Everyone tells me the Gauntlet/Grim Hunt are some of the best shit to come out of the BND era

>Everyone tells me the Gauntlet/Grim Hunt are some of the best shit to come out of the BND era
>almost entirely mediocre stories except for the Sandman and Rhino stories

Attached: gauntlet.jpg (324x499, 35K)

Honestly I was pretty disappointed with almost all of BND so far. The only stories I really liked were New Ways To Die, The flashback episode with Flash, Unscheduled Stop, and #600

The only reason people say they like Gauntlet is because they compare it to what came before

Yes, what seems to be the problem? It should be telling you about the state of things at the time.

I just remember at least a few anons here praising it as legitimately great.

I don’t know, Electro’s and Mysterios weren’t bad either. Juggernaut and Morbius felt odd men out, plus we got the shit Vulture instead of Toomes

Electro's was my favourite

Compare that to the fucking Paperdoll arc or that shit with Freak and you will understand why

Btw, my Spanish hardcover for this arc has an intro where the one writing the introduction says that, according to an interview, Waid regrets the way he finished his Vulture arc because he realized that it didnt made sense for Peter to do that.
I have never been able to find said interview.

Electro's story would have been okay if not for the really hamfisted and lazy attempt at social commentary

>not appreciating Snow
top pleb

Snow's art was great, but the plot just felt all over the place and unfocused. Also the central conceit of a super dimensional computer that takes hieroglyphics instead of binary is dumb

There was a ton of that in Marvel around 2008/09 whether it be references to the election or whatever was going on in the news regarding the recession

Post a picture of it

You realize you won't be able to read it, right?

>he thinks I don't speak Spanish
That's really rude, user

>some of the best shit of a shit era is mediocre shit

woah what a surprise!

Should I read Grim Hunt?

It provides some context for Spencer’s current run I suppose

>>Everyone tells me the Gauntlet/Grim Hunt are some of the best shit to come out of the BND era

I kept seeing that on Yea Forums as far back as 2009 or 2010 and even then I felt like Shed and Grim Hunt were way overrated. Gauntlet has some good stories but a lot of it felt very off to me. I think people thought "at last, we're out of the JMS era" but to me Spider-Man himself seemed like an ineffective joke in the BND era in general.

I hope you care about a bunch of C-list Spider Women

>implying the Electro story was bad

Attached: 99% charged.jpg (1280x1977, 1.08M)

It's like TDKR Bane, but even more heavy handed. More than that, it felt like Waid wanted to write something about the (then) ongoing bank bailout, but didn't have anything actually interesting to say about it. He just constantly kind of references it and the aesthetic qualities of things like Occupy.

Keep in mind, while Gauntlet was coming out it was marketed as a big return of the Sinister Six after we had just gone through a long BND era of introducing newer villains like Mr Negative, Paper Doll, Massacre, Screwball and Freak, none of which were particularly good villains. Gauntlet gave a lot of classic Spidey villains their own return to the limelight that didn’t feel rushed, each came back with a slight update, some added in character development and were written to seem like a genuine threat to Spidey and those around him.

Mister Negative is cool, just underdeveloped

He would be a better Cloak and Dagger villain than a Spidey villain to be honest

I think the best argument that Mr Negative was a good idea with poor execution is his story in the PS4 game, which is great

Are you just saying that for aesthetic reasons?

>thinking people on this board don't speak Spanish
Did you miss the thread where Mexican Spider-Man was being translated?

Paper Doll is an awesome concept, fuck you. It's just that she might've worked better with a more unique superhero, like Moon Knight.

>Btw, my Spanish hardcover for this arc has an intro where the one writing the introduction says that, according to an interview, Waid regrets the way he finished his Vulture arc because he realized that it didnt made sense for Peter to do that.

I think he said this on a panel as well. And yes, it was a really fucking terrible idea he had.

