CAPTAIN MARVEL Rejected Ideas & Deleted Scenes

>Reed Morano, Niki Caro, Elizabeth Wood, Emily Carmichael, Jennifer Kent, Rebecca Thomas, Rachel Talalay, Jennifer Yuh Nelson, Leslie Linka Glatter and Lorene Scafario were approached to direct before Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck were hired.

>There were talks about introducing Captain Marvel in AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, joining the battle against Thanos in Titan and surviving the snap alongside Iron Man and Nebula, but it was ultimately decided it would be better to introduce her in her own movie.

>Although Brie Larson was always the studio’s choice for Carol Danvers, Katee Sackhoff, Kathryn Winnick, Blake Lively and Evan Rachel Wood, among others, were also considered.

>DeWanda Wise was originally cast as Maria Rambeau, but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts and was replaced by Lashana Lynch. Gugu Mbatha-Raw was also considered.

>Keanu Reeves was originally cast as Yon-Rogg, but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts and was replaced by Jude Law.

>Early drafts featured Helen Cobb, a veteran pilot and Carol’s mentor at the Air Force.

>Early drafts featured the Sentries, giant robots controlled by Ronan that Carol would have fought to protect Earth.

>Minn-Erva originally had a bigger role, exploring her rivalry with Carol and her resentment at being spurned as Yon-Rogg's favorite because of her.

>Mar-Vell was originally a man who masquerades as Dr. Walter Lawson and recruit Carol to test the Tesseract-powered lightspeed engine. Believing both Mar-Vell and Helen Cobb felt superfluous to the narrative, the writers decided to merge them into one.

>Early cuts feature an extended confrontation between Carol and the Supreme Intelligence at Mar-Vell’s ship.

>A deleted scene features Yon-Rogg meeting the Supreme Intelligence and seeing it as the thing he admires the most: Himself.

>An alternative post-credits scene features Yon-Rogg getting stranded in Sakaar and forced to become one of the Grandmaster's gladiators.

Attached: Captain Marvel.jpg (1200x630, 214K)

Brad Pitt was reportedly approached to play Mar-Vell before the character was reimagined.

Attached: Mar-Vell.png (892x384, 592K)

Where were you getting these?

They did Mar-Vell so fucking dirty in the movie.

Actually a minor point for me. Mar-Vell is so obscure by now and hasn't actually been in a comic since 1982, and the comics he did have were not very good.

Reports, interviews, the works.

>>Minn-Erva originally had a bigger role, exploring her rivalry with Carol and her resentment at being spurned as Yon-Rogg's favorite because of her.

Then why the fuck did you waste Gemma Chan for that?!

Mar-Vell was a literally who even when he was in comics, man.

Minority casting to prove that Sisney ain’t racist against Asians.

I'm grateful, because I really did not need another Nebula/Gamora thing going on in Marvel Cosmic.

>>Early drafts featured Helen Cobb, a veteran pilot and Carol’s mentor at the Air Force.
>>Mar-Vell was originally a man who masquerades as Dr. Walter Lawson and recruit Carol to test the Tesseract-powered lightspeed engine. Believing both Mar-Vell and Helen Cobb felt superfluous to the narrative, the writers decided to merge them into one.
>Brad Pitt was reportedly approached to play Mar-Vell before the character was reimagined.
I just wish they had scrapped Mar-Vell and just used Helen Cobb, save Marv for something else
That does not refute what that user said they did do him dirty, not to mention his comics were where Marvel cosmic was born and what made a lot of stories possible. Early Captain Marvel was bad but the later stuff was interesting IMO
>and hasn't actually been in a comic since 1982
That is a lie, he hasn't been permanently brought back but he has been in comics and is relevant enough that they keep digging him back once in awhile.
yeah that's why his comic lasted for sixty something issues, why he still kept being featured in other stories, why he still keeps popping up from time to time even if he's dead.
Might also be because they went through 7 writers and it shows, whatever one writer had in mind the other writers just went and fucked with it which is why the movie feels like it changes tone a lot

This is a superhero movie.
Stars like to be in them because it's light work and a good paycheck and gets them favor with the studio, Producers like to cast them because it adds star power. Audiences just like that moment of recognition.
This is how you get Lawrence Fishburne as Perry White. It's not because LF is trying to ride that role to enhance his career.

>Might also be because they went through 7 writers and it shows, whatever one writer had in mind the other writers just went and fucked with it which is why the movie feels like it changes tone a lot
It changes tone a lot less than movies like GotG 2 or Ragnarok or Doctor Strange, nor does it feel disjointed simply because it has serious moments and bits of levity.

I feel the effort you are putting into hating this movie might be better spent on some other aspect of your life.
Batman doesn't hate crime with this sort of commitment.

