Mutants aren't re--

Woman with gene mutation feels almost no pain, researchers find

A woman in Scotland who can feel virtually no pain has a mutation in a previously-unidentified gene, according to researchers.

Jo Cameron, who lives near Loch Ness in the Highlands, also experiences very little anxiety or fear and may have enhanced wound healing.

The 71-year-old said throughout her life she often did not notice cuts or burns until she could smell burning flesh and the injuries tended to heal very quickly.

She was given the lowest score on a common anxiety scale, and told researchers she never panics, even in dangerous situations such as a recent traffic incident.

Article goes on...
aol.co.uk/news/2019/03/28/woman-with-gene-mutation-feels-almost-no-pain-researchers-find

Attached: DNA.jpg (1600x1200, 267K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/aug/30/dean-karnazes-man-run-forever
bbc.com/future/story/20170426-the-people-who-never-feel-any-pain
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's not an advantageous mutation

>71 year old
There goes the blue and yellow spandex/black and yellow leather.

Read the article yes it is.

First off, retard, every living organism is a mutant because we all experience mutations.

Second, that is a critically debilitating physical condition that can easily lead to death, it is in no possible fucking way beneficial unless you're already god damn bullet proof

I just imagined.

>Oh my hand was on the stove burner and now I have 4th degree horrific burns and my arm has to be amputated BECAUSE I VANT FEEL PAIN

Yeah great power

don't forget infection!

She has wolverine healing factor too

>First off, retard
First off dumbass I suggest you stop trying to make strawmans, I never suggested mutation isn't part of evolutionary development. If you wasn't dull witted you clearly see the issue is about mutations beyonds what is considered the norm.
>Second, that is a critically debilitating physical condition that can easily lead to death
You clearly have no awareness of the discoveries and breakthroughs made by science in terms of genetic engineering, it's highly likely the next step will be to hone in on the beneficial traits and engineer them without including the negative ones.

No she fucking doesn't and if she did she'd get fucking cancer from how rapidly cell division is taking place.

FEELING PAIN IS A BENEFICIAL TRAIT YOU FUCKING MORON.

ITS HOW YOU KNOW YOURE FUCKING INJURED OR EXPERIENCING INJURY.

>FEELING PAIN IS A BENEFICIAL TRAIT YOU FUCKING MORON.
Interaction with you herp derp is closed you demonstrated conclusively you have no understanding of the leaps and bounds we've made since the human genome was mapped and what potential that affords us in terms of our own biological modification read up on the recent Chinese super twins for example. Regardless of which on principle these days I don't waste time on debating with the ignorant.

>A woman in Scotland who can feel virtually no pain
>She was given the lowest score on a common anxiety scale, and told researchers she never panics, even in dangerous situations such as a recent traffic incident.
>Local woman is literally a human Dodo bird

I'm sure the ability to super-die will be very beneficial someday.

>Retard pretends to be smart, once again claims to know anything despite clearly knowing nothing

You'd have to have the biological and genetic understand of a literal zygote to think not feeling pain is somehow a positive or a potential positive in any possible hypothetical scenario.

Probably seen too much anime where guys bleed profusely and get broken but still keep on going.

Not being able to feel pain isn't a good thing, we need pain

Reminds me of that little girl who didn't feel pain and chewed her fingers off.

Fucking Muties! Coming to our lands, stealing our jobs with their mutie joojoo, wooing our women with their extra limbs! Rise up my fellow humans! Down with the Mutie Menace! And don’t be tricked by their female sirens. They’re all degenerate, coalburning sluts!

Attached: AC060453-90E5-4589-8B51-B98552938CC2.jpg (320x240, 14K)

And her tongue.

Funfacr, you know why we all don't have the genes to not feel pain?

Because the people who did fucking died.

You know why we don't have super strength?

Because we'd rip our bodies apart in the process.

You know why we don't regenerate entire limbs like Deadpool?

Cause we'd get fucking CANCER.

