When did Wonder Woman start carrying a sword and shield ALL OF THE TIME?

When did Wonder Woman start carrying a sword and shield ALL OF THE TIME?

Attached: wonder-woman-DC-75.jpg.480x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg (480x323, 22K)

since the cinematic debut in BvS
before that in the new 52 she only carried the sword all the time

It make sense with the hoplite motiff, a lance would be better tho

You guys get so triggered over the imagery, despite the fact that she’s still not a murderous psychopath which you pretend she is. Have a real Diana complaint, like her invisible jet, her kangaroo, or half her Rogues not being used

Literally her golden age run, her not using the Sword is silver age bullshit, she is a barbarian warrior for fucks sake.

>carrying a lance all the time would be better

When she became good.

when they killed the character with the movie version

*ALL OF THE TIME*
dumb nigger

She's not going to carry shield and sword in Wonder Woman 1984, so soon enough they'll drop them in the comics too because the stupid synergy must go on

In the 80's DC was doing a lot of retooling of their comics to better compete with Marvel and appeal more to older demographics.
Batman got a new origin story by Frank Miller that really cemented him as a dark, pulp-esque character.
Superman got a new origin story by John Byrne that brought him up to the Marvel standard at the time.

So Wonder Woman, whose sales had been floundering even worse than Batman and Superman and who was still a bit of a joke amongst older comic fans, was gonna get the same treatment. George Perez and Len Wein decided that the fact that her origin was somewhat connected to Greek mythology (due to her creator's wife being a huge fan of Greek myth and history) was something they could use to set her apart from other heroes, and they did it to great effect, not letting the increased Greek mythological aesthetics overtake the more traditional and iconic aspects of the character.

In the years since DC continued to double down on this idea because it gave them an easily marketable gimmick for the character.

You're mistaken, the Amazons were designed to be the creator's vision of a peaceful utopian society, and her lasso was selected specifically in lieu of a regular weapon because swords were violent and masculine while ropes are defensive and feminine.

The only instances of her holding a sword in the Golden Age are in some of Harry Peter's title illustrations that aren't related to actual stories.

Attached: Sensation Comics V1942 #1 - Wonder Woman Arrives in Man's World (1942_1) - Page 6.jpg (900x1210, 277K)

Getting upset about Diana using a sword/shield is the dumbest fucking thing. If she’s a cold blooded killer, than yeah I could see people being upset. She’s still the symbol of truth, love, and compassion

the shield defeats the purpose of her bracelets
it's like if superman carried a laser gun

She always had the sword and shield, just was rarely seen with it in books. Too much re-telling in the 70s-80s like the other user pointed out.

>it's like if superman carried a laser gun
That actually sounds fun.
Like superheroes having fun with gadgets that do what they can already do.
> Superman with a jetpack
> Aquaman trying an old diving suit
> Batman not being amused

Diana’s powers make any defensive implement weird. If she uses bracelets, she’d have to have super speed to meet every projectile and probably super strength to stop the kinetic energy from breaking her wrists. A shield would be simpler, but has some of the same problems. And then if she has super strength (and the requisite durability) she logically wouldn’t need protection to begin with.

That’s a retarded argument. One doesn’t negate the other, and a shield provides better/consistent cover that’s great protecting others. Bracelets are still used

She literally use a sword consistently in her very first comic and in some other comics in the same year.

>She always had the sword and shield
Nope.

When everyone realized it was cooler and more unique than her being female Superman.

>She literally use a sword consistently in her very first comic
you have no idea what you're talking about lol

She deflects bullets with her bracelets
but what if it's a machine gun or a shotgun or hell, a (multi)laser?

It is not advertised much but she has super speed. She can block anything.

Attached: forget.jpg (968x602, 169K)

Superman with a sword

Attached: 8jshyiu75bb01.gif (600x907, 533K)

You try stabbing someone without a sword.

Did you post a pic from SMWW book, specially an issue where Wonder Woman cries about Superman breaking up with her because of Batman? Why do you even have that saved in your computer?

>Lasso
Great

>Lasso and Sword
Still like it

>Lasso, Sword and Shield
Too much

Wonder Woman shouldn't be wanting to stab someone.

