What does Yea Forums think about this list?

What does Yea Forums think about this list?
goodokbad.com/top500.html

Attached: top500.jpg (519x292, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/bm03bf1ec67xi1j/Duncan the Wonder Dog (2010).cbr
geneva-street.com/duncanthewonderdog/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/48322631/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Duncan the Wonder Dog at #1? Eh, okay, sure. I mean, it's an absolutely fantastic masterwork that casually experiments and pushes the medium in ways that other comics wouldn't even dream of trying, but I assume that other comics exist which are better somehow, even if I can't name them right at this moment.

If you want to find out about it for yourself, you can illegally download it or legally read it online.

mediafire.com/file/bm03bf1ec67xi1j/Duncan the Wonder Dog (2010).cbr
geneva-street.com/duncanthewonderdog/

It's a good list in terms of diversity. You can tell the guy is passionate about the medium and I got a lot of new comics to read.

Still though
>My Hero Academia is one of the few superhero stories I can genuinely just straight-up enjoy without cynicism. It feels like a very pure form of the genre. I love how well it balances hope and hopefulness with legitimate interrogation of what it means to be a hero and how motivations either amplify or detract from one's ability to participate (though I doubt it'll ever interrogate superheroism vs a pacifist critique, which I would find SUPER interesting because I'm lame).
come on now

His manga picks are basic bitch-tier.

Pretty much this . I gave it a cursory glance, so I can't go into a lot of detail, but it seems like a pretty comprehensive list. MHA being in it is a bit weird, though. It's an enjoyable read, sure, but I wouldn't put it in a list like this, frankly.

He's not wrong. I don't like shonen at all but MHA is one of the few from that genre I genuinely enjoy and keep up with. It's not some master work, but it does what it sets out to achieve really well.

I've yet to fine a personality on the internet who has a deep knowledge and interest in both manga and western/non-manga comics. If someone's really into manga their top comics are pretty safe and well known, and vice versa. It was just interesting that someone pulling out obscure stuff for this list also included some basic shonen.

>only pick for a Tezuka related work was Pluto
It's a fine list other wise, but good lord, the lack of Buddha, Pheonix, or Astro Boy is downright criminal.

Attached: 1551367021165.jpg (263x191, 6K)

Nice to see a lot of different comics from the usual lists, but I feel there are objectively mediocre comics listed, and some of the justifications are contradictory, but whatever.
Also, alot of my favorites weren't on the list at all, some were pushed to the bottom, and a good chunk of my least favorite (though not shit) comics made the top 100. Overall, I really like the variety of this list and I found some comics to check out.
Not entirely. There are some good picks on the list. But there is too much Urasawa and Asano, and I don't think I saw Asano's best work (Nijigahara Holograph) on there.
Buddha was there.

>There are some good picks on the list
>too many manga with movie adaptations
>no Nekojiru or other gekiga
He doesn't know shit about manga.

Thanks dude

It's a good list, but a bit safe/sterile. You can tell the author prefers a certain style of illustration that influences his choices.

I'd question his decision to purposefully avoid western superhero comics. Simonson's Thor and Starman are really the only true long-running western serials mentioned.

He can only list the works that he's read, and he hasn't read everything.

I'm a Cerebus fanatic, but I'm not going to throw a fit just because he hasn't read Cerebus. Everybody reads something different, and nobody is ignorant just because they haven't read the same things that you've read. Get over it.

>Buddha was there.
I didn't even notice that there were multiple parts, my bad.

Look again, you missed out on Ultimate Spider-Man.

he mentions it in his description for Ultimate Spider-Man, he thinks most superheroes are content factories rather than characters

Superman For All Seasons is in there as well.

Yawn

>The Ultimates
What the fuck, why?

I ain’t reading all that. Can somebody post the barebones list?

Because he enjoyed it. What kind of a jerk makes a list of comics he likes and then doesn't include the comics which he likes?

>he hasn't read everything
Only an absolute clueless newfag wouldn't know about GARO/AX alumni
Same shit with Cerebus. You can't use the "but he hasn't read it yet" argument when 90% of his taste looks like it was lifted from internet communities.
Would you trust the taste of someone who hasn't read GARO, Cerebus, or even fucking Zap Comix? The lack of Crumb alone on his list discredits his entire work as a critic, because even a fucking entry level /shelf/fag would know how important and influential Crumb's work is.

My dude, you haven't read everything either. Get over yourself.

Pretty much everything you expect to be there is in there.

his top 10
>1 Duncan The Wonder Dog
>2 Cross Game
>3 Nausicaä Of The Valley Of Wind
>4 The Nao Of Brown
>5 Hellboy
>6 Akira
>7 Asterios Polyp
>8 Daytripper
>9 Building Stories
>10 Berlin

If you rank comics based on how important and influential they are, instead of based on how much fun you have reading them, then you're going to have a bad time.

>Ctl+F
>Beautiful darkness
>0 Results
For god's sake.

Attached: 1553815512126.jpg (366x361, 30K)

It's #131.

There is a big difference between reading everything and reading the comic canon.
If you haven't read the works that previous critics have lauded as THE greatest works in the medium, then your opinion is insignificant.
So this list is worthless? Gotcha.

No, it's a useful list. It recommends some comics that I haven't read yet, and I can gauge the trustworthiness of those recommendations based on my feelings for the comics on the list which I have read.