Attached: Alpha.png (390x553, 170K)

Yes it does, it's sci-fi, it's a buddy cop movie, it's a lifetime movie, then it's superhero action towards the end.

GotG and Ragnarok were more consistent, havebn't seen Doctor Strange.

Pretty much, superhero movies are the new western so they are pumping up movies of whatever literal who or b or c shitlist they can do and it will get them money.

It's why we have Captain Marvel in the first place.

There are sci-fi buddy/cop movies you know.
Men in Black comes to mind immediately. And it was always going to be a superhero movie, the flying/blasting shit was pronouncedly advertised in the trailers.
I think you might have been the only one confused/surprised in the audience.

>106672579
>no argument
cool and for the record Idon't hate this movie and therefore you get no (You)

Ye old Batman and Robin tv show used to have cameos out the ass for the very same reason, agents were putting older mega-stars in the Donner films. It's not a new phenomena.

Older stars want to be "cool" with the kids, or need a mansion payment. Hot, up-and-comers want the facetime and credits with the studio.

Men in Black was more consistent with the buddy sci-fi thing going hand in hand all the way through, I dunno for me Captain Marvel just felt like it was frankensteined together.
>I think you might have been the only one confused/surprised in the audience.
No other people share my opinion, why are you so defensive BTW?

>I'll retreat into Full Autist!

Attached: 1381305747200.jpg (184x184, 8K)

>106672675
Why are you mad?

Probably worried that she would show up Larson if given something to work with.

We know, you don't have to announce yourself.

Yeah because the show was popular, eveyrone wanted to be in it. Same with Western and anything that's popular. No duh

Men in Black started out as a subtle "weird shit is going on" movie with a skin-stealing alien, then turns into super-lazor guns and giant cockroach monsters, ends with a super-dimensional alien playing with our galaxy in a marble. Captain Marvel infers pretty obviously that the Kree are sabotaging her powers (whatever their source) almost immediately.

It doesn't play around with much mystery (besides Mar-Vell's identity/agenda). The story is mainly Carol discovering what we already easily guess and unlocking her powers. It's really not that complicated a movie.
Certainly not a confusing one.

That's why it's silly to expect these sorts of roles to be important to the story. Perry White is only in MoS/BvS to be a hotheaded idiotic Editor in Chief.
Jeremy Irons is practically asleep as Alfred in the DCEU. Gemma Chan is practically no one, and it's nice she's bit parts. This is how Gadot basically started.

And Jolie will be in Eternals.

Batman is a billionaire playboy who gets to beat the shit out of people and hang out with superheroes. Leave us alone.

As Thena or Sersi?

>Twist: she plays Kro, in drag

>A deleted scene features Yon-Rogg meeting the Supreme Intelligence and seeing it as the thing he admires the most: Himself.
I would've loved to see this scene in the movie even though it's pretty useless to the plot.
>An alternative post-credits scene features Yon-Rogg getting stranded in Sakaar and forced to become one of the Grandmaster's gladiators.
wut

> Evan Rachel Wood could have been Carol...
INCOMPETENT
FUCKING
TRASH
She is 500 times better then Larson in everyway except boobs.

Attached: dd1497fb595db2dbd910379adde466ab.gif (500x269, 1022K)

Attached: tumblr_lt3n9rpg061r086dio1_500.gif (500x222, 389K)

Attached: BarrenHandsomeAngelfish-small.gif (500x250, 1018K)

>wut

It's just a gag where he gets lost on his way back to Hala and ends up in the Devil's Anus.

Brie is far more talented and is a way better fit for Carol so no.

Katheryn Winnick would have been perfect.

>Brie is far more talented
>and is a way better fit for Carol

These are mutually contradictory.

>Captain Marvel
You misspelled Aquabro.

Gladiator scene would have been great

>An alternative post-credits scene features Yon-Rogg getting stranded in Sakaar and forced to become one of the Grandmaster's gladiators
WHY DID THEY DELETE THIS

Attached: 1237830890191.jpg (337x253, 14K)

>implying Jude Law wants to be sequel-baited

He pulled a Red Skull

Getting sent to Sakaar as a punishment for failure would work better.

I think the Sakaar scene was just Yon-Rogg going "where the f am I" - not outright him becoming one of the gladiators.

Also, glad most of these things were cut and rejected.

It isn't that superfluous actually.
Think of what it means: the guy is on the one hand extremely arrogant and self-loving, on the other hand, he already has supreme faith in himself and his own judgment. Something that Carol also comes to have.

Yon-Rogg's and Carol's dynamic is what the film centres on through the betrayal aspect, and the writers and people behind the film have already stated that despite being a complete arsehole, Law's character actually genuinely cares for Carol as a person (attracted to her humanity and finds her irresistible).