>man does not experience muscle fatigue and can essentially run forever
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/aug/30/dean-karnazes-man-run-forever

Herp Derp psychology 101 is thinking pointing out something blindingly obvious is insightful commentary. The point of the matter is research is now being conducted to determine how the beneficial traits can be engineered in without the negative connotations as I previously noted here . We already know how to dull pain receptors making them less effective without negating them, y'know uuuhhh like an early warning system?

This is a tier thread, absolute trash.

Oh so you're fucking stupid then, and think Gene editing is some form of fucking magic.

Also cool English, retard.

But I thought Yea Forums could use some education and it seemed comic book related.

No merely pointing out your lack of understanding.

You clearly aren't educated you fucking idiot.

You're looking at extremely basic genetic fuckups and screeching about superpowers.

I'm not a biology major, so correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like one hell of a beneficial mutation.

I understand genetics and biology perfectly fine, idiot. That's why you're pissing me off, because you clearly don't.

>Gene editing is some form of fucking magic.
It's not fucking magic, we do in fact now possess the understanding to exactly pin point genetic inheritances. It's da science user, do you wuv da science?

Fatigue is to prevent long term damage to your muscles and skeleton.

Your body is much like a machine, and like any machine if you push it past what it's meant to do for long periods of time youre going to break it

You absolutely do not, you have made clear your misunderstanding of the implications of a comprehensive inventory of the genetic cookbook.

Go back to middle school you underage b&, Jesus Christ.

You herp derped in this thread for attention and then got ass blasted when your elementary observations were exposed.

You're linking to articles about fucking death-chasing chronic illnesses and proclaiming it to be the future of Gene therapy.

Stop pretending you're smart, nobody is buying it.

Thanks for the clarification user.

How old are you because this is embarrassing.

Jesus almighty who actually says "herp derp"? Are you 9?

YES IT FUCKING IS. You stupid son of a bitch of a cell
>Oohohoo let's give mammals the ability to feel pain and be afraid of things to the point their hearts explode.
Suck my fucking dick. Poor unfortunate spiders have to feel everything, while most insects and reptiles don't give a shit if you eat their head off or cut their skin in half to see their heart still beating.

That's it! into the gas chambers we go. C'mon I'm being benevolent. Gas doesn't hurt. Hurry up we ain't /don't have all day. Would you rather an electric chair or to be stuck 80 years in the basement being beaten up and oversexed by some psychopathic sociopath rapist?

I bet you're those retarded cells which feel more anxiety, depression, pain than anyone else. You failure of an evolution. I will rip you to the nucleus you parasites.
Why are you even capable of feeling jealousy and inadequacy? a completely useless emotion? WHY CAN'T YOU FEEL GOOD FOR SOMEONE ELSE? AND JUDGE WHAT IS GOOD AND BAD? Stupid parasitic losers to the very cell you were copied from.

Attached: 7148884279_467385c024.jpg (500x403, 108K)

I'll leave the expert hot take to qualified genetic researches for further analysis and pragmatical consideration as is clearly the stated intention in the article rather than the staid observations of an ass blasted herp derp commenting on an online forum, I think it's better this way all things considered.

Your muscles are actually capable of exerting far more strength than you'd think, but it's kept in check by pain receptors, fatigue, and other limitng psychological factors to prevent self injury. Hypothetically you COULD try lifting a helicopter but your arms would rip out of socket if you did and your back would probably implode.

Actual biology and gene study is pretty neat and there are certain conditions that hold potential to be beneficial in the future, but this guy has melted ice cubes for a brain, don't listen to him. Something like having no pain sensation for example is actively detrimental, it's why we all feel pain, because everyone who didn't didn't live long enough to fuck before modern society

>Something like having no pain sensation for example is actively detrimental
Nobody. Is. Making. The. Argument. That. Pain. Receptors. Aren't. Beneficial.
Stop creating straw mans.

Yeah you should, but you clearly don't understand what any of what you read actually means

Are you okay?

