I'm an actual ultra fucking giga brainlet...

I'm an actual ultra fucking giga brainlet, can someone explain to me what Scott Pilgrim was actually about aside from wacky hijinks in canada and accepting that you're an asshole deep down?

Attached: scott.jpg (768x433, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ynbgpg3smik
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hipsters

That Kim pine is best girl, Lisa miller close second.

>Comicbook Kim: Unkempt beauty,gorgeous when cleaned up
>Movie Kim:Ugliest Goblina they could possibly cast

I'll never not be mad about this shit

Attached: Kim (2).png (435x1432, 115K)

Literally everyone is a homosexual to some degree

It's about being a teenager and saying "haha lol this is so relatable and funny" I mean, I don't think an adult would like this. I've read it at 17 and found it amazing, I'm almost 21 now and I think it's good at best

i dont know what "about" means but the initial gimmick, from the protagonist's perspective, is about literalizing the baggage of coming to terms with your SO's past relationships

I thought she was cute

Attached: 1553880214564.jpg (649x656, 57K)

Yeah also this, it's about love and shit

Yeah, it's just one of those things that you needed to have grown up with to better understand it. I found Scott to be charming and cool when I was 15, but when I got to be around his age I realized that being like Scott is a shit way of living. I thought that all of his friends shitting on him constantly was unjustified, but in reality, it's because nobody wants to deal with a leech. idk OP, I guess it's too late to get into it for you.

>DUDE VIDEO GAMES LMAO
That's it.

Like much of O'Malley's work, it's about emotionally stunted 20somethings fucking around doing nothing of value.

Not Scott's sister

Everyone gets hurt in a relationship

Scott Pilgrim is about the teenage boy fantasy of "What if life was like a video game and I could solve all my problems by beating people up until they explode into coins?"

Its answer is "You'd still be an asshole."

Hipster Shit
Video games
Drama Shit

Growing up
Coming of age
Relationships, especially for young adults

It's really not that difficult, brainlet.

Growing up, growing old. Read the commentary by BLOM if it's available in the books.

>can someone explain to me what Scott Pilgrim was actually about aside from the things that it was about?

Fuck you and everyone like you. She's cute and also one of the most faithful characters in the movie.

Attached: kim_pine_scott_pilgrim_3.gif (970x519, 3.92M)

Knives best girl

You spelt Kim wrong.

Wallace is honorary best girl

good choice

Imagine being this much of a faggot. Movie Kim is cute as FUCK

A safe for normies version of welcome to eltingville for normies that focused mostly on retro vidya games instead of comics.

Wallace is the openly gay character I have ever seen done right in a more comedic sense, and I'm not even sure how since I don't usually like smug characters in general. Maybe it's because he's not smug only because he's a homo like most gay characters are written, he's just smug and a homo.

is scott pilgrim a superhero story?

I mean that's kinda it. Scott was a childish asshole that didn't treat people right and didn't even remember the shitty things he was doing. When he met Ramona, she wasn't willing to put up with it while also dealing with her own BS so he started to actually grow up.

That's basically it. Kim is the best girl.

Comic is great but the sameface really kills me so I've never done a second read-through of it. I love the movie desu.

basically o’malley wanted to fuck many hot horny teenage girls but couldn’t because he’s an irredeemable shit, so he created scott pilgrim to vicariously live that fantasy

Remain mad gay boy

It's meant to relate to people who lament never getting to bang a 20-something with blue hair in a frilly skirt.
Can relate ;-;

>accepting that you're an asshole deep down
if you got you alredy understand more than 90% of the fanbase

It's a story about Scott learning to stop being a fucking asshole aka growing the fuck up and doing the right thing. The very last boss is himself his old self that was holding him back from being a not asshole.

Kim is the only character that actually looks similar in comics and movie

i saw a comic once mocking the sameface but it got deleted, does anyone have it?

When you look at yourself as some sort of video game hero or main character, someone more important than others, you end up ignoring a lot of the shit you do instead of owning up to it, and that stops you from growing

Scott was supposed to be cute not awkward and weird

Scott and Ramona are both respectively horrible, self and environment - destructive people who are perfect for each other in their flaws, and the end is about muh escapism

It's about how "bad people" is a rare thing and most people we see as bad is due to misuntertandings.

