Do real kids actually not like broccoli? It seems to be a trope for characters to hate it...

Do real kids actually not like broccoli? It seems to be a trope for characters to hate it, but I loved eating broccoli and other vegetables as a kid.

Attached: BeatYourGreens.jpg (320x240, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5982837/
livescience.com/39578-why-some-hate-broccoli.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAS2R38
asmbs.org/resources/weight-and-type-2-diabetes-after-bariatric-surgery-fact-sheet
diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/diabetes-food-myths/myth-sugar-causes-diabetes
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23880355
diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. I always thought the trope was ridiculous, even as a kid.

I was poor so we had nothing but microwave shit and ramen. I didnt try broccoli until i was in jr high and i was so surprised at how good it tasted. My friends mom had made broccoli and cheese. I ate about 3 servings and told her how it was my first time to try it. I told them how cartoons always told me it would taste so bad. I wish i could have fucked my friends mom

Different people have different preferences. But once your parents find out what you hate they’ll be sure to make sure they cook with that ingredient as often as possible.
Perhaps too much of a share, user.

I have no clue as to how this trope came to be, but it's usually exclusive to America.

I remember hearing that the Japanese version of "Inside Out" replaced the Broccoli with Bell Peppers

boiled broccoli smells like taint

>I have no clue as to how this trope came to be

President Bush. Seriously. I am 100% legitimately not joking here. George Bush Sr. didn't like broccoli, and was heard refusing to eat it at one point, and kids all over the USA got wind of it somehow and followed suit, because if the the president's mom can't even make him eat broccoli, then why should they eat it?

In a more general sense, children have more acute sense of taste than adults do. Most vegetables genuinely do taste bad to kids, because they can taste the bitterness in them that adults are no longer able to detect. Broccoli just became the iconic symbol of this general refusal.

No, that user hasn't shared enough.

>be a kid
>get told by every cartoon that brussels sprouts are gross
>never try them
>finally try some nice roasted sprouts this year
>delicious
I think cartoons glorifying junk food and constantly saying vegetables are gross is partly to blame for childhood obesity. It’s like how South Park made an entire generation start using “Jew” as an insult again.

Never had a problem with broccoli but never ate cauliflower if that counts.

Bell peppers are gross

Evolutionary holdover during our hunter-gatherer days. Ancient plants back then didn't fuck around and defenses that could kill you almost immediaetly. Thus our taste buds evolved to distinguish between delicious and deadly

Broccoli was always one of the veggies I preferred as a kid. Later on found out about broccolini which is the absolute tits. But the concept of unpopular broccoli may come from that if someone really fucks up while cooking broccoli, it gets soggy and nasty.

but broccoli has never tasted bitter to me

This is an interesting idea that I never considered

There's genuine biological basis for the stereotype, kids are way more averse to bitter tastes than adults. Like how kids think black coffee is nasty but it's a common drink for adults

Kids generally prefer fruits to vegetables because they're inherently wired to enjoy sweetness as early as when they're sucking milk out of their mom's tits

Cartoons have taught American children that all fruits and veggies should not be eaten. I remember my friend as a little kid would not eat Strawberries on his birthday cake because he was taught by tv programming that he should not do so.

I think it's just picky kids

I know I was no fan of vegetables as a kid. I'm still not, honestly. The most I can keep down is some baby carrots, though I do like some steamed asparagus with just a little salt. They're practically french fries once they dry a little.
But anything else I've tried actually causes me to throw up. Sometimes while I'm eating it. I won't lie and say I've tried every vegetable known to man, but I have tried the usual suspects, broccoli included, and in various forms because Goddammit I'm a grown man and need the nutrition. But I just can't keep it down. My body flat out rejects it. I can't seem to disguise the taste and/or textures at all, and my body reacts as though I'm eating hair, sand, or something else you'd normally gag on.

I am immensely jealous of people who can eat even just a simple fucking salad. I wish I could do that. Just toss together a few vegetables on some lettuce leaves, toss in a piss-sprinkle of ranch, toss it, and that's my "meal." All 30 calories worth, or less.

>Do real kids actually not like broccoli?
Yes.
>I loved eating broccoli and other vegetables as a kid
Congratulations?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5982837/

>but broccoli has never tasted bitter to me
Yes, and that's probably why you like it while other people hate it. The people who hate broccoli can actually taste it.

ever meet those kinds of people that are somehow prideful that they don't eat vegetables, or even fruits sometimes. always so fat and dumb

Only raw brocolli is inedible

>ever meet those kinds of people that are somehow prideful that they don't eat vegetables, or even fruits sometimes.
No, and I doubt you have either.
>always so fat and dumb
If anything I think extremely picky eaters would be more likely underweight. Fat people love food of all sorts and know how to cook. If you ever watch those obesity TV shows where they show what the person eats each day it's usually got shit tons of a variety of food groups represented. You never see fat people who don't cook and just eat packs of ramen noodles all the time, that's a hungry skelly thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY

Never got the 'vegies are gross thing', even as a kid I fuckin' loved broccoli and spinach. The only things I didn't like were onions and beans. Onions because I'd only ever had raw ones, I only liked them after having them cooked. Beans by themselves are still lame as fug

The vast majority of parents cook broccoli by steaming for whatever reason. This takes out all the flavor and makes it feel like a wet sock in your mouth. For decades parents have blamed children for being picky instead of realizing their cooking is terrible. It tastes great when stir fried like in all the chinese dishes.
Also, a small fraction of people are capable of tasting a certain chemical in broccoli that makes it taste incredibly bitter. Nobody else will taste that bitterness and assume you're just making a fuss.

I loved broccoli growing up, I liked brussel sprouts too so this and the episode of Kids Next Door where they go into Numbuh 4's stomach to remove a brussel sprout ironically made me think that adults don't like vegetables, I even tried to boycott vegetables because I thought it was the "grown up thing" thing to do, my parents were not amused by that.

I love all vegetables but hate fruit. It's just the texture... But even as an adult it's enough to make me gag

Weird trope I know. Boiled broccoli was one of my faves when I was a kid

>made me think that adults don't like vegetables
They don't

Bug Bunny probably had legions wanting to eat carrots, and whatever little foot eats.

Attached: bugs.gif (442x352, 273K)

Had broccoli and cheddar as a kid and could never take the "Vegetables are gross" bits in shows seriously after that.

As a kid, I didn't even like the idea of eating iceberg lettuce even though it was basically just crunchy water, and I saw the vibrant, dark green Broccoli as "concentrated, accumulated, absolute, [probably bad, because I haven't already liked it yet]."

But I can't say kid me was the norm about anything culinary-related.

>and whatever little foot eats.
MOTHER
FUCKING
TREE STARS

Attached: MOTHER FUCKING TREE STAR.jpg (600x395, 30K)

HOLY FUCK IS THAT A TREE STAR?!

There's some gene that determines whether or not broccoli, among other foods, is palatable or completely inedible.

Yeah and there's some gene that decides whether you have blond hair or not.

