What went wrong with western animation?

What went wrong with western animation?

Attached: 2CEDEC56-0F38-42CA-B446-CB36FF8F9451.jpg (2010x1688, 347K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ANB1TBs6RRA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Seth McFarlane.

The thought that animation is only for kids.

>Another weeb cherry picking thread
Meanwhile you can’t name a single anime film that can match western animation output. The closest you get is Akira but that isn’t even close to the greats

Attached: 3492619.jpg (1600x900, 70K)

The constant striving for cost-cutting and churning product out at speed for greater profits. That's what killed traditional animation and brought about the age of Flash and CGI.

What was the last decent japanese animated movie?

Attached: 51bGQ4qCK4L.jpg (500x404, 53K)

>west vs east thread
Baby Edition

Attached: giphy (1).gif (480x358, 1.16M)

The large recent population of brown people coming in over the last few decades. They as a mass have low standards which turns western animation studios lazy.

this is going to make me sound like a contrarian faggot but i really don't like the term "western animation" as meaning "not anime", and i think this kind of comparisons are fucking pointless by now.
i'm not going to claim to be some expert on japanese culture but japs just seem to have made their distinct style of animation and comics a significant part of their cultural identity in a way that no other part of the world has, so it's always going to be kind of an unfair comparison between their animation and "everything else" because that entire nation takes animation more seriously and have a certain sense of pride in it that elsewhere is normally only seen in the scope of a single studio and/or during a certain period of time.
for example in the early 90s ren and stimpy brought on a brief revival in american animation of enthusiasm for the exaggerated looney tunes sort of style with an edgy twist. everyone tried to imitate it for a while and in the end it was just kind of a fad, though its sheer expressiveness and creative philosophy still had a lasting influence long after everyone stopped trying to imitate its style. then at some point big flat angular styles became popular among certain creators/studios (billy and mandy, fairly oddparents etc) because it was easy to animate, then flash animation, and so on. japanese creators, on the other hand, have mostly stuck to one general design philosophy, and even though that doesn't mean everything is automatically better, it's a much more refined approach because instead of continuously starting over with another fad, they continue to build on this structure and they're all just contributing and improving instead of trying to outdo each other and come up with the next new thing
in other words, "anime" refers to specific a nation's cohesive creative effort with a long history while "western animation" means most everything else, and no other culture has that kind of dedication and attachment to this specific craft

Why are you even comparing these? This is a false dichotomy. Mirai was a movie that had an artistic vision behind it while Boss Baby is cheap, disposable trash. It's like comparing Transformers and Annihilation because they're technically both science fiction.

Attached: zi_annilation.jpg (700x1100, 357K)

> Mamoru Hosada
> soul
How out of touch could you possibly be?

you didn't watch Boss Baby, did you?
It had terrible marketing but it was a very nice movie.

What's that? Looks awsome.

>cherry picking thread

But that's what I like about western animation, it's not some homogenous moeblob or every frame a screenshot bullshit, every show looks almost completely different from each other

well yeah of course, they have completely varied creative visions. I don't even watch anime aside from a few very old shows, and i'm definitely not saying one is better than the other. i just don't like the term "western animation" because it frames everything as "anime vs everything else" which to me is a ridiculous way of looking at the art form

I've seen Mirai and I genuinely was not that impressed by it. I wanted to like it, but it didn't really standout to me in anyway, or seem to do much besides the norm.
That's not a shit on Eastern animation though, I've watched a lot of stuff I really liked. Mirai just wasn't one of them.

Whenever I hear anyone say western animation, they usually mean something from America. French animation for example just gets lumped into a different category

>output

Attached: de7cef068be14cc59924bc495136cf2b.png (487x454, 11K)

Fair enough, there's certainly a few regions under western animation that have more nailed down animation style/culture like Italy's fauxnime and Canada's cheap angular Flash look from Total Drama Island and shows like that, these are both usually down to budget more than anything though
Like said, French has a style too, but it's honestly more the style of "experimental" not as specific.