You did in the op, op.

Maybe don't be stupid next time

Attached: relaxnigga.jpg (501x528, 53K)

Course I do user, you're an ass blasted herp derp who barged in to this thread making all kinds of assumptions about other anons understanding which you needed to be corrected on.

Several posts in this thread are making that argument.

Attached: reading.jpg (500x639, 194K)

I am the O.P I didn't mention pain receptors in the op.

Show them.

How the fuck do you think you detect pain, dipshit? Fairy dust?

Nonsense, please read the article.

How old are you. You can't be older than 12

If you were living in the middle ages where you were burned to the stake, impaled, poisoned slowly, afflicted by constant diseases.
Or if you were living between the Cenozoic and Paleozoic and even Neoproterozoic era would you honestly want to feel how you get chomped to death while your brain and heart are still pumping signals and blood?

I'm just saying. Mammals compared to every other species back then were the most infantile creatures on the planet.

Attached: b4f.jpg (569x428, 25K)

Mammals arent... user, Mammals aren't a species.

And all animals feel pain, lizards feel pain just as much as we do, what are you even talking about.

What is this thread? Did someone give a special needs class internet access?

Yes we fucking are.

The limits should be bio-programmed like it is in reptiles, insects, fish which are still capable of strength, agility, healing without needing to feel it.
Mammals are capable of getting used to the point to a limit. Some animals of the same race are capable of giving birth easier than others, but not the majority. Some animals have a higher sex drive than others, etc. etc.

We should not allow our cells do run ad hoc and do whatever they consider is "right for survival" because from history and even now we've seen that mammals are the weakest, dumbest, most handicapped creatures on the planet. Opting for social life, but most of them are terrible at it. Opting for sensation of pleasure and happiness, but also pain and displeasure.

I think technology-assisted biology is the best way to go. Technology could give us information on what's wrong with our body, while biology actually does the job - like it was always meant to be. We should be able to turn on and off and edit our pain receptors when we need it the most. We could feel intense pleasure during sex without affecting our hearts. We could stop feeling pain during wars/competitions. There's a bunch of useless things in our DNA which were sabotaging our quality of life since day 1. Emanating intense rotten odors always gotten us tracked down by predators. Hair is useless because clothes, something other species were too dumb to think of; wearing the skin and fur of others. Feeling pain during birth is also extremely detrimental. Producing ovules and sperm 24/7 is also detrimental. Breeding with anything and everyone is also detrimental. (Goddamn goat fuckers and breeding with people with diseases).

Overall mammals across history were the dumbest, most useless species on the planet. And this planet has a lot of useless DNA strands running around with absolutely abysmal constructions detrimental to themselves.

hey user quick question, what level of education do you have and what fields do you specialize in?

Don't those people die really early because they don't know any better when a car has practically run them over? The 71 year old case is a rarity.

Your dick is a coward.

Apprehending all mutants in this thread.

Apprehending all mutants in this thread.

Attached: 410UPGhbI1L.jpg (341x500, 30K)

>No reply
Looks like you hit the nail on the head.

Bitch I will ghost you so hard.

No fucking shit mutations exist in real life, even before x men people were aware of mutants existing and even theorized a relationship with evolution.

What like the House MD episode with the girl with CIPA?

Don't you have to die first for that?

Was it autism Yea Forums.

imagine if your skin gets caught on literally any sharp object
>what good is jealousy
it gives drive to improve one's situation. if you didn't have it you would live in a fucking garbage fill and just lay down and rot, because you don't want his house/computer/food
>and inadequacy
a key component of empathy and a functioning society

stop being such a fucking baby. you need to feel bad to feel good

How dumb can you be, that is disadvantageous as fuck, imagine not being able to feel the pain or discomfort of when you have to take a shit or piss

>imagine if your skin gets caught on literally any sharp object
Counterpart in the future we should be able to selectively genetically engineer our skin to make it as hard as a rhino's.