A list can be useful without being the ultimate authority. A reader can be well-read even if they haven't read the same things as you.

I want to kill you the myself.

Speak English.

>Because of this, despite all the ways in which Watchmen is genius, it also remains largely emotionally inert—a sort of dead thing. It's a good book, but not one that I like, not one I care to read again (four times is enough for me) while so many other books go unread. But hey, I am in the distinct minority on this and so you should probably give it a shot if you haven't already. Of course, if you read it and didn't really enjoy it, don't worry about it and don't feel you need to force yourself. I'm here to validate you.
>And while I never cheer on popular books that I hate just for the concept of earning legitimacy (though I come close for including Watchmen), there's always a bit of artificial list reorganization that is maybe even subconsciously designed to appeal to a readership.
>Books like Watchmen, Maus, and Dark Knight Returns continue to rule the roost even though more recent books like Duncan The Wonder Dog and Nao Of Brown and Building Stories are much better works.

Ultimates was great

Is Spawn, and Gen 13 on the list?

>Yotsuba on the top
I'm okay

I get that, but most of his more controversial picks gets at least some kind of explanation.

Sarah Horrocks

its fun

I mean it's amazing to even see him acknowledge Adachi, one of the greatest cartoonists to ever live who will never be properly appreciated in the west, but Cross Game is really one of his lesser later works.

What's his best work? I read half of Touch and all of Katsu!, but his stuff seems too much of the same for me to read any more.

Touch is probably my favorite, I suggest Miyuki though, it's great and is something a bit different for him, it's not about sports.

Dismissal of superhero comic books, even influential golden and silver age stuff, few kids comics, nearly complete lack of newspaper comics

He's read a lot but still has not reached enlightenment

Is Superman Annual 11 there?

Hell yeah. I love Hellboy

Ok, so can someone explain to me waht the book is, I dunno, about? Like I read it but I'm not sure I got the message of it

>My Hero Academia is one of the few superhero stories I can genuinely just straight-up enjoy without cynicism.
I cannot fathom having this opinion and quite frankly I’m impressed by it.

Not even. He has lots of good shit on there.

I feel like some sort of bitch not having read even any more than 15 of the titles he lists out of the 500. And I don't read capeshit at all either so that's not the reason for their absence.

Of the Top 20 I've only read Asterios Polyp and given that I can't remember shit about it means I didn't enjoy it enough to remember it aside from the fact the protagonist came off as smug in a sort of way, which might not even be an accurate memory. I tried to read Hellboy but when it became just a mass of unrelated storylines I just couldn't care to read much further. I've read things like Ex Machina and Scalped that I found to be incredible.

Is that Top 20 some of the most incredible buried treasures or something?

only scrolled through the first sixty or so but what a boring list
>Hellboy is one of the best book ever
fuck off

Judging by his taste in manga, since I read more of those than the western comics he named, he tends to like popular, well acclaimed titles. Nothing obscure really, or particularly subversive, but generally solid, well done stories or fun, enjoyable reads. He seems to favor lighter stuff overall, but he had a few edgier picks and the only one that really stood out to me in manga was Girls Last Tour, which I can only imagine ended up on his radar because the anime adaptation for it a while back probably boosted the manga's signal quite a bit.

He said that he only read superheroes from when he was young, so that is going to affect his decision making.

>only read Hellboy and saw the obvious as movies

Man I feel so full of fuck.

>FMA at #100
What a fucking pleb, not even counting the other fucking retarded shit like Hellboy being #5

I'll check it out.
>Is that Top 20 some of the most incredible buried treasures or something?
Not really. I've read about half of those top 20 and I wouldn't even put some of those in my top 100. But you definitely need to read more and take some suggestions that seem interesting from the whole 500 (some of my absolute favorites are scattered throughout the first 300 items).

I noticed certain names continually recurring in his manga choices, so it's likely he found stuff by looking for well known manga authors. The one weird one though was Tsutomu Nihei. Including one of his works on the list, sure, but three of them? Similarly I was surprised to see Yotsuba& in the top 20. On the list, sure, but the top 20, in a list of COMICS, not just manga? Unusual.

FMA is a great comic, what exactly is the problem with putting at at #100? I don't understand why people are getting all huffy like this list is a personal attack on them. He didn't include a single one of my favorite manga and put my favorite western comics pretty far down his list, I'm not throwing a tantrum over it.

I don't really read manga either. But I'll give some of those a look probably.

It's just for Western stuff I've revered things like Transmetropolitan and Manhattan Projects. While works I've also read that are on the list like Sandman, Prophet, Fables (which I agree with him kinda shits the bed at some point), Last Man, and Scalped the titles I've listed seem to be outliers as the other (Western) works seem at first glance to not really push the same level of wild ideas.

I've read I Kill Giants and while I thought it was nice it was hardly an exceptional sort of story. It's not like the core metaphor driving the whole plot is like a game changer. It's teen-fic very effectively utilizes illustrations to convey the story; but it still feels like teen-fic.

I still feel a bit awkward at the lack of crossover between things I've read and what he's listed. I mean I don't think I've read 500 fucking comics but I like to think I've found some exceptional works. I'm going to take a crack at that Top 20 but my assumption going into it is that I might find a lot of that 20 is not exactly in line with what I enjoy in comics. It will be nice to be proven wrong because there's the possibility of a lot of hidden gems to be found here.

