Traditional animation or computer animation ?

traditional animation or computer animation ?

Attached: soul, soulles.jpg (1019x492, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HT3qyRM4PIc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FutureWave_Software
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast-safe
youtu.be/KIy-YmJ22WA?t=58
youtu.be/1TSTL2iCkIQ?t=149
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you really have to ask?

why did cell animation have to die ? who do I blame for this ?

There's not much reason to use cels when computer scanning and image editing is so cheap and easy.

soul / soulless

what show is this?

If the process becomes cheaper, easier, faster, and more streamlined than traditional cel animation, shouldn't animators utilize that to make something better, or at the very least, on par with what came out 30 years ago?

Who knows? I'm not privy to the internal workings of whatever show's in OP.

Trad

Don't blame the medium, blame the artist.

At least use the same series.

Digital is fine and quite flexible, it's just that the industry is pushing for shortcuts

both are better than cgi

why does left look more cozy than right ? i can't explain it but right looks lifeless

why ?

soul vs soulless

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, digital animation IS CGI and a lot of 2D animation applications do support 3D modeling, so...

But why

pedo / mentally retarded pedo

Is it too hard to make something that looks and animates like the first picture on a computer?

either is fine as long as they actually put in effort

Not really, there will always be ways to manipulate digital brushes and post-processing effects to simulate the feel of old timey film.

The problem with digital is that there's a need to make things appear "clean" and "correct" most of the time. Japan works digital too, but the industry there gives room to be stylistical flawed if the need calls for it.

If anything, the West is afraid of things not looking perfect all the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=HT3qyRM4PIc

>why does left look more cozy than right ?
Because it's cartoony artstyle vs a more "realistic" style. The first girl has a big head, big expressive cartoon eyes and a relatively small body. The girl on the right has more "realistic" face and proportions and that makes her look creepy. The uncanny valley effect. That and the colors. The same artstyle could look "soul or souless" depeding on the colors. Pic related.

uncanny valley

Attached: 1489674616761.png (949x667, 1.46M)

>who do I blame for this ?
If you really want names, Charlie Jackson and Jonathan Gay.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FutureWave_Software

I used the same colors as the op but it doesn't come off right

Attached: Sans titre.png (2820x1790, 96K)

Aside from the different illustrator, digital coloring has stricter rules because to put it short, some colors won't look right on other people's screens. There's a risk of color bleed obscuring some lines or some colors not being what was intended by the artist (What's supposed to be green can appear blue on another display and yellow on another)

I took a graphic design course YEARS ago and this is something we covered when using photoshop

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast-safe

Don't blame the artist, blame the producers.

>Girl on the left
And people say cartoons can't look cute and only anime can.

>2019
>still hating CGI
What the fuck man. We are getting soulful cartoony-looking CGI now.

Attached: The.Grinch.2018.webm (1280x534, 1.37M)

It still looks like it has more soul than the left side. The problem with the left is that it looks cheap and 'mass produced'.

>And people say cartoons can't look cute and only anime can.

No one has said that and especially not here.
If they have, it was probably because of modern cartoons having ugmo as the default.

What were you trying to do, make digital art look like cel art? That's definitely achievable, but not in ten minutes using only MS Paint.

don't you mean right ?

depends on the story it tells

>Illuminatiom
>Soulful

Attached: 1518225006438.jpg (210x240, 18K)

Sing and The Grinch had soul

How expensive the traditional way is and most of the traditional folks are dying

what an ugly baby

What are the cartoons on the left and right?

I reverse image searched, and left is from Care Bears Nutcracker, right is from the Magic Schoolbus reboot

Nutcracker sounds racist

The people using flash/toonboom aren't Disney theatrical animators. Modern animation is at best, directionless, none of these people were taught by masters.

One to one, down to the graininess? Yes. But to just animate it like the left, no, people are just too lazy in America now. I'd even call France out but even they know how to make god tier appealing designs to hid the tween animation.

How far have we fallen that a 1988 cartoon looks significantly better than a 2017 cartoon?

Well, that's because the left is animated by the same people that did Animaniacs. Which was a Jap studio iirc.

I feel that Japan really improved their animation after switching to digital coloring, aside from the weird period in late 90s/early 00s when everything looked like shit for some reason.