Scott misunderstands everything, he probably just found most of Ramona's boyfriends at random places by chance or something like that, and he becomes paranoic and picks fights with them.

Imagining the conflict as a video-game bossfight is a metaphor for how misunderstandings lead us to see other people as worse than they actually are.

The only real villain in the comics is probably Gideon, but even that may be wrong.

The hint about how insane Scott's imagination can be comes when he discusses dating Kim in the past. He says some bad guy was interfering with their relationship while Kim implies that Scott was actually the one that made her broke up with the guy, who was actually just a shy kid she met before Scott. Like with Ramonas' exes, Scott imagines the comflict in ridiculous fashion, with the "bad guy" even going as far as kidnapping Kim.

Attached: scott pilgrim.jpg (1600x800, 376K)

WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB AND WE ARE HERE TO WATCH SCOTT PILGRIM KICK YOUR TEETH IN!! 1234!!

Kind of pissed this line didn't make it into the movie

Attached: Snip-it_1552012675885.jpg (870x1025, 175K)

See this makes sense, but at the same time you'd think Scott would have been locked up by the end of the comic given how many people he's attacked.
So maybe what you said was the intended reality at one point, but then O'Malley just accepted arcade fights as part of the universe. I mean it would explain the frozen ex-gf's of Gideon at the end.

Canadians are hot and fuckable is the moral

I'd say Ramona is pretty reprehensible.

Her and Scott deserve each other.

>accepting that you're an asshole deep down
You already nailed it man

Attached: 543645747.gif (360x200, 848K)

Did you just not even look at Steven Stills? They honestly did a really good job of recreating the comic designs imo

I always hoped they would've cast somebody who looked like a young Tina Weymouth

Attached: tina-weymouth-mark-ivins.jpg (599x748, 91K)

Scott is an immature loser who cant come to grips with both his effect on other people or the responsibilities he has an adult, and thus causes problems for the people involved with him. The band represents his stagnation and inability to grow, and the fact that actual spoilers it breaks up and Kim moves away are more demonstrations of Scott losing things because he can't take anything seriously. Romana is also an immature loser, but in almost the exact opposite way to Scott, but I'm not going to delve into other characters because I could easily bombard this thread with an essay and nobody wants to see that. I will, however, say that in terms of boh indícidual character and her relation to Scott and the story itself, Kim Pine is objectively best girl.

Attached: 176.jpg (3600x2700, 1.83M)

Sure, if you see all details there are other absurd things that happen in the story that are not related to Scott's imagination. I'm aware of that but I still think my theory is right

I agree, Ramona is also an asshole

They're equally best, just depends on how you like em

more like a super zero story

I want to marry Kim and have Knives as our girlfriend

Wallace was a cutie.

That's pretty accurate user.

>I could easily bombard this thread with an essay and nobody wants to see that.
I do though.

Keep the thread alive until I get off work and I'll give you one

Seconding

I thought it was established that Wallace is best girl. Or at least a better person than Scott, but that's not hard to accomplish.

You know, Wallace is like the only real friend Scott has (as opposed to someone who just tolerates him). But WHY does Wallace like Scott?

He is best girl
I think it’s a combination of two things (and the others I’d still say are friends, especially Kim, but more in a tolerating sense)
1. He’s a really chill and relaxed guy and can take Scott’s shit quite well, seeing what’s wrong with him
2. Scott sexually pleases him so he likes Scott being around

Where did point 2 come from? I know they all joke about Wallace being Scott's sugar daddy

I'd always thought that Wallace was a friend of Scott's from wayback, so he's used to his shenanigans but then I remember that so was Kim and she's just a hairdop away from sucker punching him

>Scott sexually pleases him
What, he likes awkward-yet-secretly-determined if I remember comic Scott correctly dudes that he could dominate in bed or something?

It's about growing up

>I'd always thought that Wallace was a friend of Scott's from wayback
Kinda made sense - I mean, Scott's mum seems to entrusts Wallace to take care of Scott apparently (at least, from what I deduced Wallace said in a panel to him)...

