Sci-Fi DC Comics

Can anybody recommend some Sci-Fi DC Comics?

I'm looking for stuff among the lines of Marvel's Rocket Raccoon and Starbrand, as well as:

Watchmen
Enemy Ace
The New Frontier
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

Attached: Swamp_Thing_Vol_2_62.jpg (400x608, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/cosmiccomics
mediafire.com/cosmicdc
mediafire.com/cosmicmarvel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anybody?

...How is Swamp Thing Sci-Fi? What does Green Arrow have to do with Sci-Fi as well?

Legion of Super-Heroes
Johns Green Lantern
Any silver age Superman family comic

I fail to see how Green Lantern is sci fi. There are aliens and they go to space. Is that all it takes? Is DBZ sci fi? Because Johns GL has a lot more in common with DBZ than it does with Starship Troopers. It’s a bunch of super heroic guys , who try really hard, and shoot magic lasers at the bag guys who are also trying hard and shooting magic lasers back. Only the locales are “sci fi”. Everything else is magic and trying hard

L.E.G.I.O.N
Adam Strange
Superman: Exile
Tales of the Gren Lantern Corps (specifically the stories written by Moore)
Green Lantern: The New Corps

A lot of that shit isn't sci-fi, dude.

I was gonna say that I wanted stories SIMILAR to how Green Arrow, Enemy Ace, Watchmen, and the New Frontier were written but Yea Forums banned my IP before I could say anything.

I mean OP didn't specify how hard he wants to go.
If he's looking for hard sci-fi the answer is "there's literally nothing."

Remender writes a lot of sci-fi
>Black Science
>Low
>Tokyo Ghost

You've got Descender and the upcoming Ascender from Lemire. The Seeds, which is ongoing. Idk, comics doesn't seems to have a lot of "proper" sci fi. A lot of it is just steampunk(esque). Always felt like novels and film did sci-fi a lot better.

*cyberpunk

Not steampunk. lol.

Also, Swamp Thing showed up in Apokolips, hence the image being issue #62.

>If he's looking for hard sci-fi the answer is "there's literally nothing."
This. You actually have to be very smart to right proper sci fi. Asimov was a professor of biochemistry, for example.

The kinds of minds that are drawn to comics (stuck with comics) are sadly not as bright as the ones that aren't.

>The kinds of minds that are drawn to comics are sadly not as bright as the ones that aren't.

Ouch. But I can understand. But so far, my favorites from the Big 2 are:

Punisher (anything)
Ghost Rider (anything)
Nick Fury (anything
Star Brand+Rocket Raccoon
Moon Knight
Swamp Thing+Dr. Fate+The Demon+John Constantine
Enemy Ace+Weird War Tales+Sgt. Rock
The New Frontier
Watchmen
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

I'm not a huge fan of superheroes, but how do I cut down on that?

I mean, it's not like comics are my only interest. I do like reading up on books, like Martin Heidegger's Being & Time, Mikhail Bulghakov's Master and Margarita, Goethe's Faust, and Max Stirner's The Ego and his own. But I also respect the Big 3 of Sci-Fi nonetheless.

It wouldn't kill anyone to try a little bit of each medium, now would it.

I'm not saying there aren't bright minds in comics. Moore and Ellis for example are very smart, and Ellis could write great sci fi if he wanted to. But as a whole, it's an industry full of people who aren't good enough for anything else.

>I'm not a huge fan of superheroes, but how do I cut down on that?
I mean, all the comics you've listed as favorites are superhero comics. Why would you want to cut down?

>I mean, all the comics you've listed as favorites are superhero comics. Why would you want to cut down?

Well, first off, I said my favorites "from the BIG 2 (aka DC and Marvel)"

Second, yes, some of these entries have superheroes, but they're not as exactly super as Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man and with the exception of Moon Knight, Etrigan and Dr. Fate, none of them wear capes. With the New Frontier and Watchmen being more team-based, except for the former I enjoy it because of its usage of silver age heroes like King Faraday and Adam Strange, again, neither of whom wear capes.

I mean, if people talk down a lot about superheroes, then maybe I should consider cutting down on some of them or those that are unnecessary.

Third, these aren't my most favorite comics of all time. I still enjoy Hellboy, Star Wars, and the like, and even some bande desinee and manga like Chninkel and Hokuto No Ken.

>I mean, if people talk down a lot about superheroes, then maybe I should consider cutting down on some of them or those that are unnecessary.
This is a silly attitude. You like what you like, and to hell what anyone has to say about it.

Before I recommend any comics, have you read all the 'classics'? I'm having trouble determining how "new" you are to comics, which makes recommendations difficult.

Define "all the classics"

Off the top of my head

Yea Forumsco/re
>Contract with God
>Maus
>Persepolis
>Blankets
>Jimmy Corrigan
>Asterios Polyp
>Love and Rockets
>American Splendor
>Cerebus
>etc

Yea Forumsre
>Watchmen
>Dark Knight Returns
>Batman Year One
>Killing Joke
>Alan Moore's Superman stories
>All Star Superman
>New Frontier
>Kingdom Come
>Claremont's Uncanny X-Men
>Simonson's Thor
>Miller's Daredevil
>Marvels
>etc

That kind of stuff

Alan Moore's Official Guide to the Classics: American Splendor, Cerebus the Aardvark, Herbie Popnecker and Love & Rockets. If you don't read those then a British wizard will think that you're a fucking lameass casual.

In any case, here are some scifi comics that I recommend:
Aldebaran
The Ballad of Halo Jones
Hawkworld (both the miniseries and the ongoing)
The Incal and The Metabarons
L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S. (both the nineties R.E.B.E.L.S. and the modern run)
Moonshadow
The Omega Men (the eighties series, I never got into the modern one)
Prophet (the 2012 relaunch)
Twilight (nineties miniseries)
Valerian & Laureline
The World of Edena
Zot!

And here are some places to download scifi comics:
mediafire.com/cosmiccomics
mediafire.com/cosmicdc
mediafire.com/cosmicmarvel

Attached: 1460342617396.jpg (1200x8888, 3.02M)

Oh and of course Sandman. Don’t know how I forgot Sandman . I mean I left a lot out but Sandman is a bad one to leave out

Hawkworld is exactly what you're looking for.

Yeah Hawkworld is fantastic. The ongoing by Ostrander is good too, but that mini series by Tim Truman is 10/10, as good as any of the other DC classics of the mid-late 80s. This is the only time Hawkman was ever a truly compelling character to me. The Egyption reincarnation/Indiana Jones thing isn't terrible, but it's not as good as the Hawk-Blade Runner.

My brain's gonna rot from this overexposure and explanation so I'll be brief.

Cerebus=Maus=Palestine>American Splendor>Everything Else

Watchmen>New Frontier>Dark Knight Returns>Year One>Kingdom Come>Everything Else

Moonshadow>Sandman>Metabarons>Valerian and Laureline>Omega Men=Hawkworld>Everything Else

huh? So you've read all of that stuff? Guess you don't need much help then

Believe me, a lot of stuff just doesn't cut it for me. I've moved beyond good and evil as Nelson said quoting Nietzsche in front of Superman.

You have to realize that a lot of what you find in graphic novels is no far from aberrant as what you find in bathrooms and bad motels.

Moonshadow is top tier stuff. Epic illustrated knows how to make the cut. Sandman I'm a bit biased towards, but to each his own.