Thoughts on the Captain Marvel movie?

Thoughts on the Captain Marvel movie?

Attached: Captain_Marvel_poster.jpg (220x326, 110K)

Best MCU movie so far. Can't wait for more Brie in Endgame.

KYS

the flash backs to her child hood was pretty shallow and stupid as fuck

I saw it while blazed out of my mind and here are my thoughts

>Carol acted too weird when she was a Kree, like she was already a spunky human - her body language was really offputting to me (like when she's walking around the strip mall parking lot, she's all slouched and walking like a sullen kid, its so weird)
>Coulson and Fury talking about SHIELD was weird
>Talos or whatever the fucking Skrull was, it was weird when they suddenly turned up the comedy to 1000% with him in that one scene
>that terrible song choice for the final battle
>that completely lame and forgettable antagonist squad

Otherwise it was okay. Watchable.

I'll probably give this one a miss. Not for what anyone else has been saying. I just can't take Brie Lawson, as a superhero, very seriously. Even though the film wants to be taken seriously. She's got that valley girl accent, you know? It'd be like if a chav played superman.

i like it, not much else to say.

it certainly isn't Doctor boring Strange

Attached: 1539119215978.png (221x228, 89K)

I had to do a double-take because I thought that star was a star of David and that some nefarious Yea Forums shitposter had edited the poster to make an ebin joke.

good thing it lasted about thirty seconds

kek

it needed that Yon-Rogg scene with the SI even though we already know he's hiding something.

I dunno, she sounds a bit cheesy

but made the point as a motivator and was pretty shallow one too

The Supreme Intelligence scenes were fucking terrible, though

Needed more yon-rogg in general. It's all probably sitting on the cutting room floor, since the film looks kind of heavily edited, like a tv version of a movie

Bland and forgettable. The main character seems strangely disinterested and unmotivated. It's basically just things happening for the sake of happening, it doesn't follow any recognisable dramaturgical guidelines and as a result it's a massive pile of fluff.

here

Attached: 1538785242742.png (720x1280, 145K)

I liked it, but it's heavily reliant on the Marvel Movie formula. The movie also seemed afraid to dig deep into Carol's history. I think Marvel didn't want to do a complete origin movie, because of how many they've done in the past, but sidestepping it hurt Carol's development.

It was a failure that could have been awesome.

Larson was a miscast who actually was chosen well before the story was even written.
The directors were wildly unsuited to this kind of movie.
And the writer - Geneva Robinson-Dworet - is a hack.

I would love to read the original pitches/ screenplay by Perlman and LeFauve. Just to see what Dworet did to it.

Apparently the big mystery was that he perceives the Supreme Intelligence as himself - Yon-Rogg. Like he's a narcissist.

Goddamn. I hope they do it justice in the sequels.

>Dr Strange at the bottom, below the fucking hulk
At least it ended without the typical punchfest.

I'm not sure if someone with such a limited amount of writing jobs, in her belt, is worth being called a hack. Just yet. Rather, one should fire whoever hired a writer who, at the time, had only written a single film.

Is 'Tomb Raider' any good?

This one was slightly worse imo, at least Dr Strange had sick visuals

Dr. Strange also had a better villain. Yeah, Mads was wasted but he was still better than Yon-Rogg.

It’s okay. The last ten seconds annoyed me.

Brie Larson is cute but whoever directed her acting should be fired.

Regarding Yon-Rogg seeing themselves as the SI. Narcissist, or a person who has immense faith in themselves and their own judgment. Similarly to Carol, in that sense.

+ the scene did not make it into the film for a reason, most likely.

It was so they have all the shots if her standing up the same time.
Duh.

It was alright. Falls between Ultron and Captain America 1 for me. I think they could have done a lot with making a character that was really damaged by brain fucking that slowly crawled back to their human personality. Instead her personality was somewhat the same through the entire film. I think Brie was fine. The problem was more in the direction and writing.

i bet after the film yon rogg sees carol, tho.

yon-rogg is not even written as a proper villain in this film. The ultimate VILLAIN of Captain Marvel is Supreme Intelligence an the Kree collectivist ideology that squashes all individuality and is hyper-militaristic. And even there, there are probably reasons for it - or they are just shittily written.

yon-rogg's more of a frenemy of Carol given their relationship. They can either proceed by making him into the archenemy that he is to Carol or by giving him a redemption arc. Not using him anymore would be an utter waste of jude law.