>you need to feel bad to feel good
I see Yea Forums taught you well.

Attached: 2004_11_08.png (330x218, 14K)

Imagine having the body of a robot, but the feelings and sensations of a hypersensitive animal.

Every mutation has a chance to be positive you fucking nitwit. The idea is that they could take selective gene therapy using this sample and have an option for people to turn off or lower pain without using painkillers or other harmful substances to manage it. Maybe you should think about the long term before you type. God I don't know why I'm so angry, you just seem like the type who would post Facebook mom tier stupid fucking garbage because you live in the now like a goddamn animal.

Nigga, my brother fucked up his stomach because he didn't feel the need to eat. Sensation receptors in humans are already shit and a shit way to offer information.

What the hell is feeling itchy good for?

can you imagine how fucking uncomfortable it would be to touch your skin and knowing you couldn't cut it even if you tried? and imagine that texture of it as well. fuck that, no one will get that
you don't know even the first fucking thing about genes do you? you can't just insert or take away a core gene like pain without side effects

Getting rid of crawling parasites on your skin

I didn't reference outright stripping the ability to feel pain. I said reducing it. Currently there is a massive opioid epidemic that shows little sign of slowing down, future treatments could look to alternatives for an answer. Also you'd have to be an idiot to think this would be a pill of some sort that just changes your genetics, but gene intake therapy is a real field that is steadily gaining ground. I doubt I'll ever live to see the benefits of such a system but I'll be damned if it isn't interesting.

I didn't expected Yea Forums to have a strong grasp on scientific literacy, or understanding of genetics and evolution, yet I'm still disappointed by this thread.

>imagine that texture of it as well. fuck that
You missed the word I typed 'selectively'

i don't think we can make it hard without making it
feel hard

Parts of the body user, not texture.

>lizards feel pain just as much as we do
Tell that to the croc in that webm that get's arm bitten off by his buddy and his only reaction is a slow "The fuck, Steve?" kind of look

>What the hell is feeling itchy good for?
Removing the literal tons of dead skin cells that inevitably accumulate over a lifetime?

Are you retarded, user?

Of course it felt pain, you idiot, animals like crocs just don't express it like we do

>ITT:Retard tries to be smart and pretends to know anything at all, clearly knowing next to nothing and having the mental fortitude of a toddler
>BUH BUH YU CAN SELEC DA POSITIVES GATTACA GATTACA GATTACA
Embarrassing

Why would we do that?

Yeah let's just make it impossible to perform emergency surgery, or remove foreign objects that get lodged in the body, and arbitrarily increase the required metabolic intake of a human being to sustain the extra material and weight of having inch-thick Kevlar skin.

Thanks shit doesn't exist in a vacuum you moron, there are drastic side effects to every change

Even that is dangerously stupid you nitwit.

Imagine how many people would die if you couldn't tell the difference in the severity of injuries.

How many would die if a ruptured organ, bullet wound, severe laceration all felt like a paper cut or bruise.

I like how people who take this op's story as inspirational ignore how the woman has had memory problems all her life and her condition was only detected when she came into the hospital for a hip problem she was slow to notice because of the no-pain thing.

She would have been 15 when the original X-Men comics appeared

>bbc.com/future/story/20170426-the-people-who-never-feel-any-pain
>From an evolutionary perspective, one of the reasons scientists believe CIP is so rare is because so few individuals with the disorder reach adulthood. “We fear pain, but in developmental terms from being a child to being a young adult, pain is incredibly important to the process of learning how to modulate your physical activity without doing damage to your bodies, and in determining how much risk you take,”
>Betz has been to hospital more times than he can remember. He has a slight limp in his left leg, due to an infection, known as osteomyelitis, following a tibial bone fracture sustained skateboarding. “You learn that you have to pretend you have pain to prevent yourself from being reckless,” he says. “Which isn’t easy when you don’t know what it is. I now to try to be vigilant otherwise one day my body will just give out.”
Thanks for proving once again just how legitimately retarded you are Yea Forums.