Batman with a sword

Attached: 1678680-batman_244_vs_ras_with_sword-580x848.jpg (580x848, 242K)

Batman isn't a hero like Superman and Wonder Woman, though. Don't you know? He's a bad man.

holy fuck what is wrong with you people? She doesn't WANT to stab anyone! You faggots act like she wants to decapitate every goddamn purse snatcher on the street or something. No, she has a sword, but only uses it when necessary against shit that either a monster or a robot.

Swords are meant to cut and pierce. Why would anyone carry it if they didn't intended to cut or pierce someone?

That's like walking around with a gun.

Faggot, we know what you're doing, you're trying to start an outrage thread over fucking nothing and keep bumping it to kickstart it. This thread has been up for hours and hasn't even reached 50 posts.

Go fish elsewhere.

The word "barbarian" is literally derived from the Greek "barbaros" which basically means someone from a land that doesn't speak Greek.

not him but how was the post you're replying to not a valid point?

Because there are times when, get this, a cutting tool is pretty handy. She has plenty of means, especially the lasso, to defuse a situation

I'm not OP, but i also think that Wonder Woman going around carrying a sword and a shield is retarded. Specially when Wonder Woman was meant to be a pacifist that wants to spread the ideals of love and peace (and femdom).

If she has a lasso to defuse situations peacefully and bracelets to defend herself and others, why would she need a sword and a shield?

does she ever stab/cut anyone?

>a cutting tool is pretty handy
So carry a hunting knife you fucking mong

Swords aren't "cutting tools". They're specialized weapons with edges that aren't even particularly sharp by knife standards used explicitly for slicing human flesh with great force. Please stop being an idiot in your next post.

No, he’s a bat man.

>pacifist
If that were true she'd never fight anybody and be more reluctant to fight than fucking Dove.
Because not everything she fights is human?
Hey genius, weapons are also classified as tools.

She should really carry something full-auto.

The amazons, in he Greek myths, were barbarians. They didn't speak Greek and were savage women that had the gall of wanting to be like men. They were meant to be a preposterous concept that was meant to be villainized.

Marston, of course, tried to flip that by presenting the amazons as an enlightened and Utopian society. DC, though, in their infinity wisdom decided to eventually reduced Wonder Woman and the amazons to be more like the ancient myths.

>If that were true she'd never fight anybody and be more reluctant to fight than fucking Dove.
Superman's a pacifist, but he still punches people.

>Because not everything she fights is human?
Who the fuck are you, Batman? Just because they aren't humans that doesn't mean it's not murder. Fuck off, Bruce. You kill people. Aliens are people too.

>weapons are also classified as tools.
you're just shitposting, aren't you? nobody is this fucking obtuse. tell me what you think a sword is useful for other than hacking away at human flesh. I can assure you whatever you say I can provide a tool that's better suited for it, and as long as I can do that, her use of a sword for non-combat reasons is flawed.

If Diana needs to cut something, she can use the tiara. The sword and shield is just try hard marketing.

My favorite Wonder Woman power is her armpits

Attached: DBXrtznVoAEaNhB.jpg (1200x953, 164K)

She could wear the libra gold cloth and have the full kit

Wonder Woman has super-strength, super-speed, and super-resistance. She also has a magical and unbreakable lasso that she can use to pacify enemies without any bloodshed. The sword is not a necessity. Why the fuck would she even carry a sword if not to maim and kill people?
Same way, she has unbreakable bracelets that she always used to deflect bullets either for own benefit or for the benefit of others. So why the necessity of the shield?

The sword just screams MURDER INTENT and LETHALITY. Things that shouldn't be associated with Wonder Woman.

Attached: Justice League 022 (2013) (2 covers) (digital-Empire).cbr-Justice League (2011-) 022-005.jpg (1988x3056, 2.26M)

The sad truth is that anti-shield/sword fags don't read Wonder Woman and just parrot shit they've head/scene in cartoons and Linda Carter. Diana is a warrior, but that doesn't mean she's a war obsessed nutjob like Ares. She knows love, truth, compassion, honor, and kindness, and will fight to her last breath to protect those ideals. Sometimes that unfortunately means taking up a sword, and Diana knows when to stay her hand.
>"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence. Violence is any day preferable to impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent.”
>-Mahatma Gandhi

Attached: Wonder Woman poster.jpg (1186x1800, 480K)

I'm all on board with Superman carrying a gun. Even if he never used it.