A grim, intense, and body horror laden science fiction movie similar in spirit and concept to Stalker and The Color Out of Space. Natalie Portman is a scientist who ventures into an otherworldly zone in rural Florida where all the life there (IE, plans and animals) have started to fuse DNA, creating alien new types of life. I won't spoil what that creature on the poster is, I'll just say there's a memorable and traumatic scene involving it.

It's on Netflix, go watch it. It tragically got ignored and made terrible profits at the box office because everyone was too busy frothing at the mouth over that terrible Ghostbusters reboot and whatever the cape movie of the moment was. The irony is that unlike the Ghostbusters rebbot, all the leads in Annihilation are female and they're all complex, depthful characters who subtly exude a lot of pathos through how they speak and act.

Attached: stalker_ver2_xlg.jpg (1075x1500, 513K)

Entitled shits who think they're experts because they watched a video where some other shit complains about mediocre SpongeBob episodes and that this justifies treating the people who make western cartoons like absolute shit.

Also anime is just as shit as western animation and has almost all of the same flaws (padding, filler, generic-looking artstyles, smear frames [which aren't even a problem at all and are in fact an integral part of the process]).

ur sister

>every show looks almost completely different from each other

Attached: 80C5A2CE-05BE-430B-BA47-47A440FE035E.jpg (750x565, 86K)

of course someone's gonna bring up that image eventually

Attached: 1548560627412.gif (423x234, 1.69M)

Motherfucker, do I have to post this in every goddamn thread?

Attached: 2010s western animation renaissance.jpg (960x2377, 1.02M)

youtube.com/watch?v=ANB1TBs6RRA
I'm hoping this is successful enough in Japan to push for more great CGI films that could potentially compete with Disney and Dreamworks and end the reign of Boss Baby Bullshit. Not even weeb, I just prefer Japanese animation but I want the west to learn from it and be better than what it currently is, while still retaining a western identity.

Attached: 1322448779494.jpg (600x942, 34K)

This. Thankfully we got Love Death & Robots now.

Honestly it's like a 7/10, every piece of marketing made it look like trash but there's an actual movie in there somewhere. Not my favorite, but the people making it were actually trying.

This. It's also really good looking

why are you using mirai instead of a good anime for this comparison?

>wanting more soulless CGI
No fucking thank you

Absence of straight white males in the industry and the forcing of liberal propaganda into everything.

Thing is, the beanmouth look is just a trend, and said trend is already on its way out. You still have plenty of shows that use their own style outside of what is popular right now (especially in adult cartoons), and the beanmouth look only really showed up proper when gravity falls started.

With anime, basically every show produced after the 80s looks like it was made by the same crew

Boss Baby isn't soulless though.

I unironically can't wait for the cure for autism

Everyone who squawked about Ghostbusters 2016 but failed to see this film deserves a beating.

>implying this isn’t adorable and comfy

Attached: 09C8058A-CDE5-47BD-AF59-2CAEAD470EAD.gif (250x171, 1.24M)

Goddamn, when that thing showed up the second time...that was creepy as fuck.
Good film.

>Love Death & Robots
More like Shit, Gay & Retarded. Amrite?

That's just plain wrong though, only someone who avoids anything but the most mainstream anime would think that. You're basically the same person as the people saying all western animation of calarts beanmouth noodle-armed stuff just because that type is prevalent

everything

It took me a while to realize it's set in the 60s but the aesthetic is very consistent. There's a nice soft retro color palette to the Earth scenes.

It does really have gays?

Western animation remains niche because west have developed live-action industry.
So instead animation West makes live-action shows and movies.

That honestly only made things worse in the long run

>Transformers
b-but the comics are good!

The idea that Japanese society as a whole embraces animation wholeheartedly is such a weeb thing. Watch some variety shows and you'll notice the only anime that adults know/reference is stuff from their childhood or huge phenomena that their own kids watch (they reference Pokemon like one would reference Minions or Frozen).

Attached: 1983_3_screenshot.png (1290x694, 760K)

Millennials happened.