After being exposed to a buttload of anime and comics alike with ridiculously overpowered dudes blowing up planets and...

After being exposed to a buttload of anime and comics alike with ridiculously overpowered dudes blowing up planets and such, I've been looking for some more comparatively down to earth heroes, who may have powers, or don't, as long as they get into believable, or at least pseudo-explainable scenarios.
I've been reading Daredevil, The Spirit, Judge Dredd, Punisher, KK Ms. Marvel, and Batman.
Can any of you guys give me some recommendations concerning more down-to-earth super heroes?
I want to be able to at least somewhat Identify with the characters.

Attached: ea0d848428ea3ee582786c2c1563bc69.jpg (1057x1600, 431K)

You may want to consider Ennis' Punisher Max. He really doesn't give a fuck.

Luke Cage is a down-to-Earth hero. Start from the beginning when he had bling.
And if you can find English translations of it, Dylan Dog. He's a private (nightmare) investigator and not a super hero. However, he does venture into surreal horror, supernatural horror, and regular horror we all experience. It's all black and white like 99% of Italian comics, but they always have good artists on hand.

Attached: fullsizerender.jpg (1663x2236, 966K)

I've read every single issue of Punisher MAX, but thanks anyway. I idolize Barracuda.

Thanks for the tips man. That Dylan Dog guy sounds kind of like John Sinclair. He's a German pulp detective who also uncovers supernatural stuff. Kind of like John Constantine but with Vampire hookers and cannibal gnomes.

>Vampire hookers and cannibal gnomes.
Not too far off from what Dylan experiences on a monthly basis. I'll have to see if I can find John Sinclair stuff online in English. Otherwise, it's time to brush up on der Deutche... Language. I suck at Deutsch.

They also have some funny books on tape for the John Sinclair stuff.
If you get your German up, you'll love those.
The narrator really doesn't give a shit about being serious, and gives all the mythical beasts really funny voices.
I will never forget that one story where he inhaled a helium balloon or something and screamed "YOU BEEN FUCKIN IN MY WOODS HUH?",in German, into the mike.
I remember laughing my ass off at that back when I was 13, listening to it with a guy.

Thanks for the recs, Deutsches user.

Perhaps Green Arrow may interest you

Attached: 91S8aUSEoUL.jpg (1638x2560, 794K)

Rucka's Punisher run.

This, specifically Mike Grell's run. Also John Sable

Not superhero but you know it's gotta be here
Hitman by Garth Ennis

Attached: RCO025 (4).jpg (962x1498, 510K)

Thanks dude.
Btw, what's the run where Green Arrow's sidekick gets addicted to crack?
I'll give it a go.

Punisher was rock solid from the late 80s through the early 90s (with the occasional dud story here or there). Don't listen to anyone who says "only Ennis could write the character". Baron (especially early on) and Dixon in particular at their best are every bit as great as Ennis. A couple years ago someone storytimed (almost) every pre-Ennis Punisher comic. You should be able to find them in the archives easy.

Is that fucking thanos

Hitman is arguably the overall best comic ever made. The character writing is rivaled by NOTHING else in American comics.

OP, absolutely read Mike Grell's Green Arrow. I normally can't stand the character, but Grell just wrote him perfectly. There's over 80 issues. It was a long run. Great stuff.

Any and every issue of Daredevil that was WRITTEN (and NOT just drawn) by Frank Miller. For my money, THE pinnacle of superhero comics. And the best parts of it might even be the best comics ever published period.

What Batman have you read? I'd recommend these in particular:

The Dark Knight Returns
Batman Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Batman: Black & White
Gothic (by Grant Morrison)
The Killing Joke
Batman Adventures (volume 1)
Mad Love (related to the above series)
Batman & Robin Adventures (sequel series to Batman Adventures)

Grant Morrison's Animal Man is an extremely fantastical comic, but with a "regular guy" protagonist. Would highly recommend it.

>Btw, what's the run where Green Arrow's sidekick gets addicted to crack?

That was actually in Green Lantern, when it was by O'Neil and Adams.

*Green Lantern/Green Arrow

Violence is fun

Oh, dang.
Wait, now I remember, wasn't Arsenal (i think thats his name) doing drugs at one point?

I've heard some cool stuff about pre-max Punisher, like the polar bear punching scene. What's that run?

I literally finished Miller's Daredevil yesterday. I loved Reborn or whatever it was called.

Batman-wise I've read
The Killing Joke
Year Zero
Year One
The Alien crossover
The Ultimate Evil
Death in the Family
Court of Owls
White Night

I've heard a little about Animal Man.
Was that the guy they rewrote to be dark and ominous like Miracleman?

>Wait, now I remember, wasn't Arsenal (i think thats his name) doing drugs at one point?

Yeah, that was him. Back when he was Speedy.

AH!
So I wasn't mistaken.
Phew.

regular Punisher is more fun than MAX

Attached: 3243633-031.jpg (845x1280, 196K)

Sandman Mystery Theatre.

Italian here.
Some Dylan Dog stories like the Anna Never one you posted are some of the best ones.
>It's all black and white like 99% of Italian comics
?

Requiem for a Monster, Ghost Hotel and Mirror of the Soul are my personal favourites.
All Italian comics I've read had black and white interiors, with colours being an exception to a rule.

Mr A

Hell yeah! I normally hate propaganda masquerading as stories, but Mr. A doesn't pretend. It's up front about Ditko using it to put out his philosophical views.

Attached: 1493237054369.jpg (455x457, 119K)

Oh, i thought you meant about quality/characters.
Yeah, its kinda the norm.

Dylan Dog, at least, doesn't have strictly black and white morality. Monsters can be good or evil, and the same applies to humans. The older Bonelli comics like Zagor or Commander Mark tend to have black and white morality, but they're still good because they're old school pulp heroes.
The lack of colour and newsprint paper are a good decision. It allows for 96 pages per issue for the equivalent of $4. I wish American comics had that system for floppies, but glossy paper and colours for trades.