Burton has always enjoyed the aesthetic of difference, freak show sensibilities, and shock value...

>Burton has always enjoyed the aesthetic of difference, freak show sensibilities, and shock value, but his decision to stick to stereotypes--as well as making Holt an amputee (which has little to do with the plot) whilst casting someone with both arms in the role--showcases a lack of commitment or interest in the reality or authenticity of the lives of people who actually live and thrive in these circumstances.

Attached: 443758EE-1DE0-49A0-8213-66592ABB36CC.jpg (750x891, 317K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wasn't aware circuses and freak shows in the earlier part of the century are conditions people still live in.

>IGN
What did you expect?

Tod Browning looks in your direction shaking his head with disappointment.

Anyone else wondering what these guys are going to say about it?

Attached: img_59eb9765ec617[1].png (1170x1170, 1.58M)

Who?

Is UCB still funny?
I like their 90's show but I'm wary of the improv genre, I think it reached its zenith and is slowly withering.

Why didn’t he hire an armless actor? That’s pretty shitty.

He tried, but they couldn't sign the contract

No it isnt you fuck. The entire point of acting is putting yourself in the lives of others.

Fuck, i laughed

Fucking called it. Watching the movie I just knew tumblrites would get upset cause "THERE'S AN INDIAN SNAKE CHARMER MUH HARMFUL STEREOTYPES"

Most Americans on the internet are pretty much mentally retarded, I swear. I don't know what the fuck happened to these people in the last couple of years but they bitch and whine more than us Germans and that's a huge feat

I absolutely believe that there are parts of the world where amputees are paraded as freaks.

I heard there is no pink elephants.

Yes, damn those snowflakes for...being tired of tired stereotypes in a remake of a half-century old cartoon by a director who has done nothing but ape style his whole career.

They're dismissing a fresh and interesting character out of petty politics! It's white genocide!

I actually agree with what he's saying but that bullshit about casting a non-amputee to play a fucking role takes away any sort of value to his statement.

>the aesthetic of difference, freak show sensibilities, and shock value, but his decision to stick to stereotypes--as well as making Holt an amputee (which has little to do with the plot) whilst casting someone with both arms in the role--showcases a lack of commitment or interest in the reality or authenticity of the lives of people who actually live and thrive in these circumstances.

I liked this story more when it had the hot cradle-robbing GILF in it along with apocalypse occult magic and shit.

Attached: Adrienne_Barbeau_Ruthie-the-snake-charmer-carnivale-37178629-2592-1728.jpg (2592x1728, 549K)

It’s mentioned, I think. My complaint is that they omitted Timothy.

Wait...the mouse isn’t in it? He’s like the second main character.

India.

Because if they had cast a one-armed actor, I absolutely guarantee you these same faggots would be whining about fetishizing his disability or some bullshit.

What are you even bitching about, you retard?

There are. They're part of the big circus show at Dreamland, the music plays and everything. It's funny how out of place it is compared to the rest of the movie. It just suddenly happens and then the movie continues as if it never happened.

youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU

Not really what you're talking about but I didn't wanna miss the chance to post that (go to 1:18 for maximum awesomeness).

It's not a remake of the original. There's no talking animals. The kids have a few pet mice and one of them is wearing the outfit tho, as an easter egg.

Have you seen the trailer? Technically speaking, the movie does have a mouse with Timothy's outfit. But it looks like it's only a cameo/reference, and his role as Dumbo's friend has been given to some kid OCs.

How many armless actors would there be available for the job? Genuinely asking, because I've never seen any. I don't think it's impossible for an armless guy to choose acting as a career, but considering how for example Warwick Davis seems to pop up every single time they need a really short guy, I'm not sure if there can be a large selection of armless actors either (or if there's that much demand for them).

Attached: trailer.jpg (1243x622, 68K)

Why the fuck would you make a character into an amputee and then cast a guy with both arms? That's just going out of your way to piss these people off. Why even do it in the first place? It adds nothing.

Because it's an important part of his character and motivations? It's not something they did for "visual flair" or something.

You absolute fucking casual

It's a movie about an elephant who can fly. We're looking at reality and authenticity in the rear view mirror.

That one mouse curled up in shame

They actually seem to think people with birth defects are blessed by gods. There was a 4 legged 4 armed girl born there and people visited her to get good luck.

Armless and legless people used to get hired all the time to play people who got their arms and legs torn off and shit like that, but I guess that's kinda obsolete now with CGI. The question is, how many of them are proper actors that can actually do a part and not merely stunt doubles/extras.
I just hope the guy who wrote the article doesn't watch The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs or he's gonna get triggered.

Depends on what it is. Vestigial Tails and and that girl they say are like the gods because they have features like some of them. Other shit is cursed by the gods Pariahs.

But they do that kind of shit in other Asian countries too. There's one that takes a small girl to be treated as a god until she's too old. Basically Pedo Princess.

Yet another shitty remake, only this time nobody fucking asked for it.

It's fine when it's done tastefully with a good actor (case in point - Lt Dan from Forrest Gump)... but when it's a pointless character trait and a shitty actor it's cringe central.

You realise that Snake Charmers exist in India? And that not a single actual Indian would find it offensive?

Do you want all Non westerners to be white washed Cucks to fit in your White man Burden influenced head?

Are we SERIOUSLY going there now
armless appropriation
fuck me

You could be cast as a special needs character in a movie, because you are retarded.

I feel like most people who are upset by "harmful stereotypes" aren't actually members of that cultural group.
Like the nerd who made that Apu documentary who was born and raised in america or that asian american who got assblasted by a white girl in a chinese dress. Meanwhile actual people in India and China couldn't care less.