I'm kinda dissapointed that there was no P Craig Russell on the list, would think Ring of the Niblungs would at least be on there.

His list is the Pitchfork of comics. It lists stuff that everyone would generally regard as influential, but nothing so obscure that its inclusion would cause others to scratch their heads.

It's basically a best of list composed of best of lists.

Nice list,but no Berserk? or he just haven't read that yet? Or is my taste shit?

Anyway what does Yea Forums think about berserk?

>doesn't put a Moore book until 200something
>says I don't even really think its that's good
lol

He probably only reads stuff that is officially released in his country, or at least for the sake of appearances pretends he does, so he wouldn't put scanlated things on there.

Attached: Capture.png (1168x750, 339K)

I exist, but I'm not a celebrity.

It's only good during the Golden Age arc, I heard it gets really problematic after that (haven't read it btw, I don't like b&w art)

>my copy of that won't be here until sometime next week
I am upset for you reminding me.

There's quite a few superhero comics in there user, and Calvin and Hobbs is really high on the list.

Considering how few of them are ongoing serials, with most of them being minis or famous for their "deconstructionist" qualities, it's a pretty poor selection in that regard.

It's not a bad list, it's just incredibly safe. There are very few controversial choices.

I don't understand how people make lists like these. How can you take comics from different genres and rank them against each other?

By thinking how many brownie points each title will give you.

Seems pretty damn subjective honestly.

>morrowind
>factorio
>nv
not bad

This ranking everything disease is largely an American thing (they think everything is like pro sports) that has spread.

Nobody thinks Aya of Yop City or LastMan are influencial, and I doubt anyone other than this particular author would place them on a top 25 list.

I'll be giving it thorough consideration.

500 thought out opinions on comics worth reading is useful in itself, regardless of how accurate it might be.

>No Nijigahara Holograph

I know there's bound to a few important omissions, but come on now.

Good list, though.

Attached: 010.png (815x1200, 421K)

I can't tell if this post is implying that FMA deserves to be higher or off the list entirely. #100 seems like a totally fine place for it to be to me.

MHA is the definition of wasted potential. The plot is completely hollow, I don't know how in a superhero setup where stories should basically write themselves, the best you can come up with is training arcs in a safe space of a sheltered school and hundreds of characters introduced to never be developed.

FFS the main character has done nothing to deserve what he has and so far had everything go his way.

>OMG he's not picking influential comics!
>OMG he's only picking influential comics!
When will influencebabbies grow up?

Influence is important when recommending individual works and noting their historical context, but it has no place in a comparison of multiple works which are ranked on subjective quality.

GARO? Zap? Never heard of them.

my biggest gripe with this list is the plebbian eurocomic taste. He basically just stuck with Kerascoet (who is great and deserves a couple spots) and then threw in Blacksad. I don't think I even saw any Moebius.

>I don't think I even saw any Moebius.
The World of Edena at 162.

Joe McCulloch/Jog Mack

>safe/sterile
top 50 has lots of sexy/violent frog comics
also
>Dorohedoro
>Here
>Habibi
>Everything We Miss
>Canopy (58 but that it's there at all surprises me)

Just going through the top100 I'm surprised how few of these I have read. Even ones I'm aware of but haven't around to, let alone never heard of.

Also noticed quite a few that would a kind of minimalist artstyle. Makes me wonder if that just show's the list maker's taste or just an emphasis on how well a story can be done without a big detail artstyle and how often artists would prefer their style over what might be more of a norm or what be more difficult to do.

It should have been called "500 comis I liked, and you should maybe read if you want"

>Megatokyo

Attached: really now.jpg (447x513, 133K)

>Hellboy's concept is ridiculous pulp nonsense: a paranormal investigator who is actually from hell! But Mignola takes that and makes it not feel like pulp but Art and Literature.
I hate this kind of thinking that being pulp is immediately a bad thing and cannot possibly be "Art and Literature"

Jog is a national treasure.

>While I have read a lot of graphic novels (I read 400+ volumes per year), I haven't even read all of the canon choices (note: there is no canon, not really). So if you read this list and are pissed off that there's no One! Hundred! Demons! or no Berserk or no Tom King Batman—just know that this is because I haven't read those books.
Is Tom King Batman really so praised that it's a cultural assumption that it belongs on the same standard as works like Berserk?
Because man what a depressing thought this is

Attached: joker_sigh.png (644x1024, 508K)

Basic bitch tier manga taste, fawning over trash like To You, My Immortal.

>purposely picks 500 mostly obscure comics and manga while largely ignoring capeshit, children's, for mature readers and Shonen
>despite those being more famous and critically regarded than his indie shit
With opening lines like "I haven't read Beserk", "Kirby is leaps more talented than Stan Lee", "I picked mangas about baseball and mountain climbing despite knowing fuck all about sports and the outdoors"etc. I seriously wanted to punch this autists face in by the 20th pick. I know it's just his opinions but holy fuck he's definitely not who'd I want on Yea Forums. I gave up when he did shit like pick 1 page art installments and webcomics as his graphic novel picks.

I seriously didn't take him seriously after I read that. The whole blog is definitely troll bait I'm sure.

