Why are telepathic heroes so much more prone to unheroic acts and flat out villainy than any other kind of hero...

Why are telepathic heroes so much more prone to unheroic acts and flat out villainy than any other kind of hero? Is it just hard to make a telepath that's interesting and also responsible with their power?

Attached: 1525346899747.png (630x272, 397K)

Also obligatory teen Jean I guess

Attached: 1533171948958.jpg (1920x2951, 978K)

Has there ever been a thread, Yea Forums or otherwise, that talked how to make a telepathic character have responsibility with their power?

No, but there was a /tg/ thread about how to kill them. Sort of.

Most can read minds or even overtake them, when you have the power to do stuff like that to others, it can corrupt

I guess when you get to see what people actually think you're more likely to end up a paranoid misanthropist.

The idea of a person being able to read your thoughts is naturally unsettling to most people and should make a telepathic hero a harder sell. That's why people hate Casual Jean; she violates the privacy of your mind and then gets mad at you about it. So it's not a far step to make that character actively unlikeable.

I think it's more no one wants to see telepaths being responsible with their power, or at least writers don't think so.

this, that's why Jean usually focuses more on telekinesis

You usually just have a second telepath around to act as a counterbalance, someone who won't be as easily controlled as other people

Plus Xavier, Emma and Rachel have routinely trained students and X-Men to be resistant to invasive telepathic attacks. They can usually fight off psychic attacks from people below Xavier tier

Who even is Xavier tier besides Emma, Cassandra and Jean? I’m not too familiar with marvel as a whole

I'm pretty sure anyone who gained telepathic powers would end up doing some shady shit if they could just poke around in anyone's mind, finding their worst fears, darkest secrets, true motives, etc but can't confront them or tell others and being able to rewire someone's brain to be completely different person with ease.

There’s Moondragon.

Attached: 669849C4-A65C-4318-850F-5FC807937A40.jpg (558x436, 107K)

Because there is fucking nothing anyone can do about them except another telepathic character. It's like a wizard roaming around among muggles, they can do literally anything without consequence.

Any power that acts with complete invisibility is scary.

Even then Xavier does some pretty bad shit and covers it up all the time.

One kid had the mutant power of killing everyone that came within 10 feet of him. Xavier had Wolverine kill him in a cave since that kid would really hurt Mutant PR and Xavier does not want bad press.

That was Ultimate universe, you mong.

And Dr Strange. People tend to forget the extent of his telepathic abilities

People that write comics these days are just awful people

Rachel, Exodus, Mister Sinister, the Shadow King

Nate Grey, Legion, Quentin Quire, the Stepford Cuckoos when they are working together, maybe Miss Sinister

Psylocke can be but she prefers being a physical fighter

The Uranian from Agents of Atlas, and a bunch of the Eternals like Sersi

Oracle from the Shi'ar, Supergiant from the Black Order

>I guess when you get to see what people actually think you're more likely to end up a paranoid misanthropist
This is the assumption that writers make about telepathy, that most people are shit. Not that being a telepath would make a person more empathic having experienced the human condition from multiple view points, no, that people are shit and a telepath would say "fuck them for being shit." It says more about the writers than it does about the power set and the implications explain a lot about why cape stories are so fucked up right now.

Because nobody trusts a person who can rummage through there minds.

>roots through people's minds with wild abandon
>gets pissy about being "violated" whenever they're on the receiving end or whenever anyone calls them out for intruding into people's minds without their knowledge or consent
Every single telepath. Without fail.

Only filthy mutie telepaths do that

Dr Strange and Moondragon do kind of show that you can train a normal human to Xavier's level.

Because the nature of their powers leans into it in so many ways.
It's a broken pervasive power in the first place, a common cliche is a hero struggling to be responsible with their powers and with telepaths it's literally as easy as an absent thought, and telepathy is a two way street in comics, they're just as prone to mind invasions and corruptions as the opposite.