Dads hanging out in a bar after work

Was that even still a thing by the time the Simpsons was on TV? I don't remember that it was.

Attached: 1472262943_image.jpg (480x360, 15K)

i wish it was. i just want to hang out with some other dads in a bar.

I wish. Going home after work is depressing.

Can't speak for Burgeristan, but it was in Ireland at least. Still is to a degree, though we're far less liberal with drunk-driving these days.

I remember my dad used to bring me into the pub after collecting me from school and I'd happily down a glass bottle of coke and crisps while he guzzles a pint of Guiness or two after a long day of work

I feel like it is in smaller, probably midwestern, towns because there are like two bars so everyone you know is there.

Nah just writers jerking off to their childhood.

Concepts in the Simpsons that are outdated because the show's been on for so long?
>bar after work
>regularly bowling
>children's TV show hosted by a clown

>watching network tv

Bowling is outdated? It's still one of the most popular hanging out activities other than going to the movies where I'm from.

Those were outdated as hell in 1990.

My town LOST its bowling alley years ago as it grew and still no plans for a new one. We have to go to the next town over to bowl.

>a worker salary being able to sustain a family
>stay-home housewives as the norm
>children watching old cartoons (Itchy & Scratchy) rather than Japanese cartoons (the late 90s and the 2000s) or playing videogames instead (now)

That first point is the biggest one. That's a REALLY nice house for a safety inspector, and his wife doesn't need to work.

Those were outdated even when Simpsons was new. ESPECIALLY Krusty.

Which is why they dropped the original "Homer was Krusty all along" plot point and made Krusty a stand-in for celebrity and media jokes.

Skinner fought in the Vietnam war and should be at least 90

yeah a lot in the lower class

Those jokes stopped being funny in the 90s. The landscape changed too much for ignoring the gaps.

My dad would. Sometimes he'd leave me and my brother outside to wait for him.

isn't krusty about 60 years old or something ridiculous like that

>outdated
*laughs in Upper Midwest*

good writing

That's another thing. During the early seasons, Springfield looked like a typical white-trash little town where everybody know each other so the rumors fly quick and the local preacher has a lot of influence but at some point it became a big city with everything available, from a rich gay community to obscure clubs and trends for every taste. Nowadays the simpsons are more like hipsters following the latest trends

>>a worker salary being able to sustain a family
The Simpsons has this weird thing where the power plant jobs are highly technical jobs that require Master's Degrees (Lenny and Carls both have Masters in Nuclear Physics) but they're portrayed as schlubby blue collar jobs.

At this point Disco Stu wasn't even born until AFTER disco went out of style.

Then again, Mr. Burns is highly negligent.

You're thinking of Ned

Attached: ned wants to fuck maude like an animal.jpg (480x360, 20K)

Formerly wed

Yeah I can see it as Mr. Burns being a real cheapskate and everyone in town being in such a bubble that they don't realize the plant jobs should be paying much higher.

I just looked up how much a nuclear safety technician makes. It's a lot less than I thought (it pays an average of $67,000) but even then that's still very solidly middle class even if it's the only income.

Attached: homer is rich enough to fuck mr burns.jpg (750x1055, 126K)

springfield exists in a bubble where grandpa served in korea and ww2, homer and marge were sweethearts in the 70s and time sort of stood still ever since the early nineties somehow, and everything makes sense

then the idiots got the boomer brainworms and there's 'mapple' and 'n&ns'. garbage

>'mapple' and 'n&ns'
Man what the fuck is up with that? There's been lots of stuff that they used to use the real world name of but then they went and started using parody names. They used to say Harry Potter but now they have "Angela Button"

Same with "Cosmic Wars" and the manlet George Lucas even despite making millions of references to Star Wars

Sou Park to a tee.

Dude, that sounds beautiful.

My dad did in the 90's.
He is dead now. Partially because of his drinking problem.Maybe it's good that people drink less today.

At least South Park admitted in an episode that effectivelly the city was changing with the market in front of Kenny's house and they made other meta-episodes like officer Barbrady being fired because South Park grow so much that it has a police force now.

Well done

There were plenty of soldiers that served in both Korea and WW2

Why?

Literally just go to a bar that caters to dads. There is one near you, it won't have anyone under the age of 30 in it

>Family watching TV together
>Systems Operator job with no GUI
>Treehouse

Devil's Advocate, a small town with a nuclear plant might see considerable growth over the course of the time the show was on the air.