Just kidding, it's actually the combination of hundreds of genetic and phoneme interactions that interface with the diet you are fed in youth and the environmental conditions you were exposed to, but, hey, if it's easier to understand as binary information (even though you don't even understand how THAT kind of digital storage works) then more power to ya.

As some people here have mentioned kids have more acute tastebuds than adults so some flavors can be so overpowering to them that they make foods inedible.

There's also the fact that in the 50s-70s a lot of families basically didn't know how to cook, so a lot of creators who grew up in that era grew up with vegetables that had been boiled into flavorless mush

You're thinking of cilantro

>You're thinking of cilantro
It's also a broccoli thing. See:
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5982837/
>livescience.com/39578-why-some-hate-broccoli.html
>Yeah and there's some gene that decides whether you have blond hair or not.
>Just kidding, it's actually the combination of hundreds of genetic and phoneme interactions that interface with the diet you are fed in youth and the environmental conditions you were exposed to
No, there's actually one particular gene that gets studied and written about all the time for its role in mediating bitter taste signaling and whether or not subjects have a bad reaction to the taste of vegetables like broccoli. But nice job trying to sound smart I guess.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAS2R38

>this fucking video's thumbnail
Good god I'm laughing harder than I should be.

Attached: fat potato.png (641x479, 553K)

A variety of factors.
1) Stereotype based on biological reality (most children can taste bitterness in vegetables or taste it stronger)
2) Stereotype based on social reality (save for cases where the parents know how to cook AND bother to cook at the same standards they prepare food for themselves, vegetables tend to be done terribly and turn off kids).
3) Ubiquity (eggplants could be a better candidate, since they taste somewhat bitter even as an adult, but they aren't all that common compared to broccoli).

Brussels are shit

idk i never really got where that came from. i've only known maybe 2 people that didn't like it

I really like them with a spritz of lemon juice.

Attached: B0AFE872-4178-4643-A4AF-500B22263756_1400x.jpg (500x375, 15K)

It probably has to do with hating trees/nature on a subconscious level

>tfw live in the Middle East
>tfw all the kids here eat Cauliflower with lemon juice
>watch Amerilards hate on this food that looked like green Cauliflower
Are Brocolli different from Cauliflower taste Wise? Or is it another case of White Americans being shitty cooks and messing it up

I think it's just American kids, and even then cartoons exaggerate things for comedic effect.

As a kid i loved brocolli

I grew in the midwest and the only way people prepared broccoli for some reason was steamed with no seasoning. I thought it was incredibly nasty, and to this day I hate steamed vegetables. However I love them cooked in any other way, especially baked. Hell I even prefer raw to steamed.

I loved broccoli as a kid, still do. Though I preferred it raw back then, I like it better cooked now.

you are both passive faggots that deserve to get wedgies

>ghost broccoli

I've always hated fruit. Even as a kid I liked broccoli and other vegetables, but hated grapes, peaches, etc. Melons are alright I guess.

No they are sweet, just cut them small. I hate when people try to eat them like apples.

My mom told me spinach was treestars to get me to eat it
I didn't grow up to be big and strong, but I appreciate her effort

Try baked barbecue beans, user. Fucking tasty.

I think because so many people boil that shit instead of cooking it properly

Never liked broccoli. Cauliflower is where it's at.

Popeye was great for selling spinach too.

I remember my older brother was a big fan of Southpark when we were kids, and it got him to call me a Jew constantly, sometimes unconsciously. I dunno why my parents never tried to put a stop to it. It must’ve been awkward as fuck whenever anybody not in the loop noticed him doing it.

Way too many people in my friendgroup are not appropriately ashamed that they are picky and they only eat crap.

One of them has gout now. He blames it on “genetics.”

Yes, children generally don't like broccoli.

I disagree. I know plenty of fat fucks that don’t cook for themselves, only eat garbage from fast food and convenience stores (and lots of it), and just plain don’t get enough exercise. I know some fat people that love to cook too, though, but at least the cooking promotes a little movement and work ethic, and it can be easier on dieting when they’re sick of being fat.

To be fair to your point though, I know a few scarecrows that eat only cheap garbage too. A lot of it is metabolism and portion control I think.

>In a more general sense, children have more acute sense of taste than adults do. Most vegetables genuinely do taste bad to kids, because they can taste the bitterness in them that adults are no longer able to detect. Broccoli just became the iconic symbol of this general refusal.

Kinda fun, however I must say I loved eating broccoli as a cream.
There is just something delicious about it in cream form that other veggies can't match.

The versions that most children would know are near-mush variety cooked up in a school cafeteria with american cheese, or the straight-from-the-can-to-the-microwave homestyle. Very few think to season and roast or grill veggies so they either have to be eaten raw or they taste like shit. Kind of like how a lot of people don't like a salad because theyr'e used to 95% iceberg with assorted other veggies making up the other 5%, then just drowning that shitstorm in ranch dressing. They've never had a proper caesar salad with romaine and parmasean, or something they make up themselves. I like to do half spinach, half romaine, with red onions, hungarian peppers, and grilled chicken.

I think it's trope fitting for burgerland kids only...for some reason they really don't vegetables there (maybe they taste bad?).

Attached: amerika.gif (482x800, 29K)

>the parents know how to cook AND bother to cook at the same standards they prepare food for themselves

While we’re on the subject of kids hating vegetables because of influences like cartoons, can we also talk about how they are conditioned to LOVE crappy poor quality food like lunchables and chicken tendies? I think that’s just about as harmful as them avoiding vegetables. I hate that every restaurant needs to have a “kids menu,” and instead of being good food in small portions, it’s always the same three or four dishes that are either deep fried or smothered in cheese.

A shit ton of cartoons make out like delivery pizza is the best food there is, and sure it can be good, but most of the big chains are kinda shit.

>scarecrows are healthy
My grandad was a skinny fuck and very active but he still got diabetes.

Broccoli tastes different from cauliflower. I’ve always found cauliflower to be kinda tasteless, like potatoes- it works best if you season it- but broccoli has its own distinct flavor that can actually get kinda strong depending how you cook it. I’d say in taste broccoli is closer to other green vegetables like asparagus or brussel sprouts. The texture is like cauliflower, though.

Broccoli is a bit more aromatic.

I think its one of those passive-aggressive tactics to discourage people from bringing children, such as not having high-chairs or booster seats available, or enforcing a policy of removing crying children if their parents can't get the little cunts under control

? I'm an amerifag and I loved broccoli, salads, spinach, carrots, ect.

You seem like the exception, not the rule.

Red peppers are fine but green peppers suck.

i was one of those kids that ate too much carrots and turned orange a few times

I did not say they were healthy. They’re simply not fat.

Nothing wrong with Broccoli, but in my country kids get conditioned to not like it because ads in TV always suggest that kids must hate all vegetables.

Broccoli sucks. It's weird. I find the scent appetizing but it turns to trash the moment I taste it.
I didn't find out how much of a terrible cook my mom was until I started cooking for myself. Turns out rice is actually pretty good if you don't boil it for an hour in a plastic bag.