He genuinely has better taste than the majority of Yea Forums. Much better.

>t. goodokbad
You both sound like fun at parties.

You should really look at your posts...

It’s more impressive because the shonen and capeshit that he does select is absolutely trash. Why include it at all?

Yikes. Please develop your own taste and appreciate works on their own merits instead of how obscure or famous they are.

Anyone who puts Daytripper their list is fine by me. But putting Ooku that high up is kinda iffy.

That's not what that statement infers. It is just saying it was a list of possible comics/manga people might suggest deserve on that list. Which is plausible some King Batman is a recent and being Batman would always be popular enough someone would praise it out there in the 7billion people.

Habibi is pretentious garbage and shouldn't be on this list.

Because the story is ultimately about talent, the virtues of hard work, and clashes of ideology made into a presentable, palatable experience for teens. Every other super hero story out there is literally "better save the world because supa powas", but MHA is about a boy who grows up wanting to be a hero but "can't" while everyone around him are literally the canonical superheroes (have powers by chance, use them how they see fit), but the boy builds at his skillsets and understanding, catches the attention of a mentor who sees passion, and gives him literally the most powerful abilities in existence. All of the conflict arises naturally out of the people with powers around him who have their own personalities by forming opinions about "the late bloomer", their ideas of what it means to have powers (replace "powers" with "talent"), and why they use their power in the first place.

Calvin & Hobbes is great but it is also basic, it's the newspaper comic everyone likes and the one you can expect to find on every list. Including C&H is not really a sign that he cares about newspaper comics or has given them a chance.

Its a pretentious "i am so intellectual" and "i am such a weeb" list.
But i think he listed comics he liked, but it shows that he tried to much to be indy comics.

Attached: image.png (700x851, 701K)

>>Every other super hero story out there is literally "better save the world because supa powas"
Stopped reading right there.

>power
>106

>Ultimate Spiderman
>115
>no watchem before powers
And in the trash it goes!

It's the typical indiefag list, honestly. Not just the names, but the actual rankings. Dorohedoro for example being so high up, that wet fart Blankets being not only on the list but so damn high or the obligatory Ware. Surprised at FMA being so low but for me personally it's till high.
It's genuinely depressing to see something as trash as Flowers of Evil above Punpun and It's a Bird. Whatever, most of the titles there are at least worth a read even if the rankings are stupid.

Fuck off. Here, let me spell out my point more clearly
>It's unfortunate that nearly all super heroes from the big 3 (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse) have powers from their immediate inception and much of their stories revolve around what it means to be a hero. There is a lot of unexplored territory for super heroes in the west who were mundane from their onset, but had nothing but the best and most righteous intentions that led them down a path of self-improvement that ultimately presented them with their powers, and the subsequent stories that can be told from the perspective of such a character.

>top comics of all time list
>the top 2 are Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns
>TDKR beats out Watchmen, with the rationale given that TDKR is a "real" superhero story which pushes it over compared to Watchmen's cynicism
every time

There's quite a few heroes without super powers. And just because a character might start with powers, doesn't mean they can't grow as a character. Spider-Man is a perfect example.

What do you see in FMA? I wouldn't put it on a list of top 500 at all.
He hates Watchmen. He added it to the list begrudgingly.

>Surprised at FMA being so low but for me personally it's till high

Surprised to see no Jojo on there desu

I say Green Lantern is a perfect example as well.

That concept doesn't exsist in the west in the same context as it would in asia. But, there are plenty of heroes who struggle to become better heroes vs training to become The strongest/Hokage/Wizard King/etc...

>Just because a character might start with powers, doesn't mean they can't grow as a character
I agree. Spider-Man doesn't really count in my argument though because he still gets his powers by chance, which is why I didn't use him as an example. Sure, he has to learn responsibility just like Deku, but MHA is different in nearly everyone in the world has a special ability except him, and he gets mentored into his ability, and the entire plot revolves around the classical idea of "where does talent end and grit begin?"

You can split hairs, sure. Say Deku got his powers by chance because All-Might noticed him, and that was a random occurrence, but he notice Deku because he was trying to save Bakugo, even though he didn't have any powers. All-Might even implies that Deku's real power is his well-developed sense of ideals that leads him down positive paths, regardless of his ability.

>there are quite a few heroes without powers
Not having powers and not having talent are analogous, but not the same thing. MHA makes the analogy anyway to great affect. Again, we can split hairs, but that's what I'm trying to communicate. Feel free to disagree.

reminds me of this

Attached: gonewiththeblastwave_expression.jpg (620x899, 158K)

JoJo doesnt really seem like the thing he'd like. He likes shonen like FMA and Death Note. JoJo might be too wild.

It's funny how far you've back pedaled from "All western superheroes are about saving the world because super powers"

>manga
>normie manga
If you put it in, at least put good ones

>A Silent Voice
>Poppy Hill

What absolute shit taste. PH's not bad, but it's the quintessential contrarian pick. And it takes a certain kind of adolescent pseudo-intellectual to choose ASV to represent themselves. I would immediately want to disengage from such a person.

How the hell have I backpedaled? I clarified my statement because it was poorly formed. My stance hasn't changed, you trog. For a moment, I thought I was having a discussion with you that seemed civil. My mistake. You're just here to get angry.