>monoracial parents

The Nuclear plant inuniverse has been there for around 30 years, depending on the episode.
The truth is just Springfield just shifts to whatever the plot needs, they even make a joke on a portion of the town being larger than Texas
Actually Homer is now 1/16th black.

maybe depends on your age
im 26 and never go bowling or know anyone around my age who does. we only drink and eat and talk when out pretty much
but there's a bowling alley in my city so i suppose some people must go there

I don't think that was meant to be a complaint. My Grandpa served in WWII (both theaters) and Korea.

My dad hung out in a bar...

my dad took me to bars all the time growing up but bars are kind of a relic of the past now
there are fewers traditional bars and more thematic millenial pubs for hipsters

My dad did this back when the Simpson’s was in its early seasons.

Do dads not still go to bars after work anymore? I see lots of older guys hanging out smoking outside of the nearby pub, and I assume at least some of them have kids.

>children's TV show hosted by a clown

Attached: Displeased and weathered Conan O Brien.jpg (1920x1080, 75K)

>the entire town dressing up and going to church every Sunday morning- including families that aren’t especially religious

I’ve never met anyone that goes bowling once a week like apparently Homer and his friends would. Most people I know only go bowling as a special treat at most maybe a few times in a year.

If I had the dosh I'd definitely be doing it. Depends on when the lads are available too though.

They do on and off. Sometimes they say Mulk and sometimes they say Hulk. This has been around since the early seasons

Bowling is pretty big still, a lot of teens go there for a reason

>a worker salary being able to sustain a family
Did you never notice the constand alternative income sources home has? He keeps on making new businesses and gets dat royalty money from being a world famous singer.

I liked bowling as a teen because it's a good "hangout" sport.
You can compete but the active role is only whatever percentage of your social group you are, so probably less than a quarter, and the rest of the time you're shooting the shit with your buddies and shoving bowling alley pancakes into your gob.
Pool's similar, but there was only one family pool hall in my city when I was a teen.

That’s part of my point though. Even if you have the interest, who has the money, time off from work and other commitments, and coordination of schedules with friends to go out bowling once every week anymore? My friends- the ones who don’t have family to support at least- have a hard enough time as it is forcing time off to just meet up for D&D every every other week, if nothing gets in the way, and it’s only possible because it’s an activity they can do from their own home without paying additional money.

>Systems Operator job with no GUI
Incredibly common with legacy systems. He still should have half a dozen monitors, but in all likelihood they'd be ringed around his vintage 70s console. It's more realistic than him not working alongside 2 other people at all times.

Also treehouses still get built. Their decline has more to do with increasing number of rooms per house, insurance, and overly intrusive HOAs. They've also always been far more prevalent in fiction than in real life, owing to the need for an appropriately sized and shaped tree and difficulty in building one.

Dads and single dudes just hang out at Red Robin in the bar seating area now. Usually not even having beer, just in the bar so they can sit alone.

Attached: Red Robin anons.jpg (400x300, 36K)

I think people just don't wanna make as much of an effort to socialize in person anymore because of cheap and easy video games and the internet have made time-killing.

this. make sure it has billiards in it's bars. those attract older pool

>You cannot see a movie anymore if it isn't in theaters
That one might have been outdated even when it was written because it should have had a VHS or laserdisc release and piracy scene was active at the time.

Attached: The_Itchy_and_Scratchy_Movie.png (1077x805, 1013K)

It's fun, it isn't tiring and you get to drink and eat junk food while doing it.

A large part of that social scene was that if you were able to completely ignore your family and you could reliably get off work at five you had a lot more free time.

My dad and uncle went drinking in the woods a lot in the 2000s, does that count?

>you could reliably get off work at five you had a lot more free time.
That's probably a factor too. People are working longer than they used to, and more people are part time or gig workers so they don't have a consistent schedule.

I like to go to bars after work. But ultimately more trouble than they're worth. More $$ for the same drinks
, And the drive home.

holy fuck that sounds comfy, glad you got to enjoy it user.

Attached: cozyinsocks.jpg (198x405, 49K)

Yeah it was pretty nice, I'd sometimes have a game of pool whilst old fellas watched the small CRT TV in the corner and people filled the room with smoke. I'd be returning home to homework after of course but it was a nice interlude for both of us after school/work

That was the late 90s though, wouldn't get that anymore

Attached: 1370199769609.jpg (505x550, 21K)