I never cared much for broccoli until I had to cook for my own. It's good if you stir-fry it until slightly browned with some lemon juice. Hmmmm

In my experience with restaurants, it’s not something they do willingly but because it’s expected of them to be accommodating to the guests. I don’t know who the fuck started this shit but it’s altogether a bad idea. I assume grocery stores trying to sell garbage ingredients to parents taught them to cook these things, and then parents began asking restaurants to carry them for their kids. It’s never discouraging to the parents at all to feed their kids this stuff: the kids actually like that shit, and to a lot of parents just making sure the kids eat something with moderate nutrition at all is a success.

Honestly it’s just a slight pain to the restaurant. It’d be easier to just make whatever they usually make but smaller, instead of having to have shit like macaroni on hand exclusively for the kids mac n cheese. It’s not profitable to give seats to people who are only getting a cheap 5 dollar meal too, but charging more for shit like chicken tenders is considered scandalous.

I tried broccoli once and almost has to get taken to the emergency room after the violent throw up episode i endured afterwards

An hour? The plastic bag is supposed to reduce the cooking time. What is wrong with this madwoman?

Were you allergic?

Well it helps that crappy poor quality food is consistent. It's pretty hard to fuck up lunchables or tendies or mac and cheese. Reading this thread it seems a lot of parents find it hard to actually make certain foods like broccoli appetizing for either adults or children. Like what kind of fucking weirdo actually enjoys broccoli "steamed with no seasoning"? I feel bad for that user.

No it just tasted that bad to me

Yeah, I'm American and most kids didn't mind vegetables here. I'm not sure what you're on about. We're not fat because of what we eat (which is pretty similar to most northern European diets anyway) we're fat because of HOW MUCH we eat because a normal portion here is like the size of a small baby. If you're gonna stereotype us you should do it correctly.

>Tfw used to watch Popeye on TV in the 90s
>Began eating spinach ironically
>Ironical affinity turned into a lasting craving for it

Attached: 1488908204549.gif (750x514, 172K)

That episode made broccoli look so damned delicious at the end.

Attached: ppg broccoloids.jpg (320x240, 40K)

It's not so much that good food making skills is hard, it's just easier and faster to make it the shitty way. That sounds great when you have to feed a kid about a thousand times per year.

the idea to cartoon characters hating vegetables is they change their mind and start eating them after,is not that hard to understand you retards

broccoli only tastes bitter if you don't know how to cook it or if you're one of the oddballs who likes to eat it raw.

I can pop it raw no problem at all. It has a 'rotten' smell to me if it's cooked. Same with spinach. I can have baby spinach leaves all over a good salad, but the minute that shit hits warm water, into the garbage it goes.

every time I've tried Brussels sprouts they always taste mushy so i still don't like them, Broccoli is good as long as it's not just boiled

>RELEASE THE CHEESE!
broccoli in cheese sause? Yes please!

Attached: 20190408_010655.jpg (1262x934, 356K)

>that last part

Attached: Screen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0.jpg (1200x800, 151K)

As someone who doesn't like cheese, I guess I never learned to like it.

If I could find a good seasoning I could probably eat broccoli more regularly. As it is I eat other greens (like string beans).

Doug made me want to eat beets.

Attached: 62DC606E-D559-4DF5-9DCA-F35388A4EE15.jpg (240x180, 12K)

>t. PTC Genelet

you know burguers have vegetables right?

Boomer parents have no idea how to cook and have ruined most food.

carrots are actually sweet though.

It's clearly American kids like candy over healthy foods, while that Asian one sounds like they hate spicy foods.

>steamed broccoli with cheese
Is there a more kino side dish?

>I think cartoons glorifying junk food and constantly saying vegetables are gross is partly to blame for childhood obesity.
Very likely user. Like how furries are thanks to Disney's bullshit.

Sad to hear that user, that's likely a family pass down. My mom got it thanks to that, and I'm likely going to get it too even though I'm not that hefty to be called obese at all.

t.Arnold

Attached: Skincells01.png (572x426, 268K)

>too much of a share
>on an anonymous site
Are you a woman?

This
My mom would steam the shit out of it until it was mushy garbage. Plus even if I dont eat broccoli and have bad gas it smells like broccoli.

I remember it tasting awful when I was a kid, now I like it. It depends on how it's cooked too.

When I was a kid I went over to a friends out for some OG Xbox time(I still had a Sega Genesis) and they asked if I wanted to stay for dinner. His mom boiled all their vegetables and didn't add anything except a token amount of salt. I come from a Mexican/German household so all my vegetables were cooked into the gravy my mom made.

If his household was typical, then I think the main reason kids are portrayed hating stuff like Broccoli is because they aren't cooked right.

>My grandad was a skinny fuck and very active but he still got diabetes.
It's almost certainly genetics when that happens. Over 90% of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight* and even if you eat like shit your sugar intake isn't actually considered an independent risk factor** for getting type 2 diabetes so much as something associated with the thing that is a major risk factor which is being overweight.
asmbs.org/resources/weight-and-type-2-diabetes-after-bariatric-surgery-fact-sheet
>More than 90% of type 2 diabetics are overweight or obese
diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/diabetes-food-myths/myth-sugar-causes-diabetes
>With Type 2 diabetes, though we know sugar doesn’t directly cause Type 2 diabetes, you are more likely to get it if you are overweight. You gain weight when you take in more calories than your body needs, and sugary foods and drinks contain a lot of calories.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23880355
>In the present study, we investigated the association between dietary intake of carbohydrates and the risk of type 2 diabetes.
>These prospective findings suggest that the intakes of starch and sucrose are not associated, but that those of fructose and glucose are inversely associated with diabetes risk.
diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/
>Is diabetes caused by eating sugar?
>A diet high in calories from any source (including sugar) contributes to weight gain and weight gain increases your risk for type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease. Type 2 diabetes is not caused by sugar, but by genetics and lifestyle factors.

You're all crazy. Broccoli tastes like warm garbage.

I heard in a lot of your mainstream media that you dislike vegetables... could be my wrong assumption.

>for some reason they really don't vegetables there (maybe they taste bad?).
Not sure if user is brainlet or a speedreader or both.

>I have no clue as to how this trope came to be, but it's usually exclusive to America.
It is, and I'll tell you why (like I do every time this thread comes up).

American food culture got fucked up in the 1950s because of a combination of four factors. The onset of the cold war, the space race, the post war baby boom, and the debut of commercial microwave ovens.

The baby boom meant suddenly you had a shitload of people to feed. The cold war meant that everyone was afraid of the nuclear apocalypse, and needed food that could be canned and last forever. The space race gave us tang, and a ton of freeze drying until the flavor was all gone. Preservation was the core focus, so fresh vegetable that actually taste good? Not so much. The debut of microwave ovens meant even less effort went into cooking since the new fad meant you didn't have to. Just press a button and get a green sludge that's supposedly nutritious.

