Couldn't protect his smile

>couldn't protect his smile

Attached: smile.png (773x519, 702K)

Well NO ONE PROTECTED MINE!!!!

It's amazing how great he is at the "smiling while dead inside" look like he's an actor in a DC movie or something

I know he's supposed to be a villain and that this board hates quips and jokes in their capes, but is it too much to expect at least some dark humor in the goddamn Joker movie?
This looks like Oscar bait or something, which in itself it's the only hilarious thing 'cause it'll never win anything.

>get Joker gets broken story
>no Joker until 50 mins in
>moody pg-13 drama and violence
>fake deep shit

they're trying to make another agent of chaos but emotionally complex Ledger 2.0 phenomena but I don't know if it'll work with the crowd they want. Why can't we just have a well shot Joker film where he's a confident and established villain already. If it's a success, a flashback film would be interesting anyways because people will actually fucking care who he is. One of Joker's traits is that his past is otherwise left ambiguous and confusing. The only promising part is him seeming to appear on a talk show.

N

>>moody pg-13 drama and violence

It's R.

I think the trailer looks kind of cool, and if there are good reviews for this when it comes out I might watch it. I don't like capeshit movies one bit but a character study might be neat.

Attached: Abe shrug.jpg (800x600, 62K)

Guys I'm so excited for this movie. It's a comedy about depression and it has a great cast.
I'm upset that Alec Baldwin walked but I'm still really looking forward to this.

This. I want a Joker movie to be a Joker movie, not an origin story.

I'm sure there will be, we only saw two and a half minutes of the movie. There seem to be lightehearted bits in it like when he's dancing with his mom and when he's trying to cheer up that kid.

Joker's gonna do his best to protect Bruce's at least...

Seriously, what do you think the context of this shot is? Joker trying to cheer up a young Bruce Wayne after Thomas gets murdered?

Attached: what the hell are you smiling at.jpg (798x421, 25K)

I can't protect what I can't catch!

I really want this to be good, I really do. With this trailer, it could go either way. I did want to see more of an established Joker instead of mostly origin story, but if it's well-written, I'll take it. I always like the costume, it's the breath of fresh air the character needed and it works fine as an early effort on his part.

>This looks like Oscar bait or something,
Exactly how it came off to me.
Also don't like how it seems to remove ANY sense of fault or blame from the character.
We've gone from making a sympathetic villain to just depicting a victim.

No.

Joker comes across Bruce the day of the shooting, he's still in his right state of mind and little Bruce says or does something to keep him from going TOTALLY over the edge. He sees that hopeful twinkle in the kids eye and heads back home to his mother.

Then night falls, and he's watching tv and the reports come in of the Wayne's deaths. He leans forward in his chair, catches a glimpse of little Bruce and the utter emptiness in his eyes, and THAT'S what causes him to break.

Scene cuts to the holding cells at the jail, Joe Chill is sitting in his cell when laughter starts to erupt all around. A guard comes crawling by Chill's cell, face cut up to have a Glasgow Smile, before he drops dead. Then Joker walks up to the sell with a can of gasoline and a pack of matches.

Can't think of anything good after that but I'm willing to bet something along those lines happens.

finally a movie to depict the emotional struggles of being a white male

>If it's a success, a flashback film would be interesting anyways because people will actually fucking care who he is.

This is explicitly a one-shot meant to start off a series of DC films that stand alone rather than fit into the larger DCEU. The movie is supposed to be entirely self-contained and will have a defined ending; Joaquin Phoenix isn't signing up to be in the next Suicide Squad or Aquaman or anything.

Oh don't worry. People aren't going to pity him when he drowns his mother while laughing his ass off

There's like a 95% percent chance that Arthur/Joker is going to be the one who kills Bruce's parents.

Worth adding to this is that in addition to being Kevin Feige's first choice for Doctor Strange, Phoenix was actually down for it but talks fell apart because he was adamant about just doing the one movie; he wasn't interested in being in a franchise which is what Feige was obviously insistent on. Presumably he still feels the same way.

Rumours are doing the rounds that he's playing Nightmare in the sequel

I think Yea Forums has forgotten films can be self contained and tell a full story

Hollywood did first.

That doesn’t even seem remotely likely

Attached: 4E7301D7-C048-4C00-8396-4B0A7EA86CF7.jpg (617x456, 101K)

>self-contained
That's gay. It shows that DC has capitulated and admitted defeat. Why the do they still have fans if their films are no longer part of a greater universe? Fuck DC, Marvel wins again.