Attached: 1537998833926.png (326x322, 23K)

>We should not allow our cells do run ad hoc and do whatever they consider is "right for survival" because from history and even now we've seen that mammals are the weakest, dumbest, most handicapped creatures on the planet. Opting for social life, but most of them are terrible at it. Opting for sensation of pleasure and happiness, but also pain and displeasure
Motherfucker humanity literally conquered an entire planet and mammals are smarter than anything but birds typically. Are you serious?

Damn, no wonder people here read comic books instead of real books.

Goddamn, this just won 'Dumbest Post of the Year' and it's still fucking March. Please don't breed (not that that's an issue)

Attached: 1553354120240.png (2183x1532, 142K)

Theres an entire show about real life mutants.

>from history and even now we've seen that mammals are the weakest, dumbest, most handicapped creatures on the planet.
>Overall mammals across history were the dumbest, most useless species on the planet.
Despite your existence bekng a decent argument for mammals being morons you're plainly and hilariously wrong. Mammals are a wildly successful group of animals precisely because of their intelligence and social dynamics.

Dumb ass do you understand what selectively means? Why do you retards always run with the most extreme literal of interpretations for any given scenario. Hardened density applied selectively the skin area covering the ribs for example would help to prevent a lot of injuries to that area of the body.

That's retarded. Our bodies aren't built for that, idiot

not to mention dying of appendicitis

Studying the mutation could be helpful to find novel ways to control pain. Obviously, if the healing is a little better than usual (I doubt by much) that'd be helpful to understand, too.

Less anxiety in today's world is also an unmitigated benefit to nearly everyone, though. Anxiety helps if you just need to bolt away from an unintelligent predator every now and then, but that hardly ever happens anymore and it's better to keep a cool head even in a very dangerous situation. The level of anxiety that served very early hominins well enough at one point today leads instead to negative health outcomes and early death/increased mortality (such as through health problems), decreased evolutionary fitness, decreased efficiency/productivity/cognitive function and decreased quality of life. Our anxiety response is vestigal, primitive, out of date. It just can't deal with constant low-level threats and is maladaptive in today's world.

Not being able to feel pain is another matter. People who can't feel pain are nothing new (I doubt the other "mutations" are new or novel either, but inability to feel pain in people is well documented). The probably with no pain is you can't tell if there's an injury or anything else wrong, especially internally. It's considered dangerous because the normal detection system for harm is broken. That's different from just not feeling as much pain or it not seeming as unpleasant to some people so it's a matter of degree.

Biology is not your strong point and also you're seemingly unaware that skin grafts already exist.

This user gets it, the rest well...I debate in hindsight the wisdom of introducing a /sci/ subject to Yea Forums

Skim grafts don't make you fucking bulletproof you retard

>Local dipshit unaware of how thick rhino hide is or how the concept of kinetic energy works

>Skim grafts don't make you fucking bulletproof you retard
Now here's a fine example of herp derp psychology 101: Attempt to attribute a claim that is glaringly obvious I at no point made.

Why the future would you need rhino-like skin on a human then.

What could it POSSIBLY be used for that outweighs how much more stress it would place on your organs and ligaments, and how complicated it would make emergency procedures

Rhino hide was meant to be illustrative of the point I was making not literal. I understand that herp derp psychology requires every statement to be verbatim and then to go full brain dead twatism on it.

Why do you keep talking like a retard

Just forget about the 'rhino hide' example for now if it helps and just imagine that certain parts of the body can be genetically modified to increase efficiency and exhibit beneficial traits.

That makes sense though.

Ronald McRetard over here can't formulate a hypothetical to save his fucking life.

Please I'm begging you. You can have your shitty mutant argument just stop saying herp derp

Because it's necessary to spell out word for word every possible permutation of descriptive text for pedantic asses incapable of hypothesis leanings. Honestly it gets fucking tiring.