Food is impacted heavily by what's going on in your world, and 1950s America got hit with a lot of stuff that screwed over making food fresh. So what happens when that huge population surge of the baby boom grows up on vegetables that were canned and boiled until they're brown and tasteless? They create a cultural idea that broccoli is nasty, and the meme gets perpetuated by the entertainment they create. They usually never learn to cook it either, because that's how their parents made it and they don't know any other way.
America's only just now starting to get over it as the boomers die off.

>You're all crazy. Broccoli tastes like warm garbage.
>broccoli only tastes bitter if you don't know how to cook it or if you're one of the oddballs who likes to eat it raw.
Why do you all keep pretending this isn't a well documented genetic thing?
It's not that complicated. Just accept your sensory experiences for tasting food aren't the same as everyone else's. You could be one of the people with that variant of the relevant gene who can taste what makes broccoli a hated food to a lot of people. Or you be one of the people with that gene's other variant who can't taste it. It's not a difference of opinion for the same taste, it's literally extreme enough of a difference in the experience itself that you can run tests where you give participants a chemical similar to broccoli in its action on taste receptors and the ones with the non-taster variant of the relevant gene won't taste anything even though the other sort of people will taste something awful from the same chemical.

But bell peppers aren't spicy.

Like at all

When I was a kid I hated broccoli so goddamn much, so yes.

>one of the oddballs who likes to eat it raw.
The stems are perfectly fine raw, not bitter in the slightest. The florets are totally garbage though

>t tastes great when stir fried like in all the chinese dishes.
Celery and cabbage also taste great stir fried, but boiled or steamed makes them into a soggy rag.

It doesn't taste bitter. It tastes like licking the brown-black drip that comes out of a garbage bag. It's revolting.

I never liked it as a kid, no matter how my parents prepared it.
Broccoli, peas, and corn are the few vegetables I absolutely -cannot- eat.

Corn doesn't get enough shit. People who say they like it lather it in butter and salt.

>American food culture got fucked up in the 1950s because of a combination of four factors. The onset of the cold war, the space race, the post war baby boom, and the debut of commercial microwave ovens.
It had more to do with the Depression followed by wartime rationing that caused a significant drop in the quality of the American diet.
>America's only just now starting to get over it as the boomers die off
Actually that was more the fault of their parents and boomers made the first attempts at getting away from the postwar diet starting with the 70s health and natural foods movement.

I loved broccoli as a kid and still do. Lima beans suck

Attached: 1950s diet.png (1136x684, 90K)

ah... the good old days...

if they are red they aren't, Green, Yellow, and other colors have some spiciness to it. You must be Hispanic or with that Spaniard culture to not think peppers are spicy to some varying degrees.

The 1950s-60s also saw a huge spike in heart disease in the US. Two presidents (Eisenhower and LBJ) succumbed to it.

Diet may not have been the only factor, there were other ones such as the terrible amount of air and water pollution back then.

>It had more to do with the Depression followed by wartime rationing that caused a significant drop in the quality of the American diet.

yeah it was primarily the war and all the canned/processed garbage that got produced

>Diet may not have been the only factor, there were other ones such as the terrible amount of air and water pollution back then.
That is also correct and the boomers were the first people to say "Hey we ought to do something about this."

oh dude when i was a kid id squirt that stuff into my mouth a drink some

The postwar years brought us such culinary wonders as Velveeta cheese, Lucky Charms, and Kraft cheese singles. However, the wheels were set in motion during the Depression with the invention of cheap, ready-made foods for the poor such as vomit chocolate, Lil Debbie snack cakes, and Kraft Mac'N'Cheese.

>The vast majority of parents cook broccoli by steaming for whatever reason. This takes out all the flavor and makes it feel like a wet sock in your mouth. For decades parents have blamed children for being picky instead of realizing their cooking is terrible. It tastes great when stir fried like in all the chinese dishes.
THIS. Whenever you ask "Why do Americans who were born in the 50s-60s and were in their 30-40s when they were making cartoons in the 90s hate broccoli?", remember that THIS is what post-war American cooking was like.

Going off ancedotal evidence here, but my grandma on my mother's side and apparently a lot of people like her were terrified of food that was "dirty" and got taken in by the "clean living" of only eating veggies out of cans and powdered/dried stuff, probably from the Depression.

Attached: vegetable-aspic-14789768.jpg (400x267, 58K)

I have picky ass tastes and ofc it means I prefer crap junk food and hate healthy stuff. And I actively try to expand and eat other stuff like veggies every few months, but it always makes me wanna vomit.

Attached: 3560A494-CE07-4A5A-A57A-903D2553029A.jpg (320x180, 22K)

My mother was born in the 50s and although she's not as clueless about food as my grandparents' generation, she does have terribly silly ideas like refusing to touch organ meats (despite their high nutritional value) and also thinks breast feeding is disgusting and can't seem to accept the idea that breast milk may possibly be better for a baby than powdered formula.

I really don't like the taste of most candy bars. Snickers just tastes like a hard, gooey mass that's tough to chew and hurts my jaw, but as a kid I would have eaten them without any problem.

I've never lost my taste for Reeses Cups though, still love those.

Are you thinking of chilis? Green and yellow BELL peppers are sweet when cooked.

You all remember the McDonalds Arch Deluxe? They ran an ad campaign that went like "This is a burger for the adults" showing repulsed kids trying to eat the burger which had spinach baked into it or something.

The Arch Deluxe evidently wasn't popular with adults either, it was a huge flop that lost McDonalds a shitton of money. Ad campaigns (aside from the one you mentioned) also did stuff like showing Ronald McDonald doing "adult" things like playing golf.

my dad grew up on a farm and to this day washes the food he eats 24 hours before eating it again again just before cooking
he also puts ice in his milk because they didn't have a refrigerator until he was like 15 or 16

It failed because nobody goes to McDonalds expecting haute cuisine. You can put lipstick on a pig, but...

>Velveeta cheese
My family calls it shells and cheese. My dad said it like that at some fast food place or restaurant that had it and had no idea what he meant.

I read about it on TVTropes a few weeks ago.

They're good but I prefer white reeses these days.

In Inside out, they serve broccoli on pizza. In japan it was changed to bell peppers. Yesterday I was watching the last episode of Mob Psycho, where a giant broccoli grows in the middle of the city. It wasn't until the last 10 seconds did they realize it was broccoli because some broccoli seeds were missing. The point is, I find it interesting that in japan broccoli is so uncommon it wouldn't be recognized.

Fine, we're talking about healthy foods, so tell me what I should eat Yea Forums. I'm tired (literally) of eating chips and shit outside of meals. It's bogging me down.

It's because an entire generation of parents boiled the shit out of every vegetable. And when you do that to Brussel sprouts, the sulfur seeps out and tastes like shit.

Kale.

I only eat those raw before so if they taste sweet when cooked, I never knew.

I love broccoli.

'Specially dipped in ketchup.

Eat a fucking carrot.

When I was a kid I hated all vegetables. As an adult I've softened to most like mushrooms, cooked onion, carrots, peas, even broccoli if prepared well. Theres still many I cant stand eating, usually fresh vegetables like cabbage makes me gag but strandely I LOVE Sauerkraut.