You take that back you gigafaggot

Attached: b63c9d1b0fe5bd7823d1bca800f39ff0.jpg (600x900, 68K)

I’m pretty sure he said Scott was attractive (like everyone in that universe says) and they slept in the same bed due to only having one. Given Scott is left out of sharing a room when Wallace gets a new boyfriend you can put two and two together
I’m pretty sure they are long-established friends too

as you wish

Still waiting an animated series

Never gonna happen.

it's because Wallace's smugness is a lot more warranted. He's only smug or condescending when someone acts like an asshole first and was genuinely supportive of Scott, he just wasn't gonna give him an easy time

>The only real villain in the comics is probably Gideon, but even that may be wrong.
no that's right, Gideon is straight up bad
he's basically what Scott would have become if he didn't realize his mistake

It really works in a world where pretty much everyone is an asshole at one point

There is literally no other way to explain it.
It is wacky hijinks and people coming to terms and accepting that they're assholes.
Wacky shit happens, everyone hates everyone else and themselves and over the course of like 6 books people slowly come to terms with that fact and learn to deal with other people being assholes and their own asshole-y-ness. That is all there is.

It was revealed in Vol. 6 that Gideon spiced up some of Scott's old high school memories, which explains why Simon Lee looked like Gideon in his dream, and why the final confrontation between Scott and Simon took elements from a Lucas Lee film that Scott and Ramona watch in Vol. 2. Scott did however block out the fact that he beat the shit out of poor Simon for no reason since he doesn't want to admit that he's a shit person, hence the creation of Nega Scott.

is it wallace wells or wallace weldon

MAKE UP YOUR MIND O'MALLEY

Just started right now reading it thanks to you. Gonna binge it all.

>potatoe shaped head
>inbred face

yikes

I could see Netflix doing it.

Any new news of Worst World?

Attached: Worst World.jpg (1280x1599, 473K)

like life itself
but fun

Americans are too sexy for Canadian: the comics.

Bumping for justice
(and Kim)

Attached: Kim.png (666x878, 732K)

The saying ain't 'murica, fuck yeah for nothin'

It's a soap opera in comic style

I await your dissertation user

Attached: Kim2.jpg (500x478, 53K)

Okay I'm finished work, gimme a bit and ill post

stop masturbating and post already

Reading the thread now im interested in what this guy has to say.

this

Preach it.

This.

Refreshingly correct opinions

Attached: your_my_nigga.png (847x768, 105K)

I want to see that. I doubt more insight and discussion on the subject matter could be a bad thing.

>All these people waiting for an essay that will never come

Attached: 1526413415462.jpg (300x345, 117K)

It's coming! It's coming, just give me a bit longer, it's taking me ages because I'm super tired and got into a very important conversation with a friend. I'm like halfway done but it's not as long as I wanted I to be

Didn't Allison Pill accidentally post a topless selfie?

>All these people waiting for an essay

Attached: 46456457.png (1111x1079, 943K)

Here goes, sorry for the wait
Scott's entire life, or at least as much as is shown in the comics, revolves around his inability to mature and take life seriously or take the high road. He means well but in the end hes a selfish kid who treats his friends like videogame characters instead of people. His relationship with Lisa is the only one he didnt irreparably damage, because he never sought anything more than their friendship even though she wanted him to. Whereas Kims only connection to Scott before he beat up her boyfriend was the band and loose friendship through that. However Scott managed to date her, he destroyed that by being closer with Lisa and then left both of them hanging, causing the leftover feelings we see in both Lisa and Kim later on. Scott's relationship with Knives was an attempt to go bring back what he had with Kim, someone equally immature and impulsive, however his inability to commit to anything(like his job, school, etc.) again killed that, and lead to an ironically perfect match with Ramona. He was able to persue a perfect relationship with Ramona continuously because it had clear goals and requirements, the evil exes. Someone who's requirements for the relationship are more complex, like Kim, is basically unnatainable to him because he just can't fucking grow up.
cont.