That is a still picture, not animation. The design is American.

Once again cartoons only look decent because of the japanese. Good look cartoons wouldn't be possible without them.

Her unblinking gaze sees every color of fear!

Attached: looks like grandma the fuckin thing.jpg (1280x720, 71K)

Retard

Left is cartoony enough to not trigger the uncanny valley response.

Mate, the animators are still the artists. Nearly all of American cartoons are outsourced to the East in some way, the design itself was still finalized from a Jap studio. "Anime" isn't only Japanese. Disney had a very distinct art style, and they are a art team composed of eastern and non eastern artists.

I ask myself this everyday user

He's right though, the Japanese race is the best at animation designs

I can't imagine anyone on Yea Forums legitimately appreciating the stylization of the right over the left.

Just stop posting, Famicon. You ruin every thread about animation.

Japan is the reason why cartoons are so big today. Cartoons would be nothing without japan. This isn't just america, but european cartoons wouldn't be possible without japan.

You are mean one

Attached: mpv-shot0021.jpg (1281x534, 78K)

This was interesting, thanks.

We can say the same about how 1930s and 40s cartoons look better than 1950s cartoons.

True

Digital animation in itself is fine, and much cheaper.
It's just that everyone would rather take shortcuts than make things look really good.

The thumbnail made her look nude.

nobody wants to spend the kind of money for good trad

Traditional computer animation.

then why did they do it in the past ?

I love the grimy feel that old animation provided. Dragon Ball Super lacks this character.

Lack of alternatives, computers were very rarely used until the 80s and even than they looked somewhat horrifying.

Not just Super. Most modern anime. Compare the old OVAS of JoJo to the modern show.

Why does it matter? I mean you can do traditional animation on the computer if you're willing to put time and effort into it.

Something hopeful I found is Megalo Box, while it's still digital it made strides to mimic the rough feel of the older styles of animation. If technology keeps moving forward then we can at least recapture the hand-drawn look again one day.

Because good computers were expensive as shit, software barely existed and there was a learning curve, so many people just settled on traditional until there was more software support, prices lowered and people became more accustomed to computers.

>why did people in the 18th Century ride horses when they could have driven cars
Gee user, I wonder.

Super got a new art director in "Broly". The movie had that old anime feeling.

Attached: 675b8cddd4b2434605b81406ddc25edb.jpg (843x948, 102K)

Mostly this with lack of sufficient funds. It doesn't matter if you have the greatest animator to work for yoy when you give them super tight deadlines and don't pay the extra hours they'll have to use.

Its furshit, how much soul can ya get?

>Felix, looney tunes, tom&jerry, The pink panther, etc
>not soul

>still furshit
You ain't too bright huh?

Not sure if underage or retarded.
Going to assume both.

Japan didn't start consistently using digital coloring in anime until about 1998-2000. So it's a given the stuff around that era looks wonky as fuck, since I'd imagine the animation studios were still accumulating to the newer techniques.

That said no matter the era, anime will always suffer from a hilariously bad amount of QUALITY. It's practically pre-written into the production process.

Attached: hurf.jpg (621x480, 57K)

Animation is just nicer to look at with more simple line art instead of more detailed

I hate underaged bastards. Really do.

Anime will always be the pinnacle of quality. Much better than western cartoons.

>he doesn't know what QUALITY means
lmao newfag

What is about cell animation that feels so good compared to Digital? Not saying Digital is bad but it lacks something

Cell animation (1991)
youtu.be/KIy-YmJ22WA?t=58

Digital (2015)
youtu.be/1TSTL2iCkIQ?t=149

Attached: DBZ.png (736x548, 582K)

this movie's visuals and character designs were shit tho lol

In the case of DBZ, I'd say its really that the digital coloring is so bad that it makes even the most mundane cel animation look good. The newer stuff looks....shiny. Like, dipped in oil shiny. Shading your colors is good but the digital version has no restraint whatsoever about it.

second

see

Traditional animation.
I hate modern computer animation, it's lifeless.

>I used the same colors as the op but it doesn't come off right
That's because you drew it on a computer.

Post more Anna.

I think he was being sarcastic.

>make digital art look like cel art? That's definitely achievable
No it's not

Nop