>company wars fucktard

You haven’t seen the movie yet:

You saw a trailer that showed almost nothing. You can't seriously act like you know how they are depicting him ALREADY. Maybe in another trailer or 2 but not right now.

Capitulating and admitting defeat is how we got Aquaman and Shazam. Those are Marvel-tier. This is the complete opposite and no one was asking for it.

This movie seems a bit strange to movie.

Its an origin story for a character, one whose defining traits is that we don't know his origin story.

It's a One-Shot. It's literally a staple of the Comics genre.

Fair point

The twist is he isn't the real Joker and dies at the end.

You say no one was asking for it but the reaction has been hugely positive

More like an elsworld's tale. Kinda like what the Killing Joke was supposed to be before it got popular and DC made it canon.

I can see that. It's a bit hacky though

What absolute cocksucker wants endless fucking sequels and crossovers.

Attached: 1462716121705.png (700x700, 153K)

And they all admit being surprised at how good it looks. Everyone has been shit talking this movie since it was announced way back when Scorsese was attached to possibly direct it. This movie came completely out of left field.

You're living in the world where that's the most successful way to market your multibillion dollar movie franchise, user.

The Marvel formula only seems to work with Marvel. No other movie studio has been able to replicate it. Not even Disney has been able to replicate it when they tried to turn Star Wars into capeshit. In all matters of sense and logic, the Marvel formula shouldn't work for cinema. The MCU is just a TV show with the same budget, but shown on a big screen. And yet brainlets still pay money to watch a movie they'll forget as soon as they walk out of the auditorium. It's a strange phenomenon.

Arthur's shown getting forcefully thrown out of an event, then is shown coveting his gun, while Thomas Wayne chastises someone on tv for being a coward who hides behind a mask, with the next shot being Arthur putting a clown mask in the trash. It's obvious that they're setting up Thomas to be the antagonist of the film, perhaps being the one that sends Arthur's mom to Arkham, leading him to have a grudge towards Thomas, causing acts of terrorism to undermine his efforts in rebuilding Gotham or some thing like that.

Iron Man was released in 2008. That was 11 years ago. They are people here who were 10 or younger whey they saw that film and are now of legal age that has never heard of a Cape film that wasn't part of an expanded universe.

>The Marvel formula only seems to work with Marvel. No other movie studio has been able to replicate it.

*laughs in gojira*

Attached: monsterisland.jpg (800x450, 99K)

>taking a photograph
>cameraman asks me to smile
>I don't
HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND

Pretty sure tokusatsu kaiju films have done that, it's just that for most people, the MCU was their first ever cinematic universe in nerd culture.
It is a phenomenon but I wouldn't call it strange.

Yeah but The Dark Knight was released around that time too, you're telling me they never saw Batman until BvS?

TDK was literally released just a couple months after Iron Man.

I'm a zoomer and I grew up watching things like Nolan's Batman, Raimi's Spider-Man, the X-Men trilogy (+early Wolverine spinoffs), Superman Returns, that awful Green Lantern movie and some misc low-budget stuff like Sky High and Zoom which they played on Disney channel and etc. Not to mention, for most of Phase 1 it wasn't even confirmed there'd be a "universe". The first Avengers was seen as a pretty big risk and some people thought it was going to flop.

A touch exaggerated don't you think?

The Marvel Formula worked for Marvel because they STARTED with self-contained films.

Iron Man was a standalone. Captain America was a standalone. Thor was a standalone. They all had segments and hints of the larger universe, obviously, and they had sequel hooks, but each movie was able to stand entirely on its own. If you JUST watched Thor, you'd be fine; it can stand on its own. It's only after they built a foundation with those movies that they started interconnecting and crossing over.

Other studios are fucking up by just trying to jump straight to "look, it's a shared universe!".

I never really cared for Marvel but saying that they stand on their own is iffy when everyone was obligated to watch film after film when it was clear that an Avenger film was on the horizon (thus starting the after-credits craze).
You would actually be lost if you didn't watch the films prior the Avengers (strictly just the films) or not understand the sequel hooks if you just jumped right in the middle.

Adding to this claiming that
>Other studios are fucking up by just trying to jump straight to "look, it's a shared universe!".
Is pretty fucking laughable as a statement because that's basically what compelled people to keep watching the MCU, it's just that they did it first for the new generation of nerds and geek culture.
Saying that Marvel did it "different" really is not the case, for both then and now.
Rather, it was more of "the most profitable".