The absolute WORST of the worst is coriander (I think you Americans call it cilantro). I cant eat it or any food with even trace amounts of it, I instantly dry heave.

Either you're thinking of something else or your taste buds are messed up. Bell peppers are sweet when ripe or slightly bitter when unripe, never spicy.

Attached: bell-peppers.jpg (725x483, 38K)

cabbage is my personal favorite

I mean of course there's weirdos who refuse to eat vegetables even into adulthood, but most people get over being picky eaters by the time they're like 10.

Good fucking lord, why? Rice is easy to make good. Just toss it in the rice cooker with a some water and michiu, wait 15 minutes and its fucking done. Some cookers come with a little basket so you can lightly steam some veggies while you make the rice. And during that time, its easy to pan fry a couple porkchops or some chicken breast.

New inventions like the microwave and TV dinners were a big cause of that.

>New inventions like the microwave and TV dinners were a big cause of that.
Microwaves weren't really a thing until the 70s.

I never even heard of a Microwave until I was 12 in 1984.

>Do real kids actually not like broccoli?
thats just a Jewish thing

>having the brain mutation that makes cilantro taste like poison
My condolences

There are some stupid parents who only feed their kids garbage here who grow up hating vegetables, and they in turn end up raising kids who eat garbage. it's not the norm but it isn't extremely rare either

Would you call it medium rare?

I can't really taste a lot of bitterness, it's some weird little gene thing. My science teacher back in high school passed around these strips that everyone else in the class thought tasted disgustingly bitter, but I couldn't taste it. Everyone else in my family could too, I just got the weird little recessive gene.

>My science teacher back in high school passed around these strips that everyone else in the class thought tasted disgustingly bitter
What? Where was this?

Broccoli is just worse cauliflower
My nigga

In the USA.

Alright I can see you're scared.

Not 100% a fan of raw Broccoli but you can do so much with it. Sesame sauce makes it amazing cheese too.

Scared of what? Iowa, if you want the state. I didn't think it mattered, I have no idea why you even asked.

if you hold your breath while chewing it aint so bad, thats what i did as a kid because despite not liking it i knew it was health food and just needed to get past the taste

>Iowa
And, just to be clear, you think what your teacher did was normal? You haven't like, heard anything or...

Attached: 1486510860150.png (253x199, 6K)

It was less of a taste and more of a texture thing for me.

yea i hated the hairy texture fuck that

Spit it out, dogfucker.

Have you never heard of PTC strips, user? It's not an unusual test for discussing genetic differences.

What did he say the strips were?

Yes, I know that, but in Iowa...

What is your fucking point?

Broccoli IS fucking disgusting, there are many far better vegetables to eat and not waste cheese on.

PTC Taste tests were used in a Eugenics test in 1932, in Iowa. There were a lot of Eugenicists in the Midwest around that time. This was likely where your Biology teacher got the idea.
user's trying to imply your biology teacher is a Eugenicist, when he probably just wanted to teach kids about genetics in a simple and memorable way. Because he's a fucking jackass.

My dad was actually good at cooking
but my mom's cooking helped me understand why most kids might not. Incompetent cooking can ruin ANY ingredients, no matter how good, and it's pretty fucking rampant.
the cabbage family is particularly susceptible to it, as it's full of sulfurogenic compounds that pour out as soon as you're dumb enough to boil the fucks

on top of that, as a group, kids have sensitive digestion, and their nutritional needs are largely focused on sugar and protein (too much fiber really fucks you up at that age) with hypersensitivity to anything remotely toxic, so kids naturally hate bitter crap and unnecessary greenery that's really more important for adults' diets.

reminds me of that time we had to do an experiment where we drooled into a tube with bits of potato inside, waited for the enzyme to dissolve the starch, and used iodine to test for its presence
didn't work for me. turns out I don't have that enzyme. probably why no matter how much I chew starch, it never "starts tasting sweet" like people claim (I assumed that was a "just try it, you'll like it" scam for bland food), but also why I never get cavities maybe? I also hear there's just genetic immunity to dental bacteria.

I had Brussels sprouts once when I was in Elementary School. It actually wasn't that bad.

>the cabbage family is particularly susceptible to it, as it's full of sulfurogenic compounds that pour out as soon as you're dumb enough to boil the fucks
How about celery? It's great stir-fried or baked, but boiled or steamed is disgusting.

In which the last part of a post reminds me in which website I am

So where did this "Kids, eat your veggies" meme come from when they don't really need them to the extent adults do.

One thing I liked about Ben 10 Alien Force was that they had Ben going crazy over smoothies. I wonder if there were many boys who decided to try those after watching him enjoy them so much.

No show should be obligated to do portray healthy eating habits, but they certainly have the opportunity to do so.

Please remember to cook parsnips sufficiently before eating because you'll be sorry if you don't.

At the end of the day you just want your kids to eat all their food.
So just eat your fucking food, it's good for you.

I'm slightly jealous of you two, our biology teacher was fucking dull. We never did neat experiments like these.

Doug was right about liver, it's fucking disgusting.

it's actually the ONLY vegetable i could stand as a kid. to this day i only eat them raw.

Liver is a bit metallic but it's ok. Liverwurst Pate though, mate I could eat straight from the wrapper.

Attached: 730-gdcom1.jpg (400x400, 27K)

American children are extremely picky because our diets consist of so much sugar and salt. When I was a kid I wouldn't touch any vegetable that wasn't peas, green beans or carrots. Everything else just tasted bitter because I wasn't used to eating anything that wasn't chicken nuggets or grapes.

>lil' kid me
>pizzatime with friend's family
>the mom put thin slices of paprika (that's what bell peppers are, right?) on the pizza
>this shit is spicy as fuck, go to kitchen to have steady supply of cold water to try to wash it out of my mouth, tears in my eyes from the pure spice.
>did not enjoy pizzatime.

Then again, i think my palate wasn't exactly well developed. My dad dictated the food at home, and he banned onion and anything more spicy than it from our diet. Moving out did wonders for my variety. Now paprika tastes like a spicy apple to me, and i'll eat jalapeno dishes.

>peas, green beans or carrots
Awful, awful, and (when cooked) awful. I always looked forward to broccoli as a kid, taste just varies from person to person.

Celery is shit. Its just a sickle-cell cucumber designed to put some sort of matter into a child's stomach so they don't bitch about being hungry. If you want a child to have a healthy snack with minimal sugar, make them a fucking quesadilla.

Part of my family is worried my younger cousin has wound up literally retarded in part due to poor nutrition being raised on shit food, because my aunt is picky as fuck and also can’t cook for shit and has never fed him right.

>When I was a kid I wouldn't touch any vegetable that wasn't peas, green beans or carrots.
What, they don't have Corn where you live?

I’m not a nutritionist, but I’m pretty sure kids still need the vitamins and minerals present in vegetables, at least to an extent.

