientific whatsoever behind their reasoning.

>He's a superhero
90s Xtreme superhero, the worst era of superheroes.

They can't attack him when he throws it because it comes back to him before the end of his turn.

>before the end of his turn

This isnt yugioh

Attached: 1517944549616.png (500x491, 130K)