Attached: IMG_20190117_082110.jpg (1241x1212, 149K)

cringy attempts at gatekeeping like this just fall flat because you presume like Yea Forums has great taste but this board is dominated by people jerking off to shitty superhero comics and children's cartoons

Nigga he put Hellboy in his top 20, how do you get he thinks pulp is bad out that? He likes it, but knows it's not high quality art.

>You're just here to get angry
Yea Forums in a single sentence

Pulp is a bad thing. Do your research.

Because people who actually enjoy the medium have something called "taste". No, taste isn't some vague abstraction that snobs use to belittle people, it means a developed sense of aesthetics specific to your subjective experience. To put another way: he knows what he likes, and he knows how to recognize something that does what he likes well.

This list is just him ranking series that he likes. I know this board, and Yea Forums in general, is heavily populated by autists though, who don't understand that different people have different subjective experiences, and tend to take everything literally. You can relax, he's not going to mercy kill your favorite comic because it didn't make the list or whatever, this list doesn't even really matter unless you put some kind of stock in his opinion in the first place.

Got a blank template?

If we're talking about big two cuckshit, he's not wrong. They're mindless garbage that appeals to brainlets, and barely stops short of having a big arrow pointing at a character going "THIS IS THE BAD GUY. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO LIKE OR AGREE WITH THIS BAD GUY."

Ranking 500 series is actually the autistic thing to do. Making a random list of 500 comics you like or maybe even ranking a short list of 20 or 25 titles is understandable. But ranking 500 series of different genres and styles and themes and everything? Shit sound exhausting and autistic.

>I know this board, and Yea Forums in general, is heavily populated by autists though, who don't understand that different people have different subjective experiences
Not nearly as much as people like to pretend. If you're capable of any sort of objectivity, you can perfectly admit that you love something that's complete shit, or recognize when something is done really well even if you don't give a shit about the genre. The author of this list is this type of person, because he is recognizing that there are comics that were very well done, even if he doesn't personally even like them.

Sounds like a labor of love to me. Yeah, autism might be involved, but he said he reads something like 400+ volumes of comics a year. That's pretty much your entire life, so why WOULDN'T you make a list like that, if the only thing you do with your life is read comics all day every day anyway?

>comparison of multiple works which are ranked on subjective quality.
I would argue that understanding the context of a work heightens appreciation of the work. So a person's perception of quality and understanding history/influence should go hand in hand. At least enough that he can have The Spirit in his top 500, I mean let's be serious here.

manga picks are ok, western picks are spot on.

How can you lack self awareness so much?

try google, or just edit your own
pic tangentially related

Attached: lackadaisy_expressions_by_tracyjb-d37hme5.jpg (1200x4870, 1.76M)

>but he said he reads something like 400+ volumes of comics a yea
only makes things worse.

Why?

Worse in what way?
It's better than pretty much every "best [insert some shit here] comics" list that's ever been written. I try to look up "Top Sci-Fi Webcomics, and it's beyond fucking obvious that the author has never actually read a single science fiction webcomic in the lives, because they're all exactly the same shit in an ever so slightly different order, with some shit by motherfucking Aaron Diaz's unreadable dumpster fires at the top.
He explains what the comics do well, and clearly has enough experience to not only notice what a comic was trying to do, how they executed it, and be able to compare it to similar comics.

How much free time can one have? Reading a large quantity just means there's a lot of speed reading going on.

Or he just has one of those jobs where you rarely actually have to do anything, and need to kill 40 hours in a week anyway, like some sort of gate security guard or something for a facility where everyone just badges in to open the gate anyway.

Immortal Hulk would like a word.

>>all Western superheroes have powers and no character development
>>well yeah, not ALL of them have powers

Literally cuckshit.

I've been telling you people for years to stop sleeping on Duncan the Wonder Dog. Well, go on. Stop sleeping on it.

Attached: Comic Book Sampler.jpg (1946x1660, 781K)

Always a pleasure. Where's part 2?

There will never be a Part II. I dislike the idea of finished lists which are set in stone. There's always something more out there, always something over the horizon just waiting for me to find it, always one more book that I still haven't read yet.

Surprised to see Miss Don't Touch Me on this list.

Great argument.

>no PKNA in list

shame

So, you're complaining about capeshit being all about super powers, and comparing it to a show where people are useless without super powers...........

nah

>Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch Pokemon creatures
>Jack found a Pokemon creature and hid it in the red bush
>Jack went down the hill
>Jill found Jack's Pokemon creature and moved it to the blue bush
>Jack went up the hill again
>in which bush will Jack look for his Pokemon creature?
How much of Yea Forums would fail this test? How many Yea Forumsmrades have trouble understanding that they are not the center of the universe, that other people have different experiences and different reactions to those experiences?

Yeah, it's a list and it's not perfect. Nothing ever is.

The autistic response:
>Why did he read X even though I didn't read X?
>Why didn't he read Y even though I did read Y?
>He and I both read Z, but why didn't he agree with me about it?
>Into the trash it goes!

The non-autistic response:
>Oh, he made a list.
>Good for him.

It's another matter entirely whether or not the list is actually useful to (You) by making [Comic You Haven't Read] look appealing, but most of the people bitching about the list's very existence need therapy.