Attached: 218138f5-036a-47bf-a585-fe7fc9de5fd6.png (540x405, 294K)

As interesting as she is, Ramona is a very one-dimensional character in that she doesn't really do anything other than create a goal for Scott to reach, and throw in a few plot points and hiccups. Yeah she had her moments of intensity and legitimate emotional connection with Scott and Kim, but she actually has surprisingly little effect on the story once you pass the breakup with Knives. She is, however, a good example of why Scott is irredeemable and yet still loved. She can't commit to things either, and she threw away one life and was prepared to throw away another as soon as things got rocky with Scott. She was about to leave him the same way he left Knives. Basically Scott but emotional instead of dumbass. Her Jealousy when confronted with Lisa's return is also a ping of immaturity paralleled by Scott's perceptions of his relationships, particularly Envy. The one relationship that really fucked him up was one that ended in the girl pulling the scumbag move first. Scott is never portrayed as a jealous person, and he was never really jealous about envy, he was more disappointed and confused in the way she led him on, and when Ramona tried to leave she almost became exactly the same. But when Ramona was jealous of Lisa there was no real ground for it, she had already been perfectly fine with his friendship with Kim and Knives after they'd broken up, and had no problem with Wallace, so why Lisa?
cont.

Because Lisa has no bad blood with Scott. Presumably they've never had a fight, they never dated or broke up or any of that, but they were close at one point and if they were close then, why not now? She's hard to analyse due her limited appearances, but just from the night on the couch we know that she still had considerable feelings for him even after all that time, and I think deep down Ramona could tell. Lisa is also a reflection of what Ramona wants to be ( and what Kim used to be) in that she is happy and unburdened and has a strong connection to Scott, which at the time was beginning to faulter for her. The fact that she is still friends with Kim is a good demonstration that Kim isn't nearly as jealous as Romona, even though the two are similar in so many respects.
cont.

Kim Pine is quite possibly the most well-designed, intricate and important character in the story because she cares about Scott. That's it. Even through everything, even through Scott's scummyness and his mistreatment of her, and Knives, and Lisa, she still cares about him as much as she did in highschool. There are two main points where this is shown: at her place in Montreal, and the fight with the twins. Less so I'm the party, when her, Romona and Scott are drunk on the bed, but it's shown there too, but mostly using Romona as a bridge due to their fast friendship. In Montreal, when Scott tires to kiss her and The time leading up to that, she shows not romantic feelings but a legitimate want for Scott's friendship and presence; she wants the connection they had before they dated. When they first made a band, and before Scott fucked things between them. Scott is able to give that too her but he can't do it without pushing shit too far, and kissing her, and she almost falls into it because of how desperate she is for the companionship they had. She knows, however, that it's not that same companionship and is instead Scott's lack of emotional grace shining forth, represented by nega-scott. When Scott beats nega he overcomes his stupidity and part of his immaturity, and it lets him see that he's being an idiot and encourages him to find Ramona and make things work in the way they never could with Kim.
cont.

Rip Honest Ed's

but even more important is the kayanagi fight. When Kim is locked in that cage and Scott is overpowered, Kim telling Scott the fake messages is the strongest image we're given of Kim's leftover feelings. She legitimately believes what she is saying; she believes in him, and she loves him, and she knows he is trying. Even when she says the Ramona is waiting for him, she means it about herself, but deep down she knows that the only way to make it work is to make him think Ramona is saying it, not her, and that's why her eyes are hollow. She pours her heart to him without letting him know, and this is a highly transformative moment for her, a way for her to move past their past relationships and to be able to forge their real friendship rather than the hungover mess that's already there.
cont.

Finally, when Ramona and Scott get back together in the end, the sequence of them putting the past behind them and leaping into the portal is one of the best endings to a series I have ever seen. The perfect way of visually representing Scott's development as a character, finalising the fact that he isn't quite there yet, but he's finally moving towards it, he knows what he has to do and with Ramona's help he knows he can. No more video game tactics, no more treating people like objects. They are taking a leap into a commitment they might finally be ready for, and aren't going to sperg out at the slightest hurdles like they always have in the past. No more evil exes.

There, it's shittier than I wanted it to be because it's 3:23am rn but I hope it at least makes some sense

>yikes

Emotional gratification for Goslingposters such as myself

This was a good read. But also >3:23am? where are you, Europe?

based

>was one that ended in the girl pulling the scumbag move first.
My one criticism is that in the sixth volume, Envy reveals that they had a big fight and when Scott reveals that she broke his heart, Envy replied that the feeling was mutual. So it seems more that Scott rewrote what happened in his head to seem like the good guy. When he was as bad as Envy in the break up.