They did not explore the Kree in anywhere near the amount that was needed in order to make the stakes and tension of Carol's realising what all has happened to her meaningful, but that SI scene at least establishes Yon-Rogg as a foil and a mirror to Carol - which is the fucking point, given he and the Kree make up a big part of Carol's identity (literally - re the blood transfusion).

The moral is that Carol is more than the sum of her parts, and that's for her to define and decidde upon and not for anyone else.

Listen, let’s be clear about something regarding Captain Marvel.

The Kree tell Carol to suppress her emotions because suppressing emotions counteracts her ever recalling something about her past (that’s how long-term memory functions). It therefore stops her from taking back control over her life’s narrative, which would lead to the empowerment that comes with really knowing yourself. She overcomes it. It’s fantastic! However!

It is the insidious disregard the Kree show toward individuals and their right to self-determination that Carol struggles with. THAT is the inherent evil she overcomes in the film. It’s something universal.

Sexism, though we see it in the way Carol was treated on Earth and therefore take the Kree ALSO as an analogy to our world, is not why the antagonists are evil in this film.

Yon-Rogg’s advice to “control emotions and not let them cloud your judgment” may echo the belittling gender dynamics of our world, but it is an analogy - the Kree are not putting Carol in this situation in the film because she is a woman. Carol is a soldier - that is sound advice for a soldier. It is because the Kree do not care about an individual’s freedom on the whole that Yon-Rogg’s advice is abusive. Not because he cannot stand to see a woman do well in battle.

If the military is anything to go by among the Kree, they are egalitarian and above gender dynamics the way we understand them - as a soldier, Carol’s almost living her best life in regard to “opportunities”.

Yon-Rogg is a lying, authoritarian, manipulative space fascist with a superiority complex. He is decidedly not, however, a blatant misogynist.

He was fine with sequels for RDJ Sherlock

Imagine being a Green Lantern fan and they announce a new Green Lantern film.
It's Oliver Queen, and the whole film is about Queen's left-wing politics.
Hal Jordan is there, she's a Guardian of the Universe.
John Stewart is a little boy who does nothing except talk about how great Queen is.
Anyone who disagrees with this choice is called literally Hitler by the media.

That's kind of how I suspect Mar-Vell fans are feeling right about now.

It would have completely undermined the whole scene where Carol sends Yon-Rogg with his tail between his legs and the whole “you tell everyone what happened here” schpeal

>This is how you get Lawrence Fishburne as Perry White. It's not because LF is trying to ride that role to enhance his career.
Still grieving about the gigantic waste of talent that is Ant/Man and the Wasp
>Although Brie Larson was always the studio’s choice for Carol Danvers, Katee Sackhoff, Kathryn Winnick
>Kathryn Winnick
Another piece of trivia that will never not hurt.

The scene was cut specifically so he could come back in the sequels.

Because Feige was so pleased with Law's performance that they want him for a sequel.

both those things can still happen, he can still get off sakaar

>Mar-Vell fans

He's been dead since 1982.
He has literally been dead since before Transformers became a franchise. Before the original Secret Wars, before the Crisis on Infinite Earths, before Alan Moore started writing Swamp Thing, before pretty much anything.

How does Mar-Vell have active fans?

I love the Marvel cosmic side of things, but even I think the “disrespect” towards Mar-Vell is exaggerated. The movies have never followed the comics closely and never will. I can get that the like 10 Mar-Vell fans that still like him may be pissed off, but anyone else who complains just feels like they’re looking for any excuse to hate Carol cause “muh feminism and muh SJW Marvel”. No one, especially Marvel, cares about Mar-Vell. He was always an attempt to keep the Captain Marvel name away from DC and has never been that important. His best story is LITERALLY the story where he fucking dies.

You do realize that everything you said about lack of fans could be applied to Carol just days before the movie came out? Yet that doesn't stop Marvel from bending over backwards for her

Rorschach's been dead since 1986.

>The movies have never followed the comics closely

I am a Hank Pym fan and I will never not be mad about what they did to Ultron.

But he's one in one of the seminal works of the medium. Plus, people who are fans of Rorschach without irony should not be taken seriously.

I feel you, bro.

Could've had Alan Tudyk playing Pym in a better-structured Agents of SHIELD that tied into the movies more.

Could've had Ultron instead of James Spader playing Bender.

>Eternal bitch facing and emotionless dialogue count as acting

Yeah, no. Anyone would have been better than Brie.

>Keanu Reeves as Yon-Rogg
Good we saved him for a better role
>Mar-Vell was originally a man
I think we already knew that, did we?
>Yon-Rogg being stranded in Sakaar
If only Goose coughed up the Tesseract before the credits...

>Early drafts featured the Sentries

No surprise they wouldn't include them, they must really hate source material.

Attached: 459.jpg (695x415, 179K)