Why did DC try to launch their cinematic universe with Green Lantern when the Flash was an objectively superior choice...

Why did DC try to launch their cinematic universe with Green Lantern when the Flash was an objectively superior choice for a movie?

Attached: The Brave and the Bold.png (876x530, 868K)

Other urls found in this thread:

superherohype.com/news/87425-david-goyer-talks-about-flash-casting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>The average movie audience has seen — well, I can’t even count the amount of superhero movies. Fantastic Four, X-Men, Superman, Spider-Man. The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too! We’re on our second Hulk movie. And Iron Man — $300 million domestic box office on a second tier superhero!

Attached: t-zack-snyder-fountainhead.jpg (1560x1067, 258K)

I think the real question is why DC tried to launch their cinematic universe with Green Lantern when Superman is the obvious choice for a starting point but frankly it's more interesting that they didn't, even if GL failed.

Originally, Ryan Reynolds had been pushing for a Flash movie, I think it defaulted into that mess

Ryan Reynolds is a TV actor that was only halfway decent as the second version of Deadpool because his face is all scarrex up under the mask. That faggot is a shit actor and the CGI costume was also a mistake. Sinestro was perfect but the script feats and pacing were all wrong.

I think they could've done it with GL if they hadn't have fucked it up horribly.

Johns GL was popular at the time.

Jets
Literally jets
A producer saw Iron Man and thought it was popular because it had fighter jets in it so he looked for a DC character related to fighter jets

The Flash does not have a very good first movie premise. Most of the good Flash stories require years of set up because Barry's shit is so awful.

Superman was unavailable due to the ongoing legal battle between Time-Warner and the Siegel & Shuster families.

>Originally, Ryan Reynolds had been pushing for a Flash movie,
Incorrect, Ryan had been pushing for the Deadpool movie he eventually got

worked for marvel with a B-tier (iron man), why not for dc

Nope, Reynolds was set to play Wally West in a Flash movie directed by David Goyer that would've come out in 2006. However, he did learn about Deadpool while filming Blade Trinity around 2003 and has been in and out of talks for the role ever since up until X-Men Origins: Wolverine in 2009.

Attached: Wally West.png (487x332, 264K)

This. DC keeps trying to start the universe with Superman or Batman but everyone has seen/knows their origin stories
If Aquaman wasn't tied to the Snyderverse and was just it's own thing, it would've been the perfect launchpad for the DCU, especially with how successful it was
Then they could've followed it up with a Wonder Woman movie, kind of like how they did with Cap or even a Superman movie, then Flash and finally Batman

Seething Wallyfag.

>>Objectively

How to tell if someone is shitposting, step 1.

Prove me wrong.

You can't.

No, he's right
Flashpoint's been pushed onto the movies for so long because it's the only memorable modern story Barry's had.
Barry is like the Lee/Kirby X-Men to Wally's Claremont. You pretty much HAVE to go with the latter in movies, which is why he takes Wally's arcs on both the tv show and in the New 52/Rebirth run.

Can't talk about the New 52/Rebirth because I tapped out after Flashpoint, but he has taken no arcs from Wally in the TV show.

He has borrowed villains and supporting casts, but always done their own, frequently vastly different interpretation of them.

This actually could've worked. Although honestly starting with Iron Man when you don't have access to Spider-Man or the X-Men was a perfectly logical thing to do.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman are DC's tentpole characters.

Out of them, Superman was unavailable due to Warner's legal battle with the Siegel/Shuster estate, and Batman was unavailable due to the ongoing Christopher Nolan film series. Wonder Woman was in development hell and would've been a female-led action movie, which were generally considered to be a bad investment, and Aquaman was a fucking joke to the average audience.

So it was down to Green Lantern or Flash, and Green Lantern was going through a popularity surge at the time, becoming DC's highest-selling character, while Flash was in a slump. Plus Flash was already in development hell and going through constant rewrites. Not to mention Green Lantern would allow them to introduce the cosmic side of the DC Universe which is not only appealing to sci-fi/space fantasy fans (in theory) but was also vastly different from anything Marvel had going on at the time.

Then there's this and unironically this . Green Lantern is a cocky, snarky hotshot with a heart of gold and a military background, a will-they-won't-they relationship with his sassy businesswoman love interest and a mentor who had a strong bond with his predecesor and betrays him out of the belief his are the only hands capable of bringing order to the world/universe, just like Iron Man. Even GL's CGI suit was a direct response to Iron Man being a groundbreaking CGI creation at the time.

Besides, Warner still planning on releasing a Flash movie in 2012 had the Green Lantern movie been successful, with Chris Pine in the lead role. GL's early cuts even had more overt references to him that were cut when it became clear to execs that the movie would land with a thud.

Attached: Barry Allen.png (1058x621, 690K)

Pine would've made for a better GL than Reynolds ever was. I'm not sure why they made that casting choice.

I'm fully expecting Captain Marvel comparisons when they eventually make GLC.

It was cowardly of them to give up on GL just because the movie didn't hit as well as they wanted. They've never been such quitters when Batman and Superman have a flop.

Because Superman and Batman have a proven track record of being profitable despite the occasional dud. GL failed in movies, animation and the merchandising push that came with those. The movie flopping literally poisoned the brand.

Jetplanes
No really

Attached: 3A817DD5-A807-4AFB-8E03-B6B7645B8904.jpg (502x360, 37K)

Attached: 1512236884597.png (878x246, 37K)

Pine was approached about playing Hal, but turned it down because he felt it was too similar to Jim Kirk from STAR TREK. Ryan Gosling, Jake Gyllenhaall, Michael Fassbender, Jared Leto and Justin Timberlake were approached to.

The choice reportedly came down to either Reynolds or Bradley Cooper, and Warner wanted Reynolds because he was more bankable at the time. Besides, Cooper wasn't taking the auditioning process seriously at all, reading his lines while doing Bale's Bat-voice and generally goofing around.

Martin Campbell, the director, really favored Cooper, though, and was pissed when Reynolds was cast, so much he bullied Reynolds a lot on set.

Attached: Hal Jordan.png (675x459, 486K)

>lights, camera, action
>lantern comes first

>Martin Campbell, the director, really favored Cooper, though, and was pissed when Reynolds was cast, so much he bullied Reynolds a lot on set.

What an asshole.

WRONG

Actually, when they worked on Blade Trinity is when Reynolds and Goyer talked about it, it's both in the commentary track (I think it's in the X-Rated version that's only on one of the released versions of the movie, with all the unrated outtakes as well) and they also talked about it during the publicity tour.

Here's a Goyer thing from December, 2004, but you can find stuff from 2003, I'm just not too fussed to waste more time on it.

superherohype.com/news/87425-david-goyer-talks-about-flash-casting

Further proof if any is needed that a "popular" for Diamond book doesn't translate into what would be popular as even an animated comic book adaptation