A film with the potentially darkest personal storyline implications yet, but fails to live up to the psychological drama-thriller that it would be if it was not made as a Marvel/disney superhero flick.

He's just a dick. He kept harping on how overly emotional Carol was when she wasn't, he was. And his sparring consisted of telling someone much physically weaker with far less experience to handicap themselves to give him every possible advantage and then win.

Mary Sue: the movie

A movie where the protagonist barely struggles with anything and in the end goes full super saiyan against a powerless antagonist.Yawn.
Also young Nick Fury could have been great, instead is useless and is just the keeper of the plot device alien monster cat.

Mediocre movie with an idiotic controversy around it. The operative word for it is bland. Like Black Panther before it, the main character of the film is so boring that everyone around them seems more interesting, though for Captain Marvel this effect was far less across the board, with every single Kree character falling a bit flat. The movie did not annoy me, but it did not really excite me either. My attention was held for the duration of the film and it didn't have an awful third act like Black Panther that made me hate the film, but this falls towards the bottom of the list of Marvel movies. Ultimately I think I'm going to remember this one as "that movie with the Skrulls in it," with a side of feeling disappointed that Samuel L. Jackson is too old to play a really exciting Nick Fury.

What a boring reading of a villain.

Emotion is not the Kree's thing, first of. Secondly, the reason Yon-rogg tells Carol to control her emotions is because he is covering the Kree's ass - long-term memory triggers most heavily with emotions, therefore, by raising Carol under that dictum he makes sure her past does not resurface.

Also, controlling one's emotions and thinking with one's head is hardly bad advice for a soldier.

It may echo the belittling gender dynamics of our world, but it is an analogy - the Kree are not putting Carol in this situation in the film because she is a woman. It is because the Kree do not care about an individual’s freedom on the whole that Yon-Rogg’s advice is abusive. Not because he cannot stand to see a woman do well in battle. It's shown repeatedly in the film that he in fact believes in her and cares about her quite a bit - defending her to Starforce for instance "She's stronger than you think!".

>Age of Ultron that high

This can be fixed.
Set up Carol to slowly become a villain.
She starts to have a drinking problem, and once she comes out of that funk, she'll decide to stop weakling humans from making the same mistake, and start the Carol Corps, who will stop crimes before they happen.

Captain America (not necessarily Steve Rogers) steps in to stop her, and Civil War 2 happens.

Black panther was good though. There was an actual villain and beating him was a challenge. Not to mention the interesting Afro futurism setting.

It was ok. I didn't like Bries acting personally, it didn't make her seem approachable.

I also didn't like the recon regarding Nick Fury's eye.

It wasn't a bad movie, but not good either.

another concrete slop

You have to remember that marvel needs her as an excuse to have people fundraise tickets for little girls to see her. So they can't have her as a villain.

why, and let's not forget the whole girls cant do anything shoved in our face.

I liked it more than Thor 1 and Strange, but less than ANTS and Cap 1.
It's a thoroughly "okay" movie to me.

you didnt like strange?! that shit was a visual roller coaster

I didn't say that. I liked the visuals of Strange, but visuals aside it just felt mostly "okay." I enjoyed Captain Marvel a bit better, but in the same vein of it being just "okay."

Strange has one of the better final encounters in any of the movies but I can see why some people found it boring. I really liked it personally and look forward to Strange 2 now that he is actually a master of the mystic arts.

I'm really looking forward to Strange 2's effects, especially after seeing what they pulled off in Infinity War.

>Also, controlling one's emotions and thinking with one's head is hardly bad advice for a soldier.

Advice he didn't think applied to him when he sperged out and demanded a fist fight with no powers.

My only complaints about Black Panther in my post were that T'Challa himself is kind of boring and that the last act pissed me off. T'Challa was more interesting in Civil War than he was in his own movie, where he was kind of dull by comparison. If it weren't for the last act I would say the movie is good, but then you get to some fight sequences with some really bad CGI and a plot that involves a CIA operative using a drone to quash to depose a foreign leader to protect U.S. interests. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, it's like the opposite end of the political spectrum that The Winter Soldier, the best Marvel movie, was on. That said I still think it was an okay movie, and I'd be able to say it was good if it weren't for that last act. Marvel Studios should have never let the Hobbit get his way by changing Ross from being State Department to CIA.

Attached: cia.gif (540x300, 2.96M)

I found it dull and unengaging. Whatever flaws other MCU movies may have they have hills to go with their valleys, Captain Marvel was a solid four in every measure all the way through.