Attached: not the center.jpg (750x543, 78K)

It's a goddamn masterpiece.

Ranking 500 comics he likes is one thing, naming it 500 best comics of ALL TIME(with caps!) is another (though it wouldn't gather as much attention if it was the former)

Better than your cuckshit comic.

>Ranking 500 comics he likes is one thing,
But that's clearly not what he's doing, since he's completely openly admitting comics that he personally doesn't like.
Are you literally such a complete fucking brainlet that your only conception of whether something is "good" or not is your personal preference? Can you literally not tell the difference between a good figure skater and a bad one, even if you don't give a flying fuck about figure skating?
>naming it 500 best comics of ALL TIME(with caps!) is another (though it wouldn't gather as much attention if it was the former)
Because he's pretty much correct within probably a 5% standard deviation. The actual order is pretty irrelevant, which he himself stated as well.

Maybe I missed it, what does he dislike on there?

If he's older than 2 years old and, on average, reads over 400 comics a year?
I'm guessing that he's come across a ton of stinkers.
They most likely have "Marvel" or "DC" on the cover, and were written in the past 8 years.

He means in the top 500

He hates Alan Moore (From Hell, Watchmen, LXG), and hasn't read Maus and Scott Pilgrim in a long time, but they made the list.
He's about 45

>He hates Alan Moore
I think you're projecting something that just isn't there.

What the fuck is this pretentious trash? Will someone explain or at least defend this garbage?

Attached: 0083 - Look to the Cows 7.jpg (900x1165, 609K)

>From Hell alternates between being interesting and being soul-crushingly tedious—more often the latter. But (!) it remains for me Alan Moore's best and most ingenious work. I don't care for it but there's still something admirable about it as a project, and there are some chapters and pericopes that are just plain incredible. Like one told from the perspective of Gull's belly that charts his whole life story.
>despite all the ways in which Watchmen is genius, it also remains largely emotionally inert—a sort of dead thing. It's a good book, but not one that I like, not one I care to read again (four times is enough for me) while so many other books go unread. But hey, I am in the distinct minority on this and so you should probably give it a shot if you haven't already. Of course, if you read it and didn't really enjoy it, don't worry about it and don't feel you need to force yourself. I'm here to validate you.

That's not even anywhere close to hatred.

What is difficult to understand? There's possibly some deeper meaning too, but on a purely superficial level it explains the motivations behind the terrorists.

>You think it's okay for humans to torture and kill animals? I think that's absurd, and I'll demonstrate its wrongness by giving you animals torturing and killing humans.

And it comes from the mouths of unnamed characters and plastered indiscriminately over a myriad of backgrounds to show that these sentiments are not isolated to our main characters. This is a global phenomenon which has been hidden under the surface for a long time, and which is just now bubbling over.

The system is absurd. The system is self-evidently absurd. The system has ALWAYS been this absurd. What's wrong with the people who still can't see the absurdity yet?

Why? The guy has an obvious bias and would probably put every book by Kerascoet on the list if he could.

>And it comes from the mouths of unnamed characters and plastered indiscriminately over a myriad of backgrounds to show that these sentiments are not isolated to our main characters.

>you see, the shit flung on the wall embodies our universal struggle. The wall - the ego, the system - inhibits the waste the all we humans are. Or mayhaps we are the wall, and the earth, the shit?

It's just a collage, you don't have to pretend that it's pretentious 2deep4u shit. Don't sink to the level where you pretend that collaging goes over your head. You're better than that.

>You think it's okay for humans to torture and kill animals? I
Yeah because if animals could talk I'm sure they'd be smart enough for form coherent sentences.

Same, but I hope that the real problem with these lists is that even if they don't mean to, it gets to them that this list goes public and popular choices appeal to bigger amount of people.

Even if I was following BNHA way before anime was announced, even if I wouldn't put it even in my top ten, I would still sneak it in as honorable mention of sorts just cause of how popular it is now.

>it's mostly pretentious garbage
why did you post this

There's a bad history of humans using intelligence or lack thereof as the criterion for providing or withholding mercy. That has historically justified a lot of unnecessary experimentation and painful procedures done to the mentally handicapped, for example.

I honestly found 500-100 much more interesting than 100-1. You know you won't find anything particularly interesting when list opens with Fullmetal Alchemist. Not because it's bad, but because everyone already knows it's good and there is obviously something better out there.

The problem with this guy is that he left a lot of shit that is better than Fullmetal Alchemist behind it, and way behind his top picks.

Full Metal Alchemist is all the way down at 100, and there's not much better than it as far as manga goes, the only story actually worth putting above it, is it above it in this list (only at 96 because the guy who made the list is retarded).
>but because everyone already knows it's good and there is obviously something better out there.
Have you even considered that maybe everyone knows it's good, because it's that good?
There's not some hidden well spring waiting to be found, cream is lighter than sludge and it floats to the top.

Imagine this guy reading a superhero comic and getting upset because superheroes can fly in it. How dare this work of fiction be unrealistic???

Explain to me who is a better subject for experimentation than the mentally handicapped? Sure, (generally) it should be avoided but if it's going to be done (much like eating is going to be done), why would you not choose the group of people with least value to society, or the creatures least able to understand their own lives, much less mourn their loss.