Attached: Gideon Graves slash.gif (316x200, 42K)

I feel that Kim deserved better than Scott but at the same time I think It would have been better for her to end up with him instead of Ramona

Worth the wait, especially the bits about Kim. She was always my favorite character for reasons I couldn't quite put into words until now. She's not just the snarky but caring cliche you see in other stories. She genuinely cares about the people around her and uses her energy when it truly counts. She's the force that grounds and keeps everyone in line. Scott tells her she's the one constant in her life and I never got that line until now. She really kept everyone together and deserves the world.

Kim's the real MVP.

Attached: when's band practice.png (1000x1335, 351K)

Could never really get into Scott Pilgrim. Whenever I see anything that has to do with it (comic, movie, game) it just screams "HIPSTER" as loud as possible.
Like, deafeningly.

Is it possible that I've just seen the wrong part of the franchise? Do I have the wrong impression?

Australia
Ty
Ah yeah I forgot about that, just another example of Scott's delusions
Same, on both accounts
She is fantastic, right?

I dont have nearly enough art of Kim, or any of the cast for that matter, someone post art

Attached: 1517605811525.jpg (500x370, 82K)

It was worth the wait. Thank you, user. Your take on the SP series is one the most solid ones I've read on this board; you pointed out some parallels between Scott and Ramona I didn't notice at first... Probably 'cause I fell into the manic pixie trap the first read through

Agreed, explanation of Kim's role was most enlightening.. And confirms that with age, you realize Kim was the best.

Attached: knivessweatyscott.jpg (629x957, 215K)

I got some for ya'

Attached: kimpine1.jpg (474x688, 57K)

All the characters are hipsters, I suppose, but none of the story is hipstery at all. Just about loser 20-somethings in a bad band fighting bad dudes

>Losers
>a group of friends in a band that like pop culture and have many romantic relationships

Like I said, I dont know much about the series but from what I do know it doesnt sound like the main characters are "losers" just "outcasts." And even then, I dont know how much liking old videogames makes you an outcast.
But that might just be me having the wrong impression. Am I wrong?

It's about taking a moment to just appreciate the people who you used to be in love with or had a connection with.

They're hipsters but there's nothing really hipstery about it. No preachy message or morals outside of the character development about society or culture or anything. If it weren't so easy to put labels on things, there wouldn't really even be a label to put on them.

youtube.com/watch?v=ynbgpg3smik

the one in the movie?

Attached: }.png (632x768, 151K)

>user posted this minutes before his model photoshoot

That Julie is always a bitch

I though Australia blocked Yea Forums

Nah pretty sure that's buut, I haven't had an issue connecting through clover, Yea Forums or 4channel. Maybe certain ISPs have

>Decisions and timescales effect outcomes in love and life
Comic Scott had best end because he actually got the time and space to get over his shit and make up with Ramona.
Original movie ending has Scott going with Knives because all this shit happens in one night and he doesn't actually mature enough to go with Ramona.
Scott's game ending has him hareming with everyone but Ramona because he beat up Nega-Scott instead of coming to terms with him, i.e., not only does he not mature he straight-up fights to stay an asshole.

Every-fucking-body missed this and it was brilliant on BLOM's part.

You damn right she did, also did a topless scene. They're nice.

am i the only one who likes her?

Attached: PhotoGrid_1494935681518.png (1920x1920, 2.38M)

Thats a man baby

Now I can reread the whole essay with an Australian accent in mind

Scott Pilgrim was about a soiboi leaf who wasted his life lusting over underage girls and fighting a bunch of people to get some used-goods pussy from his whore girlfriend. Since the main protagonist starts off trying to fuck an underage Asian loli, it's no surprise Yea Forums loves it.

>Scott's a good mate, but he's a fuckin dumb cunt

That's the whole point of his character though, he tries to make himself look like the good guy, the victim, chosing to ignore his negative actions, until they manifest as Nega Scott, fighting Scott until he accepts who he really is.