I'm trying to learn French...

I'm trying to learn French. Could you recommend me your favorite comics and animated movies originating from French speaking countries?

Attached: 800px-Flag_of_France.svg.png (800x533, 1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

patribdanc.wixsite.com/archives-spirou-1978
youtube.com/watch?v=0CtGzj7NmSA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anything Moebius ever did.
I started with The Long Tomorrow, and I'd say that is a good jumping on point.

Asterix
Achille Talon
Anything Franquin ever did
Anything Gotlib ever did
Lucky Luke
What said
Spirou
Tintin

that's just off the top of my head, there's much more.

Smurfs is a fun and easy read.
I don't know if them speaking "smurf" would make it easier or harder for foreigners tho.

Unironically, kids books. They're fairly easy to read and you can make educated guesses based on context before looking up things you don't understand. If you've been at this for a while, then you may be beyond this stage.

As much as I love Gotlib, I would not recommend it to someone who's learning, since it's full of puns and wordplay. Likewise with Smurfs, the smurf schtick is not a good thing if you're trying to learn.

I'm in the same situation, French is my third language.
This plus
>anything Druillet (The one that made Jean Giraud develop and accept his Moebius persona; created Metal Hurlant along with Moebius)
>anything Chabouté (lots of different stuff)
>look up the Metal Hurlant anthology (Sci-fi)
>Lanfeust de Troy (Fantasy)
>Trolls de Troy (Fantasy and comedy)
>Valerian (inspired George Lucas to do Star Wars)
>Les Beaux Étés (comfy as fuck)

Attached: A1MhNz6JSSL.jpg (1687x2560, 1.35M)

As a person who did the same (though only to read comics).
I have some relatively easy-ish ones to read:
Powa, Les chronokids, Asterix, Violine, Seuls, Zizi chauve-souris, anything by bastien vives, melusine (much witch vocab to learn though)

Stuff that's translated into french from another language tends to be easier to read for a beginner in my opinion since you don't have to worry as much about:
Cybersix, je suis un vampire, necron (NSFW), la colere du guerrier eternal.

Take a cartoon or animated movie you current like watching and watch the french dub. English subtitles might even be available.

Don't do that.
Watch actual french stuff.

>Don't do that.
And why not?

Things get lost in translations.
It's better to hear people talking and making sentences more naturally than being held by the original script. And you can know more stuff if you just look up french cartoons instead of watching things you already know but dubbed.
You will get nothing out of this.
t. a guy who knows three languages

you're retarded, watching dubs is fine.
But I recommend to watch the movie with dubs and subs in the same language, to also see the words.

Nah I agree with him. You not only get more natural sounding dialog (not that dubs are always unnatural, but it does happen) but more importantly you get a lot more out of watching original stuff in terms of language, culture, exposure to new content. There's really not much of a point in watching something dubbed to learn a new language, especially when part of the point of learning a new language is to not need dubs

This list is great, I do have 2 caveats though. The first is to read asterix somewhat among the last of the things mentioned, just because so much of why it's beloved in Goscinny's mastery of the language puns.

The second is that Achille Talon, and franjly anything written by Greg, is most certainly not beginner friendly. heck I can google any random page and I'm sure the level of vocabulary will far surpass what your average teenaged native french speaker can understand

Attached: achilletalonp.jpg (572x792, 105K)

I agree with live action movies, but with animation I don't think it really matters
of course you should always balance things out

Didn't even double check that image, and while it's far from the most bombastic writing that Achille Talon is known for, it still proves my point somewhat

On OP's note, is there anywhere to read good ol' Franco-Belgian comics online in the original French? I'm talking in-browser.

>is there anywhere to read good ol' Franco-Belgian comics online in the original French? I'm talking in-browser.

Try this one.

patribdanc.wixsite.com/archives-spirou-1978

Attached: 101.jpg (2383x3148, 2.12M)

Also, don't dive in head first into Blake and Mortimer. Despite E. P. Jacobs being a disciple of Hergé, his style is far more dialogue-heavy with sparser action than Tintin.

Attached: secret_espadon_28_t3.jpg (600x807, 225K)

youtube.com/watch?v=0CtGzj7NmSA

this got me reading original comics

Nice