Gin no Saji from Arakawa herself is better than Fullmetal Alchemist and I don't see it there. There is plenty better than it even in its own category, even you called out this guy on being retarded.

I know you are going to say that's very obviously very subjective, but I could apply the same to you right now instead of trying a rational discussion with no deflecting.

Attached: 1345.png (764x409, 78K)

Silver Spoon is fucking mundane. But that's not the point I was making, I agree, the list is as flawed as a list can be, but my contention is with the statement
>but because everyone already knows it's good and there is obviously something better out there
There's not a single reason to believe that through digging into things less people think are good you will find something better, quite literally the opposite.
Let's assume for a second that either of both of us think FMA is the greatest series we know. What possible justification is there to think, that by digging into works that very few people or at least, an incredibly significant amount less liked enough to share, support, or acknowledge, will we find something better than a series that most DID see as worth sharing and acknowledging.

How can anyone actually like this? The art and dialogue is garbage and nothing fucking happens over the course of the novel

Attached: file.png (503x774, 114K)

Huh? I don't follow, I am not saying Fullmetal Alchemist SHOULDN'T be there, I just meant that it made list a bit more predictable and then I followed that by saying that his subsequent picks were confirmation of that fear. I have no particular problems with Fullmetal Alchemist's placing, if I had to make a list it'd probably end up in my top 100 too.

>I just meant that it made list a bit more predictable
Any reasonable top () list is going to be predictable.

>it should be avoided but if it's going to be done (much like eating is going to be done)
If you can use that reasoning to reserve experimentation for human vegetables, then maybe you can use it to reserve eating for edible vegetables too. If you're not ready to make the full switch yet, then just try out Meatless Mondays for a while and expand outward from there.

I’ve never read it but I assume it just isn’t for you.

All I am asking for is not to become WatchMojo tier. Though, if I had to make a list I bet I'd sneak in at least couple of decent titles without making it a circlejerk over obscurity.

>If you can use that reasoning to reserve experimentation for human vegetables
I didn't though, human vegetables are not only in far less supply than mentally handicapped people, but they're not conscious and wouldn't give the same actual responses. But that's a different issue outside the scope of your metaphor.

>then maybe you can use it to reserve eating for edible vegetables too
Far more difficult to provide the same nutritional benefits, and meat tastes good.

>Far more difficult to provide the same nutritional benefits
Like I said, start with one day a week. Your body does not require or demand meat every single day.

>and meat tastes good.
But as a moral and ethical person, surely you can make the choice to exchange a little flavor for a reduction in the overall suffering of this world.

>the best you can come up with is training arcs
That's what I like about JoJo. The training only happens for a little bit in the first two parts then they learn how to use Stands during battles.

I read 2 complete bad jojo series and then people told me that i didn't even start with the right one fuck that bad series

You read the best part, the underpowered underdog struggling to survive with just his cunning and wits. The following parts are about overpowered """badasses""" who win by pushing the "Win Instantly" button.

Attached: 9dqus489ckp01.png (1366x768, 1.68M)

What a worthless post.

Let me tell you something neat. This is my 6 year anniversary of reading Duncan the Wonder Dog. April 2013 was when I read it for the first time, and then I crawled onto Yea Forums looking for people to discuss it with.

Here's the first thread where I had that chance:
desuarchive.org/co/thread/48322631/

RIP in peaces Internet Man.

>Personal taste is a bias
Fuck dude are you for real

Jason books are hilarious

Mr. Monster > Hellboy

He puts "I haven't read all the classics" in the disclaimer and names Berserk as one of the books he didn't read.
Post-Eclipse Berserk is just repetitive shonenshit with gore. Art's still cool but doesn't save the series from lowering quality significantly.

>Did I like comic A more than comic B? I think I did.
There is nothing difficult with ranking everything you've ever read if you have the list of it.

Hipster trash

We went to the same university. I talked to him a few times online, but we never met.

I still wonder if I ever actually ran into the dude at a LCS and just didn't know it.

Your list would 100% look worse.

What, are you a robot?

>reserve eating for edible vegetables too.
Nah senpai

Check your bookshelf. Do you have any Love & Rockets? You might be him without even realizing it.

>kyoko okazaki at basic bitch tier

I actually discovered Lastman through goodokbad lmao, actually prefer it to literally any shonen manga I've ever read, save for like, stardust crusaders

basically

>stardust crusaders
One of the worst parts.

i meant part 4 with josuke and mixed it diamond with stardust lmao

>hurrr but this one exception
Pretty sure I've seen a couple of indiefag creators gush over Helter Skelter in the last few years anyway.

See, I could understand if there was no capeshit whatsoever, but up until 300s the only cape comics on there are all Bendis shit. No Moore, no Morrison, no Gaiman, just Bendis. Yes, that Bendis. Brian Micheal Bendis. The hack. That Bendis.

>no capeshit whatsoever
Hellboy.

>stray bullets is on there
good enough for me, the rest can be mango for all i care. stray bullets is like the only comic i actually respect.

>up until 300s the only cape comics on there are all Bendis shit. No Moore, no Morrison, no Gaiman, just Bendis.
Gaiman's Sandman at 155, Moore's Watchmen at 226.

Morrison is overrated and doesn't belong on a Top 500 list. Citation: You, a Morrison fanboy, can't read. Because you can't read, you overrate Morrison.

over rated, certainly. But he has books that deserve to be on the list.