Also there’s plenty of junk we’ve managed to create that tastes good but actually holds very little traditional value, like candy, and parents need to find a place to draw a line between “real food” and garbage that kids can’t actually live on, and if the parents aren’t very well educated on food, they just kinda need to guess and chance it on what feels right. Vegetables are healthy enough so that you can’t go wrong pushing them. Nobody suffers malnutrition from eating a good portion of their intake in veggies.

Would it turn out like the time I ate a bunch of raw garlic? That was a painful experience.

Attached: Mr President.png (512x384, 253K)

At the risk of sounding like a jackass, why don't we just put vitamins and shit in the junkfood?

Paprika is a spice. I’m mostly familiar with it in powdered form, like to sprinkle on top of deviled eggs. It sounds like what you’re talking about may be chili peppers or jalapeños.

I loved raw carrots as a kid. My gramma would soak carrot sticks in ice water around the holidays and for some reason that made them even better.

newfags get out

We do do that already with a lot of sugary breakfast cereals and with other stuff like white rice and white bread, to make them not completely nutritionally worthless. I think a lot of orange juices have vitamin d added as well. But I don’t think it’s ever considered an adequate substitute for a well rounded diet, and I guess junk food producers either don’t want to invest in making their snacks artificially nutritional, or haven’t figured out a way to do so that still tastes as good.

I didn't as a kid but i do now.
I think it's an american thing though, everyone i knew didn't cared.
However everyone i knew hated tomato for some stupid reason.

Paprika are indeed Bell Peppers.
But Bell peppers are extremely mild,so I suspect is right and you are talking about Jalapenos.

Attached: PaprikaJalapeno.jpg (424x480, 37K)

My mom hates it, so she refused to make it as I was growing up. So got no real opinion on it.

I like eating it plain sometimes, either on the cob or on its own. I rather like plain flavor though, like water.

I mean organ meats are terribly unappetizing unless you're into the whole nature's bounty type of mindset. That breast feeding thing is a red flag though.

Just eat a varied diet silly. Uhh, maybe use something like cronometer to get an idea of what foods contain what macro and micronutrients.

I'm vegan so biased, but just don't overeat too much of the good shit. A single vegetable or meat won't work magic.

I always ate my broccoli. I can't stand tomatoes though, fuck that awful thing. I pick it out of every salad, take it off every burger, the only time its good is when its a sauce or cut up too much to be noticed.

/cock/ should have been brought back

Sweet corn is the shit though, steam a couple of cobs and I’ll be set for the whole day.

When I was a kid whenever we ate at mcdonalds I would dump fucktons of salt on my fries, like to the point where it was more salt than fries.
Thinking about it makes me want to fucking puke

Amen

I never liked any vegetables as a kid, but broccoli has always been the least gross vegetable of them all. Now beans... those were the bane of my existence

Holy shit! That was savage! Fucking chad.

youre the best thing in this thread user

Attached: 1547785141955.jpg (888x789, 209K)

Everytime I read about someone trying carrot juice, they hate. I tried some expecting disappointment, but it was delicious. Literally tasted how I expected it to.

choked on my spit

Also when characters automatically label anchovys as disgusting. I think Futurama is the only show that took them in a positive light.

The only one who liked them was the cast's resident moron.

Sometimes the idiot will be the only one with a good taste in something.

Growing up I liked broccoli, but only if my mom cooked it. Everybody else sucked at making it, but my mom knew what she was doing.

Difference was, they boiled. She steamed.

This thread is more proof that media can really change our understanding of food

Bugs Bunny essentially invented the whole rabbits and carrots thing. Homer Simpson is constantly played up as to just how fat he is, but he doesn't even hit 300 pounds. There are cartoons that act like veggies and seafood are gross! Crazy

Show me your eating broccoli face.

Attached: 1511939487766.webm (1280x720, 2.89M)

Where the fug did people think mice ate cheese?

It sounds like a bad commercial but - at 37 years old I now realise that apart from vitamins, vegetables are also a great source of fiber.

I've developed a condition known as diverticulitis, it's kinda like a hernia for the intestine except theres no pain. The herniated sections can trap shit and get infected (Diverticulosis) and that can be painful and it blocks your internal plumbing. This was all caused because apart from potato and corn I ate almost no veggies as a kid meaning no fiber creating tary shit, a strain on the intestines.

tl;dr - Eat your vegetables or you'll literally wreck your own shit up after 30.

At least sometimes they would sneak their way into cheese cellars and eat that stuff.

This reminds me of a memory
>on granma's farm, family's sitting down for an early dinner
>fresh-picked steamed broccoli from the garden, always delicious
>get a plateful, take a bite
>wait a second
>broccoli isnt supposed to be this gritty
>on closer inspection the broccoli was infested with cabbage worms

My brother in law is like that. He takes pride in not eating vegetables or fruits. He's underweight as fuck and looks as if he'd collapse.

I liked broccoli until cartoons started saying it tasted bad.
What I'm saying is calling broccoli shitty does affect the opinion of dumb kids like me and fuck that.

Asians love spicy shit. They probably just aren't used to bell peppers.

Nature was just giving you some extra protein with your veggies. You should thank it.

Attached: 24e62bdf42832a840883a754a44efd23.jpg (577x650, 94K)

For me it's never been the taste of brassicas which put me off, it's the smell. I've tried them cooked in every way possible; boiling, steaming, roasting, grilling, you name it, I've given it a shot, and every single method makes them smell like a horrifying hotbox car fart. I can't even get them close to my mouth because the odor makes me so nauseous.

No other vegetables do this to me. Only cabbages, broccoli, sprouts, and kale. I wish I could enjoy them, but I just can't.

>asking Yea Forums
>not based /cock/
Ah, those were the days.

Coriander is usually what we burgers say when referring to the sweet yet savory spice made from the coriander plant's seeds. We call the seasoning made from coriander plant leaves cilantro. They're completely different in taste even though from the same plant. Cilantro tastes like garbage while coriander tastes amazing.

I always hated sweet peas because I hated the taste of veggies with sugar in them, even if it's natural. That's way I used to hate boiled carrots. They boil them with sugar to get kids to eat them. At least in my school district they did that. Not one person eats them. It's just a waste of good food.

I used to be one of the kids who only ate veggies because I was forced too. That's how I fell in love with broccoli. I dropped my country stake and I couldn't get second one so I ate the broccoli, which had cheese on it. It's my favorite vegetable now and I eat it with and without cheese. And sometimes raw.

Because it’s fuckin gross is why. When I was a kid I threw a screaming tantrum any time I was offered vegetables. The only way to make me stop was to get me chicken nuggets. After a few times of that, I stopped being given vegetables. I’m not a fucking rabbit, I only eat MEAT like god intended

>be pseudo-white with an asian father
>every meal in my childhood was homecooked and packed with vegetables
>everything was seasoned to perfection
>friends kept begging to come over for dinner

I feel terrible for you crackers (except maybe the French and Italians.)

