Missing Link/Laika

How had I never heard of this until yesterday? Do we have any hopes Yea Forums?

Kubo is pretty recent, I expected longer before their next release. They don't seem to be doing a big marketing push for it and just looking at posters alone it looks like they're going for Comedy here.
If Kubo's any indication it's not really their strong suit.

Attached: Missing-Link-Official-Trailer-1-752x440.jpg (752x440, 67K)

I don’t typically like Laika films because the only thing they do really have a strong suit is in the animation. Haven't care for their output since Coralline. Though that being said this movie looks really funny and charming.

Kubo was good, though tonally everywhere. Can't speak for Boxtrolls or Paranorman because I haven't seen them, they just don't look too interesting to me

And that's all of Laika's output

Didn't care for Kubo, and ParaNorman was okay.

It feels more Boxtrolls in tone, but I'm still interested in it because I'm a sucker for the old-timey Adventurer aesthetic they're using.

Coraline>ParaNorman>Boxtrolls>>>Kubo

Which is a shame because that means they've been going downhill for me, I don't care what anyone says - Kubo was such utter boring shit, and anyone that gives Boxtrolls shit hasn't seen it, Mr. Snatcher was a great villain - Coraline and ParaNorman remain the best.

Attached: 06946367821.png (300x335, 146K)

I enjoyed Coraline, thought Paranorman was just OK, but they completely lost me after Box Trolls. Haven't bothered with Kubo and likely won't bother with Missing Link, either.

Laika makes beautiful movies and their love of the craft of stop-motion is undeniable. Their movies LOOK brilliant. But it's all empty spectacle because they don't attach good stories to them. Or likeable characters. Or anything of substance. It's just pretty imagery for 90 minutes.

It's a shame, really. They are bankrolled by the heir of the Nike fortune because he has an autistic fixation on stop-motion films. Whether they make good movies or profitable movies is irrelevant because the Nike heir will keep giving them money, regardless. But instead of using the total creative freedom to tell good stories, they just churn out pretty filler, instead. It's a very disappointing lack of integrity on Laika's part. I think Coraline was good because it had a solid writer (Neil Gaiman) behind it and a director (Henry Sellick) who understood that visual spectacle needs narrative substance behind it to have any impact. Neither Gaiman nor Sellick have been involved in Laika's stuff post-Coraline, which would explain the steep decline in all but visual quality.

They need these fired Pixar writers.

I think Kubo was pretty good. Story perhaps wasn't up to much but I don't think it was bad at all

Paranorman>Coraline>Kubo>POWERGAP>Boxtrolls

wrong

This is going to be Laika’s first movie that doesn’t get an Oscar nom. Mark my words.

>Do we have any hopes Yea Forums?
Nah, Laika has been going downhill since Boxtrolls.

I mean, he's so independently wealthy he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone; it's just a hobby for fun.

Coraline>Paranorman>Kubo
I didn't know Boxtrolls was Laika's

Kubo looks fabulous, as usual, and the Gashadokuro puppet is a legitimate marvel, but there's something missing that I struggle to point out

My eyepatch fetish keeps dragging me back however

Early reviews are in. Brilliant visuals, weak story. Figures.

kubo was actually very good, although a bit over-ambitious. i wouldn't call it filler like box trolls was.

goddamn it

>instead of using the total creative freedom to tell good stories, they just churn out pretty filler
That's how that usually goes, senpai.

In theory a musician, for example, having gotten big enough to afford a personal studio and not being bound by record company demands SHOULD be able to devote themselves to PURE ART.

Instead what happens is 99% of the time is that they putz around for YEARS and eventually release some amazingly self indulgent crap.

The Blender 3D people have been making Open Movies for over a decade now and every last one of them is a very pretty Tech Demo.

I think the biggest issue I have with Missing Link so far is that it's Laika's first movie without a child protagonist

Who is "he"?
Also I don't really find weak story to be too big of an issue for Laika films. I find them entertaining enough. Kubo's story was fine, basic but I wouldn't say bad at all. I enjoyed it

The guy that runs laika with shoe money

Maybe it'll help them this time