Such as, and where would you place them?

Not capeshit.

regardless of whether or not you agree with the placing of his top 500, can we just agree that the site layout looks very nice and cozy? personally, it has the nicest aesthetic of any comics blog I've ever encountered

not at all, he fucking sucks and is the least talented British invasion writer but has a million cultists because he lacks any semblance of integrity compared to his peers, but better at marketing and sucking corporate cock than they ever attempt

>hating the Villiage People fight a vampire in Egypt

It gets better when they land on Egypt, but everything before is completely forgettable.

what's the best Jojo arc before part 6 iyo

i thought only France love Taniguchi

Attached: picmonkeycollage-188.jpg (900x400, 125K)

>Cross Game
I like Touch and some of Adachi's other stuff more but Adachi's based either way.

he mentioned in the review for lastman he's averse to fighting comics in general, and that he didn't understand why his colleague liked Jojo so much

Depends. I read a lot of manga and most of my favorite stuff is things that are never going to end up on these lists because the people who make them have never heard of them or only read shit they can buy in Barnes & Noble (i.e. nothing scanlated). Not that I think my knowledge of either is particularly deep or arty but I've just fallen into liking what I like and leaving it at that.

I tend not to really go for "I'm being arty" shit anyway. I just enjoy my dumb bronze age cape comics or stuff like Bakuon Rettou and Kenrantaru Grande Scene and leave it at that.

>movie
>Koe no Katachi
It's a shitty adaptation that tries to condense 90% of a 7 volume series into two hour movie while cutting out one series long subplot, not making it to the actual ending and completely fucking over any of the characters that aren't Shouya and Shouko to a lesser extent.

Just read the goddamn manga as should almost always be the case with anything that's been adapted. Sailor Moon level of stuff that actually improves upon/betters its source material is very rare.

>haven't read it btw, I don't like b&w art
Probably b8 but come on. I love really well done black and white art and it's ability to set the mood.

Attached: x19.png (2256x1600, 1.09M)

Solanin is the only Asano work I like since it's the only one that doesn't feel pointlessly pretentious or pretentiously nihilistic.

reiraku is straight to the point about his burnout as a manga creator in an industry that only celebrates bestsellers and dissatisfaction with life in general, it's also autobiographical so no magical realism or humans represented as birds

I feel like his non-nihilistic shit is far more pointless. I found Solanin quite boring. If anything, Nijigihara Holograph was the only manga of his I found worthwhile.

>Morrison is overrated
Agreed, but none of his works making a top 500 is silly, especially considering fucking Powers by Bendis not only made it, but it's in the upper half.

Are Asano's manga good or are they a meme like that stupid one about the guy who masturbates at his school
I get wary about modern day stuff that gets a lot of praise

Name some Morrison comics and tell me where you'd place them. I'll then criticize your taste by picking comics with a worse number which I think are better than your Morrison comics.

He's really good yeah, don't let yourself fooled by idiots on Yea Forums of all places. Just try his stuff out and see for yourself, I recommend Solanin as the entry because it's shorter.

Irrelevant because the rankings are full on retarded. Alias not only made the top 100 but it's above Goodnigth Punpun, Lone Wolf and Cub, The Wrenchies, From Hell, Monster, Watchmen, Sandamn, Starman, Beautiful Darkness, Sanctuary. Powers too is above most of these. Those trashgabs shouldn't even make top 500. Craig Thompson sucks and his trash is at the very top, and Trees making the top 500(above Starman, Descender, Dream Fossil or The Marquis Of Anaon) is as funny as it is stupid.

Okay I'll give him a shot. I like good manga.

You know, when you give lists like this, you're only proving that these are the only comics off the list that you've actually read.

Don't try to pass subjective opinions off as objective truth, lest you become exactly like that which you seek to criticize.

What am I supposed to do? List off all 500 titles in a post? Retard. I just pointed out the most outrageous examples while skimming through.

First off OMK is great, fuck you.

Second I really like Solanin. There's a good message about how poisonous allowing yourself to do nothing and stay in shitty situations is because it's safe or comfortable. It's a short series and tells its story well in in only 28 chapters. I don't like Punpun though because it's straight up nihilist bullshit which isn't really my thing. I can appreciate melodrama and tragedy but I feel like it goes overboard and Punpun never really grows, he just continues to get worse and become a more and more wretched person.

Personally I'd recommend reading Melancholia by Douman Seiman. 26 chapters long and it actually just got finished a day or two ago.

>t Alan Moore

Well, we'll work our way eventually to a complete listing of every comic you and goodokbad both read, and what you thought of them. Later, not yet.

Just to start off though... what's wrong with Alias and Powers? Did you read them, and what bothered you about them?

>Douman Seiman

Attached: cupcakebliss.jpg (960x919, 187K)

Based veganon

i can't believe it took this long for Yea Forums to talk about this blog desu

>m-maybe try it once?~

How are you not able to get that the dude ranked this books on the basis of how much he liked them? He doesn't have to strive for objectivity you autistic dumbfuck, he's doing it on his blog.

Why are you so offended that people don't respect you when you fill up your list with Bendis shit, you autist. Just saying that it's a subjective list and not objective does not excuse your shit taste.