Don't post New 52 trash, faggot. No one considers the JL Diana of that time accurate, and is irrelevant to what we're discussing. She's used swords, spears, bows, and everything else over the decades and yet you not muh pussies act like she's going to kill everyone she sees just because she has a bladed weapon available

I read Wonder Woman comics. Always have. The sword thing started to be used heavily with the New 52. That's when Geoff Johns and several writers started to write Wonder Woman as a irrational and blood-thirsty barbarian. The comics keep showing her with a sword and shield because of the movie now, even if she in her own comics stopped with that shit. It's still a dumb thing that shouldn't be so overly exposed.

Also, Wonder Woman being willing to kill is stupid. Greg Rucka run was stupid. Infinite Crisis era in general was fucking stupid. Kingdom Come was horribly stupid. DC forcing Phill Jimenez to show Wonder Woman sporting the KC golden-eagle armor, sword, and shield in cross-over events like Our Worlds At War was stupid. The decision of George Perez to bring Wonder Woman more closely to the Greek myths was also stupid in retrospect. I can keep going.

She used them VERY rarely and even Perez admit that it was a mistake on his part to show her carrying such weapons in stories like War of the Gods. Shut the fuck up.

>The decision of George Perez to bring Wonder Woman more closely to the Greek myths was also stupid in retrospect
And that's were you lost me. I'm beginning to think you're some autist who just wants Superman with tits

It was. Because now every idiot will use that period as an excuse to say: "See, she used a sword in this story for all of two pages! That means she always used them!" Not to mention that it stuck Wonder Woman in that weird place where now almost all her stories about gods and monsters shenanigans. Even the amazons were reduced to sword and sandals barbarians that only knows magic.

Has Wonder Woman canonically had sex?

>Not to mention that it stuck Wonder Woman in that weird place where now almost all her stories about gods and monsters shenanigans
That’s a writer/editorial problem, not the concept. She still beat people into submission with her bare hands and you call that pacifism because the imagery doesn’t trigger your selective autism. She trains with every weapon known to man, and yet you expect her not to use any of that when forced. Superman has damn heat vision that can melt a fucker by looking at them, and surprise, he doesn’t do that (most of the time). Hey how about this; next time Starro comes to face fuck the planet, Diana can lasso all the spores and let everyone else deal with it.

>She trains with every weapon known to man, and yet you expect her not to use any of that when forced.
I guess Batman should shoot people every now and then, then.
>Hey how about this; next time Starro comes to face fuck the planet, Diana can lasso all the spores and let everyone else deal with it.
Like when she did the exact same thing when Starro tried to conquer planet Earth and the Justice League came together to stop them? Wow, that was an unfortunate example you used.

Is this like the same dumb shit like people bitching about Captain America using a pistol and pretending he didn’t kill anyone in WWII?
The Starro thing is still valid. Why wouldn’t you use a sword to cut the giant tentacles?

Because they might grow back twice?

He’s used them before

Attached: FD429202-05AD-45B4-9F41-45A64AEF3051.jpg (1200x1920, 407K)

Bracelets and lasso are iconic and unique, sword and shield are not.

And yet, we can have both thankfully

I feel like I'd rather be shot with a gun than punched by Superman.

I mean if Superman was holding back you'd just get knocked out instantly, if he wasn't you'd die instantly.

??? I literally have the Golden Age omni right here in front of me and she only uses it during the contest where she's sparring

I prefer the lasso but sword and shield look more imposing, and since the movie came out WW has been pushed as a "just like her male counterparts, but female and pretty". Lasso and compassion aren't manly cool

>You guys get so triggered over the imagery,
Look, she should be carrying the goddamn Lasso. Even Brian "What's wrong with her mom being complicit in annual mass rape/murder fests" Azzarello understood the Lasso is all she needs.