Attached: 1553465208426.png (479x447, 247K)

>used to love tomatos
>would eat raw tomatoes right out of the garden
>take big bite out of fresh tomato
>jk it wasn’t fresh it only looked like it, it was full of bugs
It’s been like 20 years and I still can’t eat tomato without wanting to throw up. I resent those bugs for ruining something I loved

>It’s like how South Park made an entire generation start using “Jew” as an insult again.

Jew has been an insult consistently for like 6000 years.

Attached: Jews are liked by no one.jpg (1471x4282, 778K)

This guy looks and eats like he just got out of prison.

It's funny how people like you exist, but unironically.

Everybody loves tomatoes, user. Everybody.

Attached: Picking-up-worms-and-Hummingbird-moths.jpg (960x720, 59K)

> But once your parents find out what you hate they’ll be sure to make sure they cook with that ingredient as often as possible.
But why? That seems dickish.

And you probably weigh 300+ pounds as well, just as God intended.

Stop touching Mr. Mind inappropriately.

>he doesnt weigh 300 pounds and curl double that
non-american detected

Attached: pathetic.jpg (1144x729, 57K)

That worm looks tasty.

DO NOT EAT INNOCENT WORMS

I’m 250 pounds of pure muscle because I don’t eat any sissy ass plants. My shit logs are so dense from all the meat I eat that I had to break them up before flushing.

They aren't popular in american markets. Some companies have tried making vitamin infused sodas, even the big name companies, but they never took off. Somehow people feel that the presence of the nutrition is stealing from their full enjoyment potential of a shitty junk food.

It also doesn’t help that those sodas were fucking disgusting and had like an 8 hour after taste. I remember get one for free and it was the worst thing I had ever drank.

>oh we just need to expose little billy to that thing he hates more and then he will love it
Seems to be a thing all parents do even if they had it done to them. There’s shit people don’t like and that’s fine

Suffering builds character.

hahahhahahah

Is it an American thing? Like I've never seen it in my country, Britcoms or anime

Then how do sweet things not over load kids if they've more acute taste? I find so many sweet things I loved as a kid too abrasive. Even shit like pasta sauce or Frosties

I used to be that way as a kid, I cringe and feel bad any time thinking back on it.
>at some party or something when I was like 4
>mom gets me a plate of food
>intentionally avoids everything I actually like and gets everything I don’t
>tells me I will eat it all
>take one bite of salad and am disgusted
>throw plate across the room and start running around knocking over anything I can get my hands on
>this rampage is also accompanied by a constant crying shriek sound
>finally get caught after leaving a path of destruction
>am having such an autistic meltdown that mom is forced to appease my demands just to calm me down so I don’t have a heart attack or something

>"Fine" not Fine
What?

I love broccoli, but it has no fucking place on pizza.

Kids enjoy sweetness because of breastmilk. They dislike bitterness because they are more sensitive to it. Teens and adults become more accepting of bitter things and vegetables as they age because their tastebuds have dulled out and it’s not as gross anymore. Similarly, with no need for breastmilk anymore, sweet things like candy become less appealing.

I used to love M&Ms, but I don’t want anything to do with them now. Though part of that may be because of how much they hurt my teeth for some reason

Yeah, for most kids it was, boiled to death with zero seasoning so the smell was enough to put you off and the texture was like trying to eat a wet fart.

Biologically and realistically, corn is a vegetable. Our bodies don't care about this and react to corn as if it's a starch like potato or bread.

It's mostly because of people cooking them steamed that gave them a bad name.
Steaming vegetables is not the right way to use vegetables. Period. There is not a single instance where a vegetable tastes better steamed than it does raw, let alone literally any other method of cooking.

Honestly this seems like the most reasonable explanation. Broccoli smells terrible, and too many people don’t know how to cook it to make it appealing. I don’t blame kids for not wanting to eat a smelly, flavorless weed that their no kitchen talent single mom dropped in the boiler then straight to the plate

Are you mexican or something?

Grilled corn on the cob is amazing, you're just a lowtaste faggot.

Imagining this scenario is killing my sides

To be fair beets are fucking delicious.

>mr. mind is being oppressed

Attached: fuck off worm.jpg (450x403, 181K)

Thanks user I needed a huge fucking laugh.

What's funny about this? I can hear my next-door neighbor's kids do this all day every day and sometimes at 3 AM. It's awful. Kids like this should be beaten until they learn to be quiet.

Attached: Old Man yells at cloud.jpg (680x383, 41K)

Bugs bunny made me like Cheetos as a kid because they were orange and actually made a similar crunch. Similarly, I always consider the “honey” in Winnie the Pooh to be cheese, and I would eat cheese because of that.

As for broccoli and other vegis hated on in cartoons, I always liked them. As a kid, my mom’s philosophy was that trying to keep junk food from my brothers and I would make us binge eat whenever we got the chance, so she let us eat anything we wanted whenever we wanted. It actually worked really well. My younger brother absolutely hates the taste of chocolate as an adult, I can’t stand cake frosting, and my older brother’s in prison and lives off of coffee and ramen. None of us were ever in danger of being over weight. In fact I was underweight until two years ago. Beans were the only thing I never liked, and that’s because of the texture

Biologically a pineapple is a vegetable too, but we classify it as a fruit for culinary purposes. Classifying plants for food purposes vs classifying them botanically can get very fucked up.

Sounds like your mom reaalllyy raised you all right if your older brother's in prison. I guess being able to eat anything you want whenever makes you grow up looser and believing things can just happen how you want them. Your mom seems to have just made up an excuse to not be a good parent. It's not even a good one.
>eh if i do this now you'll just do it when you're older why bother

This. Kids should be made to eat things they hate because they're annoying little shits and any suffering you can legally inflict on them is good therapy.

This doesn’t excuse the tantrum, but what was your mom thinking taking a four year old to a party and then basically intentionally pissing him off?

where all anons here, for example no one will know i replied to the third post in a well over 200 post thread.

>him
But that's just how moms are, to varying extent.

>my mom’s philosophy was that trying to keep junk food from my brothers and I would make us binge eat whenever we got the chance, so she let us eat anything we wanted whenever we wanted.
>it’s either no candy or all the candy you want

Was she not aware of the concept of moderation?

user mom did it for le lols.

>I raised him wrong as a joke

I’m increasingly becoming convinced that my mother may have been genuinely abusive and I just cannot grasp what a traditional normal mother is supposed to be like. I’ve got a friend that loves his mom unconditionally like in the movies and will forgive every single one of her faults and I just don’t fucking get it.

same reason they take kids to art museums before they can appreciate the panting.

Parents dont want kids to stay kids for very long, nore do they want them to grow up very fast. They all want some sort of bizarre mimicry where the kid pretends to be an adult but fails at it.

She gave birth to you so who cares if she abused you? You owe her your life.

Eggplants aren't something you eat raw, and even cooking you can fuck it up. Mediterranean and Eastern European cuisines have masteres eggplant though.

I can't tell if this is being ironic or not but I agree. She literally gave you life.

No she didn't, your father did. Women are just incubators for a man's seed. Guess you niggers never had real fathers though or you'd eat everything on your plates without grumbling to avoid a good whipping.

