Coraline

Don't mind me. I'm simply posting the only good movie Laika has ever made.

Attached: Coraline.jpg (1024x768, 52K)

But it was a terrible Tim Burton fangasm.

Kubo was good. Not great, but good.

Kubo is good too. I don't buy your shit Yea Forums. Story was fine, the tone was the biggest issue of the film, visually it was phenomenal as always.

Coraline is still the best.

fpbp

>Tim Burton fangasm.
To be fair, even Tim Burton has trouble capturing his old spark

Attached: 032719dumbo_960x540.jpg (960x540, 65K)

Coralie = Anastasia
Great movie of all time when you not buy it but accidentally see it somewhere else for free
I got my DVD and blue ray copy after see the show @my friend home on Friday movie night.

>Coraline
>Tim Burton
Shiggy fucking diggy

*blocks your path*

No, really. Boxtrolls wasn't very good and I can understand not liking ParaNorman even though most of Yea Forums loves it. But please, do explain in detail why you didn't like Kubo and the Two Strings.

derp, forgot pic

Attached: kubo and the two strings.jpg (1280x534, 99K)

>Paranorman
>bad

I feel bad because this is the only Laika movie I've ever seen in full.

I really want to watch the others, especially Kubo and Paranorman.

>derp
you need to go back

>not knowing what an homage is

I love Kubo more than Coraline

sure the writing isn't as solid but the atmosphere is god tier

homage is just a hipster word for justifying ripoffs

Derp has been used on Yea Forums for over a decade you toolbox.

So then you acknowledge that it has a style similar to Tim Burton.

what i acknowledge is disirrelevant

Literally all of their movies are “good”, “good” doesn’t mean “great”, “fantastic” or a masterpiece, it just means “more positive qualities than negative”, but nowadays people like to acts like something having any flaws at all means it’s not worth your time

Paranorman and boxtrolls were both great.

Paranorman would've been great had it not tried so hard to be inclusive in the most obnoxious way possible. I'm with you on boxtrolls though

I agree Paranorman is great (a lot of people seem to take issue with the genericness of the script though, as if it isn’t a blatant tribute to 80s family horror comedies and doesn’t have some very real emotions tucked in there), Boxtrolls is less to my taste but I definitely respect its attempt to do something quirky and British, actually haven’t seen it since I saw it in the theater in 3D while very stoned so I may have to give it another watch soon, I remember Winnie being cute

>had it not tried so hard to be inclusive in the most obnoxious way possible
You mean, as the build-up to a joke? A single line gag at the very end of the movie that doesn’t do anything to push it in your face for the vast majority of the runtime?
How is that “the most obnoxious way possible”?

>(a lot of people seem to take issue with the genericness of the script though, as if it isn’t a blatant tribute to 80s family horror comedies

for a movie with a twist as serious as the aggie one, I'd wish it was better written. I've still only seen the movie once.

Coraline multiple times.

Burton is a Edward Gorey rip off way more than Coraline is a Burton "homage"

Because a kid with an eyepatch shouldn't arouse me as much as it did

As much as I like Coraline and Boxtrolls, I think I probably prefer the books more

ESPECIALLY Boxtrolls. The book Boxtrolls takes inspiration from, "Here Be Monsters!", is just a sweet, funny book with a lot of emphasis on weird funny creatures and races contrasted with darker stuff but mostly still just wholesome absurdist stuff. The Boxtrolls movie isn't "worse", it's just... a totally different thing.

Indeed.

>boxtrolls were both great.
Not in the slightest.

Huh, I like Kubo but I'd honestly give the nod to Coraline in atmosphere any day. I don't really have an issue with the writing in Kubo

I really need to watch Boxtrolls or Parnorman. I don't know anything about them and they don't really interest me at all but I feel I should see all of Laika's output, if only because of how much I like Coraline

>Tim Burton
Are you fuckin' kidding me?!

How dare you disobey your mother!!!

Attached: 61e9b6f9889a728db14484feaf204343.jpg (1080x1332, 107K)

>fangasm
You act as if Tim Burton didn’t spend less than a week on the Nightmare Before Christmas set and Henry Selick wasn’t almost entirely responsible for its charms
Burton did some good flicks early on but he’s been a fucking hack for 25 years, even Selick’s worst work shows a highly creative ambition gone off the rails rather than submitting to studio bullshit

The chief problem with Laika is that they're always pushing some weird animation novelty over story. It's like they're more concerned with the surface than the substance.

A big part of that is that their directors are the writers, and they’re trained in animation, not screenwriting. Coraline was different because Neil Gaiman wrote it. There’s a large sect of animation that has an anti-writer bias, saying if you can’t tell your story visually with storyboards as the basis that you shouldn’t be involved in the medium, and that mentality seems to prevail at LAIKA.
I personally don’t mind it all that much as the shortcomings of the scripts rarely occur to me as I watch the marvelous animation, but one does wonder what they could do if they had a “brain trust” like Pixar whose job is to crack the story and make it effective on a structural and emotional level.

That was obviously The Corpse Bride

Bitch you ain't my mom

But I'll make you a mommy

>(a lot of people seem to take issue with the genericness of the script though, as if it isn’t a blatant tribute to 80s family horror comedies and doesn’t have some very real emotions tucked in there)

It being a tribute doesn’t excuse it being kinda mediocre. Most people can get what the film is doing, I personally just didn’t see the big deal. If your characters are mostly archetypes by choice, sometimes it doesn’t come off as charming to some people. I like Pacific Rim but I can get why the characters being archetypes in that movie can be a bit annoying, for example

For me, like most LAIKA movies it kind of hinged on a select few moments that were absolutely magical and overwhelmed me with emotion on first viewing, but on repeat watches the movie is pretty but rather thin. Won’t stop me from watching it with my kids when they’re old enough though

How is that Burton's fault? He didn't write the movie, he didn't cast the actors, he had nothing to do with story. The visuals and Danny Devito were the only good things about the movie.

As the director, unless you make it clear that studio meddling directly interfered with your work, you are kind of obligated to own up to the poor quality of your films. That being said I had zero hopes for a Dumbo remake in the first placr but Burton has been running on autopilot for a long while regardless, I respect him more as an animator and visonary who brought a unique style into the world some thirty years ago than an actual filmmaker at this point

Missing Link looks really bad. I couldn't even tell it was a Laika movie.

>As the director, unless you make it clear that studio meddling directly interfered with your work

Every live action Disney movie remake is this.

Yeah, I don't think a brain trust is ever going to happen. I have seen most of the people working at Laika. They look like stuck-up suburbanite hipsters who would probably gag if you showed them pages of scripts. They just want to keep playing around with their dolls and pretend their craft elevates them above having to put in the work to engage the audience on a deeply spiritual and human level. Decades from now not a single person will remember a Laika movie aside from Coraline, and even then the normie masses will continue attributing it to Tim Burton as a colloquial stamp for all stop motion related works, much like how people not into animation also attribute everything to Disney. It also doesn't help that their CEO is a silver spoon brat that treats his employees like fucking crap and bails on them to make some shitty live action flick.

Attached: 1470643277966.png (937x699, 518K)