Why did SATam/Archie kept on pushing Their OC villain wizard at the expense of Eggman?

Why did SATam/Archie kept on pushing Their OC villain wizard at the expense of Eggman?

It almost seemed like they preferred him over Game Villains

Attached: tumblr_p76l24JJm81x0dt7zo1_1280.jpg (1280x954, 273K)

Penders certainly did, he hated Eggman.
Imagine how many more times Eggman would have died if Penders was kept on.

Because they sometimes wanted to use a villain other than Eggman (a wizard in particular seems to be a contrast to Robotnik's technology) but back in the day, there weren't any non-Eggman villains.
Also this, though in all likelyhood, Penders would've just tried to keep him dead (and if Eggman were to die again, it would certainly be by Knuckles' hand).

It seemed like if it wasn't for SEGA, Penders would have killed off both Eggman and Sonic and made the entire comic about Sally Saving that Skunk guy from Naugus's influence or something

If it weren't for SEGA then Sally would been the first to die, Penders straight up killed her before he was forced to retcon it

Attached: 1535001963745.png (737x838, 1.09M)

He definitely would have killed off Eggman. Sonic, I'm less sure about.
>made the entire comic about Sally Saving that Skunk guy from Naugus's influence or something
No, Ken would have just made it about Knuckles the Echidna, our lord and saviour. In fact, that's partially why he's "making" the Lara-Su Chronicles.
Don't tell me you don't know the Knuckles rabbit hole user.

Attached: PENDERS.jpg (658x1024, 327K)

The Knuckles Pender autism was hilarious to read at hindsight

The Skunk Pender autism is flat out unreadable, literally even the sight of him make me skip an issue

Variety. It's nice to have different kinds O stories once in a while.

Also, you do know that Wendy Witchcart is from the games, yeah? Fucking casual.

I really like the idea of a villain that even Robotnik is afraid of

Because you need multiple sources of conflict if your narrative isn't allowed to progress, you don't have full control over the first antagonist, and you want to run indefinitely.

Problem was that Naugus was never used well. Even some of StC's minor antagonists were utilized better.

The Egg Bosses were a great idea that will never be used again

Attached: Egg bosses.jpg (600x910, 143K)

I hate that we will never see them again. They were a fantastic way to have different antagonists, while keeping Eggman both relevant and menacing. Don't want to use Eggman yet again and risk him becoming boring? Throw some of his high ranking minions at our heroes.

>tfw no more Thunderbolt
Dammit.

SatAM used him all of once and was set to feature him as the villain of one season because the showrunners somehow thought they'd be going forever. He didn't show up in the comics until over four years in, and as one writer's response to a different writer temporarily benching Robotnik. That same writer spent a year hyping Robotnik's return and never really touched Naugus again. He didn't show up again aside from a filler story and editorially mandated resurgence half a decade later during the comic's attempt to reset the status quo. The new writer then benched him for years, tried to make him the antagonist of a story arc, and then used him like twice in the reboot.

The guy had less of a push than characters like Snively, Mammoth Mogul and Dimitri, what are you even talking about OP?

Penders never even wrote Naugus. There was an inventory story that mistakenly credited him, but that's it.

People sure like to talk about this stuff without knowing jack about it.

>Naugus
>White knuckles
>The Egg bosses
>Eggman himself

Archie was always good at making entertaining villains. Pic related. At no point did I feel like "man I wish Eggman was doing this instead of Scourge".

Attached: Number08.jpg (400x398, 75K)

The execution both pre and post reboot was terrible. It's an attempt to bring variety while also not making Eggman feel lesser than outside villains, but there were already barely any non-Eggman villains and most of their screen time was spent setting ideas up rather than actually using them for creative stories. Most of the grandmasters either only got a cameo or a single story, and the ones outside of that were pretty much all cruddy, half baked characters anyway (like Razorklaw). The Egg Bosses somehow had a lot of screen time while doing little of anything. The idea of making them regional officers instead of agents who are dispatched for tasks massively limits storytelling by forcing them to remain in a specific locale and basically ensuring they would neither conquer that area or lose it entirely, keeping them in a perpetual status quo. It also ties the writer's hands, forcing them to keep checking back in on those locations/characters instead of having individual stories dictate locale.

Having like twelve or so Eggman cronies sounds great on paper, but what we ended up with was a bunch of underdeveloped characters who limit narrative freedom and are intrinsically bound to status quo unless given obscene amounts of page time to set up any change, as seen with Clove.

Clove didn't get much screentime. Did you read the comic?

Attached: 9a5.png (3688x3116, 2.04M)

She got more focus than any other Egg Boss, down to having an entire backup story to introduce her and Cassia.

See? You didn't read shit. Kukku got two whole arcs, Storm was fucking everywhere in the pre-reboot iron dominion saga and Thunderbolt successfully trapped and defeated Sonic.

What the fuck did Clove get? Like 2 issues where she didn't do anything noteworthy.

Kukku has SEGA-canon status going for him.

I don't know about other writers, but Ian Flynn liked the idea of Naugus being Eggman's rival. A magical villain to contrast a technological villain.

>Talk about the reboot and how the *Egg Bosses* did barely anything with their spotlight immediately after talking about how the pre-reboot grandmasters were handled.
>BUT THE ONES THAT GOT CARRIED OVER HAD MORE STUFF BEFORE THE REBOOT CHECKMATE AETHEISTS.
You're a moron.

She got a whole backup story, a three parter and the shared role in the Egg Boss SU arc. The others got bupkiss in comparison, especially since their stories focused far less on them. It somehow took four whole stories to establish the very basics of her conflict because of the way Egg Bosses were handled.

That was the point. The information to screen time ratio was extremely poor for the whole group. The comic's pacing was abysmal for a number of reasons, but the way Egg Bosses were executed didn't help.

On one hand they had like 30 issues.
On the other hand they had like 700 pages.
Back on the first hand it was an episodic kid's book.
Back to the other hand, with Universe it was basically as long as Bone.
But on the first hand again, they were used to having more time before the reboot.
But back on the other hand once more, Ian was writing Sonic for a decade and managed like 15 good stories total.

I think Archie Sonic might be worse than so remembered.

Because spending time away from Eggman helps makes the time we do special.

In a similar fashion its like how we got to see just how effective Eggman was against the rest of the world when he chased after Snively

Wasn’t this drawn by Chris Alan?

Has Ian said that he can’t use them anymore?

Yeah.

Man vector looks really happy for knuckles

Attached: 1554465979923.jpg (101x107, 4K)

Im more worried about the swan that looks like he/she's about to bust out her stand.

Sonic doesn’t fit in his style at all. Shame I love his TMNT art.

Things could always be worse. Much, much worse.

Attached: cursed.png (485x237, 237K)

>The others got bupkiss in comparison

See? You didn't read shit. Kukku got two whole arcs, Storm was fucking everywhere in the pre-reboot iron dominion saga and Thunderbolt successfully trapped and defeated Sonic.

What the fuck did Clove get? Like 2 issues where she didn't do anything noteworthy.

Please address literally any of this the next time.

>mighty's arm

wtf

Attached: buschemi minion.png (526x355, 258K)

>Don't tell me you don't know the Knuckles rabbit hole user.
Not the same user but I know that he made a lot of echidna characters and Knucles was a green god at one point. How deep did it go? I’m actually really curious about this.