>cooked broccoli with black pepper and melted cheese

Attached: ahoge.jpg (689x741, 188K)

what did she do user?

Yeah, that’s the problem.

you're thinking about it wrong, she did not give you life, she thrust you screaming into existence. The primal biological sin of reproduction was committed she has a duty to make that up to you.

>The primal biological sin of reproduction
what are you going on about

Most of the stories I can recall that really bother me seem incredibly petty when looked at individually from an outside perspective. It’s only when looking at the big picture of her pattern of behaviors and attitudes that it feels like she was fucking up.

My sister’s stories are much juicier, though, because there’s an age gap between us and she grew up in a different time. My sis has told me that when she was four, my parents would have her hold the mirror for them to sniff coke off of. And there was the time, I think sis was in middle school, when my mother triggered a violent flashback in her to the time she was molested as a toddler, and then didn’t really have any sympathy at all when she had an anxiety attack over it. And she and my dad made a point to ritualistically burn a photo of her kissing her first boyfriend in front of her while yelling at her for being a slut.

I didn’t get it nearly as bad, but my mom was still the same person that treated my family this way.

Original sin.

Dude just kill your parents, the world will be a better place.

Religious sociopaths or just garden variety narcissists?

Yknow, you might be kidding, but this is honestly unironically a thought that comes to me sometimes. It doesn’t feel quite right to think this way, so I fight against it, but at the same time “oh sweaty you should love your mother no matter what she brought about the miracle of your existence through her own suffering and you owe her :))))” doesn’t feel quite right either, so I gotta find something between the two spectrums to reconcile with.

To bring a new life into a world that will mostly be suffering is a terrible thing to commit upon anyone, is what user is trying to say.

>a lot of people like her were terrified of food that was "dirty"
It's not only about washing, also overcooking. Gran's broccoli resembles dark green mush, she cooks it for an hour. She refuses to eat crispy blanched or slightly roasted ones, because it's 'unhygienic' and 'it grows in the dirt, who knows what they use to grow it's. Yeah gran, you'll get rid of that by overbooking it

Oh she was definitely an awful parent. I have no shortage of stories and mean words involving her lack of parenting. Ironically, I was talking to her a few months ago and she blamed me for all of her failures as a parent because I was “difficult towards everything she tried.”

The woman isn’t even capable of taking care of herself, she knows nothing about moderation. She used to drink an entire jumbo bottle of cheap wine straight from the bottle every single night when I was in high school.
Honestly, I have only remained sober my whole life because she was always drunk or high while I was a teen

Mom killed herself years ago. It was in the middle of my sister’s study abroad program in europe for college, and she had to beg for emergency bereavement leave to interrupt the middle of it that their policy doesn’t ordinarily award, so she could help arrange and attend the funeral.

aside from your massive fedora how the hell did any of that give you religious.

Narcissist. It’s so weird, because mom wasn’t ordinarily a prude about anything but her daughters. She let my brother fuck every girl in the neighborhood and didn’t even get mad at his first pregnancy scare, she was very open talking about sex to her friends and sisters and mother, and she had two husbands, a third fiancé that she didn’t successfully marry, and a bunch of flings through her life. But she suddenly just would up and slutshame my sister when she was a teen.

Figured you're a girl.

The photo burning and slut calling just for a kiss reminds me of that movie Carrie, and her mom was a religious nutcase, albeit well meaning in her own mind.

I’m sorry.

Outside of fresh salads, I can't imagine eating eitger Hungarian paprika or Bulgarian bell pepper raw

I always thought that the stereotype came from people not cooking it properly, especially with how often it's shown to be mushy green crap

poorly cooked broccoli is absolutely terrible compared to raw broccoli or well-cooked broccoli

Hungarian paprika is very spicy, it's different from other bell peppers

I know a lot of people who overcook their meat because they’re so scared of getting sick from it being underdone.

Eating steak well done should be a felony.

Agreed. People who carbonize their steak make me irrationally mad

Its the simple act of revenge against the parent. Few will fault the child, especially an autistic one. What they WILL do is shame the hell out of the parent for intentionally triggering said meltdown or even bringing the kid in the first place.

i didnt know paprika came from bell peppers

>Its the simple act of revenge against the parent.
So maybe the mom wanted that special kind of attention where if something went wrong and they got bitched at by someone they'd have a reason to argue and act the victim. Like what most moms do at some point.

mate i dont know what to tell you but your radar is way off.

Nah, I can see where he’s coming from. Slut shaming is usually more of a religious thing. And it’s not like there aren’t religious people who also huff coke or let their kids get raped.

>Slut shaming is usually more of a religious thing.
Not necessarily. I mean look at /r9k/ they strike me as the kind that would slut shame their kids for kissing someone and a lot of them aren't religious.

>/r9k/ helped shape my worldview
Yikes.

But.. Bell peppers are nice on pizza..

I was a very picky kid so I was not a fan of most vegetables. Probably made worse by some like cabbage, broccoli and brusselsprouts really smelling bad when boiled, which sets some preconceptions.

I remember eating spinach so I could be like popeye

Attached: 2F896F01-3928-4FAD-9B3C-90AC01EDBE2F.jpg (640x800, 156K)

This is hilarious because I had a chance meeting with a guy who just got out of prison yesterday at Burger King.

I hated it as a kid and I still fucking hate it
I can't get how Popeye eats that shit 24/7, 365 wtf

>That feeling when you know he could take on Thanos and overwhelm him even better than Carol, Thor or anyone else

>recording people eating to shame them online
why

I miss /cock/

>Boomer parents have no idea how to cook

But will never, ever admit it. Boomers refuse to believe that they ever do anything less than perfectly. Three words you'll never hear a boomer say: "I fucked up."

Because shitty parents just want their kids to shut up and do what they're told.

My mother used to steam vegetables and liquefy them into a soup. It was the best

>She made you, she can do whatever she wants to you!

Lol no, children aren't property. If you think you can do whatever you want to a kid just because you're their parent, you should be sterilized.

The funny thing is that when parents who think like this get old, their kids usually dump them in a bad nursing home, where THEY become the ones being made to eat crappy food. Karma's a bitch, isn't it?

>Karma's a bitch, isn't it?
you're still a kid

You can't treat your kids like shit and expect them to just forget it when you're too old to take care of yourself. If you want your kids to give a shit about your well-being, you have to give a shit about theirs. Otherwise they'll kick you to the curb and leave you to rot in a geriatric Gitmo, and it'll be your own damn fault.

It's a brassica, they've got constituents that a kid's body can't deal with. Same as coffee and alcohol. Hell even tomatos (nightshade fruit) and low-cooked potatoes have this effect. Children need sugar and milk.

No. In fact, most other countries have different picky eater cliches. I remember watching this video talking about how the Japanese version of Inside Out used bell peppers instead of broccoli during the infant Riley scene where her parents are feeding her vegetables that she doesn't want to eat. Looked into it further, and Pixar actually changed that scene several times for different countries and regions.

It's a literal meme.