Anyone in those situations you described would have to be an absolute moron not to seek medical attention. A bullet wound not hurting as much wouldn't stop the person from realizing "Holy fuck, i've been shot" and get their ass to an ER immediately. Also, paper cuts hurt like a BITCH, the fuck you talking about?

Oh so you're just stupid then.

>shitty mutant argument
Oh you don't know how wrong you are, genetic engineering is the future and it can't be stopped now the genie is out the bottle.

>ITT retards think no pain=an advantage
It’s important stimuli that basically tells your body something is wrong. The goal is to improve the body’s durability, not remove the our understanding of our own body.

Francis from Deadpool has a shitty mutation

user, do you know how common it is for people to get shot and not realize it until way later even WITH pain reception?

>reptiles don’t feel pain
Pure retardation.

No you're just fucking brain dead user, pedantically examining statements and then attributing disingenuous false claims based upon them is a sure sign of one who is perpetually stupid.

Attached: iewe.png (1680x1050, 2.09M)

In a combat situation where the adrenaline is flowing like a goddam waterfall all around? Sure.
Your average joe getting shot up at the local mall when some kid gets fed up and wants to go out in a blaze of glory? Pretty sure they'd notice

Not him, but in both cases adrenaline is active and the injured party still might not realize they were shot when running away until seeing blood. So I’m not sure why you think pain isn’t a good thing

This, there have been lots of people who were born with mutations like this. The reason those kinds of mutations aren't more common is because not feeling pain means they never learn to associate pain with danger, so they don't usually live very long. Oddly relevant note: there's an X-Men story where Xavier nearly bleeds to death because of a cut on his legs he didn't notice because he's completely numb from the waist down.

Mutants are real, the x-gene isn't real.

>You know why we don't regenerate entire limbs like Deadpool?
>Cause we'd get fucking CANCER.

That's probably why Wade survived, he already had cancer.

If you have blue eyes, you're a mutant.

If you're an adult and you're not lactose intolerant, you're a mutant.

>herp derp

>Herp Derp

>herp derped

>herp derp

>herp derp

>herp derp

>herp derp

>herp derp

What is this faggot shit?

Attached: 1511321773902.png (337x334, 172K)

ADRENALINE YOU FUCKING IDIOT. ADRENALINE KICKS IN EVEN IF YOU'RE AN AVERAGE JOE.

This is the lowest IQ thread i've ever seen on this board. Congratulations!

Attached: 2ldenj.png (640x845, 380K)

Mutants are very real, mutants that shit out thunderstorms or have metal skeletons in which they can use as a weapon are not. Also:
>myfuckingfacewhen so many brainlets here cannot comprehend simple biology and physiology

Attached: A0C1F61B-B947-4A4A-A67E-BBCC9CC2F50D.png (600x656, 353K)

This board has been accumulating actual retarded people for the past few months.

Its fucking astonishing how when i think this board has gone as low, hit a new low, hit rock fucking bottom, SOMEHOW it finds a new way to disappoint me even more and be even more fucking stupid.

To be fair fhe woman is living in scotland so she's pretty much in medieval times.

What's this from?

>People think she's an X-Men style mutant
>She's actually been worshipping Nurgle

This is bad.

Attached: super scared.png (222x227, 44K)

Pseudointellectual fuckwits tend to have a very limited vocabulary, and will repeat words over an over, including made up ones.

I'm starting to think that moot saw this coming years ago

is it just the one retard are are they actually more than one who thinks that having no pain is beneficial.

I hope its one dedicated phoneposter who keeps hitting that airplane icon.

They end up poking out their own eyes as toddlers. Sometimes they have all their teeth pulled so they don't chew off their fingers.

Okay fag

Everyone is a mutant.

The genes that are selected for by natural selection had to originate somewhere before they could be selected for.

Mutations are where genes originate.

Even if you have BROWN eyes, you're a mutant. It's just that blue eyes are a more recent mutation than brown eyes.

TLDR: We are ALL mutie scum on this blessed day