Her powers are cool, but her personality and motivation were dumb and annoying

Really great concept, sure, but the comics she was featured in were so poorly made that the Spidey office literally forgot that she exists. As you said tho, she would have worked out much better as someone else’s villain
No, Mr Negative’a power comes directly from the Darkforce, which is also where Cloak’s powers are linked to. we only ever saw him interact with Cloak and Dagger once by inverting their powers and morals, but that was a much more interesting angle than anything that he’s been written in with Spidey as his main focus, he made Devil’s Breath and turned Eddie into Anti Venom, only one of those two things is cool. Li just doesn’t feel like a Spidey villain to me is all.

Her powers are cool, but her personality and motivation were dumb and annoying

>he made Devil’s Breath and turned Eddie into Anti Venom, only one of those two things is cool.

I actually like Anti Venom, and don't understand the hate he gets

user, Anti Venom is the thing that’s cool from those two things. I haven’t ever seen Anti Venom get any kind of hate on Yea Forums or literally anywhere else. Devil’s Breath is just meh

Sure as fuck not as good as Slott's later work. What he did with Ben Reilly was brilliant. A true visionary.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting user

Different user, but Slott from Big Time to Superior was legitimately way better.

Best is relative

Here. Sorry I'm late I just got home. He doesnt give any details about the interview or anything.

Attached: buitre.jpg (3024x4032, 1.17M)

Except for Alpha

She deserved a better arc that the one she got that was an arc dedicated to show us that MJ was fucking a Hollywood asshole

The last three Cloak and Dagger mini series (the digital exclusive ones ny Hopeless) feature C&D vs Mr.Negative

Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of bad/forgettable stories from that era as well. I'm just saying it had higher and more consistent highs.

Really? Well hot damn that is a step in the right direction, but hit damn do they need someone other than fucking Hopeless, and the digital exclusive isn’t helping much.

You kidding right? I heard many anons say this but i played it and he never became interesting at any point, even the backstory they tried to give him was so flimsy and they never went deeper with it

when has anyone ever said they hated Anti-venom?
at least on here it's one of the bright sides people can see from dan slotts run

People were desperate for something decent or even mediocre, in retrospective brand new day was chapter one tier bad and it was the status quo for the longest time, and even when we got out of it slott was gonna write his dumb fanfiction run for 10 years, it was an awful time , hell, even despite rhino's story being the only good one in my opinion, everything else kelly did in bnd was garbage

I just think that the whole FEAST thing is a really good addition to the Spider-Man canon, and gives Aunt May something interesting to do, which is often hard for a lot of writers. His ability to bring out the best/worst in people has a lot of potential for character exploration, even not much has been done on that front. Plus he just has a really cool look.

May's role in Feast was something i liked too, but to put into perspective mr negative's lacking development, tombstone was easily the best bossfiggt and was more interesting and had a better final confrontation than mr negative despite him just being a side mission boss, in my opinion he should have been the first antagonist before doc ock's rise

Yes, the whole plot is about the Darkforce and how the three of them are connected.
The first mini was kind of weak but the two next ones were pretty fun

SHED is the only good thing I remember about BND.

More like SHEDGE

Not really. It's supposed to be Spidey's "Knightfall" before "The Gauntlet", but aside Lizard's "SHED", is barely relevant to the endgame.

Part of me likes SHED but it was just so much more style than substance. Plus the whole "people turn into animals because there's a lizard part of the brain" is kind of dumb (just like when Aquaman does it.) Having him eat his son was also excessive

I think you got some stuff mixed up

Grassy ass

de nalga

I thought there were only 2 Cloak and Dagger minis by Hopeless

The first one featured the grey dude with mist powers that they killed as teens

And second one was the one with Mr Negative as the antagonist

>hell, even despite rhino's story being the only good one in my opinion, everything else kelly did in bnd was garbage

Really? Cause I thought American Son was okay, but only about the Osborns. I felt like Kelly's Spider-Man wasn't that great during BND, though. Kelly seemed to write a better Spider-Man during Spider-Man/Deadpool.